October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

That does sound like a really good time pepper.

Yes, I just bawled when I saw her and went over to tell her good-bye.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 7:05 PM

Thumbnail by Crit
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

So sorry to hear about Frisky!!! Big hugs from here!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Thanks pepper

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Crit, I am so sorry, for frisky, I just knew she would be ok after going to the vet. Oh so sorry. You are having a horrible time this year.....so sad.
Gosh, I am just floored, I didn't know anything about horses until you starting posting. So so sorry.

Hi guys, I am here, lost my laptop at home and have been in school for 3 days at work so no time at all, or no computer, spent Friday piggy backing my harddrive to another computer to get my data off. Now need to figure out if I am buying a new harddrive or new computer....

Weather threats of frost is making me do something outside this weekend. I have just been so lazy, it has been just drugery to do anything. I have been combining plants in order to have more room in the garden room, space is getting tight...rofl.

Pergula hasn't done much, I have 4 posts up, I will post tomorrow, not much to see....

It's late and I am tired and gotta get up early early. I will catch up with you all tomorrow.

You all have been really busy, wowzer.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
I'm pretty boring too :o)

When I take pictures out a window or thru something like a dirty windshield, I use the ''infinity'' setting. On my Kodak camera it's either a flower or a mountain picture. Close-up, and far away :o) It sees thru the mess on infinity.

I wouldn't worry about the mulch. I think you have enough shade to use it without heating up the plants. It's sure going to look nice where you put it so far!

Hopefully you never get new neighbors who don't know her habits.

Sienfeld quote - :o)

Pepper,
I've always wanted a carriage ride. I think it would be so relazing listening to the clip clops. Love the buggy!

Speaking of Sienfeld, one of my favorite shows is with Kramer driving the buggy, yelling Rusty! every time the horse, well, poots! Cracks me up!

Oh Crit, I am so sorry. No, she's not in pain and since there was nothing much you could do, it's better she went fast. Riding was the perfect way to remeber her. I'm sure she understood your heart breaking.

(((((HUGE HUG)))))

Pepper,
What a beautiful picture of honor.

Happ,
Tough luck with the computer!

We, DH and I, went thru a day or two of lazy. Sometimes the wind is in the right direction and it's like spring fever. You just want to sit and enjoy the day.

Key word ''been'' really busy. I'm done for this year thanks to the cold weather. I have lists, still undone.

Thanks happ and billy. sniff sniff

They just dropped our low on Wednesday from 39* to 33*. Nooooooo. I am NOT ready to move plants in. Guess I have to make a decision what to bring in and what to let die. Going to have to take coleus cuttings instead of bringing in the whole plant. They are so BIG and PRETTY!!!! We put the saddle stands in the room I overwinter in to make room for hay in the barn so have less room for my plants.

Lazy, yes, I can relate to that. I love to set by the pool and take in nature when the weather is like this. I need to get my flower beds fixed where Frisky tore them up while she was in the backyard. They were just in the beginning stages so won't be much to put them back.

Is anyone else having any problems with DG website? Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, but it will just run and run and run without bringing anything up.....

Pergola, this pic is taken from the southwest corner of the pergola and garden room, looking northeast, I know it doesn't look like much now but when the flowers on blooming on the earth berm it is really pretty. The east and part of the south east side of the pergola will remain open because I like the view and I need the winds when it is hot, part of the southside of the pergola is behind the garden room, because the ground was too much of a slope to go farther to the east and in the early spring I need shelter from the winds. The west side will be the potting bench I am going to build. It will give me shade from the west sun, hide the propane tank (not that it isn't beautiful and the most expensive yard ornament I have...LOL), the north side I am undecided maybe a swing...don't know, maybe something more solid to stop the north winds in the early spring and late fall just don't know). I should have room for table and chairs. Should be getting the wood sometime this week, the weekend I think is suppose to be nice. Not much to look at yet.

Thumbnail by happgarden

This is taken from the east side of the pergola and I am playing like I am p. allen smith...rofl. See all my drawings, that really makes you want a potting bench doesn't it...rofl. Hopefully you get the jest.

Last weekend was junk day in the town I live. Basically you sit whatever you don't want to the curb and if someone wants it they can stop and get it.....great idea. I was driving to the p.o. and saw flower pots and an old chandelier. Course I stopped and got the pots and the chandelier, to put over my table in the pergola.....DH thought it was suppose to go to the dump, when it was sitting in the back of the truck...rofl....no way! So bargin day for me, wish I would of gotten out earlier.... ;)

Thumbnail by happgarden

That looks great happ. Will have to start calling you p. allen happ. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crit, I have chairs in various spots in the yard and hardly have time to sit in any of them, LOL! I sit to make labels and check the next chore on the list. And if I get out in time, do have a after dinner cup of coffee out there.

Hmmm, I think you need a buigger barn, or just ''tack'' on a tack room. Yep, groannnn!

Happ, no trouble here. When the computer does that on other things, I will shut down, clean up the temporary files and such and shut it down. Sometimes it straightens it out.

No, but walking us thru it lets us see just how it is going to look. AWESOME!!

CRACKING UP over P. Allen Smith!!

Now that is cool! Oh, I love curb side shopping! I think the chandy will look sooo neat!

I won first place in the photo contest for domesicated animals!! Whoo hoo!!

Man it is really cold out!! I brought in all but elephant ears, cuttings of coleus and all my ornamental sweet potatoes. Those will have to wait. I have a cold so I can't be outside getting stuff taken care of at the last minute. I did manage to pick most of the green peppers I had left. Had a bowl full.

Today has been eventful. First the weather brought more people into the store than normal for a Monday. Then 10 minutes before I leave I was stocking soup and had one roll out and pop me in the mouth. Split my gums above my front teeth pretty good but swelling has already gone down so I can talk. Well......kinda. LOL!!! The cold isn't helping that any!! Turns out the dispenser was missing a piece and we didn't know it. So there was nothing to stop the can from popping anyone. I grabbed the boss man and he figured that out and hopes to get it fixed. May have to rig something.

Some people singing on the front porch of the store. He was having a jolly time entertaining us!! lol. The food in there smelled sooo good!! Fresh bread, fresh cinnamon rolls with more being baked, fudge, homemade butter, and cookies. YUM!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit, do you suppose being name p. Allen happ the money will follow? rofl.
Have you guys seen the place he built....holey moly! Wonder how many full time gardeners he has to maintain it! I do like the idea that he is a neighbor sort of...
There are so few real gardening shows on anymore. We use to have satellite but decided we don’t watch that much tv to justify the cost and by then HGTV had taken most of the gardening shows off the air so I really didn’t care. So now the only gardening shows I see are on public TV, p. Allen, victory garden, a I think there are a couple more that are ok.

Congratulations pepper on the photo contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is exciting news. Can you post the picture that you won with for us to see?????
So sorry about getting popped in the mouth. OUCH! I bet that really hurts, and will for a while.
I'm with you happ on the gardening shows. I watch those two also and Oklahoma gardening. That is about all I can find.

Congrats Pepper, I somehow missed that post, that is great about winning, not so great about getting canned...so to speak. Hope it is alot better. Your work has been a little hazardous, do you get hazardous duty pay like the military? ;)

Crit, did you watch the Gardener Guy out of OKC or Tulsa? I liked him. I did tape of few gardening shows back on vcr and I do watch them again. There is a great one on daylilies which is right up my alley. It is the one where the woman wore a hat and a long dress, think it was gardening journal or something like that, I grew to really like it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Man, a lot of stuff happens in a few days on this forum! We have been enjoying the beautiful fall weather. We went fishing in a small lake near us. The weather was perfect. Weekend before last, we went canoeing down the Current River--again perfect weather. Today, umm, not so much! It's raining and about 49 degrees. We need the rain. We have truly enjoyed this fall weather this year. I think it has been one of the nicest falls ever.

I haven't brought my plants in yet. You hate to do that until you just really have to. I did dig up some Lantanas and Verbenas to over winter. I also have lettuce coming up. Hubby is going to build a cold frame over it. I need take some potato vine cuttings. I sure enjoyed it this year. It is a dark purple.

Crit, so very sad about your horse. I thought sure she was going to pull out of it. You certainly did everything you could. She was a beautiful horse. You need to treat yourself to something special--maybe with a girlfriend.

Happ: I sure wish I had all your creative ideas. You have great plans with the pergola. It sounds like it is really going to be really neat.

Along with the shows mentioned, I also watch a tv show called Garden Smart. It's not the best, but sometimes, it has some good shows. Here's information about this show:
http://www.gardensmart.tv/

I do enjoy P All Smith's show. Yes, his lay out is huge. He has opportunities to visit his farm with a meal, but it's expensive. I also subscribe to his newsletter. They are usually pretty good also.

I've been planting tulip bulbs.--the early ones. I have bought a few packages at Lowe's and WalMart. It is so much cheaper to buy locally w/o the shipping and handling. So, I just pick from what they offer. I am going to try to force some tulips this year. So, if any of you have any good tips, please let me know. I also need to get my Amaryllis organized and ready to pot back up. Then, there's several Christmas cactus I need to decide what I am going to do with them. I never know whether to put them in the dark or just bring them in. It seems the ones I take outside for the summer bloom naturally when they are brought back into the house. But, I have two that I leave in the house, and they don't do much of anything. So, I guess they need to go into the dark. I need to check on when one is suppose to do that. And, I think you have to quit watering them also. I need to read about that. I seem to forget from year to year what has to be done.

Pepper: Ouch!! That had to really hurt. For me, it would have brought tears. I hope it's starting to heal.

I was doing some research this morning regarding what to do with all of our peppers. It's suppose to get down to 31 degrees this week. I am thinking about making smoked paprika out of them. I bought some once while I was in Florida. It is delicious--so much tastier than the regular paprika. They don't offer the smoked paprika in the grocery stores here.

I also have a bunch of eggplant from our garden that needs to be used up. I have several recipes for the eggplant - from dips to casseroles and side dishes.

Man, I have tulips, amaryllis, Christmas cactus, peppers and eggplant on my agenda. I guess I need to get busy!!!

birder, it gets scary when you start listing out that stuff doesn't it...rofl.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Look alike gonna to freezing tonight thru Oct. 20

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

Mouth is healing. It did swell up a few times today but not much. Just enough to worry me since I could feel it. I did go ahead and file an accident report since it hit me right above my front tooth. I don't know if there will be nerve damage or not so decided to cover my butt there. I doubt there is but better safe than sorry on this one.

Winning picture.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Pepper, that is a beautiful picture OMG, couldn't be any more perfect. Looks like it belongs on a calender.

You deserved that hands down.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

JuJu smell and came to me to show me that a cute tiny box turtle in my back yard 2 weeks ago....

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, you deserved to win. Whiskers was the prettiest, most perfect, picture! And I voted for him :o)

I cringe everytime I think about those swollen gums. OUCH! It would have brought tears to my eyes, but I also would have been mad that it hit me! But I'm glad a little kid didn't get beaned on the head! I hope it heals fast. Your cold too. I just did the neti pot because I was getting a tiny headache behind my eyes. AINT gonna happen! No no no!!!

Love the guy doing the two step :o) I can smell those baked goods!

Happ, I goofed above. I meant to be cracking up over P Allen HAPP! I think maybe just being P.Allen anything would confuse people. LOL!

I am so upset that they ruined HGTV! I used to watch one gardening or landscaping show after another in the late mornings. Now I barely watch it at all :o(

Victory garden has been ruined too. I want Jim Crockett re-runs!

Birder, you really know how to relax!

I'm with you on forgetting just what to do year to year. I'm hoping to find a better place to stash the rain lilies instead of under the closet. I forget to give them a little water when they are hidden away.

Oooh, if you do the smoked paprika, tell us how you did it.

My easiest eggplant recipe called for it to be hollowed out and the ingredients mixed and put back in the shells to bake. I just cook the hamburger add the spagetti sauce, cubed eggplant and spices and cook on top of the stove till it's done. Then I melt mozerella in it and serve. YUM!

I also did a recipe where I sliced it thin, layered it with something and I think, baked it like lasagna.

Birder and Happ, cracking up over the list, and the anxiety that follows. I got nervous just reading it and my list is about done.

Rusty, glad you're back! I hope you got all your garden picked.

Oh Pepper, I never thought about nerve damage. I hope not!

Rusty, he is sooo adorable, so tiny, so beautiful!! I love him!

Rusty, that is the tinest turtle I have ever seen. Golly he's lucky he didn't get stepped on. I have never seen a turtle on my place or a squirre, which is what happens when your house is an island among crops...rofl.

How are you doing? Ready for the frost. I got it last night.

I was out watering in the garden room last night and Bass the basset knows he is not suppose to be on the couch, but he must not of set his alarm, because this is what he was doing when I came in, he was actually snoring!

Thumbnail by happgarden

Suppose to get down to 33* tonight. I need to get off my duff and bring small pots in and get the bigger ones gathered together ana blanket put over them. Need to cut some starts from my pretty coleus.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hubby picked j. peppers and bell peppers this AM. We had about 2 gallons of j. peppers and 5 gallons of sweet peppers. I made a dish with the peppers and eggplant: you grill the and add feta etc. It was very good. E. Largesse's recipe. We have several eggplants picked also.
BP your eggplant recipes sound really good. Of course, it's 5:30 so everything sounds good right now!! That second recipe sounds kind of like Eggplant Parmesan. Yum.
I made six batches of Pesto today and put it in ice cube trays to freeze. I also made Sun Dried Tomato Bread. It was a new recipe and turned out really well.
It was cold, windy and wet today. I really dislike the wet cold. We're going to cover a bunch of stuff up tomorrow evening. We have two nights coming up below 35 degrees. I plan on working on the plants tomorrow. It was just too yucky out today.
Birdie

Well I had frost on the car, but my covered tomatoe is fine and so is the rose bush....go figure. I had heavy frost on the car, well I am glad, I hope everything survivies cause I think it is suppose to get warmer next week. Hate to see everything go brown.

Did I tell you guys there is a reblooming iris in the flower bed that has bloomed about this whole spring and summer, it did the same thing the year before, and is still in bloom. It is the talk of all the master gardeners Monday night at the meeting. Hope nobody messes with it. It was blooming when we were in the 100's and now blooming again... It would be a great one to get starts off of.

Stay warm everyone, I agree I hate cold, wet, and windy Birdie, it just gets to your bones in nothing flat!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I am doing good and same way to my dogs!

Tomorrow, will be 29 (sunrise) I am going stay in my bed that Juju jump on my bed every morning and I was on left side which Juju sit by my legs to keep warm (my knees to feet)....

I watch on PBS that I look Victory Garden yes I love Jim Crockett and I has all the books...Also I love to watch about quilting and painting, too! lol...It's fun to watch and learn something new!

Well I heard on news that Ty Penny in Joplin for build 7 new homes Oct. 19 to 26 so I cant go thru cause of security blocks some street that police will be 12 hours each time.... Darn I try to take some pix of Ty Penny! lol...

Stay inside to keep warm until tomorrow if not will be end on Friday! Make freezing go away! lol...

Rusty, I heard they were coming to town, wow I didn't know they were building that many housesd....good grief.
I sometimes think they go a little overboard on those houses, how in the world do these people heat and cool them, let alone pay property tax and insurance. Course I am sure I am way too practical.

So you can't go watch at all? I thought when they were in KC you could, catch a bus and it would take you there to be part of the viewers.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I heard that Ty Penny will be show Joplin's house in November...

Bp, there's no lasting damage to my mouth that I know of but the threat was there for a day or two. It's healing up nicely now and didn't swell up once today.

I saw the live coverage of Ty and Sam Champion this morning. Pretty neat to see them down there. I hope they do smaller houses than normal but knowing them they won't. lol.

Happ, they say that the heat and a/c bills are the same if not better than the old homes. The new homes are alot more energy efficient. But the property taxes and insurance are another matter. There are some that have a hard time paying them because they go up.

Thanks for the compliments on the pic. I got several shots of him in the pot but that was the one where he turned and looked at me with eyes wide open. lol

Here's the guy with a big grin on his face. Having the time of his life. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, I am rolling on the floor! That is hilarious! He's on the pillow too!!! Howling with laughter now!!

Oooh, love the couch!

Crit, I used to try and overwinter coleous. That was before I knew to pinch the new growth. Then, I pinched the new growth too much. After that, I gave up, LOL!

Birder, my peppers did terrible. I didn't even have a crisperful and I used every single one in the roasted red peppers :o(

I know! Everything did sound delicious!

Oh wow, the bread sound sooo good! I've been thinking about sun dried tomato focaccia bread. (I always have to Google it to spell it, LOL!)

Happ, frost, and we had none yet. I guess we will get it tonight.

Is this iris in your bed? It sounds fantastic!

Rusty, nothing feels better than a warm weight leaning against you :o)

Wow, that is great! I hope they decide to use the money to make normal houses the right size for the families. That would do them so much better than those they deck out. They could build one more if they get sensible about it.

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_19147364

Happ, you aren't too practical. You have common sense.

Pepper, you really got lucky, since it was going to hit you anyway... to not be hurt worse. I'm glad!

Love the big grin on him and the lady :o)

Will must be busy, or he decided to hibernate :o)

ImaMes, if you are checking in, here is my pretty little shrub! I hope it really takes off next year. I'd love to see it full size.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Thank you Billyp for the article on the houses, that makes so much more sense building several new normal houses than a mansion for middle to low income folks.

I had heard the energy costs were the same as a normal house, but gosh even if the utility bills were the same as the folks were paying before, it just seemed to me they probably couldn’t afford what they had so why not build a more normal house and just think how cheap the utilities would be, and how much easier it would be for the families. Sides every house sooner or later needs maintenance and heavens I would hate to maintain some of those monsters they built. I will admit they were beyond beautiful, but like I said I am way too practical, sides cleaning some of those would be a full time job….LOL and I have gotten way lazy. ;)

Bass knows what pillows are for, he always puts his head on them when he gets a hold of one. Thank you Billyp, I like my sofa, it is a denim slip cover sofa. (Yes, I am practical…rofl), the tag says you shouldn’t wash the slip cover (I am guessing it would shrink like Levi’s) but you can have it cleaned. I took it one time and was surprised how reasonable it was, a lot cheaper than a new sofa.

Yesterday the car had frost on the back window, this morning frost on the front and back window. Hope I didn't miss any tropical plants, cause I am guessing they will be goners by now.

I over winter coleus most years or try. Seems like most of us start out ok, but then about Feb. they just up and die, my theory is it gets too cold, so this year I am putting them on a heat mat and see what happens. I actually had been growing a standard for several years and it was doing good, until it got mealy bugs and I couldn't get them under control, so out of fear of contaminating every thing in the garden room I threw it out.

Probably picked the last of my roses night before last. They are really doing good in the office. This rose bush is pretty amazing, it doesn't get many dieases, or fungus, or anything, it just grows and grows. It has bloomed from spring until last night. I am figuring last night was the end but won't know until I get home. I don't know the name of it, but I think in spring I will try to take cuttings and see if I can get more going. Can't imagine how well it would do if I would take care of it. I planted it by the fish pond, which isn't good because I can't spray it because I would poison the fish...not thinking on my part.

Billyp, the iris I am talking about is in a public right away as you come into my small town. We master gardeners planted iris and knock out roses and few other things and then as volunteer time, I maintain the bed. Out of 4 iris it is the only one that blooms nonstop...rofl. I need to take a pic of it.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, that's why I don't watch the show. They just get ridiculous sometimes.
These people just need a nice new house that doesn't have a million air leaks and need a new roof.

I would have thought it would cost a lot to have cleaned.

OH WOW, what is the name of that rose? It's gorgeous!

I hope the iris will multiply like mad so you could get a start ot two. Then when it multiplies for you you can share with your other MG's. Yes, a picture. I'd love to see it!

Well, I just bought a wreath from the boy next door :o) Delivered in early december, just as we are starting to put the outdoor Christmas things out.

Have a good day all. I need to go!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the weather frost advisory:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

This morning so chilly!

We haven't gotten frost here yet it appears. I noticed today that everything is still blooming like normal which if we had a heavy frost they wouldn't be doing. I did go ahead and cover up my radishes with a sheet just in case. Don't want to lose them. My dad lives for them radishes. LOL

A couple making homemade butter. Too bad they weren't selling it. It tasted reeeeeeaaaalllly goooood!!!!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Temps are suppose to get to 33 degrees tonight and 35 tomorrow night. Then, it is suppose to warm up some. I hate it when you have a couple of killing frosts, and then everything gets back to normal. We took a little bit of stuff in tonight, but mostly covered everything up with old sheets. It will look silly in the morning, but by now, my neighbors should be used to it! :)
This freeze really motivates me to get going on bringing everything inside.
I took some cutting of the sweet potato vine yesterday. It's a good thing I did as it is looking real sad today. I meant to get a couple of clippings of the Black Eye Susan Vine today, but just ran out of time. So I covered it up with a sheet and will get the clippings tomorrow.
I cleaned the downstairs garage today. It was a mess. My husband leaves everything right where he used it last. I don't go down there too often, and it was really dirty and messy. I had to re-organize things before plants could be brought inside.
After the garage cleaning, I went to town to the Farmer's Market. I bought Jade Green Beans, Fresh Turnips, Sugar Pie Pumpkins, okra and a few heirloom tomatoes. We did not plant any fall garden as we had too many home maintenance projects this fall. Jade Green Beans BTW, are really, really tasty and are beautiful long green beans. That is the green bean we always plant--usually in the spring and then again in the fall.
Pepper, I remember making homemade butter! It was quite good. I still have the churn my folks used.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, no frost or freeze here.

Pepper, I realized, with dismay, that any thought of fall gardening didn't enter my head. WAH! I want radishes!!

YUM on the real butter!!

Birder, all you need is cream and you could have butter anytime! Is it a large churn? MY Aunt had a jar fitted with padles. I liked to churn butter at her house, but the cousins all got busy elsewhere.

No frost, but the air is crispy. I guess I missed a meteor shower in Orion sometime last night or this morning.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Coldest morning yet.
Very frosty.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just watch the news last night and I final found it for to see the video:

http://fourstateshomepage.com/fulltext-extreme-makeover-home-edition-joplin?nxd_id=228637

http://fourstateshomepage.com/fulltext-extreme-makeover-home-edition-joplin?nxd_id=228607

To see the new archive:

http://fourstateshomepage.com/news-archive

One house to build in 45 min.!

http://fourstateshomepage.com/fulltext-extreme-makeover-home-edition-joplin?nxd_id=228567

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 8:15 AM

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM

We got down close to freezing yesterday morning. Hadn't brought anything in but did cover the tender plants and pushed all the others up against the fence under the trees or together to try and keep each other 'warm'. Had frost on my car, but the plants don't look too bad. A little touch on a couple of things, but not a killing frost. I left the covers on last night and am going to take them off today. Suppose to get back to normal for a while.

The news in Tulsa was talking about the houses being built in Joplin last night. Unfortunately, I fell asleep before I saw it. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.