Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Central Midwest Gardening: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states
shortleaf wrote:
Hey congratulations Pepper! I saw you won the best domesticated animal first place! That is a really good photo of you're cat.
I went to Home Depot and Lowes tonite, they have some really good half price deals left.
I bought 4 of them at Lowes and right after I left the cash register I noticed that only 1 of the 4 rang up right. I went back (I hadn't got to my car) and nicely told her (and looked a little peeved, which I was), she was apologetic and everything and gave me one of them for a dollar (it was only supposed to be $1.68), that was rang up the first time for $2.99 plus tax, and it's not tiny, the Hyssop is about 18" tall. I got 2 Spirea 'Goldflame's - $3.49 ea., a Hyssop for $1.00, and a lilac for $3.49. The only one for sure that I know where I want to plant it is the Hyssop, I want it to look like billyp's Hyssop by that wall. For a dollar, the Hyssop even had some purple flowers on it. At The Home Depot I couldn't resist a Dwarf Mugo Pine for $3.49.

Does anyone know if the Porcelain Vine gets the blue berries with only one plant? They have them half price for $4.49 but if just one won't berry then I'll pass, (I only have a place for one). If they get berries with just one then I'll get it and I wanna get this one other plant that will look real nice when it gets all grown up, a 'Pom Pom' juniper topiary plant for $27. Altho, I don't know if I should buy that, I might have to put it on my head and walk out, just say it's a hat! I tell you, this is the time to shop the box-stores, well, actually the selection is dwindling rapidly now I noticed. I was just at The Home Depot a few days ago and they had moved all the inventory up and it was quite a bit smaller today. The box-store gardener like myself is in hog mud there right now!

I don't know if anybody is familiar with a restaurant called Stephensons here in Independence, MO., but I went there tonite to get some Wisteria seeds before the sun went down. It's vacant and there is this big Wisteria on an old dilapidated arbor. If there was ever a reason to use sturdy wood or at least treated wood, this is it, it was collapsed under this Wisteria in some places but not all. I took a photo of a collapsed part.