October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Crit, welcome back, I'm glad to hear your finger is doing better. I don't think I'd be too optimistic about getting all the feeling back until sometime next year. I'm not trying to be all negative and stuff, but that would stink to have a doctor have you thinking it should be all well, way too soon. In my experience, it could take many months for nerve damage to heal. The side of a big toe got some numbness in June of 2010 or so and it's still a little numb!

Ooohh, there's 3 Christmas Cactuses? Oh boy, I want one but I'd want a genuine Christmas Cactus! I shoulda got a cutting from an Aunt before we stopped speaking.

Oh, I forgot to say, birder, the windows that I cleaned recently have plenty of smudges, I just have to keep thinking, "well, they are better than they used to be!"
I love Cannas too, the TropiCanna really fills the bill in my "tropical spot". Now, I've got to get a Bird of Paradise! Here's my TropiCanna! I couldn't find a recent photo of the whole TropiCanna.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hey congratulations Pepper! I saw you won the best domesticated animal first place! That is a really good photo of you're cat.
I went to Home Depot and Lowes tonite, they have some really good half price deals left.
I bought 4 of them at Lowes and right after I left the cash register I noticed that only 1 of the 4 rang up right. I went back (I hadn't got to my car) and nicely told her (and looked a little peeved, which I was), she was apologetic and everything and gave me one of them for a dollar (it was only supposed to be $1.68), that was rang up the first time for $2.99 plus tax, and it's not tiny, the Hyssop is about 18" tall. I got 2 Spirea 'Goldflame's - $3.49 ea., a Hyssop for $1.00, and a lilac for $3.49. The only one for sure that I know where I want to plant it is the Hyssop, I want it to look like billyp's Hyssop by that wall. For a dollar, the Hyssop even had some purple flowers on it. At The Home Depot I couldn't resist a Dwarf Mugo Pine for $3.49.

Does anyone know if the Porcelain Vine gets the blue berries with only one plant? They have them half price for $4.49 but if just one won't berry then I'll pass, (I only have a place for one). If they get berries with just one then I'll get it and I wanna get this one other plant that will look real nice when it gets all grown up, a 'Pom Pom' juniper topiary plant for $27. Altho, I don't know if I should buy that, I might have to put it on my head and walk out, just say it's a hat! I tell you, this is the time to shop the box-stores, well, actually the selection is dwindling rapidly now I noticed. I was just at The Home Depot a few days ago and they had moved all the inventory up and it was quite a bit smaller today. The box-store gardener like myself is in hog mud there right now!

I don't know if anybody is familiar with a restaurant called Stephensons here in Independence, MO., but I went there tonite to get some Wisteria seeds before the sun went down. It's vacant and there is this big Wisteria on an old dilapidated arbor. If there was ever a reason to use sturdy wood or at least treated wood, this is it, it was collapsed under this Wisteria in some places but not all. I took a photo of a collapsed part.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Birder,
All good advice. I hope you get blooms on the indoor cactus. I've been offered pieces over the years, but never had the proper places to care for them, so I never took any. I just enjoy everyone else's blooms :o)

I wish I could find a mini environment to keep the glads and dahlias alive. We just get too cold too far down.

Bernie,
You've mastered cactus too? I shouldn't be suprised, LOL! All are beautiful!!

Will,
There's nothing more satisfying than winter proofing and clean windows. Unless we get Indian Summer, I'm going thru winter with rain dusted windows :o(

I actuallly was imagining that after the driveway overwinters. I sure hope not!!

NICE! CLEAN! windows. I'm envious!!

Birder,
Aaaarrrggg! I don't even have room in the freezer for a turkey yet. It's going to come real fast!!

No, no traditions and that is sad. My Great Aunt always brought homemede chicken and noodles, Her eggs, her chicken. She cut the egg noodles in tiny slivers.

My Mom used to keep a couple african violets. I never did get any for here altho I have the perfect spot for one in a north window. Maybe when the cats are gone...

Wow, your pie should have been perfect. Maybe the apples themselves had lost a bit of crispness. I am so careful at the store now to not get a dull apple. They're older I think. I look for the cold shiny ones they just put out.

Happ,
Cracking up! I picked off every largish, no matter how green, tomato I could, as I pulled the plants :o)

You did what I have done :o) That was a good days work!

Those tomatoes sure look good to me. Wah, I miss summer!

Will,
I wouldn't be able to stop looking out the window and sniffing around me. Now, how many windows are left in the house?....

The pictures from inside look great! You can really tell when you've washed windows.

Crit,
Grinning, you'll have to tell us how in case any of us are captured in the future, LOL!
Oh, I know.. Take the little yahoo's home works for me. Both are up and raring to play games on the computer :o) Yet, here Grandma sits :o)

I would not be able to stop the roll. I love sorting and putting away!

And it's so hard to remember the stories already told too. I'll bet we all have missed the chance to talk to the more colorful family members.

If you have that much feeling, then I think most of the rest will come back. There might be scar tissue that never has any feeling. Thank goodness you didn't lose it. That's something right there!

Will,
Grinning over the buys and the wisteria seed :o)

Wow, it came tumbliing down!

Well, the boys are restless, the cat wants back out... again, I need to take down their beds, so amid distractions I better just go, LOL!

Have a great day everyone!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I take no credit for houseplants. That's DW deal. I call them weeds & get hollered at.

Not to bad of a day. Light wind & partly cloudy. 42º

Going to an Estate auction today. People collected cookie jars. Somewhere around 1500 they say. It started yesterday & will go for 6 Saturday & Sunday's.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Now that is alot of cookie jars, we have a place called dust bunnies and she has a big selection of cookie jars for sale, have no idea how many, but I know she can't display all of them at once. Auctions are tough places. Last auction I bid at I was bidding on a Murphy Bed and I won, only problem is I was driving an MG midget...rofl. I had to leave my friend basically standing on the corner with the Murphy Bed while I went to find a truck and some friends...rofl. The auction was held at the bank during Santa Caligon..rofl. Still have the bed and the friend.... ;)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I made this witch jack o' lantern hanger few years back...

Happy Halloween!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2011 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cute Rusty!!

I've been doing nothing all day. lol. Pretty tired after a busy week and now am making sure I have everything ready to go for tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That auction was a bust. They were doing all the boxes of junk that came with good stuff at auctions these people attended. Also NW wind was blowing right where we were to sit.
Went to Mankato Auction House & scored big time. An oak drop front desk for $40, a cute little secretary for $30, 2 sewing baskets for $10 each, a piano stool for $30. Lots of glassware for $39. A bunch of blankets & quilts for $10.
A huge pile of dollies for $17.

Now it all needs to be cataloged, cleaned & labeled for the shop.
I'll do pictures shortly.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie,
Grinning at DW! Well, she's got some beautiful ''weeds!"

Oh my. Cookie jars. I'll bet a lot of them were fantastic!

Happ,
Cracking up over the Murphy Bed! I have one. Good Lord, how did you lift it into the truck?

Rusty,
That is adorable!!

Pepper,
Tomorrow is today. Getting ready for....?

Bernie,
What a huge disappointment over those cookie jars :o(

Awesome buys on the rest tho!

It was a busy weekend with the boys so a quiet week is appreciated. I need to get out and walk. I'm sitting at the computer too long these cold mornings.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

That is a cute pumpkin witch, I really like that one.

Sounds like you got a lot of stuff even if they weren't cookie jars....we have/had a spot in an antique mall, but I think we are giving it up at the end of this month, maybe start it again when I am retired. Just too much going on.

billy, luckily the murphy bed top came off, and about 5 of us lifted it into the truck. It has been with me since about 1975/6 something like that. It is in my antique bedroom, or should say will be, we need to do some tightening up on things it has gotten all wobbley.

Have a great day and night all!

Thumbnail by happgarden

Here is my 5 half price or less specials from the box stores. I am a box store gardener and I am proud!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Can anybody say free rocks?! You know, they are free on the side of the road I hear!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Yes Rusty, cool pumpkin witch. It looks like it might hang over the porch light. That thing is mesmerizing, I keep looking at it! Whaddaya got there happ, a kitty sitting on a pumpkin? And it's black! Ot oh! I used to have a black cat, my friend is a cat lover and she always made me make sure that it was in the house on Halloween! There is that great big mule! What a nice Fall trip that would be, Pepper.

I found the historical house that I want so bad and it's for sale! But, there is no way I could get it, I'm just dreaming..lol They only want $121,000 for it. It was built in 1870, it's real old. There has been so many modifications lately that I don't know how desirable it is as a historic house now. It's in the same small city in Kansas as my lot, I drove to it expecting it to still be a B&B, but instead found it empty and for sale. The biggest thing that I couldn't believe was they recently put vinyl siding on it. Isn't vinyl siding a big no-no for a historic home?, that's like replacing the skinny wooden windows with aluminum storm windows, unheard of I thought! They didn't do that to the windows thank goodness. I looked for it at - http://www.historicproperties.com I found one in Plattsburg that happ mighta been referring to - http://www.historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=ncpla010 and some in St. Joseph, that one in KS. wasn't on there, I never found it anyway. I'm gonna have to keep that site marked because I want an old home someday!

Thanks billyp, haha, there's lots of windows left! I guess I'll need to wash them eventually! : ) You can really tell that third window is dirty though, I need to fix our old, rickety 6 foot step ladder first tho. It's so old, it's getting like foam at the bottom of the legs, and I can't reach the screws on that third window without a ladder, I tell you, it isn't easy being vertically challenged!

Yes, that is alot of cookie jars. Well, better luck next time Bernie, altho you still got some good items cheap, let's see those pictures!

I got all those plants from the box stores, plus some I already had, planted, well, all planted from the box stores recently but one, the Hyssop, I know where I want to plant it, but that spot isn't ready.
It was a Lilac 'James Macfarlane', the Dwarf Mugo Pine, a Spirea 'Golden Flame', a Big Twister Bush, a Purple Coneflower pot of plants, and an Ozark Witch Hazel.
If I can't have a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick tree then I'll have a Big Twister Bush for gosh sakes! I don't intend for any of those from the box stores to die on me over the Winter, they are all supposed to be hardy. I don't know though, a Big Twister Bush for $3.49?, it's almost too good to be true, I guess we'll see! I dunno, can you put a question mark in the middle of a sentence?!

Yes, happy Halloween! The porch light here will be off though, I hope we don't get egged!

I remember I was robbed at gunpoint on the graveyard shift of a convenience store, 22 years ago today, at 3am in the morning, he wasn't even wearing a mask!

We should have a Spring RoundUp, there is alot of knowledgeable and friendly members here, we should get back together sometime! You know, even lurkers are welcome!
Altho, me myself couldn't travel far due to the money situation. It's a bad deal all around I'm sure, the forums for all the regions can cover so many states, which is good, but that just means, unfortunately, there will always be big driving for some. I'm not suggesting smaller regions or anything, I'm just saying there's alot of geography for all the forums, not just ours. I'm sure that if there were smaller regions there'd be less participation and less knowledge being shared, which wouldn't be good. I think there is alot of fine people in the central midwest, but much discretionary income probably isn't a great attribute in this region, speaking for myself haha, I know it isn't for me!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Will, the house looks like a doll house in your pic. lol

I hope everyone had a great Halloween!! And I hope the Chiefs win!!! lol

I have a pic of me in my costume but got home late today due to a Haunted School tour and stopping to see a friend and my dog-neice. lol. Tomorrow will hopefully get to it.

Will, that mule was a nice size. Nice temperment too.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I made new thread forum go there:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227994/

Hey, Will look at your photo of the rocks, I would be careful cause it looks like a ghost is in that photo! Hewwwwwwwwwwww!

Yes the main drag thru Plattsburg is full of historic or from that time of the century and alot of them right now are for sale. They are beautiful. Christmas most of them are really decorated up and it is just amazing. Probably like most small cities. That house you had the picture of, he worked for Ford, he just barely got it done in time for his daughter to get married there.

Hehe, a doll house, yes it does! It would look more 1870's if they'd left the stone siding instead of covering it with vinyl siding. In this photo is an old shed on the property that the documentation that I read is as old as the house. It's probably the same stone siding as the house. I also read somewhere that when vinyl siding is used alot of times the installation removes some parts of the window frames and stuff, which would also stink if someone wanted to take the vinyl off, it would be impossible to replace the original vintage parts that got taken off. Here's that old shed in the back that I was telling about, you can tell it's older.

Eeek! A ghost on the rocks!? Hehe, the camera was taking the photo thru the window, maybe that was it, I don't want no steenking ghosts on my rocks!
Wow, small world, that house in Plattsburg, MO. is a nice one.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Boy that would be a sin to have covered up that beautiful stone work.....probably did it for insulation reasons. Almost all of the old homes in Plattsburg have been unmodernized...rolf, I am sure that is not a word.

Well looks like winter out the window, dark, no sun, course it was warm this morning coming into the office.

Had to laugh at the pic Will, taken on Halloween and a "ghostly" image...rofl. Did you get the rocks?

I spent yesterday mostly trying to clean up stuff that had been scattered all over the yard. I am going to have to put doors on the potting bench because the wind is so strong up there the pots get blown all over and I am always having to gather them up. Think I have most of the yard ornaments up, I have a heater for the bird bath so need to get that out along with an electrical cord.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thread closed! New thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227994/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.