October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

The leaves are falling and everything. Here's a shadowbox I put together for a painting of my Grandma's, (not my former landlady, that was my Dad's Mom). She loves that painting, I think it reminds her of her when she was young, she is half indian.
I got a whopping $1.82 in that painting, that's what it cost at the hardware store to have the glass for it cut, the rest of the stuff I already had. See the little pieces of cardboard I glued in there to keep the glass off the painting? When I gave it to her she asked if I could make more, it's no problem to make more I told her.
Well, I should be out doing something in the yard but I got a cold or something and don't feel like doing anything! Actually, starting tomorrow, I think I'm going to set some plants back outside that I've already brought in, so they can get some sun.
This week, everyday it's supposed to be in the 80's. - http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/64054
Will

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 5:20 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

We went to a car show early today and was home by about 2pm. It was in Pattonsburg. That is the city the Feds moved because it flooded every time it rained. It is a fun place to go. Some of the people decided to move their old houses so there are some probably 100 year old houses with a brand new house next to it and no trees, or very small trees cause it was built in a field...when you drive into it you just know something is odd... ;) They always have a great car show and people come from Iowa, Missouri, Ks, and even saw tags from Oklahoma.

Then I spent the day watering. It is soooo dry. I can't find the sprinkler, don't have a clue where I put it. Makes me crazy when I do that.

Will I love bamboo but don't want any. I am a giant chicken after seeing my friend have her yard dug up and the soil hauled away which I believe was 4 feet down, the entire yard. I know her basement was out in the open and there were make shift steps to get in. I need to find those pics. I don't think weed killier will kill it either.

The skys have been crystal clear, no smog, no humidity, just beautiful.
Love the statement about the weather liars...rofl. Only thing about the weather you can trust is what you see...rofl.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I did pretty much nothing today. lol. Cleaned house a bit and lazy rest of day.

That bed will take a ton of elbow grease. But I already have some plants so that's a start. Just have to dig it all back out and make the soil something plants can actually grow in. I'm hoping the extra work will make it worth it.

I'm a bamboo chicken too!!! Powell Gardens doesn't even grow bamboo except for this one clumping kind where the perennial garden meets the rock and waterfall garden. And it's a clumping bamboo so it behaves better. A very deep concrete trough with at least a foot of concrete sticking above the ground is the best way to grow it. Or build a planter on a deck that has no way for the bamboo to escape. lol

Purple and red salvia

Thumbnail by pepper23

I don't want to give someone a problem later, I'm gonna try to make sure the bamboo is well controlled in pots or something, or somehow above ground. I'm wondering now if this bamboo is evergreen. I'm not the homeowner here, she pretty much lets me do most things that are an improvement, even though I always ask her, I don't want to give her a problem later on down the road. She wouldn't think too highly of me if she had to remove 4 feet of dirt from her whole yard! That is a colorful picture of the flowers there, Pepper.
I remember hearing about Pattonsburg, MO. in the news, it was always flooding.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, is the paint on the shed what's in the can you already have? I look forward to seeing what color you come up with using the dye.

Nope, it's a picture of a guy showing how tall bamboo gets :o) I saw it on Facebook, but didn't have time to do more than check it out. I'll get back there tho, to comment.

Cool, I think Tron looks good, but I've never played games to know anything about it. I wonder how many years before HBO gets it? LOL!

Yeah, that's the perfect caption!

Very nice shadowbox! My Mom liked Indians and I gave her statues for Christmas for a few years. I have them now.

I took my rain lily into the garage and will be setting it back into the sun too. I'm wondering if a light frost would be good for it, just to stop the leaves from continuing to be green, half way into winter. I have to store it under a closet and it's hard to get to it to check on it.

Bummer on the cold :o(

Happ, to move a whole town. They did that to a town in Iowa and I often think what it would be like if they moved us. We are down in an old swamp with high bluffs half way around us. At least the property lines would be clear. It's awesome that people actually were able to take their old houses. That's wonderful!

Oh my! Are you serious??? That is horrible!! No bamboo ever, for me either!!

LOL! Absolutely, and so far, I see stars :o)

Pepper, as long as there isn't any root grass or other invasive in there, it will be beautiful next year. Even just being planted with different colors and heights is a huge difference.

LOVE both those plants!

Will, just think of the pond she would have and it would already be dug deep. Heck, a swimming pool would be better, LOL! A ''disaster'' has some promise.... Notice that it's ''fine'' in your yard but not mine...

Well, gotta move on. I have a tub full of green tomatoes turning color and I want a green tomato pie and fried green tomatoes.

Have a good day all!

Tron has probably already been on HBO, I looked, my friend recorded it on Starz the other day, it is included in the poor-person Dishtv package! It's not like it used to be, a lot of times on good movies, they don't wait a long time to put them on regular tv, well not network tv, but satellite or cable channels are much more likely to have them. We've already seen movies like The Social Network, The Green Hornet, Inception and Avatar. The Social Network was on Starz, it's still in the dvr, Inception is still in there, it was recorded on HBO, it was a free preview of HBO a couple of months ago. The Green Hornet was recorded on Starz as well. I don't recall what channel Avatar was recorded from, it's already been deleted. Thats what you do though, when the free preview comes on HBO, you record like heck! The free preview for HBO usually only lasts 3 days. But, back to Avatar, that was a great movie. The critics talked back then like it was all animation and colors and stuff, but it has a good story, it might even make you cry, if you're a crying type, not me! That movie has special significance to a tree or plant person because there is an unworldly huge tree that is the home for all the aliens in the movie, it is pretty well idolized, that's all I'll say, in case somebody hasn't seen it!

Oh no, that shed was painted that color before my friend bought this house in 96'. It looks like Redwood latex to me too. I put that photo on Facebook and tagged you on that photo but it sure is corny!

Thanks Sally, she loves that shadowbox!

They must really like their houses, I thought it was pretty expensive to move a house!
edited to include another movie that I forgot.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 8:03 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Will, if you are talking about moving houses in Pattsonburg, the feds paid for it or sort of because the feds bought Pattonsburg out to get them away from the constant flooding and fixing. Which was cheaper in the end I am sure.

Wish I could say I got something accomplished but not so much. :) Have tons to do and I am letting this great weather fly by. Really dumb on my part. I need to find the sprinkler and I couldn't find it any where!

Oh I see, yeah, I was talking about Pattonsburg, Mo. I know the feeling about not getting much accomplished, altho you could be being humble! Hehe! Seriously tho, I feel like I could do more sometimes, but right now I just have this runny nose, I am always looking for toilet paper or something to blow my honking nose! Like just now, I sneezed 3 times!
Will
p.s. I must water later, they said on the news we haven't had rain in Kc. in 15 days!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Will - Nice shadow box.

Pepper - Your salvias are very pretty. Nice photo, too. I'm a bamboo chicken, too! I know there are some non-invasive kinds, but I haven't checked into those.

Happ - You need to get more than one sprinkler! Haha. We have about eight of them...not because we need that many, we just keep trying different kinds and can't decide which one we like best. LOL

Hi, Sally!

Hi Ima! Thanks! See all the Iris, in this link, that I got from you? - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8828537 They are flourishing! I'll get them planted in a sunny spot. I think you said they are the Blue Flag kind, that'll look good when I get them planted in a sunny spot. That's them in the cream colored pot and the black pot, that pot of Forsythia to the right of them got planted last week, that's a little Lilac to the left of the black pot. I think Forsythia will bloom yellow in the shade! I wasn't too worried about where it went, but I found a sunny spot for it I think.

Hi Pepper, I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I don't think the 'Black Knight' is gonna show a sign of life. The 'Blue Nahno' looks like it is doing swimmingly, I've planted it.
Stuff happens and I may be wrong, I've been wrong before! The 'Black Knight' could spring to life yet!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I planted up 2 Ligularia's 'Midnight Lady's tonite. The "shade garden" is such a small area (4.5' x 7' rectangular), I hope I did okay by planting them only 6 inches from the wall and 6" from the concrete on the sides of them.
I am gonna try to squeeze a couple more Hostas in there as well as a couple of Autumn Ferns, that are getting of pretty good size as well, in pots.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Give it a chance til mid to late spring just in case. It just might be in major shock. At least we can hope that it is. lol

If you guys haven't voted in the DG County Fair I highly recommend doing it. There are some great pics in there!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have been enjoying this beautiful weather. We've been having 70's and 80's. I dug up about seven lantanas that I am going to try to overwinter this year. I have preened my rose berm. I kept vacillating back and forth whether to preen or not to preen. I am not going to have any re-seeding annuals in that berm, so I thought I would try to overwinter some of the lantanas. They have come from seed this summer. I am also going to try to do some lantana cuttings. I am also going to try to dig up and overwinter some pentas and take cuttings of them also. I like both the pentas and the lantanas, and they sell for about 3.50 per plant. I am glad I made the decision to preen the rose berm. I was tired of reaching under the thorny rose bushes to get to the weeds.
I keep working on the gardens and it seems they never are completely finished.
I bought some Hucheras at Lowe's. They were 2.80 each. They are very pretty. I have been wanting Hucheras for a couple of years now, so was glad they were on the clearance rack. I could use some more, however. I am putting them as an edging along a trio of Dogwoods.
Hubby is going to make a cold frame so we can have dill, cilantro and probably lettuce and radishes.
Pepper, we too have seen the movie, "The Help" recently. It was very good. However, we listened to the book on tape first, and it was even better than the movie.
We're planning a canoe trip down the "Current River". We try to do that each fall. It is a beautiful canoe trip. The colorful trees reflect onto the water. The water is slow this time of year, and we just glide down the river.
We went to see the musicals: "Into the Woods" locally, and "The Addam's Family" at the Fox in St L. They were both very entertaining.
I have read the past posts but did not find how Crit's finger is by now? Any news there?
Will, you must like "living on the edge". There's no way I would plant bamboo nor Lilly of the Valley. Wow!

Hi birder! Its been a while! I'm looking forward to browsing The Home Depot and Lowes's Fall Clearances myself! I tell you, I'm going to have a "fall clearance box store collection of plants", at least they'll get big eventually! I have 5 Heucheras myself, 3 purple ones and 2 light green chartreuse ones. It sounds like a good plan there, birder, as edging on the 3 Dogwoods. Mine are going to be relegated to the shade, some in the shade garden, but I'm thinking only 2 will fit there.

Boy, I'm glad I haven't eaten any Cantaloupe lately. We do eat Cantaloupe pretty regularly but haven't for about 2 months, they just said on the news 2 people in KS. have died from Listeria in Cantaloupe from CO.
I haven't heard about Crit's finger, I hope it's doing well for her. I've been down the Current River too, but I went in early June when I went and it was pretty fast. A few places were downright treacherous! On that trip, a Sister and her boyfriend at the time capsized and all their stuff went downstream! Haha, they had just bought a new camcorder, they took it back to Walmart for a refund when they got back! Hehe, if you're Walmart, this was over ten years ago..lol! The scenery there is beautiful though!

Haha! I'm gonna try hard to keep the bamboo under control if at all possible! I'm even thinking I should get those Bamboos out of those kitty litter buckets even though, conceivably, they look pretty well contained for a while. It just troubles me that they'll get out sometime in the future and all heck will break loose! I can't stop thinking how those buckets will crack eventually from the freezing and thawing, and bamboo will be running everywhere. Since I've seen firsthand the grief that it's causing and other bad stories I really have third thoughts. I'm thinking that running bamboo is a pot planter plant only, get a brass pot and put it in the house for gosh sakes..lol! Living on the edge should only be an involuntary matter haha! My friend here loves her some Lily-Of-The-Valley though, she'd be fine if the whole yard was Lily-Of-The-Valley. It sounds bad but it's true, for years she had nothing but Bush Honeysuckle! She says Lily-Of-The-Valley reminds her of being at home. There is one Lily-Of-The-Valley out there that survived out of 6 of them that I planted here last Spring.
The only vine Honeysuckle is this "Halls Honeysuckle" in the photo that's growing up a former clothesline. I watch it, but I hear that the vines of it aren't as nasty. Unfortunately, there are Bush Honeysuckle seedlings popped up everywhere, I pull them when they get no taller than about 4 to 6 inches tall. In 07' my friend surprised me and hired a couple off Angieslist that did landscaping to pull all the Bush Honeysuckle out.

Pepper, where is DG County Fair, I looked, I couldn't find it? Oh yes, I'm gonna leave 'Black Knight' out there, that's my style to water plants and make sure they have sun, several have came back for me when they are seemingly dead. For example, purple Wandering Jew cuttings take about 2 months to show signs of life I found out, I don't give up on anything! I thought that Cardinal plant was a goner but it was in among the other plants that got sun and water (even in 108°weather), that's just my way, to leave something for a while, a long while, and that Cardinal plant sprouted at the roots and I have already planted it.
Will

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 11:14 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Will, How nice to have someone from Angie's List do some landscaping and what a nice friend! Did they do a nice job? I don't think Angie's List would be all that useful in this unpopulated area. I think it's more of a suburban thing. I have often thought about hiring a couple of guys to re-seed my lawn or do some landscaping jobs around my house, but I am always afraid they would be checking out the place to come back later and do some kind of bad thing. Heck, look at Elizabeth Smart.

I need to harvest my basil and make pesto to freeze for later. It's so good. I am waiting on just a little more motivation. Probably in the form of a threat of a freeze! Ha!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Will - Glad your irises are happy. It sounds like you've been busy planting. Your shade bed sounds like it will be lovely. The Ligularia will get big, though. They get about 30 inches wide by 30-36 tall. But I don't know how long they take to get that big. Might as well enjoy them till they outgrow the space.

I hadn't thought about it when you first mentioned they were in pots, but ,yeah, scary to think of the pot freezing and cracking and the roots escaping. Yikes!

Birder - Good deal on the Heucheras! Isn't it great when you find a deal like that, especially on something you've been looking for? They will be pretty as an edging for your dogwoods. I like Lantanas and Pentas, too. My aunt in Miami, FL has a hedge of red Pentas along her front walk. They are 4-foot-tall by 3-foot-wide shrubs -- so big that she has to trim them to keep them from growing out over her sidewalk!

Several of my friends have read the book and seen the movie, "The Help" and said they were both great. I just started reading the book. Looks to be a good read. Generally, I find that when there is a movie made from a book, the book is better.

What happened to Crit's finger? I hope she's okay.

County Fair link. http://davesgarden.com/contest/2011-daves-garden-county-fair/

Make sure you guys don't do any burning. There are red flag warnings out all over Kansas and Independence has put a ban on all burning without a permit. Waaay to dry to burn stuff.

Here is my shade garden. I'm not putting all those plants in there, maybe half of them. I just set them all in there to look like something is under progress, not sure what!
See the Ligularia's on the back corners, wow that's pretty big, I'm hoping these don't get that big for awhile! Those 2 Heuchera's I think are the 'Palace Purple's, at least one of them will probably get planted in there.
Those 2 ferns will probably get planted in there as well as at least 2 more Hosta's, maybe the 'Paul's Glory' in the back middle and the 'Patriot' in the front middle, (the one in the basket that says "apples" on it).
I have yet to get some Lily-Of-The-Valleys to go in there somewhere, but if I don't produce some Lily-Of-The-Valleys I'm toast! I am thinking the ferns somewhere in the back, but I better start planting in random places, if a machined look comes out, I am also toast!

Oh, no open burning for me! It's not allowed in Independence at any time. Technically, I live about 3 blocks outside of the Independence, MO. city limits, in Sugar Creek, but it also doesn't allow open burning at anytime.
It is DRY, they said on the news, this is 16 days without rain!

Thanks Pepper, I'll check out the County Fair.
Will

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 10:26 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Yeah, the people from Angieslist did do a good job, it was a married couple. They didn't work cheap, they got $35 an hour, that's more than I would've paid but when you want stuff done, money kinda has to take a back seat. They were a nice couple, they did a lot more than pull Honeysuckle, they planted and did some landscaping too. I have an Aunt who also hired a roofer and another bid-winner dug trenches for a septic tank.
I wouldn't get the lowest bidder myself, but you can save quite a bit by doing the bidding and interviewing process and getting contractors off of the web, she used Craigslist. Any way, never pay all up front. And I'd keep it below the amount you can sue for in small claims court if it comes to that - http://www.gimmelaw.com/small-claims-court-jurisdictional-limits - $3,000 in Missouri.

Hi birder, oh yes, it's by far a good idea to be home and watching them if possible. Have you seen those commercials for Angieslist I think where the guy tracks red paint thru-out the house and another orders porno movies on her tv?! My friend hired tree trimmers that came while she had to work and I am almost certain they cut a big branch, dropped it, and bent her chain-link fence top rail a little, but how can it be proven? There was no witnesses and of course they're not going to say they did it. But, the fence wasn't bent BEFORE they came!! lol Yeah, to come back and snatch your kid, like Elizabeth Smart, that'd be terrible.
And you definitely want to try to get people already in that line of work, that do that in they're business. I heard of a story I think on HGTV on Holmes on Homes where the workers were watching a how-to video in the lady's home!

Here's another before and after pic I did, it's only a difference of a little more than 6 months, I think the one after photo actually looks worse!

Hi Ima, Crit had an injury to her finger from an accident with a horse of hers in Tulsa, OK. She is describing it here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204534/ Scroll down to her Aug. 24th post.
Thanks, I been doing some planting lately.
Will

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

HI Ima, You will truly enjoy the book, "The Help". I too think the book is always better than the movie. Yes, I am quite pleased with the Huecheras. I returned today to buy a few more--they were all gone. I "think" Lowe's puts their stuff on clearance racks on Thursdays. I may check back tomorow. I am looking at some Sedum, "Neon". I had some but it disappeared. I am thinking of shopping for some Lime Rickey or Key Lime Pie or one of those lime green ones.

Weather has been gorgeous.

I am bringing in Sage, Mint, Rosemary, Chives, Basil, and Parsley to over winter. I really like using fresh herbs in my cooking. I also like to just "smell" them. MMmmm

Hi all. How about this 'Luna Red' hibiscus trying to bloom?! Also, now I got to go have a look at it because I just now noticed it appears broke right below the flower!
Yes, this weather is terrific,except the no rain here part! I've already been out and swept the driveway and got the hitch put on the hitch receiver of the Durango. I must take this trailer of trash to the landfill, so I can get all the mulch I want. Dangit! Stuff ain't gonna do itself!

You like mints too eh, birder?! I have a big rectangular planter outside full of all kinds of mints. I thought none were hardy but I double checked their labels to be sure and Grapefruit Mint is hardy to zone 4!
What's even as good is it's the prettiest one of them all, well, except this one called Polka Dot Plant, it has a real pretty leaf, but as far as I know, it doesn't flower, but the Grapefruit Mint has a pretty lavender/purple flower that kinda resembles Caryopteris, Caryopteris is nicer though, it has more overall flowers. In the Grapefruit mint's defense tho, mine were tiny plants, the Caryopteris I've seen may have been mature. The Grapefruit Mint tho attracted bugs to the flowers all the time, every time I looked at it there was a bug on it, okay, maybe half the time, but still that's alot, I look all the time!! I also have Sage and Basil, I'd overwinter mine too but my overwintering is all fulled up! I have houseplants now that I don't know what to do with, but I always find something to do with them, even if they have to languish over the Winter. Yeah, sometimes I'd just run my hands thru them all for the strong smell that was real nice!

Yeah, I love the Fall specials at Lowes too. What I do if I have to, is call stores all around to find something, here in metro KC there is quite a few to visit if I must.

Your Sedum disappeared, birder? A friend of mine had a big, nice hanging pot of something stolen right off her porch this year!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I'm late looking this year, but does anyone know of any bulb sales/co-ops going on? I'm wanting to get some more Oriental, Asiatic and Daylilies.

Hi Crit! The only bulb company that I am familiar with that has been good to me is Brecks. They put out this $25 free coupon that I jumped on and got 6 Lily Tree bulbs. The first three came in a Spring shipment and they grew and are 1 to 2 feet tall. Overall, I am pleased. I can't really complain because I paid a few cents less than 6 dollars for it all. I used 2 $25 free coupons from them, each order came to $2.94. They were driving hard to the hoop to sell me more stuff but I didn't falter, I stayed strong, I was, "sorry, that's all I can afford", after you say that a couple times they back off, they're just happy about getting rid of stuff I think, even if they have to give it away..lol
So Crit, inquiring minds want to know! How is you're hand? My mind inquires pretty regularly, so I'm speaking for myself there! But, I digress, back to the coupon, it was totally free, not buy $100 get $50 worth of plants!

I got a big ol' load of black dyed mulch. When I told my friend here that, I thought she was going to have a cow, I covered my cheeks in case she swung at my face! Hehe! Not really, but she was none too pleased, hopefully she'll thank me later. I know she wanted Cocoa shell mulch, but this place didn't have it, I really wanted black, it just goes so well with my tropical themed bed there, lava rocks, 'basjoo' Banana Trees, 'Luna Red' Hibiscus, seashells and everything. Altho, I have this feeling in a few years I'm gonna wish it wasn't there, I mean dye in the environment, what was I thinking?! They gave me real big scoops out of their Bobcat, it seriously filled my trailer up! I've had 4 scoops in it before, that wasn't this much, I was thinking, "boy, they must really want to get rid of this stuff". I mean the heaping part in the bucket was about as big as what was in the bucket itself! I was frantically trying to make room between buckets by pushing the pile down to the corners, some still spilled over but not much.

Have you ever seen a big (old) area rug used as weed-block?! This rug was around 15 years old and it was filthy. I took it up off the living room floor the other day, and boy was it ever filthy and stinky! I asked my friend because it's hers, but she agreed, "throw it away", so, it became weed block! It was a nice rug back in the day, the price was on the back still, $50. But, actually, I'm not big on having area rugs all over a house, there is no shortage of area rugs to use as weed-block, believe me! My friend agrees, she's letting go of quite a few rugs that have been around forever and really have no use. You can see it in the photo, I haven't yet covered it all the way up. I won't get too descriptive but cats had been hacking up hairballs on it and going to the bathroom on it for many, many, years!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here it is piled in my trailer! That trailer doesn't look like much, but it can haul!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit, try here: http://www.sunshineflowerbulb.com/. There are a few others I know of too that I will check into here in minute.

Will, nice load of mulch!

I've been limping around yesterday and today. I hit my knee on one of our metal carts yesterday at work and bruised it pretty bad. It would take me close to 10 minutes to get to the front of the store because I could barel walk. Knee swelled up pretty bad yesterday but today is almost back to normal. I'm still limping at times and have a hard time walking if I cross my legs or even just sit for awhile. But hopefully by Monday it will quit hurting!! lol

www.touchofnature.com is a good one. They are a Garden Watchdog Top 5 and I've done business with them before. Great sized bulbs.

That's who it was pepper!!!! Touch of Nature. That's where I got some last year. I ordered through a co-op and that is where they came from. Thanks!

WOW ... hope that knee gets better. Hate it when stuff like metal carts jump out in front of me. Something like that is always happening to me. UGH

Will ... the hand is doing better. Thanks for asking. The scar is barely noticable. Still no feeling in it though. Dr. said it will probably take about 4 months before we know if the nerves are going to meet up. Keep up te prayers. It is still swollen some, and I have a bump on the side of my knuckle. It tingles when I rub it. I have a post-surgery appointment on Oct. 12th. He said he would try to have a piece like the conduit they put in my finger to show me.

Thanks Pepper, I got my money's worth in mulch, $68.60, but I think it was okay.
Glad to hear you're hand is doing better, Crit. I bet you get the feeling back in time, I think thats all nerve damage takes to heal is time, and prayers too.
I think that 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush from you Pepper might be trying to sprout at the base. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow, it sure looks like the foliage of a Butterfly Bush. I've had weeds come up in pots before and this don't look like no steenking weed! That would be nice if it really is, only time will tell!

Thanks for suggesting Ostrich Fern in the shade garden, Pepper. I looked back and then it hit me, I meant to say thanks! I might just put Ostrich Fern in the back of that shade garden, I am still needing tall stuff in the back. We have some Ostrich Fern in other places and it always seems to get broke by wind or something. If it would stay tall, that would be sweet. I put those 2 Ligularia 'Midnight Lady's from you back there, but I want more stuff. In this photo, you can see the shade garden a little but not much. Yeah, ouch, Pepper, hope the knee gets to feeling better.

How about this big ol' black plastic edging part?! I plan to get my mulch on in a big way this Fall! That's just half of it in the backyard that's getting the mulch treatment! I'm thinking that back there will get loads of cedar mulch. By the other half, I mean back by the watergarden and all that planting that I've been doing. I tell you, mass mulching has got to be the cheapest, yet best way to turn an unorganized yard around! Not to mention the lawnmowing gets cut way down!

Have you ever seen Vinca Minor go up a Mimosa Tree like that?! See the 3 'Purple Prince' Lily Trees in the sun, by the bricks? There is a big screen thing in the house I am thinking about putting by those Lily Trees, I need something there to tie them to in high wind to keep them from getting broke. There may not be much purple in 'Purple Prince' but by gosh they are my Lily Trees! Growing up that black pole/former futon frame all in concrete is a glorious Honeysuckle or Trumpet vine of some sort. Growing up that clothesline post, (not that tall yet) is a small Wisteria. Speaking of that Wisteria, it was cut down by some guy that my friend hired to cut the grass or something years ago. This guy musta been asleep or something, it was a mature Wisteria when he cut it down, it may have even been flowering, when my friend saw that she was dumbfounded, she couldn't believe he'd do that. And it takes 7 years they say from seedling to flowering for Wisteria, so the wait is back on! See that big Bush Honeysuckle back there by the steps? My friend says she just loves that bush! I keep a wary eye on it! It is gonna provide a bit of screen for under the deck I suppose! I'm gonna try to straighten up those 2 clothesline posts, they both lean, I doubt if they're in concrete.

Haha, guess what?! I have Italian Cypress seedlings AND Japanese Black Pine seedlings coming up in some pots I have. I know the Italian Cypress isn't hardy here, but my brother got a job outside of L.A. so I'm gonna see if I can send them some, I also have a friend in Orlando, Fla., I'll send her some too. These are from seeds that I got from Seedrack.com. I was grousing earlier, several months ago, that I didn't know they still needed a period of cold stratification, so I put them in the fridge and planted them about 2 months ago and here they are in all their glory!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, you could probably cut that bush honeysuckle down every fall to about a foot or two and you would never know the difference by summer. lol. Might be the best way to manage it and still keep your friend happy. Or else find a bush with similar "good" qualities and plant it instead. lol. Yard is really shaping up!!

Knee is better, thanks. Yesterday I couldn't hardly walk and today I could walk with just a limp here and there. I still have a hard time getting down on the floor and it hurts to really bend it but considering yesterday I couldn't do that at all that is a major improvement. I hit it when I was trying to get on top of a pallet of flour and I didn't realize the cart I was using was so close when I jumped up there. I've got a bruise that keeps getting bigger!! LOL. Biofreeze has been my friend these last couple days. lol

Yard is really looking good Will!!!!

Yes, nerves grow very slowly, like 1/4" monrh. Doc said it should take about 4 months for them to meet up, but as I figure it if there are 2 ends growing 1/4" a month, that is 1/2" of growth a month and it should only take 2 months. But then again, I may be dreaming. lol We'll see what he says on Wednesday.

Hey, did you know if you have your fingers on the wrong keys when typing DOC you get SOX? LOL

Glad you are feeling better pepper. Don't overdo it. Let it heal.

It's alot better today. I managed to dig up my sweet potatoes without hurting my knee. It only hurt when I sat down to dug around a clump. I mananged to get almost a bucket full today!! I'm excited!! I have enough to last us awhile. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Laughing! Yep, you record like heck! ''Avatar'' was an exellent movie! Now I love "Tangled"

I have not made it to Facebook yet. I run out of time right now. Your's is better than a lot of pictures I see. Half a face or blurry. Now why do people post those? The half face isn't art.

Happ,
Fall Fever is just like Spring Fever. There are days you just need to enjoy without working. Somehow it gets done. Maybe not this year... But when you work, how do you even have time to make a meal?

ImaMes!!
Glad to see you! My little Oakleaf Hydrangea is turning a gorgeous red. I put the bunny protector back on it so they don't eat it up this Fall. I was just thinking about you as I was looking at my iris and rocks yesterday.

Will,
The Blue Flag like water so they could go in your wet area. They also do OK in dry. I just dug some up from the RR tracks this Spring because they were darker than those I already had.

I see a bit of green on the stalk. It will live. It might be more dormant right now. They are on their way out, growing roots, rather than putting out leaves.

I think the Ligularia might need to be pulled back from the wall.

Pepper,
No time to even look or enter :o(

LOVE that picture!!

Hi Birder,
I love both of those flowers but don't have much luck overwintering things. I am going to try mint. At least if the cats eat it, it will freshen their breath, LOL!

Oh, do Preen!! Awesome deal on the heucheras! It sounds like you've had a lot of different things to do this Summer.

Crit's finger? What happened?

Will,
I grew my own muskmelon this year and plan on continuing. I saved seed in case the old I'm using gives out. It's an heirloom so it should seed true. But it's awful to die from eating!

You might have to invest in a large, hard plastic tub for the bamboo. It would last a lot longer and Walmart has fairly cheap ones. Plus they have a nice lip that would be a good handhold for lifting it out of the hole if the need arises. They're colorful too!

The vine looks great!

Birder,
I don't trust people either. That's why if we do have to hire, we hire local. We should anyway.

ImaMes,
I'm jealous of her penta hedge!! It must be just beautiful!

Will,
That's a nice selection! They all look healthy and ready to go.

People around here get that for mowing, with a rider and not much trimming. I'd say the couple were worth it!

Oh dear, I'm ashamed to say I had forgotten about that. I sure do hope Crit came out OK! Dang!

Beautiful bloom! Yes it's broke, but look what you have to look forward to next year!

Hi Crit!
How IS your hand? Absolutely, more prayers coming!!

Will, smiling. Next time you see the coco mulch, get a small bag and mulch the houseplants for her :o)

I have no idea what kind of dye they use, but it sure washes out easily enough.

I use the small kitchen rugs. I laid it color side up till it became worn and dirty, then I flipped it to the jute side. I don't cover mine tho. Your's should keep the weeds down for years AND save your mulch!

Nice load of mulch!

Pepper,
Awww, I'm sorry about your knee. I have little bruises all over, but none that bad :o(

Will, we haven't seen the porch since you wanted to attach the planter box to it.

Whooee, you sure did get a lot planted here and there! It's going to look real nice when it all grows up.

Pretty suspicious, him ''just happening'' to cut the wisteria down.

The honeysuckle can be trimmed back. I'd watch for it to try thicketing. I don't know if they do, but I know they can invade a timber.

Awesome on the tree sedlings!

Crit,
I sure hope the feeling comes back. I'll bet it does. Praying anyway!

LOL, I hunt and peck since I can't type the right way. I have to look at the keys.

Pepper,
Let us know how they taste. I may have to try them sometime. I like them better than squash. Unless it's sweet flavored potato squash.

Well, time is running out on me again. I sure hope I'm caught up on my major threads. I don't like to get behind.

So good to hear from you again billyp. Don't stay away so long.

I see the surgeon on Wednesday for my follow up appointment. Praying everything is going the way it should and the nerves are growing together properly. Thanks for your prayers.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2011 11:53 AM

Here is that Wisteria back in it's glory days! That's the same clothesline-post as in the earlier photo up there. See how small the Wisteria is now, you can barely see it, the moron guy cut it to the ground.
Behind it though is the big Trumpet Vine that I had to sever to get rid of those 2 delapidated privacy fence segments, they were about to collapse. It is now growing up that futon frame thing that I made. My friend wasn't amused that I cut that down, I remember she gave me a pretty good tongue lashing!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Thanks, I hope the yard takes shape pretty soon! It would be nice to be mostly done before it snows! I hope you're knee is feeling better, Pepper. My Mom had knee replacement surgery last year, we DO want to take care of our knees.

Hahah Crit! You know, your not supposed to type in the dark!
Crit, you don't stay away so long either, how dare you injure your hand!

Oh, if I cut that Honeysuckle down to a foot or two she'd know, she'd be saying, "what did you do to my Honeysuckle?!"! Haha! Seriously though, not a bad idea, I cut it all the way to the ground about 2 years ago, it comes back in a big way! If you don't get the roots of it, it's like Bamboo, "see ya soon sucka!"!

I rarely get to Facebook either. I went there recently because my brother in TX and his wife had a newborn child last week and they put the first photo on Facebook so I went on there and copied the photo to send it to some other family members that didn't have Facebook.

Here is a Praying Mantis! That thing is still on the window, I guess she or he likes it there!

Yeah, that Wisteria cutter guy was suspicious! This was in 2007, the retired, disabled lady was here but she was going totally blind about that time. The guy wasn't right or something, I bet he had a flask of whiskey or gin on him!
I got photos of it back when it was flowering back in 05', it was really pretty, my friend loved it, I'll post a photo of it in the next post.
Dang billyp, you did you some writing this morning!

Thanks, I think I'll get 3 or 4 bags of coco mulch to do the shade garden,she'd like that.

Oh, I got rugs to use as weed-block!

I watch that Honeysuckle Bush closely, I hope it doesn't try to venture out!
Will

This message was edited Oct 10, 2011 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Rugs you say?! And this is probably half of what I can come up with! Even that big water heater box is going in there somewhere! See my big scallop seashell!? I got many more boxes and cardboard pieces to add too!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Okay that old Wisteria posted before the one below it, my bad! : )
Will

Will, be careful with where you put the black mulch. I was reading a thread where others talked about it, and because it is black and drays heat, it fried their plants roots to death. Just a little warning. In the shade would be ok.

Hmmm.. I never thought about that, I definitely don't want to do that to the roots. I'm hoping it doesn't get quite that hot in KC, plus I water alot, maybe that'll help cool down the roots. I don't want to fry my "tropical spot"s plant's roots! And I originally had plans to use the black mulch in the shade, oh dear, what have I done?! Thanks Crit. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a problem or I'm in trouble on top of getting dye mulch!
Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.