October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I almost forgot to get a shot of my 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush from Pepper. I wasn't sure this plant made it, but all indications are it is coming back from the base, yippee, I do like some 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush. The 'Nahno' is leafing all over, I never had any worries about it. How about my 'Catawba' Grape next to it?! It was an Oct. special from Lowes last year, now I just need to find a place to plant it before the serious cold hits. There's another Grape next to it, they were half that $7.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

After all the high winds I was forever getting the leaves out of the water garden. You can't let them rot in there or they will kill the fish. What a pain! After I was done I put the screen over it and added some clean water. Probably froze the fish to death since it was well water, it gets a little cold. One chore done 50 million left to do.

Darn I meant to take a pic of the pergola post that are up. Hope I don't forget to do that. I want to do progress pictures.

Went to Home depot last night and managed not to buy a thing....yes!

No more black much for me, I have too many trees and leaves. With natural color you don't notice the leaves so bad, with black they shine...rofl.

Finally some rain, hope I got some at home cause I sure needed it. Pepper did you plant alot of sweet potatoes? I need to get dirt hauled in so I can get it mixed with other stuff this winter so I will have good beds for next summer. We used the post hole digger on the back of the tractor and I have quite alot of good dirt, but then it is just pure pure clay. I am sure you could make pottery.

Have a great day, and hope you are feeling better Pepper.

Oh yeah, Billyp, I eat on the way home (fast food I know it is good) if I know I have a lot to do in an evening. Otherwise I eat at dark, DH eats way early in the evening long before I get home. He has learned to cook since he retired, it is called survival...lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

So I think I cross posted with everyone..rofl.

Will I used black mulch in the shade, having said that I would be careful about putting it in the sun, don't forget we get over 100 most years, hopefully no more stupid years like this one tho. I can tell you I used a little bit on the east side and I think they may have a point about the heat. Remember tropicals like it hot and some the hotter the better, just depends on what tropical you are talking about. I rooted plumerias on the driveway concrete during this summer, I believe the hotter the better for them.

I planned ahead on the leaves and the waterpond, for once I made a good decision! You're not kidding happ! The fallen leaves really stick out on this black mulch, that looks terrible. I got a poly leaf rake so I'm hoping I can get most of the leaves up and not a whole lot of the mulch. The "tropicals" I have in there are so far - 4 Banana 'basjoo's and 2 'Luna Red' Hibiscus, hopefully they'll be okay with it if it heats up alot. Now, if I could just get a hardy enuff palm tree!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is some info on some hardy palm trees. It gives an estimate on how cold they can handle it.

http://www.sunpalmtrees.com/Cold-Hardy-Palm-Trees.htm

http://landscaping.about.com/od/treesshrubs/a/type_palm_trees.htm

Knee is feeling much better, thanks!! I did bang it on the register table today which had me limping again for awhile but it finally quit hurting as long as nothing touched it. lol.

Will, I wonder if you can switch out the honeysuckle with Fothergilla. LOL. Still a fast grower but not invasive!! And great scent and white blooms!! Just grow it in a big pot for a year or two til it reaches a good enough size to go in there as the replacement. lol. Think she will notice soon enough to stop you or maybe you would get lucky and she like the fothergilla even more. lol

Happ, my sweet potato plant came in a 4 inch pot and vined out to take over almost half of my garden. Everywhere the vine lands and roots it creates a potato. Some were really small, skinnier than a finger, and others were like what you buy at the store. And when it escaped it's boundaries we just mowed the excess vines off and it never batted an eye. It's vines and flowers look just like morning glories. I grew 'Beauregard' and they are good!!

I was gonna post a pic of the sweet potato vines but can't find a good pic of them.

Thanks for the links and ideas on something to replace that Bush Honeysuckle Pepper, Fothergilla eh? I'll look into that, thanks. Glad to hear you're knee is on the mend too.

Let's see a pic of that Pergola, happ!

I might just try Windmill Palm too for grins! I have some that might yet grow from seed after they get cold stratification this Winter in the unheated garage. They were part of the seed shipment from seedrack that I kinda feel duped on. I wish they (Seedrack) would stress more the importance of needing stratification first. The Windmill Palm seeds were planted unfortunately BEFORE I realized what was going on. The only seeds from that shipment that didn't get planted this Spring from that shipment were the Italian Cypress and the Japanese Black Pine seeds, which are coming up now because I put them in the refrigerator in March, like they shoulda all been if I realized it first. Some of them apparently didn't need stratification first, but it was only the Hollyhocks. Without the stratification, I bet alot of customers are just throwing their money away. I don't know what Seedrack is thinking, in the long-run I think it would be best for business to tell that in a big way, or else stratify them BEFORE they ship them. Sure it means people got to wait longer but overall I'd think there'd be more satisfied customers. I'd make a review in Watchdog but I think a good deal of those reviews are tainted by everybody's competition. Look at alot of the negative reviews sometime and then look at the date of that member's signup, in alot of the negative reviews the signup date is the same date as the review (or close), it's like they signed up specifically to discredit that company, what kind of a real review would do that?
All the rest I'll bring into the unheated garage and HOPE they'll sprout next year, California Fan Palms, Water Lotus, Venus Flytrap, Joshua Tree, Louisiana Palmetto and Dwarf Pomegranate, those are just the ones on the top of my head, I'm sure there's more. If I get lucky the Windmill Palms or Louisiana Palmetto will sprout next year and I can plant one or two in the "tropical spot" and start the possibility of a "Missouri Miracle" of a Palm tree in KC! I'll send the CA. Fan Palms to my brother in Orange County, CA. I think those are the tall ones you see all over L.A. (Beverly Hills too).

Thanks billyp, I hope it all turns out nice with all the planting that I've been doing and other landscaping. Yeah, that ol' rectangular planter box, yeah, not putting it on the deck's side, (my friend poo-poo'ed it).
I might put it in the front yard, it's still empty.

Hehe! I'll get coco mulch going somewhere for her! I'm a bit curious about this smelling like chocolate when wet myself. I eat Chocolate Cheerios for breakfast every morning!

Yes, it is so awesome that the Italian Cypress and the Japanese Black Pine came up! The Japanese Black Pine is zone 5 I believe, it will make a fine addition to the waterpond, maybe lend to a Japanese Garden look, unfortunately, eventually it will be too big, then I won't know what to do again! I have many seedlings coming up though and they say it's an excellent tree to learn Bonsai on, so I might do that as well. Does anybody want to try to do Bonsai too, I'll send you a Japanese Black Pine seedling, or if you just want one I'll send you one. I think an Italian Cypress (it says their zone 7) would look stunning by your pool, Crit, can I send you one? It would have to be in the ground in zone 7 I think.
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crit, I won't! It takes way too long to catch up.

Well, I sure hope it's good news about your hand. I can't believe I forgot all about it :o(

Will, what a pretty wisteria and a shame he cut it down. I can't believe he killed it. I thought they were too tough.

I see no other way to have gotten the fencing out of there, and at least you replanted it.

Oh I know. That was a terrible long post!

Love the mantis and the robin on the fence :o)

I had a mantis last time I mowed. It turned it's head as I moved to each side for a picture. I am also seeing the last few robins, but they'll be gone soon too :o(

Well, it's as good a place as any to get rid of rugs! They'll block weeds for a long time. So will the cardboard.

Seashell and tropical. You'll trade your milkshake for a Pina Colada, LOL!

Good half price on the grapes. By taking cuttings, or just scraping and pinning to a pot of dirt, you can increase your grapes in the Spring.

Yep, the butterfly bush growth is much bigger than in the last picture.

Happ, grinning over the cold well water. Cold it is!! Always do the tough chores, first, too.

I wish a person could post more than one picture at a time here. Then we could enjoy your progress pictures all at once.

I call it ''fending for yourself '' :o) My DH is good at it too.

Oh Pepper, ouch! I hope it heals fast. Nothing worse than having to limp along.

Hmm, you just about have me sold on Fothergilla. It's been on my research list for a while now.

Will, you really try growing a lot of unusual things! I hope your trees sprout, and heck, why not try a palm!

I accomplished a lot yesterday and it was the bed that was going to take the longest to re-do. The ground is really sandy and it was rock hard! I wonder if that's why some of the Harry lauder branches died back this year. I had a heck of a time digging the asters out and they are shallow rooted. Needless to say, I brought good dirt over to replant them, and the tulips in. And...I got the tulips out of the garden. Another job done! Well, almost, but what is left is all one color so smooth sailing on those! National Yardwork month is going well!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Crit - Sorry about your hand. Glad it's healing. I haven't been on DG for a few months because of back problems so I don't know what happened, but I'll be praying!

Pepper - Ouch! Hope your knee gets better soon.

Billy - I have another rock for you, but not sure when I can get it to you. The irises you gave me were sooo pretty this Spring!

Happ - I'm another vote for the pergola pic! LOL

Will - I agree with Billy, you sure try to grow some unusual things. That's great!

Haha! I like to call it exotic! But, I agree, I always have tried to grow the unusual and sometimes no possibility of even planting it here! I kinda look at it like "at least I can have it in the house until it reaches the ceiling!"!
I could send a Joshua Tree and California Fan Palm to my brother in CA. But that would be so neat to have a Dwarf Pomegranate, (maybe several) in a big patio pot and it'd be cheap, from seeds.
Here is 1 of my 2 pots of Italian Cypress in the photo, there is at least 2 sprouted in the photo.

Haha! billyp's National Yardwork Month is on track!

Doesn't Fothergilla sound like a good plant to have?!

I was out there tonite laying out more weedblock rugs!

I'd sure like to multiply those Grapes to have a little wanna-be backyard vineyard, thanks for the ideas! There's a house on the street over that has all the yard in grape vines, they make wine, I bought a bottle of it from the store to give to a friend as a visiting from Florida gift, she liked the hometown wine. They set them out on display at the store so people's jackets will knock them all over in the store and break them, then they have to buy them and they can say they sell alot! Not me, I pulled my jacket in and walked around carefully, haha, you should've seen them watch!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Japanese Black Pine seedlings anyone? If anybody wants one or an Italian Cypress, I can put it in an envelope now with just a stamp, I got a stamp covered, no big thing. There is 5 seedlings here poked out, I expect by the end of the month there will be many more. Does anyone want a Japanese Black Pine seedling to do Bonsai with? That's fallen leaves from the milkshake Mimosa tree in the pots!

Haha! National Yardwork Month is going good for billyp!

Ouch, I hope your back problems alleviate, Ima.

Thanks Pepper, I looked at their offerings of "hardy" palm trees, one that comes close but not really close enuff is the Windmill Palm, that'll prolly be the one I try.

I will trade a milkshake for a Pina' Colada!

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

52°/73° Through 11am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve around 7am. Mostly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the mid 60s. Winds light and variable. Showers this morning then scattered thunderstorms developing during the afternoon hours. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%

So far I see the moon, stars and lights in the country, LOL! I do believe it will rain tho so I am almost ready to get out and plant tulips. I've really been getting a lot done and thankfully, got all the oriental lilies out of the pots and back in the ground. I also managed to move two smaller ones from the back of the bed to the side. Things just fell into place yesterday.

ImaMes, that's too bad about your back. It's hard to get anything done, not to mention the pain. I hope it's better now.

I sure love the rocks you already brought, so anticipating a new one will be nice!

I'm glad! I sent the little ones but I don't remember off hand what the rest were, LOL! I know I wrote it down.....

I dug and divided all the little ones this year. I replanted all of them, but next year will redo them and give some away. My neighbor, who gave them to me in the first place, lost a few so she'll be able to get those back from me. But, next spring should be great color from them and I can't wait.! Who needs Christmas when spring brings favorite flowers? LOL!

Will, if I go into Hallmark or get near a display, I too pull the coat tight. I'm not breaking anything!!

Awww, what cute little cypresses! I can see them in tall pots in the house. That would look neat!

A person can never have too many grapes. I have 6 vines myself and want to get a piece started from Dad's. He got his from his Dad and they are the largest Concords I've seen. A friend who bought an old house in town also has them, and it's as old a vine as Dad's. My new Concords are large, but not huge. At least they are as sweet.

The black pines look good too. It sure will be a while before they get any size to them, but they look like they will make it.

Let me know how it tastes. I've never had a Pina Colada in my life :o)

Day break!

It's funny, I printed the weather from wunderground last nite before bed, it says a 10% chance of rain tonite (last nite), my friend likes to know the weather for work, it thundered so loud it woke me up!
Oh, the last 2 days, especially last nite, we got plenty of rain, we needed it!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was a hero a couple days ago! I am very humble you know and I've NEVER told a life-story! So, the nite-time aide left here at 3:15am, I just happened to be awake and looking out the window to see if her ride was here. To my shock, she went walking up the street, she was walking home at that time of nite! I don't even walk at that time of nite and she's a 23 year old girl! Not that age matters, nobody should be out at that time of nite, walking. Anyway, I immediately told my friend here and she says "do you want to go get her or do you want me to?". I said I would. This girl walks fast she was like a quarter mile away when I got to her.

I wasn't nasty or anything to her, I told her she doesn't have to do that just because it's late. She said she has car trouble and her phone was dead that day. I told her the only people out at this time of nite are drunks and cops and the cops aren't always around. I didn't tell her this, but I'm sure she knows, there are stories like this where ladies are abducted and never seen again. My friend being the kind and helpful person that she is loaned her an suv of hers that she wasn't driving. Haha! Being the photog that I am, I have taken pictures of the car inside and out, just in case! I did this on my own accord, I do that on motel rooms and rental cars too. It's a nice suv, a 2003 Dodge Durango, it's in that "after" photo way up there.

Oh, billyp, those Cypresses are still outside, I figure they won't need to come in for a couple weeks or so, thanks, aren't they cute?!

I hope they grow good and make many good grapes. I'd like seedless grape plants but as far as I know they don't sell them cheap.

I've never had a Pina Colada either, but with a name like that it has to be oood!

I just heard on Regis and Kelly that Iowa has 6 pigs for every human! Is that really so?!

Haha, don't those Japanese Black Pine seedlings looks like little newborns, they're all curled up and stuff!

Here's the loaner! How do you like what I did to the license plate?! I kid my friend, "how you gonna loan somebody a car with expired tags?"! She said she was gonna renew it online real soon.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Never had a pina colada?! Pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and rum. Yum!

Will - Exotic. That sounds much better than unusual. LOL

I like what you did with the license plate. What program did you use to do that?

Billy - Thanks. I'm in physical therapy twice a week right now and Dr. says it'll be 6 months to a year before I'm back to normal. So I need to be patient. :-P

I don't remember what the names were of the ones you gave me. I had them all marked, but most of the names rubbed off over the winter or they got raked up when we raked the leaves last Spring. Oh well.... A couple of the markers that were still there were 'Music' and 'Chubby Cheeks'. Those are two that I remember seeing anyway. They were so pretty!

Yummy, I have an unopened bottle of Bacardi that somebody gave me in 1999 when I was unemployed another time, maybe I'll have a Pina Colada with it! I'm just under-employed now, I don't think I need to drink the rum straight!

Hi Ima, the program was Paint Shop Pro 7> rectangle selection (on the license plate) then effects then warp. Paint Shop Pro is like the poorman's PhotoShop haha!

My Mom tells me physical therapy sucks, she says they are harsh in that in some places. My Mom says they don't give you any pain relief when you need it and they're verbally abusive. She left one facility because of it. She had just had knee replacement surgery and it was like they didn't care.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

HI all.
I used one of those rugs that you're suppose to scrape mud from your shoes. It became kind of rotten. I put it in my garden. It was tan so blended right in. It is now "compost, but certainly kept the weeds out for awhile.

My Heucheras are doing really well. I have had to water them. We are quite dry here, but the weather has been absolutely gorgeous, so, I am not going to complain about a little watering!

Did someone say Pina Coladas?? Mmmmm. I really like them. They are kind of fattening though, so I don't partake very often. Everyone should have one PC! I make a virgin Pina Colada that's pretty tasty and not as fattening. I use Diet Mt. Dew with crushed ice, add some Coconut Sugar Free Syrup, some crushed pineapple. Stir. Add 1/2 cup of low fat ice cream, Mix. Yum. Sometimes, I use the blender.

No one should have to deal with a PT that is mean. I have gone several times. I go to the same one each time, and she is very kind, good, and understanding. Ima, I think back pain is the very worst,. Hope it heals quickly.

Glad the finger is healing, Crit. It may take six months before the feeling comes back.

Good for you Will and your friend for looking out for the young woman. It's called "Pass It On"!

BP: "I planted all the little ones this year" What did you plant? Just curious.

I planted some large Allium about three weeks ago. I love them. They are so cool. This one is suppose to multiply. I hope it does.
I have lots of tulips to plant. Hubby dug them up this summer after they turned brown. I also bought some "early" tulips a couple of days ago. "Purple Prince" and "Purrissima" (white). They are suppose to bloom at the same time. I get soooo anxious to see something blooming in the spring. Bulbs are practically sold out in some local stores. Not many even carry bulbs. Sam's did not have bulbs this year. :(
I saw my hummer this morning at the feeder while eating breakfast. They usually leave October 10. Every extra day of pretty weather, and seeing hummers at this point is special!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I forgot to show you my Marconi Pepper! They are tasty!

Thumbnail by birder17
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

One more picture. What is this plant? What do you know about it? I bought it at Lowe's this June. and it has been a real champ. I like it so well, I want to purchase it again or over winter this one. Please tell me what you know.

Thumbnail by birder17
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Will, I've never HEARD of chocolate cheerio's. I bet they are good!!!! My DH eats cheerio's at least once a day. Sometimes more, even for a snack.

We have a tropical place here that has 4 huge palms in front of their place. I think they are Sago Palms. I'm sure they have to wrap them or something. There is a house here in SS that have 6 LARGE banana trees in their front yard. They would HAVE to wrap those up good in the winter. They are too large to dig and bring in. They are as tall as the roof.

Ima......condensed of what happened to my middle finger on right hand. Bungee cord strap, lost hold of it, whipped around and the hook part ripped my finger open. Got 11 stitches and because of numbness saw a hand specialist the next week, had to have surgery. 3/4" of my nerve was gone. Put in a little conduit and placed each end of the nerve it with the plan that they will grow together and give me feeling again.

Saw the hand surgeon today. He had me close my eyes and swept my finger with a little soft brush and also a semi sharp thing that looked like a nail. He said I was getting a little feeling towards the end of my finger. PRAISE GOD!!! He said it seems to be coming along very well. I have an appointment in 6 weeks and he thinks the feeling should of started returning pretty good by then. YIPPPPPEEEEEE Such good news. Still a little swollen. He gave me some putty and exercises to do to try to get the swelling down and everything built back up. He showed me some pictures that were taken during surgery of my finger all laid open and where the nerve endings were, then another one with the pice of conduit stitched in place. It was really awesome to see them! The conduit will eventually dissolve and be absorbed by my body. Again I say THANK YOU GOD!!!!

Pepper..........I order you to stop hurting yourself! (and I'll try too ^_^)

LOL!! Crit, that is so much easier said than done!!! I can turn around and smack a wall that I will swear up and down was not that close to me before. lol

Birder, I answered on the other post. The white is kinda washed out so hard to tell for sure but I am pretty sure they are snapdragons. Supposed to be an annual but mine come back every year.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, pina colada's are yummmm-mmmmmy!!!!!

So sorry to hear about the bad physical therpy. I use to be a physical therapy aide. I loved it and the people that we treated. I've also been to physical therapy and the last one I had is just terrific. Really nice and they really empathize with you.

Guess it is good that October is national yardwork month! I'm going to have some work ahead of me. One of my horses got colic so I put her in the back yard to keep and eye on her. She was rolling trying to get some relief. She got into the chicken wire I had around some plants on the side fence. The plants are torn up, but I think they will come back. Hope the amarylis will be ok. SHe has wallered holes and torn up the grass and dirt all over the backyard. I had set up a new lily bed and she walked through the little green fence I had around it. lol I'm just glad she didn't hurt anything there. She's doing better today, not rolling anymore. I saddle one of the horses and lead her on walks for about 20 minutes or so several times a day. I hope she passes whatever has her blocked. She still isn't eating but she is starting to drink well. I just hope she didn't twist a
gut with all the rolling she did. That is fatal with nothing that can be done.

Thumbnail by Crit

Snap dragons re-seed, but I've had them come back from the original plant too.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

It's not a snapdragon. The flowers are smaller, more open, and leaves smaller than snapdragons.

Can you take a better pic tomorrow? The sun washed out the blooms. I have a couple others in mind but need a better pic.

Haha! My friend says I'm exotic, but what could possibly be exotic about me?! Yeah, maybe exotic is better than unusual, lets not get that confused with a non-native plant, I've heard them called exotic too! lol Thanks birder, we'd glad to help her, my friend really thinks highly of the aides here who do a good job helping her take care of her Mom. Right now, the Mom is yelling at the top of her lungs for Vicks to be put on her nose. My poor friend works all day then comes home and her Mom yells for her all nite, even while the daughter tries to sleep.

Oh, Chocolate Cheerios ARE good! Those 6 large Banana Trees there I'd think would have to be 'basjoo's. I don't think other varieties and especially regular Banana plants would survive under 45° or so even wrapped! It would be a nice sight to see though, I think tropical settings in colder climes are so cool. But, I'm not that familiar with all the Banana plants, I've been wrong before!
Glad to hear your finger is coming along, Crit.

Oh, some people I think get all nuts and dig up big Banana's and overwinter them. I visited this one guy of samoan descent, he said they reminded him of home, I think is kinda why he did all the digging.
I asked him, "isn't that a pain to dig them every year?". He says no, they only go down about 6 or 8 inches, that you just need to get the corm, please don't quote me on that, I didn't say it! lol

Oak Galls anybody?! They are on nearly all our Pin Oak leaves. My friend asked me what that was, I told her I thought Oak Gall and that it's harmless.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

58°/67° Windy with a few showers early then partly cloudy for the afternoon. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Will,
Laughing over the thunder!

It's lucky for the aide that you saw her. I wouldn't like to have to walk home in this day and age.

Your friend IS very generous and I'm sure the girl was overwhelmed by her kindness. That's pretty cool about the plate. Sometimes I post a picture with my house number. I don't like to, but it isn't that hard to find people these days.

We have small hog operations springing up all over. Usually it's three long buildings and they are quietly built, because suddenly, they are just there. Thankfully the only smells we get are from someone spreading liquid manure on fields. The worst is driving by the two turkey buildings on the highway. So, I can believe we have that many pigs. They butcher them at the Tyson plant in Columbus Junction, a town south of here. It was called Rath when I was growing up.

ImaMes,
Pinas sound good!

That is too bad. I remember you've been having trouble with your back for a long time now. It must have really gone out this time :o( I hope they get you back to normal.

Music was one of the more unusual, but very pretty. I haven't ordered any more, but when I redo these next year it will open up some room. I see my neighbor has some new ones already. I need to make sure I don't get the same and we can share when all are overgrown :o)

Will,
ROTFL! Does liquor ever go bad?

That's too bad for your Mom. I think they have to be tough because people will give up if they think they can't take the pain. I'm not doubting your Mom. There are therapists who have no compassion and are just gruff.

Birder,
''Now compost.'' I love things that end up as compost, or can rot on the ground :o)

Oooh, the non fat non alcohol version sounds good!

The ''little ones'' are Schreiner's Lilliput iris. They are about a foot tall and bloom in between the border and bearded. I just love them! I'll post a picture of ''before they were divided.''

I love tulips, but hate planting them, LOL! I had to fill buckets with the dirt I took out, because there is no room to put it in the bed. I too dug these and didn't have to wait till it was cold and rainy for them to be delivered. Which is what usually happens.

Nice pepper! I've never tried growing them before! Do they taste like a green bell pepper or have their own flavor?

That is a very pretty plant. I almost know what it is.

Crit,
Wonderful wonderful news about your finger!

Pepper,
Cracking up over the wall!! I manage to smack my hands going down my own hallway.

I thought maybe snapdragon too, but it was so bushy. It also looked like the bloom was open more. It might be an Angelonia, a summer snapdragon. I hope the link works.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/annual/angelonia/

Crit,
Awesome on you being a PT aide!

I hope your horse passes it too. She's a pretty girl! Hopefully the plants she trompled come back too, but I think they will. Is trompled past tense for trampled? LOL!

Will,
So, you're exotic :o) Pretty cool!

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/selection/tp/hardybanana.htm

I hope this link works too. They look awful long.

Galls fascinated me as a kid. I'd open them and find....nothing!

I got the last of the tulips planted and a daylily moved before the rain yesterday. Unless it warms up a bit later in the week, I'm about done moving things this year.
Today we get the Grandkids. They don't have school. So... busy again :o)

ImaMes,
I don't know if you were on last year, but I have twin Grandkids now. Girl and boy :o) They're 4 months old now and I don't have current pictures.

Lilliputs

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Lilliputs Chubby Cheeks and Baby Blessed

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Mary's Lamb

All I have, are ''Sleepy Time'', an all blue self. ''Time To Shine'', a blue with a purple eyespot, ''With Castanets'', vivid yellow and white, ''Hottentot'', a dark purple, ''Music'' is a peach with speckles, "Mary's Lamb'' is white, ''Cat's Eye'' is red and maroon, and ''Chubby Cheeks'', which is a washed out blue. Baby Blessed is a rebloomer.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I think it's Angelonia. I couldn't decide between Angelonia and Nemesia. But isn't Nemesia shorter to the ground and "less snapdragon like"? I have sooo enjoyed this Angelonia. It has survieved the heat and sometimes I would forget to water it and it would be all limp and laying over the flower pot. I would water it and waalaa! It looked as good as new. It has a lovely form. I wish I could keep it over the winter. Sometimes you get a plant that just really does well and then you never get one that quite matches up to the first one. Thank you for the ID.

Crit, so glad to hear about your finger. Your horse is beautiful. I used to have a horse when I was a kid. I loved horses, actually, still do, but it doesn't work too well on my in town "lot".

Ah Ha! Liliputs! I had never heard of them. I thought they would look more like Lilies instead of Iris. I think I am going to have to get some of them! Do you have a source? They are so cute! I am going to do some research on them.

The marconi peppers taste like bell peppers, I think they are a little sweeter and a little milder.
We had our last fried okra last night. We're still getting a few tomatoes----finally! They didn't start producing until September. We grew only heirlooms and they're a little pickier than the hybrids. Tomaotes have to have cooler evening temps, and we just didn't get that until September. Next year, I am planting a couple of hybrids just in case we have another summer like this.

I know what you mean birdie. That's why I talked DH into buying a house in the country...... so I could have my critters again! ^_^

Had to take Frisky to the vet today. She wasn't getting any better. On top of the colic, the top of her leg was all swollen up down to the knee. She either got kicked by one of the other horses, hurt it during her rolling and stuff or a snake bite. Doc said it is still warm enough for them to be out and about but cool enough for them to be 'cranky'. The walking her kept it from getting 'stove up' and stiff so that was a good thing. He treated herr colic, gave her 3 shots, and gave her a drench of mineral oil and water to try and get whatever is blocking her to get loose. She was nibbling on some grass before we left. He sent me home with enough medicine for 6 days. She was running 104* temp instead of 99'ish. I have to give her 2 shots once a day and one shot twice a day. She ate a little feed and hay and drank water after we got home. I tied her out where there was some grass and she nibbled on it too. All good signs!!! So, $300 in vet bills and medicine later she is doing much better. Better than the luck I had with my Polly girl. $500 in vet bills and had to bring her home and bury her. I sure do miss that little fat dog. Please pray for Frisky that she gets all better. Thanks.

This is the link for a Thanksgiving Swap a friend of mine is doing. Swing by and take a look.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/#new

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Birder, yes it is. Nemesia is a good groundcover. I don't have any luck trying to overwinter outdoor plants in the house, but maybe you could root it in water and start with a few babies. I agree about keeping the original because they were so good.

My neighbor got her's from Schreiner's. They don't give good, large pictures of them, but they sure brighten a bed and mutiply well. They are totally cute! I don't seem to have iris borers in them either.

I think the marconis would make a nice stuffed pepper then. I love sweet in a bell.

It took our tomatoes all summer to do well too. We kept them watered.

Crit, very good signs! The colic must be hard to shake without the medicine. I hope the shots work. She has to be hurting a little.

It's so hard to bring them home in a bag.

The swaps are cool but I'm terrible about mailing things out, so I don't ever get into them.

The kids just got up. Breakfast will be early because it's grocery day.

Twins, yesterday.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Adorable babies billy!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: So, you're saying "yes it is" meaning it IS Angelonia? I don't know why I get Angelonia and Nemesia mixed up. They both have small flowers and rather small stems. I've over wintered my burgs, fuchsias, bougainvillea, mandevella and geraniums in my unheated downstairs basement for years. I have probably done a few others like Verbena but can't really remember. I am going to try the Pentas, Verbenas, and this pretty Angelonia. It's worth a try. I can always toss them out-------which is what I will probably do. :) My biggest problem is not watering them often enough--out of sight---out of mind. I don't have very good luck taking cutitngs. Again, it's probably a lack of water. I plant them and forget about them as they are downstairs. I guess I need to try to just leave water in the bottom of the saucers.

My upstairs windows are already prime real estate for my house plants. I get real interested in my house plants in the winter since there's not much to do outside. I have a beautiful red ivy geranium I am trying to find a home for in the upstairs this year.

I get involved in winter sowing, but I am telling myself not to get too carried away with this activity this year. I am going to try to start a few perennials that I would like to have, but not mess with the annuals. They're less than two bucks for a six pack. It takes my little seedlings too long to get going in the spring. By the time they're ready to plant in the garden, it's so hot, they have to be watered a lot. Usually, we don't have all of our soaker hoses set up in time for the seedlings to make it outside. So, it has become too frustrating for me to mess with the annuals. I love, love, love the tall snapdragons, and they are more costly to purchase, but I am going to just buy them next year. Plus, the tall snapdragons are a little hard to find locally and sell out quickly.

I will check Shreiner's out for the liliputs. It's so nice to have neighbors that like flowers too. My neighbors do well to put in a few petunias each year and maybe a mum in the fall. They also like "meatball" shrubs---to each his own.

Such cute babies! I want some!! (grandkids, that is) I better be careful!! :)

I don't really recommend Marconi peppers for stuffed peppers. You could do it, but they are kind of skinny, and the walls of the peppers are thin. They are mostly for eating fresh or for roasting. I make cabbage rolls instead of stuffed peppers. Mom would always put a couple of stuffed peppers in with the cabbage rolls. I think mostly for flavoring--and they are tasty.

Crit: I sure hope your horse continues to improve. Vet bills can get really expensive. Our little sheltie became quite sickly before she died at 15 years. The vet bills were costly. Keep us posted.

I found my Sedum 'Neon". It is happily growing in three locations under my beautyberry. It's diameter is quite large and loaded with pretty fuchsia berries. I am surprised the sedum is making it in full shade. Is it too late to move the sedum? Or should I just wait until next spring? I planted it near the beautyberry to echo the fuchsia berries. The mockingbird was in the shrub sampling the berries yesterday.

I think we will plant our tulips this weekend.

Birdie

Birder, sedum will grow and bloom anywhere. lol

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks pepper, but is it too late to move at this time of year? Weather here is suppose to turn cooler Tuesday.

Nope. The ground will still be warm. Just put a light layer of mulch or straw on it to help it maybe but it's so hardy that I doubt it's needed.

Went to Warsaw today. Heritage Days festival was going on and it was such a blast!! Lots of people doing stuff the way they did back then, and lots of volunteers dressed up too. Saw lots of Amish people and enjoyed a bluegrass group who's name I can't remember. I'll get it tomorrow. Pics coming tomorrow too. Only bad thing was there was soooooo many people there!!! Good thing too but still!! LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Crit!!

Birder,
Yes, I sure think it's Angelonia. I'd try to overwinter it. It's a fine looking bushy plant!

I miss having a basement sooo much! Especially when we have tornado warnings. We don't even have a good place outside for a shelter. I'd just be happy with a root cellar. Any place I could overwinter plants.

Smiling, maybe my basement envy will cause you to go down everyday now :o)

Arrgggg, I also have tall window with sill envy!! LOL!

I too love the tall snapdragons and have had luck starting them in the house in the spring. I think I got the seed from Thompson and Morgan, but am learnig they have a bad reputation for germination. The stores rarely sell the tall ones around here either. I had a yellow one once that came back for a few years. I'd love to find it again. It was many many years ago and I did buy it at a nursery.

My neighbor has a whole half of a block to herself, including the alley. They also bought more property behind them and has sooo much room for a ton of things. I love to go over and browse thru it all, LOL! We also have the same taste in plants and shrubs so what I like, she plants. Works for me!

My other neighbor bought the house with the shaped shrubs and she actually trims them too, so I hear ya!

ROTFL!! I hope you get your wish someday, when everyone is ready for babies :o)

Yum! I haven't made cabbage rolls in forever!

I would say you have time to move the sedum. Especially if you move dirt with it. The more roots you can keep, the better. I'll bet I could still move mine and they would be fine.

Awesome to have the mockingbird! I hear the cries of the young about drive you crazy tho, LOL! That's from two people in two States.

Pepper,
I'll bet it WAS a good time! It's so much fun to hear those groups at places like that! We had a small group play at an open house for an old barn and I never got their name. Luckily we got a bit of them playing in the camera video we were taking of the boys.

I don't like pushing thru crowds, but a person always manages to get to see everything. Even the State Fair goes pretty fast with the lines and people in front of you looking at things.

Hi all! I wanted to see what my peoples are doing this weekend! I just haven't had much to say lately, I'm so boring! I am still unloading my big, trailer load of ahem.. black mulch.
I feel guilty about black dyed mulch! Here is a photo of the job this afternoon, it is coming along. I have yet to sweep off the pavers. The camera musta thot the chain-link fence-post was the subject of the photo, IT is clear!
I usually take at least 2 photos because without fail at least one is blurry. This time they were both blurry, but this one less blurry than the other one!
Where is happ? I wonder how her pergola is coming along?! Yes, adorable babies billlyp! I say adorable with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality!
Eeek! Haha! "cries of the young about drive you crazy" eh?! How about the yells of the elderly?! She was yelling so loud last nite from 10pm to about 11:30pm I thought the neighbors might call the police for elder abuse!
It isn't like that tho, she just has no concept of the time, she wants attention whenever she's awake. What stinks good is when she yells like that in the wee hours which she does pretty regularly.

edited to fix my Seinfeld saying

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 12:19 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Finally got all the potted plants in the garden. I just dug holes and plopped the whole thing in there. I'm hoping they will fare better that way than they would totally exposed.

First pic from yesterday. The carriage I rode in. I'm not in the pic but that is the horse and carriage. At least I hope it is. Looks like my driver. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Beautiful pic pepper.

It is with a heavy heart that I report I lost my horse Frisky yesterday afternoon. She started bloating which is a sure sign of a twisted gut. I had called the vet and went to get her to take her in and she was already gone. Sniff sniff Good news is she is not in pain any longer. So sad though, she was only about 3 years old. Glad I have 3 other horses. Took Babe out on a nice long ride by myself late yesterday afternoon. RIP dear Frisky.

Thumbnail by Crit

Oh, sorry to hear that, Crit. I know how we get attached to our pets. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.