Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states
shortleaf wrote:
Hi all. How about this 'Luna Red' hibiscus trying to bloom?! Also, now I got to go have a look at it because I just now noticed it appears broke right below the flower!
Yes, this weather is terrific,except the no rain here part! I've already been out and swept the driveway and got the hitch put on the hitch receiver of the Durango. I must take this trailer of trash to the landfill, so I can get all the mulch I want. Dangit! Stuff ain't gonna do itself!

You like mints too eh, birder?! I have a big rectangular planter outside full of all kinds of mints. I thought none were hardy but I double checked their labels to be sure and Grapefruit Mint is hardy to zone 4!
What's even as good is it's the prettiest one of them all, well, except this one called Polka Dot Plant, it has a real pretty leaf, but as far as I know, it doesn't flower, but the Grapefruit Mint has a pretty lavender/purple flower that kinda resembles Caryopteris, Caryopteris is nicer though, it has more overall flowers. In the Grapefruit mint's defense tho, mine were tiny plants, the Caryopteris I've seen may have been mature. The Grapefruit Mint tho attracted bugs to the flowers all the time, every time I looked at it there was a bug on it, okay, maybe half the time, but still that's alot, I look all the time!! I also have Sage and Basil, I'd overwinter mine too but my overwintering is all fulled up! I have houseplants now that I don't know what to do with, but I always find something to do with them, even if they have to languish over the Winter. Yeah, sometimes I'd just run my hands thru them all for the strong smell that was real nice!

Yeah, I love the Fall specials at Lowes too. What I do if I have to, is call stores all around to find something, here in metro KC there is quite a few to visit if I must.

Your Sedum disappeared, birder? A friend of mine had a big, nice hanging pot of something stolen right off her porch this year!
Will