Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states
shortleaf wrote:
Thanks Pepper, I got my money's worth in mulch, $68.60, but I think it was okay.
Glad to hear you're hand is doing better, Crit. I bet you get the feeling back in time, I think thats all nerve damage takes to heal is time, and prayers too.
I think that 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush from you Pepper might be trying to sprout at the base. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow, it sure looks like the foliage of a Butterfly Bush. I've had weeds come up in pots before and this don't look like no steenking weed! That would be nice if it really is, only time will tell!

Thanks for suggesting Ostrich Fern in the shade garden, Pepper. I looked back and then it hit me, I meant to say thanks! I might just put Ostrich Fern in the back of that shade garden, I am still needing tall stuff in the back. We have some Ostrich Fern in other places and it always seems to get broke by wind or something. If it would stay tall, that would be sweet. I put those 2 Ligularia 'Midnight Lady's from you back there, but I want more stuff. In this photo, you can see the shade garden a little but not much. Yeah, ouch, Pepper, hope the knee gets to feeling better.

How about this big ol' black plastic edging part?! I plan to get my mulch on in a big way this Fall! That's just half of it in the backyard that's getting the mulch treatment! I'm thinking that back there will get loads of cedar mulch. By the other half, I mean back by the watergarden and all that planting that I've been doing. I tell you, mass mulching has got to be the cheapest, yet best way to turn an unorganized yard around! Not to mention the lawnmowing gets cut way down!

Have you ever seen Vinca Minor go up a Mimosa Tree like that?! See the 3 'Purple Prince' Lily Trees in the sun, by the bricks? There is a big screen thing in the house I am thinking about putting by those Lily Trees, I need something there to tie them to in high wind to keep them from getting broke. There may not be much purple in 'Purple Prince' but by gosh they are my Lily Trees! Growing up that black pole/former futon frame all in concrete is a glorious Honeysuckle or Trumpet vine of some sort. Growing up that clothesline post, (not that tall yet) is a small Wisteria. Speaking of that Wisteria, it was cut down by some guy that my friend hired to cut the grass or something years ago. This guy musta been asleep or something, it was a mature Wisteria when he cut it down, it may have even been flowering, when my friend saw that she was dumbfounded, she couldn't believe he'd do that. And it takes 7 years they say from seedling to flowering for Wisteria, so the wait is back on! See that big Bush Honeysuckle back there by the steps? My friend says she just loves that bush! I keep a wary eye on it! It is gonna provide a bit of screen for under the deck I suppose! I'm gonna try to straighten up those 2 clothesline posts, they both lean, I doubt if they're in concrete.

Haha, guess what?! I have Italian Cypress seedlings AND Japanese Black Pine seedlings coming up in some pots I have. I know the Italian Cypress isn't hardy here, but my brother got a job outside of L.A. so I'm gonna see if I can send them some, I also have a friend in Orlando, Fla., I'll send her some too. These are from seeds that I got from Seedrack.com. I was grousing earlier, several months ago, that I didn't know they still needed a period of cold stratification, so I put them in the fridge and planted them about 2 months ago and here they are in all their glory!
Will