Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states
shortleaf wrote:
Hi birder! Its been a while! I'm looking forward to browsing The Home Depot and Lowes's Fall Clearances myself! I tell you, I'm going to have a "fall clearance box store collection of plants", at least they'll get big eventually! I have 5 Heucheras myself, 3 purple ones and 2 light green chartreuse ones. It sounds like a good plan there, birder, as edging on the 3 Dogwoods. Mine are going to be relegated to the shade, some in the shade garden, but I'm thinking only 2 will fit there.

Boy, I'm glad I haven't eaten any Cantaloupe lately. We do eat Cantaloupe pretty regularly but haven't for about 2 months, they just said on the news 2 people in KS. have died from Listeria in Cantaloupe from CO.
I haven't heard about Crit's finger, I hope it's doing well for her. I've been down the Current River too, but I went in early June when I went and it was pretty fast. A few places were downright treacherous! On that trip, a Sister and her boyfriend at the time capsized and all their stuff went downstream! Haha, they had just bought a new camcorder, they took it back to Walmart for a refund when they got back! Hehe, if you're Walmart, this was over ten years ago..lol! The scenery there is beautiful though!

Haha! I'm gonna try hard to keep the bamboo under control if at all possible! I'm even thinking I should get those Bamboos out of those kitty litter buckets even though, conceivably, they look pretty well contained for a while. It just troubles me that they'll get out sometime in the future and all heck will break loose! I can't stop thinking how those buckets will crack eventually from the freezing and thawing, and bamboo will be running everywhere. Since I've seen firsthand the grief that it's causing and other bad stories I really have third thoughts. I'm thinking that running bamboo is a pot planter plant only, get a brass pot and put it in the house for gosh sakes..lol! Living on the edge should only be an involuntary matter haha! My friend here loves her some Lily-Of-The-Valley though, she'd be fine if the whole yard was Lily-Of-The-Valley. It sounds bad but it's true, for years she had nothing but Bush Honeysuckle! She says Lily-Of-The-Valley reminds her of being at home. There is one Lily-Of-The-Valley out there that survived out of 6 of them that I planted here last Spring.
The only vine Honeysuckle is this "Halls Honeysuckle" in the photo that's growing up a former clothesline. I watch it, but I hear that the vines of it aren't as nasty. Unfortunately, there are Bush Honeysuckle seedlings popped up everywhere, I pull them when they get no taller than about 4 to 6 inches tall. In 07' my friend surprised me and hired a couple off Angieslist that did landscaping to pull all the Bush Honeysuckle out.

Pepper, where is DG County Fair, I looked, I couldn't find it? Oh yes, I'm gonna leave 'Black Knight' out there, that's my style to water plants and make sure they have sun, several have came back for me when they are seemingly dead. For example, purple Wandering Jew cuttings take about 2 months to show signs of life I found out, I don't give up on anything! I thought that Cardinal plant was a goner but it was in among the other plants that got sun and water (even in 108°weather), that's just my way, to leave something for a while, a long while, and that Cardinal plant sprouted at the roots and I have already planted it.
Will

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 11:14 PM