August Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

(Zone 3b)

51F Overcast but I see patchy blue sky here and there.
Will get back later; coffee is calling:)

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Joey: mmmm, give that fat little neck a big kiss for me--there's nothing as sweet as neck sugar! It sure is good to see that sweet little face again and to have you back with us.
Kiska: love the view and I like those gold hiking shoes, too! Enjoy the coffee-I've had my quota for the day.

Currently it is a "cool" 83º! :D

another of my EE's

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Answer is C. 1960.

Cute picture, Joey!!! LOL

What a view, Kiska! I need more coffee. I'm using the tall mug today. Mmm...

Pretty EEs, Mau. The mexican petunias a nice. I've seen those around here but I never knew what they were.

79°F with 97º and thunderstorms. No clouds in sight yet nor any wind to speak of.
Feels like: 79°F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 38°
Humidity: 23%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:27 AM
Sunset: 8:38 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

It says further down that the UV is 10 today. On Fridays forecast, it says UV:N/A. Huh? Not Applicable? Are we all going to be dead then? Just curious...I have things to take care of, if that's the case.

Caught this with the new lens.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

And look what else I found? My Iceberg is back!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great shot of the hummer, Celia! and congrats on your Iceberg!

Currently 92º and sunny

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

The coffee was good, glad to be back; this time, with afternoon coffee:)
56F ~ very overcast now, with rain looking very possible.
marsue~thanks, the hiking boots did well for me this time.
83F ~ does it feel cooler?
I recall seeing DebinSC's EE pics; they get to be quite large, right?
kwanjin~the Iceberg is gorgeous; as is the hummingbird; bet you're loving the new lens.
Joey~What a huggable little guy:)) C
In answer to Sugarweed's topic, this is what happened in the yard today.
He gave a little "buck" as he took off.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Before I do anything I just have to show y'all my new chair. I've had it on order for almost 3 months. Callie likes it LOL! It swivels and rocks.

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It is definitely more humid than this weather report says.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 04, 2008
90 °F / 32 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 °F / 31 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 18000 ft / 5486 m
(Above Ground Level)

There have been a lot of altocumulus clouds here all day and it is or will probably rain in the mountains or deserts. It won't rain here. It does rain in the desert in the summer. It doesn't rain here. You can bet your boots they'll interupt my ball game with that blasted flash flood watch warning. You'd think they could better direct those things to the areas where they are relevant. Maybe Time Warner West Valley needs a geography lesson.

Marylyn, BTW, Manny Ramirez is a big hit here. He was a fan favorite even before he stepped onto the field for the first time.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 3:57 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
You can bet your boots they'll interrupt my ball game with that blasted flash flood watch warning. ... Maybe Time Warner West Valley needs a geography lesson.

Or at the very least priority lesson! LOLOL

So far it looks like TS Eduoard is going to come on shore near Galveston, so we are going to get very wet tomorrow. As usual, I'm not worried about anything but falling branches (we have 2 pecan trees that stretch over the house, the neighbors to our east have a HUGE live oak and the neighbors to the west have a HUGER ash tree) and the possibility of tornadoes. Even if this were going to be a really big storm (and it isn't), we're too far from the Gulf to worry about storm surges, and our neighborhood doesn't flood. I d-mailed Sharon our phone numbers, just in case. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (8 min ago)
Temperature 96 °F 36 °C
Dew Point 71 °F 22 °C
Humidity 44%
Pressure 29.88 in 1011.8 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 105 °F 41 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.0°F / 22.8°C

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 6:05 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: You have meese in your yard again! :) (Pretty flowers.) And that's some gorgeous scenery from your hike!
Sharon: We're in those kind of vague days here, too. :)

We DID get some rain early this morning, about 1/3 of an inch. Yay.

Marsue, here's how your illustris will look next year if it gets lots of water. :)
(Lousy shot of my front walk, but you can see the one tiny illustris I planted there 2 years ago.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marylyn: We crossed. Hope that any branches that fall are verrrry small ones. :)
Deb

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

80º with thunderstorms moving through the area from the northwest but no rain here yet.

kwanjun..........I'm still not sure what's going in the new bed. I have a bunch of Knock-Out and carpet roses I bought last fall that need a home as well as a bunch of things I bought at plant sales this summer. The outside border will be flowers for sure but I might even plant a mixture of flowers and veggies inside the fence.

Joey..........the Blues Fest went well--right up until the transformer blew and they lost all power to the park and stage. The headliner (Mem Shannon from New Orleans) had just started his show. Everyone went home. :( You're on the list. Expect me sometime around June, 2014.

Scene from a recent bike ride.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Deb........Beautiful entryway!!!

early_bloomer

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

E_B: Put me down for 2015? ;-> Thanks for the nice comment on my entryway. It's gotten away from me a bit this summer. I'm enjoying following the progress on your new garden.
Deb

That's right Marylyn, don't get between Kelli and her ball game. ;-) The Cubs and Astros are on ESPN right now. I'm watching that.

Nice pictures, Deb and E_B. Deb, was your house built in the 1940s or early '50s?

Okay starting from the top!

Sidney – What are the pretty pink flowers? Got it – polka dot geraniums!
Rann – That’s a beautiful picture. The “hill” to the right reminds me of Devils Tower (sort of) http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_devilstower.html
Marsue – I think it’s the heat that’s turning your pink flowers white – just sucking the color right out of them LOL!
Kiska – I have saved several of your pictures as background!
Celia – Callie is getting as good as Boo about turning her head at just the right moment before I snap the picture. Are buckthorn berries edible? How is your back?
Hummerlou – That is one gorgeous picture! Hats off to you for capturing the moment!
Sidney – Your garden is gorgeous!
Rann – Your walkway is, well…perfect! What are you going to lay for the foundation? Got it – paving stone!
Kelli – Love the fog picture!
Man I’ve got a long way to go! LOL!
Kiska – What a beautiful spot…another year and we’ll be there to see it!
Dyson – You’re moving? I missed something….
Rann – That is a beautiful rose! School started in Georgia today. Starts on the 18th here. The kids are not happy about it!
Marsue – What are the flowers the bumblebees are on?
Celia – I haven’t spotted any wasps on the hummer feeders, only hummers and anoles.
Kiska- I love the “tommacks” Scottish for hillocks! Why do I know this? LOL!
Sue – I’ve heard that the jellyfish population has exploded this year. “They” say it’s due to the “fouled and warming oceans” are the reason. All I know is I’ve seen more here this year than any other.
Oh My Garsh…still so far behind…
JOEY – You were missed – we love you! Love the assassin critter. We have them here, they are good for the garden (mostly).
Marsue – I’ll have a Rio Samba on the rocks (especially after all this catching up!)
Joey – Give JW a big ole smackeroo from Auntie Sharon LOL!
Deb – There you are! Candy Lily is pretty!
E_B – Great pictures! I’m in love with the barn. It’s beautiful! The festival looks like it was a lot fun. Great job on the arbor...will you pen me in after Joey?! LOL! Can’t wait to see the bench!
Marsue – DH so far has driven 65 miles and is still on a full tank. He is going to refuel and do the “goesinta” (as he calls it) to get the mpg/hho. We’ve pretty much figured out that every time Gary has chemo…he’ll end up in the hospital due to the chemo killing off the white cells. Not fun, but it is the nature of the beast.
Joey – Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm JW is adorable! 1960 is the trivia answer.
Celia – Awesome pic of the hummer! Great job!
Kiska – Love the moose!
Marylyn – Got the numbers!
Deb – Your front walk is lovely : )

Where is Tamara Faye?
I'm beat going to bed LOL! That was a lot of catching up to do!

80.6 °F / 26 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 84 °F / 29 °C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3800 ft / 1158 m
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft / 1828 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph becoming south 5 mph after midnight.

It was so nice outside this morning at 7:30 and the temp was the same as now....ummmhmmm

I turned these ugly rusted out green spring steel chairs (from a garage sale) for $10 each

Thumbnail by MySharona

In to these lovelies! Now all I need to do is buy new cushions.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
That's right Marylyn, don't get between Kelli and her ball game. ;-) The Cubs and Astros are on ESPN right now. I'm watching that.

LOL That's what I say, too! I'm listening to the Astros game. We don't have cable, and our local stations only VERY rarely carry the games. That drives me crazy.

The chairs look great, Sharon!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kelli: Our house is a standard 1980s housing development creation. :)
Sharon: Great find!
Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

HHH. Supposed to start cooling down starting Weds. By end of week we should be in low 80s. Gonna feel kinda cold after the 100s. lol

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Talked to Tamara Faye and she sends her love to all and prayers for Gary.
She has been fighting racoons and polka dot younguns.
She's too busy to be on the computer for a while.
Sidney

Marylyn and Kelli,
My DGM on Daddy's side was (also) baseball crazy. She lived in Houston in the 70s & 80s and kept statistics on both of her teams there.
She'd have one on TV and one on radio at the same time. Her life "in season" revolved around being home for every game.
Sidney

(Zone 7a)

Busy, busy, busy. Everyone was busy today.

Thanks for the compliments on the rose. I wasn't sure I could bring her back but there she is. She has more buds on her, too.

Any suggestions of roses for the backyard near the wall?

Callie says the chair is acceptable. You always know you've made the right choice when the critters get on it before you do! LOL

Nice find, Sharon. You've certainly got a gift for them.

Keeping Gary is our thoughts here. My friends at work are in on it, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Thanks everyone. I did the happy dance when I found the chairs :) Not in front of the previous owners though...they might have raised the price LOL!

Gary has a 1 hour chemo appointment today then done through next week. Justin volunteered to take him this time. He's curious about the procedure and wants to show support before school starts. Wish he'd show that much drive at school!

I forgot who asked about the mpg on the Voyager, but I'll check with DH when he gets up.
Pepper - 80's sound like a cool front to me too!
Celia - Beautiful flower!

76.3 °F / 24.6 °C
Clear
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 67 °F / 20 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 °F / 25 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds 5 mph becoming southeast 10 mph in the afternoon.

FOund these mushrooms under the Lugustrums (sp?)

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It was a sunny, 60°F, lightly breezy kind of day yesterday and it looks like more of the same today :-)

Sharon - thanks :-) School starts on Aug. 22nd here .... seems too soon to me. It used to start in the beginning of September - I liked that better ;-) lol Thoughts for Gary. The chairs look great!

EB - great photos :-) Interesting photos form the Amish sale. The fenced in garden is going to look wonderful when it's all planted :-)

Joey - what a cute face ! :-)

Deb - very pretty candylily :-) Your walkway looks great - full of exotics I'd be more familiar with as houseplants ;-) lol

Kiska - more wonderful photos :-)

Celia - pretty Iceberg blooms - I have that one too! Also blooming with lots of buds :-)

Sidney - we loved the moose video - I showed it to my girls, they thought it was great :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hellluuuu! :D Good morning to you all! :D Right now we have a temp of 63°, but it will change once the fog raises.Gonna be a scorcher, but I'm so thankful that it's not a repeat of last year!
At Dublin...
Clear: 66°F
Feels like: 66°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 64°
Humidity: 94%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:31 AM
Sunset: 8:26 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Marylyn, Hope all is well w/ you this morning. Hope that the trees hold up! Take care!
Sharon, You did a fine job on those chairs! :-O What a great find! ;D I see the new chair you ordered is well liked by Everyone! ;) I hope you get to sit in it! :D
Sidney, I'm glad that TF is alright, but racoons & chicks don't go together! I could loan her Jack, if he road in a car, but I can't even get him to the vet! I have to walk him there. He hasn't killed a racoon, but he's killed 2 groundhogs. I love it when he brings me presents...NOT! Maybe I'll just loan her my 22 rifle.
Deb, Absolutely Love your walkway! Very Pretty! :D
E_B, What a shame about the power going out! What a Bummer! He would have be so good! THat is a 1950-something truck, but what is the make? Definitely an antique! ;)
Kelli, You & Marylyn are so funny! :D We love baseball, too, but I don't think we're so "hard core"! ;) LOL
Kiska, Love the little moose frolicking in your yard! So cute! :D And the boots look rather neat.
Celia, Love the Iceberg (Gorgeous!!) And a really good pic of the hummer! :D
Marsue...I kissed the little chubby neck & all I could do was laugh, cuz he was giggling so much! ;)
Hi!! Rann!! (((waving))) :D

The answer to the trivia is...C
In 1960, Tiros 1 was launched into space.

Today's trivia is...
Which wave has the shortest wavelength?
a) AM radio waves
b) Microwaves
c) Visible light
d) X rays

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

D on the trivia, Joey. :-) So far we're just fine... We have a light drizzle and a slight breeze. Last night it looked like the tropical storm was heading right into Galveston Bay, which would have aimed it right at us, but it swerved north and is dumping on Beaumont and the far southwestern corner of Louisiana. We still have a flash flood warning, and are likely to get 3-6 inches of rain - maybe more, depending on the rain bands. Most of the yucky stuff is going to go north of us. We and our roof are very thankful.

School starts here on the 25th. The little bunny is going back to Pre-Kindergarten, so the big bunny and I are going to start homeschool on the same day.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:41am CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 77 °F 25 °C
Dew Point 69 °F 21 °C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 29.88 in 1012 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir WNW 300°
Ceiling 2600 ft 792 m
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 81 °F 27 °C
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks 0.05" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0°F / 25.0°C

Today Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs in the upper 80s. Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to around 45 mph in the morning becoming southwest with gusts to around 35 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Marylyn, Glad that the brunt of the storm will miss you !:D 'Hope no wind comes w/ the 3"-6" of rain.

A good quote:
The urge to create, the urge to photograph, comes in part from the deep desire to live with more integrity, to live more in peace with the world, and possibly to help others to do the same.

— Wynn Bullock

(My Boneset)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

And my Joe Pye...

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

50F heavy clouds draped over the mountain top and half-way down.
6am ~ the quiet time.
School starts August 18th. 2 gkids live w/us and are not too anxious to go back. One in 2nd grade, the other, 4th.
Love the chatty posts; have a good day; especially to Gary.
Yesterday's moose pic.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

My server has been down -off and on-- so I need to make this quick.
Sharon, love the swivel rocker. I've had one for 15 years and it is my favorite chair--great for rocking grandbabies--or cats! LOL Also, love your "new" steel chairs--a great find! Sorry Garry is having to deal with the low white blood count. give him a hug for me. Those flowers with the bumblebees are Mystic Blue Spires Salvia--hummers and bees love them!
Marylyn: glad the worst of the storm is missing you. Limbs on the roof would not be a good thing! Our school starts here on Aug. 19th. Good thing all the schools here are air conditioned!
Joey: I can hear JW giggling now! :o)) D on the trivia sounds good to me. Your pooch looks relaxed--LOL That's a great quote.
Sidney: glad to hear that Tamara Faye is okay. Polka-dot children? Does that mean they have had chicken pox?
Deb: love your entryway. I can believe that my Illustris will grow that much by next year--it has already quadrupled in size since I bought it in the spring.
EB: wonder how many miles that truck had on it before it was "retired"? I love photographs like that.
Celia: are you wanting to plant climbing roses or shrub roses or tea roses? You should go to the American Rose Society's website. They have a list of the top 10 fragrant roses there but I don't know which ones would survive the winter in your zone. Pretty yellow and red flower--some type of daisy?
pepper: it is supposed to start "cooling down" here, too--down to 90º by Sunday! LOL

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 98°F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSW 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 54%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:21 AM CT
Avg. High: 91°F
Record High: 99°F (1970)
Tonight:
Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 73°F
Precip 0%
Wind: S 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 71%
Sunset: 8:06 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68°F
Record Low: 53°F (1974)
We are losing daylight minutes everyday--:o((

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: Those are two good photos of the moose! Have you ever thought about home-schooling your gkids?

(Zone 7a)

I should have said, Mau. It's Gaillardia. I don't know the variety but I think it's Goblin. Hopefully, it's not just a sport. You're plant looks like my Carex, Ice Dance.

Still have Gary in my pocket.

80°F with "only" 94º later today. It's much cloudier than yesterday.
Feels like: 80°F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 34°
Humidity: 19%
Wind: 13 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:28 AM
Sunset: 8:37 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Going to guess D, as well.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Clouds...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Sweet Allysum.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Those mushrooms look kinda like Reese's Peanut butter cups!
:)
Deb

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Awwww.... Deb... Now I'm hungry.

Sultry!!!
94.1 °F / 34 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/hVariable
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 96 °F / 36 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Tamara said those blasted racoons were going after ducklings.
Doug had even slept out there one time and the racoon was so sneaky he didn't even wake him.
She said they were marking red dots on 16mo. with blue dots to make sure he's not getting more. She said that was one more thing "done" if it is CP.
;)

(Zone 7a)

Mmm...Reese's Peanutbutter Mushroom Cups...

Snapped this when I got home for lunch. Goldfinches. We don't get many, just a few.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2008 2:21 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Raccoons are trouble. Tiger and Fat Elvis, two of my pond fish, have disappeared in the past few days. I don't know if a raccoon got them, but I wouldn't be surprised. It has happened before.

The usual...

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on August 05, 2008
90 °F / 32 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 °F / 31 °C
UV: 11 out of 16