August Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

100F?! I don't know how you stand it! I lived in Maine for 10 years and was amazed by the difference in temperatures year round. We often got into the 90s in summer and down to -20F in winter. Here in Britain we don't get anything like those extremes.
Northumberland is England's most northerly county, just below the border with Scotland and we're close to the North Sea coast. So we get a lot of cloud cover. Today it's been about 65F.
Here's a photo from mid week when I went to a local beach. There were lots of washed up jellyfish and an eerie sea fret.
Sue

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's only 98° (37 °C) here right now. :-) Welcome to the Weather forum, Sue!! I hope you keep posting. We love hearing about the weather in other countries/states/areas. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (8 min ago)
Temperature 98 °F 37 °C
Dew Point 69 °F 21 °C
Humidity 38% I should have watered this morning.. my garden is NOT going to be happy about this 38%!
Pressure 29.92 in 1013.3 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 105 °F 41 °C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.0°F / 23.9°C

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sue, we stand the heat by staying inside in the air conditioning! LOL What a neat photo that is of the "eerie sea fret". (BTW, my middle name is Sue). :o))

We cross-posted, Marylyn. ONLY 98º--lucky you! We are up to 101º now. LOL

This message was edited Aug 2, 2008 3:05 PM

(Zone 5a)

Sue - thanks! and welcome :-) Hope you stick around :-) I love that photo from the beach :-)

Marsue - thanks :-) I got DH to help me out a bit today so we made more progress than I could have on my own :-) Getting close to the end now!

Kiska - you're welcome to use it - it's a term we use for places of great natural beauty. There are many of nature's pearls scattered around the country as I'm sure there are over there too :-) Love the hillocks - they look like they could be from here ;-)

The heatwave is over - high of 60°F today and will be the same in the coming days. Mostly cloudy weather with scattered showers in the forecast.

'Masquerade'

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Afternoon! :D Sorry to have worried you all, butit couldn't be helped. At the moment the temp is 74° w/ T-storms on & off. We have had an inch & 1/2 since this morining.
At Dublin...
Clear: 79°F
Feels like: 79°F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 70°
Humidity: 74%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 6 mph WSW
Sunrise: 6:28 AM
Sunset: 8:29 PM
UV Index: 8 Very High

I am hopelessly behind & I tried to read all of the posts that was possible. Thank you all for your concern, I have missed "talking" to you all. But all of the Great Pics! Wow! :D
E_B, Congrats on your new arrival! :D Your arbor looks really Neat! I think that brown would be nice.
Jackie, I Love the hike you took to the lake! What a beautiful place! You could really have some solitude there! :D It looks like crystal clear water! Wow!
Hummerlou! What a Gorgeous pic! :-O
Marsue, :D Thanks for trying to track me down. Glad to hear that your friend is doing well. Are all the tubes out now? But glad the staples are gone. They sound painful. 'Hope your temps get somewhat cooler! Ewwww!
Sharon, How is Gary? He is in my thoughts & prayers, always.
Celia, Take care of you back! Hope you get up to "par" soon. LOL I had to laugh at the Hummers fighting the bees....Shoot! Hummers fight hummers! LOL They have even hovered around me wondering wheather to fight me or not! :D
Kelli, Your hike was Magnificent! I love all of the great shots!
Adina, So sorry to hear about Boss. I know that you miss him so much. :(
Dyson, Mt. Airy? Now your getting pretty close to me! :) Hope the move goes well & you get on-line really soon!
Rann, Your Rose! Ooooo, So pretty! :D Almost as pretty as your girls. ;)
Welcome Sue! :D You'll love it here. It's about the only forum I care to go to. :D

And today's trivia! is...
This gas makes up approximately .04 parts per million of the earth's atmosphere.
a) Nitrogen
b) Argon
c) Water Vapor
d) Ozone

Have a Great Weekend!!!:D (ah...it's so good to be back! ;)
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Joey,
So glad to hear from you. I bet JW is grown you've been gone so long.
I'll guess Argon.
What kind of little critter is in that flower?
So glad you are back.
;)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome back, Joey!! We missed you. (And we need a baby fix!)

Dyson, I hope your move goes smoothly. It's never fun, but hopefully it won't be horribly stressful for you and your dw. :-)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

So good to see you posting again, Joey! The critter in your flower is really unusual--do you know what it is? Guessing A on the trivia. Show us a pic of JW! We missed his sweet, little face, too.
Rann: Masquerade is gorgeous! very similar to Rio Samba but more rosey tones. Looking forward to seeing your pics of the new path.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

HHH. Probably in the hundreds and it's very hard to breathe out there.

(Zone 3b)

59*F ~ overcast and a cool breeze picking up.
Length Of Visible Light: 19h 15m
Tomorrow will be 5m 27s shorter
So nice seeing you again, Joey. Like the others; we've missed you and "our" JW fix:) A
Well, we've turned on the heat~second time this "summer". Just got too cold to be comfortable w/layers on.
rann~the rose is just gorgeous; not much longer till we see your finished walk, glad you've had help.
Sue ~love the beach scene.
Another "Nature Pearl" lake up at Hatcher Pass; this one is alongside the road. Hiking up above it, there's another, just like a string of pearls.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! :D
I have no earthly idea what kind of critter is on Edna, but it was very tiny.
Jackie, a string of pearls, hm.... Neat!

Ok, here is a fix for you JW fans. :D
(he's sitting on a rock in the river..playing w/a rock.)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

And here is one of him watching his toes go into the New River for the 1st time.

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

Joey~this is what we've missed:)) (you,too, of course:) He's as cute as ever.
rann had mentioned that this type of lake is referred to as a Nature Pearl, pr other places of natural beauty; sure is an apt name.
Vegetation slowly covering more rocks.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Part of the growth covering rocks.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, Joey, we were having withdrawals from not getting our JW fix. He is so cute and it is such fun to be able to take part in a grandchild's "first" this and that.
Kiska: love the "Nature's Pearl" and the moss-covered rocks

96º at 8:33 p.m. and almost Dyson dark.

(Zone 7a)

It's turning out to be a great weekend. Joey AND Crissyr have turned up. No more worries! LOL

Joey, you have no idea what it means to see those baby toes! With no more kids around here and no GKs or grand-nieces/nephews on the way, it's been hard. Your funny-face is worth waiting for. Thanks.

Dyson, I know your moving but I missed to where you're moving. Where, please?

We had 98º and no clouds until just before sunset. It was a pretty pink and very sultry.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Good morning :-)

It's raining, 58°F and fairly calm. It's a fine misty rain, and welcome. I was just thinking last night that I really should water the garden - so glad that's been taken care of for me ;-) lol

Joey! So glad to see you back - you have been greatly missed :-) JW is as cute as ever :-)

Kiska - wonderful photos :-)

Thanks marsue :-) I'll post a pic of the path when it's done - it'll probably be a few weeks at the rate I'm going ......

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Started moving to an apartment in Rocky Mount, VA yesterday. That place is small, will take some major adjustments on our part.

Sunny, bright, 75°

(Zone 7a)

Very good luck to you, then. A major move is disruptive but satisfying in the end.

68°F with 98º and a 15% chance of rain. We'll see.
Feels like: 68°F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 46°
Humidity: 45%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 6 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:26 AM
Sunset: 8:39 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

An orange safflower popped in with the yellow ones.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: lovely sunset and pretty orange safflower. It's hot and sultry here, too.
Rann: lovely flowerbed! How long will your blooming season last?
Dyson: hope all is going well with the move. A smaller place always takes an adjustment--ask me how I know! :o))
Yes, it's good to have Joey back with us and to know that Cristine(crissyr) is on the mend after an appendectomy. However, I was thinking that we haven't heard from Tamara Faye in quite some time. How about it, Sidney--any word from TF?

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 100°F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 52%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:19 AM CT
Avg. High: 92°F
Record High: 103°F (1987)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 74°F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 72%
Sunset: 8:08 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68°F
Record Low: 55°F (1997)

I found this critter on my Sunsprite--even spiders are pretty when they are lime green! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Love that green spider!
Another very changeable day here, about 68F with beautifully dramatic clouds.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
(Zone 3b)

52F raining
Dyson~Good luck w/moving day; hope it all goes well.
rann~~your flower garden is gorgeous. Like there, we don't water often and when we do, it's with buckets of water from the rain barrels.
marsue~very pretty; both flowers and bug. The thought of 100 weather is very difficult to imagine. We gave those temps up 30 years when we came up here and have adapted very well, for the most part:)
kwanjin~hope you're feeling better~that's a nice bright bloom.
Not too far up the trail, I turned to take this pic.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

hi kniphofia~ the clouds are as dramatic as ever, beautiful.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

A severe thunderstorm capable of producing winds in excess of 60 mph and nickel-sized hail is heading toward our area as I type. I can see the dark, threatening clouds and hear the thunder. It hasn't reached us just yet but is on the way. I'm turning my computer off now. Will be back after this is over.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Same old, same old here. HHH and very bright sun.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a really cute video of twin baby Moose in the sprinkler.
http://www.maniacworld.com/twin-baby-moose-in-sprinkler.html
;)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, our so-called thunderstorm never materialized. It was "much ado about nothing" LOL I suppose it just blew around us. Of course, we could have used some rain but I certainly didn't want 60 MPH winds and nickel-sized hail.

Sidney: that video of the twin moose is soooo cute!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marsue: That's a Green Lynx spider. They hang out on my Snapdragons. :)
We had a t-storm like yours this morning. Just blew on past us. Not a drop in our direction.

Kniphofia: Gorgeous shot of your sky! Very 3-d!

I've missed the past couple of days and I have missed so much!
Joey: Good to "see" you!
Dyson: Best of luck with the move.

Just plain hot and humid the past 2 days. Overcast, still, and muggy.
Deb

My first Candy lily bloom.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Joey........Wow! JW is Big! Have you been sprinkling fertilizer on him?

Kiska...........Gorgeous photos--as always!

Knip........Welcome aboard. Those clouds look like the same ones we have had here the past few days.

Rann.........Your gardens are looking so green and vibrant and I really love that rose. Do you happen to know what it's called? Looks like quite a summer project you have taken on. Take it easy. The construction part of my new bed project is almost finished. I'll post an updated photo.

We had a weekend of simply wonderful weather here in NW Pa. Blue skies, fluffy clouds, not too hot. It just doesn't get any better. Looks like low 80's for Mon. and Tues. then 8 days of 70's with an occasional shower or thunderstorm. It has been an almost perfect growing season here with sun and rain coming in just the right amounts.

I went on a long bike ride yesterday morning and came across a large Amish auction over in Ohio. It just happened to be at one of the farms I posted the photo of in the previous thread. When I got home I collected the wife and we drove back over. It was quite a production. They had all kinds of food booths set up, homemade ice cream, baked goods, barbecued chicken, and pizza baked in a wood fired pizza oven. Pretty cool. There were photo ops galore but the Amish frown on cameras so I took a couple shots from a distance and left the camera in the truck. After the auction we headed up to Erie for the Blues/Jazz Festival.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

A closer view.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I photographed and posted this barn rising out of the wheat field last week. Now the wheat has been cut and the straw stacked by hand.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Later.........on to the Blues Fest.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And finally, my project. All of the rocks are set and the base for the bench is in place. A neighbor offered me a large pile of rock as well as a good number of cut foundation stones. All I had to do was haul them away. I got the rest of what I needed from the in laws farm. Since I made the fence from old 6' privacy fence that was given to me and the stone were all free all I have in the whole project so far is a half dozen 2x4's, four 4x4 posts, a few bags of redi-mix and some fence brackets--less then a hundred dollars. I still need to......

Set the top of the bench. It's 4 feet long, nearly 1 foot thick and around 18 inches wide and weight several hundred pounds. I'll need help for sure.

Wheelbarrow a bunch of compost and spread it

Head to the farm for a couple loads of well rotted manure

Paint the fence

Finish the arbor, put the colored glass in the windows, and add copper accents on the corner posts.

Plant! Plant! Plant!

I'm just glad to be done with the stone work!

early_bloomer

(Zone 7a)

Wow! That's very neat, Early. I would love to see that. Very nice.

I am feeling better, Kiska. Thank you. The meds my Dr. gave me are doing the trick. I was able to rest up and I'm ready for work tomorrow. It's still a little stiff but it's better every day.

Just plain hot here, too, Deb. lol

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Sorry. We crossed. That's very, very nice work. My house next? LOL

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kwanjin........Thanks! Glad you're feeling better. Your house next huh? I'll add you to my list!

I was very happy when I saw the neighbor's stone pile included these nice squared ones. they were perfect for the corners and ends inside the fence.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Aug 3, 2008 11:18 PM

(Zone 7a)

Lucky find, indeed! I look forward to the plantings. Any ideas what you put there? Or did I miss that somewhere?

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone! So much going on I'll have to catch up later. And welcome to our 2 new friends kniphofia and hummerlou!

It's been a looong weekend. Gary was released from the hospital last night. His white cell count got down to .03 (not good at all). I managed to get a little done in the lawn and garden, but not much. I'll have to tackle most of it this week after work.

Joey - It's good to have you back! You were missed! Thanks for the d-mail.
Marylyn - Are you ready to "batten down the hatches"?

75.2 °F / 24.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30%.

We're back in the "vague" forecasts - "lower 90's" ha...that generally means about 94.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Deb: thanks for the ID on the spider. Someone on the Mid-south forum told me that they have a nasty bite, too, but not poisonous like brown recluse or black widows. I leave spiders alone as long as they are eating the bad bugs in my flower beds. If they are in the house--well, that's another story! Pretty Candy lily.
EB: sounds like you and the DW had a fun week-end. Those are some great photos! Your arbor garden is going to be lovely. I can hardly wait to see that bench as well as the entire garden once you get it planted.
Celia: You will have to get in line behind me. EB is supposed to come down here and help my DH with our next project! LOL Ahhh, cats! gotta love 'em!
Cute picture. Glad you are feeling better.
Sharon: sorry about Gary's white cell count--continuing to pray for him. How many MPG does the motorcycle get?
Today
Partly Cloudy
High 101°F
Precip 10%
Wind: SE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 54%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:20 AM CT
Avg. High: 92°F
Record High: 103°F (1987)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 74°F
Precip 0%
Wind: SSE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 69%
Sunset: 8:07 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68°F
Record Low: 55°F (1974)
We have a heat advisory today. Heat indexes will be between 105º and 110º!
Last night around 8:30 p.m. another dark cloud with thunder and lightning and wind blew over and left us not a drop of rain! :o((

Illustris EE edited to add: with Mexican Petunias along border of flower bed.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 8:04 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! All! :D At the moment we have a temp of 61°! (the calm before the Heat). We're supposed to be in the 90's come tomorrow.
At Dublin...
Clear: 63°F
Feels like: 63°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 61°
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 5 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:30 AM
Sunset: 8:27 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

E_B, That Looks Great! :D You can put me on the list, too! :D The Blues Fest looks like it went really well. LOL No...we haven't been putting fertilizer on him! :D We all got a good laugh at that one! ;) But he is well above average for height & weight on the Drs chart. btw, Love the barn & straw pic! Neat-O
Thanks Sharon! :D, I hope that Gary is feeling better today. He's still in my prayers.
Deb, Good to 'see' you, too! :D How's the water table level doing? And what a Gorgeous Lilly! :-O
Sidney, Thanks. And the video is absolutely Precious! :D
Marsue, As I was going thru the posts that I'd missed (when absent) I noticed that Tamara Faye wasn't anywhere to be seen. I just thought that I had missed something. I hope that she is OK. And that little green spider is rather cute! ;D And what a Gorgeous! Flower Bed! :D
Celia, It's nice to be missed. :) I have another funny face for ya.
Jackie, Thanks for the hike! It certainly is a gorgeous place! One of these days...

The state fair starts next week end..hope to get some more great pics. And JW is going for one evening. 'Hope to get some good reactions! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D
The ozone layer protects us from the sun's harmful UV rays.

Today's trivia is...
In what year was the first weather satellite launched?
a) 1940
b) 1950
c) 1960
d) 1970

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.