August Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Ahh, sweet sultry August has arrived.. I turned on the Rain Bird and low and behold instant cloud cover. Sometimes I think I am just letting God know I really do need to water and then He does a good watering.
Please come by here often with your pictures and the weather.
81.1 °F / 27.3 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/hfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 85 °F / 29 °C
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sidney :-)

Marylyn - Going to the beach in Texas in March looks like a day at the beach in Iceland in summer ;-) lol

This is a view of the glacier Snæfellsjökull on our way back home. It's on the Snæfellsnespeninsula, where we took the ferry. On a good day it's visible from Reykjavik. It's the setting for the novel (and movie) Journey to the center of the Earth (which incidentally stars an icelandic actress as the guide).

Thumbnail by rannveig
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sidney: thanks for the new thread. What's that pretty pink flower among the caladiums?
Sharon: sorry to hear about Gary's trip to the hospital--praying for him! You get some rest!
Marylyn: the little bunny has grown in the past year! Crackers are always a good snack. :o))
Rann: lovely photos of your trip home from the island. Interesting note about the
movie.

I'm meeting two other "local" DGers for lunch today in North Little Rock (about 18 miles from my house). It should be a fun time together!

We had a nice shower yesterday afternoon and things were cooler for a while. It was a nice break from the heat. Today we are back to our summer pattern, however: HHH. Heat indexes close to 110º.
Everybody have a good day and stay cool! :o))

yarrow--supposed to be pink but mostly white

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

55F; heavy low cloud cover. This summer is one of the coolest in decades; sure do enjoy the occasional good day.
Sugarweed~ thanks for the new thread~the flowers look just beautiful.
MySharona~hoping for a better day for Gary and you, as well. Callie is a sweetheart.
marsue~have a great day with the other DG'rs
Marylyn~sounds like a wonderful idea; both lunch w/dad and indoors.
rann~I love the old classic version of Journey/center of Earth. Thanks for the info/site. I sure like what I've seen of your country; just beautiful.
hi se_eds/Claire~what a shame to have lost so many of your seeds/plants. Hope some will survive the heat.
Celia~get well soon- there's a heating pad that has a moisture pad w/it. It really helps with pain.
Dyson ~my young gson said it was way dark at 2am when he was up for a minute. Summer's long days are winding down.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

Kiska, I have one of thtose and I sat on it all day yesterday! LOL Dr. gave me prescrips for an anti-inflammatory, a muscle relaxer and a painkiller. I'm sorry, I can't take all of those. I took the anti-inflammatory and left it at that. It feels much better today.

Sidney, your flowers are pretty. I know what they all are except the pink edged leaves on the upper right. What's that one?

Everyone has pretty pics and fun things happening.

Rann, those names are a mouthful for we here in the States! LOL I sounded them out but still not sure of pronunciation. Did I mention I Google Earthed your location? I know where you are on a map but it's different when you see it from space.

Callie looked like she was saying, "Come on! Get it over with! I have things to do!"

85°F with 98º for later. I can't wait until we get central air installed. This evaporative cooler is annoying to run. Our outside water leaks and that means when we turn on the water for the cooler, it runs all over the patio and wastes LOTS of water. We can't afford that in the desert. We won't be able to get the C/A until next spring.
Feels like: 85°F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 43°
Humidity: 23%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 11 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:24 AM
Sunset: 8:42 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Buckthorn berries ripening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

And have fun with the DGers, Mau! LOL

TAYLOR, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is an awesome sight we saw in Central Texas, Leander, last night. Our weatherman said this is "Iridescent Clouds". Whatever they were, they were beautiful.

Thumbnail by hummerlou
(Zone 7a)

It looks like the Aurora Borealis! What an incredible sight!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, hummerlou!!!! That is GORGEOUS!!

Those are polka dot Geraniums and Caladiums. All that little bed is planted in Florida Perennials. The coleus can last into January here with a night or two of bed sheets covering them for protection.
This Copperleaf is about my most favorite plant. It's Olive-drab leaves are circular in shape except they are gathered in the middle and make a ruffle. On top of all of that the leaf edge looks like pink rick-rack. The undersides of the leaf is burgundy Now thats a very engineered plant.
Welcome hummerlou, that's a beautiful sky there. What a treat.
Celia, I was answering your question while you were asking. LOL
I hop this is a good picture.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 7a)

It is a good picture. So it's a Copperleaf?

(Zone 5a)

Wow hummerlou those are spectacular clouds :-) I've seen them here, but that is a fantastic photo of them :-)

Celia - hope your back feels better real soon! Google earth is pretty cool :-) If you'd been able to pronounce those names I'd been surprised ;-) LOL

Kiska- wonderful photo. It's starting to get dark here too :-( At midnight it's almost completely dark ...

marsue - Have fun at the DG meeting :-) Very pretty yarrow.

Sidney- very pretty plants :-) Love the Copperleaf. So unusual :-)

It's 76°F in the shade now ..... we had a very light drizzlin of rain earlier, but now the clouds are getting thinner so there's some sunlight filtering through ...... I'm trying to work in the garden and it's just too hot ....... It feels really nice when I'm not moving though ;-) lol I'm a heat wimp, I admit it. LOL

This is what I've been working on for the past 2 weeks or so. It's slowly progressing since my strength doesn't allow me to work on it for very long at a time. It's turned into a lava excavation project - wasn't expecting to be using a broom so much. lol I'm putting a paved walkway there when I'm done with the excavation.

Rann

This message was edited Aug 1, 2008 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's going to look wonderful, Rann!

(Zone 7a)

That's going to be very pretty! What sort of paving are you going to put in?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Kelli, is Manny Ramirez's trade good news or bad?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

My prayers for Gary, too.

Bummer about your a/c, Celia. I don't think I could sleep at night without it.

Cool picture, Hummerlou. I've seen small, pale patches like that, but nothing as big and brilliant as your picture. They're caused by ice crystals.

Marylyn, I think Manny will be a good thing. Goodness knows we could use a real hitter and I don't think the Dodgers have much of any team chemistry that could be disrupted.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 01, 2008
91 °F / 33 °C
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.80 in / 1009 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 89 °F / 32 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I never saw one of these before.

Thumbnail by Kelli

And today's hiking picture - fog coming in from the ocean.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

These folks (http://familyonbikes.org/) hang out in a homeschool forum I frequent. A year or so ago they took 12 month 9300 bike ride around the US and Mexico, and the dad pedaled a bike like that with their twins behind him. This year they are traveling from Prudhoe, Bay Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. Well, I say "this year"... it's actually going to take them about 2.5 years. The boys are taking turns riding a regular bike and riding a regular tandem bike behind their dad. It's been fun watching their travels from the photos they post on their website. They're in Canada right now. They started their trip in June.

That's pretty neat, and more educational than "real" school. I don't know anything about the people I saw today, but it looks like something that would make it into the newspaper at some point.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2008 4:06 PM

(Zone 7a)

Hummerlou, may I use your pic and send it to some friends of mine? They would be very interested.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome, hummerlou! Beautiful picture!
Kiska, our days are losing minutes, too. Good pic, as usual.
Celia: I'm glad you didn't take all that med! Wow, if I had taken that much I would be zonked out for days! I don't do well on pain med--would rather put up with whatever pain I might have than that awful "drunk" feeling that pain meds enduce in me. I hope your back is better. We here in the south would surely melt without A/C--LOL--at least we think we would but I grew up without it until I was 14 and I haven't melted yet. :o))
Sidney: that's a great photo. I love the combo of the different plants.
Kelli: a bicycle built for "tres". LOL
Marylyn: what a neat thing for the family to do with their kids. A very ambitious project, I might add.
The two other DGers and I had a really nice lunch together. Now who else, but with gardeners, could you have lunch and talk about how to raise ducks (with duckmother) and about the national shortage of meal worms!!! LOLOL

HHH today--officially the heat index did reach to 110º. In fact the time/temp sign on the corner at the local high school said 113º when I came home! Of course, it is in the sun all day. My car said it was 104º outside--that's hot enough.

(Zone 3b)

65 with more sun than clouds.
We just returned from an hour's hike, straight up, to a gorgeous lake. It was in the 50's up there and could not have been better; sunny and breezy.
hummerlou~wow that's an amazing sight. Welcome.
rann~love the looks of that project; take care, ok?
kwanjin~I'd go for the heating pad over most meds as well. Get well soon, too.
kelli~love the looks of your hike; such a pretty view from there.
Marylyn~interesting about the family bikers/great education.
Halfway up.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

At the top.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

The prize.

Thumbnail by kiska

Great pictures Jackie.
;)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's gorgeous, Jackie!!! Is that a volcanic crater? Or "just" a lake? Either way, it's beautiful.

(Zone 3b)

Thanks~it was well worth the effort; the trail is brand new and in all the years here, I'd never gone up that far on the mountain. It's a mile, uphill all the way, but very well engineered and a pleasure to use.
The lake has been carved by a glacier. There are several in this area; all just as beautiful, I hear:) I've only hiked to one other.
This is the drainage creek that leaves the lake and flows on down Hatcher Pass.

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Overcast skies @ 74°, Going to start the move to the apartment in Rocky Mount this morning. May not have a Computer hooked up for awhile.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning :-)

Jackie - Wonderful photos from your hike. The lake is wonderful :-) Must have been a fun trip. That's what we'd call a "nature pearl" - you're lucky to have one so close to your home. Thanks for your concern - I've been very resbonsible and haven't injured any parts so far, and don't intend to. I take lots of breaks ;-) Especially with the heatwave we've had for the past days. lol

It's cloudy this morning, "only" 60°F and almost calm. Great day to work in the garden :-)

Kelli - interesting bike - I've seen one with one kiddie addition but not two. Beautiful photo.

Marylyn - Thanks - I think it will ;-) I'm so happy to get rid of some of that grass - less for me to mow ;-) Interesting about the bike traveling family ....... what a great experience for the kids.

marsue - Sounds like you had fun - you can always count on interesting conversation topics when gardeners get together ;-) lol Sorry it's so hot there .....

It's a 3 day weekend here - sort of like Labor Day weekend, lots of people on the move. It's the last big travel weekend of the summer ...... we won't be going camping, might go on a day trip, nothing decided yet.

The roses are loving this warm weather we've had :-)

Hope you have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Celia - thanks. I'm using the same kind of paving stone I used in this photo:

Thumbnail by rannveig
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

HOORAY!! I heard from Joey last night and she is fine--has had computer problems and hasn't had time to get to her local library to get online there to let us know anything. So glad all is well with you, Joey!
Rann: your path is going to be lovely but that is quite a backbreaking job you have tackled. Do be careful and don't work too hard! Your rose is lovely.
kiska: love the hiking photos--what a view! The gkids seem to be having a good time! :o))
Dyson: good luck with your move. We'll miss you while you are away from DG. Thanks for letting us know where you will "be".
Another scorcher predicted for today. DH was out watering early this morning. Everything dries out so fast in this heat.
Today
Mostly Sunny High 101°F
Precip 20%
Wind: NW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 55%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:18 AM CT
Avg. High: 92°F
Record High: 103°F (1987)
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 75°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 73%
Sunset: 8:09 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68°F
Record Low: 53°F (1997)

There are two bumblebees in this photo--find them if you can! LOL They were moving so fast that it was hard for me to find them with the camera.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

I think they're both just left of center, one above the other. Am I right? LOL Pretty.

98º today. I'm off to work soon but I wanted to say HI..."HI!!!"

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yep, you win the prize, Celia! Be careful at work today--hope your back is doing better!

(Zone 7a)

It's a little better but it's still sore.

I got a pic of some wasps on my hummer feeder. They like to fight the hummers for the food. I think that's why they don't stay long.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Love your cloud rannveig, and yours too hummerlou!

What an extraordinary start we've had to August here in the north of England. Torrential rain and thunderstorms!
Today we've had blue sky and sunshine, then 20 minutes later, black clouds and heavy rain.
I took this photo this afternoon.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
(Zone 3b)

52°F Overcast with temps up in the 60's in the forecast.
Welcome, kniphofia~that's one amazing threatening cloud.
rann~I love your sitting area; all so very neatly done; you do good work:)) Nature's Pearl is a wonderful name; think I'll adopt it, ok?
marsue~sure a pretty area you've got, too. Sorry you've a hot day to contend with.
kwanjin~seems I recall that wasps/bees love soda pop; this must be a real treat for them.
This is the edge of the summit; from here it drops hundreds of feet.
The hillocks are rocks, now covered in vegetation.

Thumbnail by kiska
TAYLOR, TX(Zone 8a)

kwanjin, here is a link to a better photo, which you are welcome to send to your friends. You can either send them the link, or print the picture and send an actual picture. http://wc4.worldcrossing.com/webx?14@@.1de4b611/2095

(Zone 7a)

Thanks very much, Hummerlou. They're going to love it.

Welcome kniphofia.
What are your normal temperatures?
;)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi, kniphofia! Glad to have you here on the weather thread. Those are some threatening-looking clouds! In Arkansas we have a saying: "If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes and it will change." LOL However, in these dog days of summer, there is just the same every day: heat, humidity and haze.
Kiska, we would call those "hillocks" moss-covered rocks. LOL

Speaking of heat, it is currently 100º and sunny with scattered clouds about.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.