August Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

(Zone 7a)

Morning, everyone! I was off and running first thing today. Up early and had breakfast with my neice and her mom. Then, back here to see the new furniture and give my DN that rug from the bedroom. Her son and hubby went camping last night and were home by the time we were done, so they had to leave earlier than I'd hoped. (sigh) Oh, well. I see them a lot. so it's okay.

Gary is amazing to put up with all he does. I envy him his patience. And that Luna is a wonderful color.

Kiska, that's very cute! We don't have anything that color that I can think of here.

Mau, yippee! for you! LOL I would think you could pot those up.

Rann, is your whole country volcanic? I see evidence of it in all your pics, which are lovely and amazing. I can't get over how big your girls are getting.

Joey, I'm going to guess B on the trivia. I love the contrast of the astilbe against the wall. Was that planned or a lucky accident?

84°F with 92º for later. I already have the cooler on. Tiny clouds on the horizon.
Feels like: 84°F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↓
Dewpoint: 52°
Humidity: 33%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:30 AM
Sunset: 8:35 PM
UV Index: 6 High

Buckthorn berries.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

se_eds: yummmmm, tomatoes! Your valley sounds like an idyllic place to live.

I whined too soon--we have had a lovely rain shower this morning and our temperature is a balmy 76! Life is good, indeed!! :o))

edited to add: Morning, Celia! or rather "afternoon"--it's after noon, here. :o))

This message was edited Aug 7, 2008 12:42 PM

(Zone 5a)

Celia - thanks. Yes the whole country is volcanic. We're situated on a "hot spot" which is how the country was formed.

We actually went whale watching today despite the rainy outlook. We had a great time and spotted lots of Minke whales.

Leaving the harbor in Reykjavik :

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

The shoreline:

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

The only whale I managed to get a photo of - they were pretty hard to catch - they'd disappeared again before the camera had focused.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

it did rain a bit and we did get wet - but still had a good time. Hildur Eva didn't like to have to wear a life west at all ........

Thumbnail by rannveig
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I haven't done "Where am I" in ages. I've been kind of busy to keep up with it, plus the topo maps online are not free anymore.

Rann, it's amazing how you (all Icelanders - human, animal, and plant) have adapted to the weather.

(Zone 7a)

LOL That girl makes the funniest faces! She too cute! Looks like you had a good time regardless of the weather. Nice shot of the whale.

I got this a minute ago. I heard a 'peep' outside and thought a hummer was on the feeder. I missed the first one. She was on the feeder trying to get the water. Female house finch.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

House finches eat us out of house and home when it comes to sugar water. That reminds me, I better fill up the feeder. DH isn't here to do it.

Today's photo from the archives - Mono Lake

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 7a)

Got her! She's so heavy, she's hanging sideways.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann: Hildur Eva's expression says it all! How fun to be able to go whale watching!
Celia: it seems that all kinds of critters like that sweet nectar.
Kelli: what a great shot of Mono Lake!

still overcast here--we may very well get more rain. :o))

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Got very cloudy and hot today - in the mid 80's. About 1-1/2 hour ago I got Emerg. Weather warnings for a tornado in my area. It was spotted across the river and - like all the other rain storms headed southeast about 35 miles south of us. It never touched the ground, but those folks got 1/2 in of rain per hour. We did get 1/4" of rain but missed the high winds and a lot of the lightening. Now 72 degrees, sunny and beautiful.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We had a nasty storm move through just before 5pm. Thunder and lightening every where, but it brought RAIN!! YAY! 1.5”. Thank you for all of your support for Gary – he’s special.

Marsue –Yep…that’s donkey ears! The buds will begin to grow roots. Pull them off and pot them up!
Kiska – That is the prettiest color for a wildflower. It stands out nicely in the moss.
Se_eds – Sounds like a beautiful area you live in! Homegrown veggies are the best!
Rann – What a neat way to spend a day! I put the same face on as Hildur Eva about wearing life vests! I can’t stand them, but wear them anyway. They are a hideous fashion statement LOL!
Celia – Cute house wren!
Kelli – Mono Lake is beautiful

75.6 °F / 24 °C
Light Rain
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2800 ft / 853 m
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft / 1828 m
Overcast 13000 ft / 3962 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some storms may be strong or severe through the evening...with locally heavy rainfall possible. Low 74. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Lady Margaret

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Still nice out but no rain. It all went south of us. :~(

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: We must've had twin storms! We also had one blast through just after 5 and it left exactly 1.5" of rain. Coincindence? Hmmmmm. :)
It followed me home from work. This is our back screen porch during the rain. If you look close, you can see my Bird of Paradise getting battered by the wind.
Guessing the trivia answer is WA. or is it a trick question and it's really Niagara?
Rann: Love the look on that face! I hate wearing a life jacket, too.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 3b)

58F~had thunder today~very unusal but rather exciting; then it rained briefly, again.
kelli~how nice to see Mono Lake. Have you been there since being refilled? Last time I was there, the Tufas were way out in the dry lakebed; heard they are now in water.
se_eds~glad all's well and that you had a bit of rain.
kwanjin~you did get her~nice photo.
MySharona~ your lovely lady margaret is so pretty.
Deb~looks like a fantastic downpour.
Another tiny Alpine flower we found on the hike up Hatcher Pass.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Cute little violet! I haven't been to Mono Lake since they have let it fill. The picture was taken in 1992 or 1994.

(Zone 7a)

Nice little flower and a great color, Kiska.

So much rain and we keep getting missed. Are we lucky or not? Hmm... Tomorrow's forecast calls for a 40% chance of it.

Pretty, Sharon. Is it a passionflower?

Deb, did your BoP make it okay?

We did get some neat looking clouds. It's a cool 81º with a breeze through the house.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I wish I could send you some of our rain! We've had heavy showers pretty much every day in August so far, and more forecast for today. My lawn is waterlogged..

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's the weather data for July and August in Fort Worth, Texas. This (photo) is how we stay cool. I guess the hot dry summers are a trade off for milder winters.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/garden/monthly/76133?month=-1

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/garden/monthly/76133?month=0

Thumbnail by zacattack
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb - We must have had twin storms! Not sure what the rain total is (DysonDark), but I’ll find out later. That’s just what it looked like here!

I must have been tired last night to post that fuzzy picture of Lady Margaret! LOL!

Kiska – Pretty little flower!
Celia- Yes, passion vine, she’s huge now. Cool clouds!

Zacattack – Nice! You have a diving board…not allowed here anymore (at least that’s what I’ve been told). I know people that have them (older houses) and they are terrified an insurance adjuster will find out, they’ll be forced to remove the boards.

75.6 °F / 24.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

High 86. WHAT?!!! That's a nice little cool down...no complaints, but where did this treat come from?

This is the picture I meant to post!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy this morning, fairly calm and 57°F. Sunny as I'm typing this.

Sharon - Great photo of Lady M - she's such a pretty, vibrant color :-) I think that was the problem Hildur Eva had with the life west - she thought it looked awful! LOL She said it made her look fat ....... and I just thought WHAT?? She's 5! Where did that come from? (that would be her older sister, which I'm sure picked that phrase up from her school mates ..... oh dear)

Deb - I love that photo of your screened porch in the rain. Looks like a downpour - glad you got the rain :-)

Kelli - Well, people have been living here for a little over 1000 years and most of that time it was survival of the fittest ;-) I find it equally amazing how people can adapt to the heat. I didn't manage to do that in the 7 years I lived in Florida. Then it's taken me a loooooong time to adapt back to the cold - I'm just now getting there I think ;-)
lol Love the photo of Mono Lake :-)

zac - Hi! With those temperatures I think I'd never get out of that pool ;-) lol

Celia- cute birds :-) How cool to get a photo of them :-)

This was on the news last night - thought you might find it interesting. It's a story on one of the most hazardous roads in the country which has been popular with travelers this summer ......... not for the faint of heart that's for sure - but the scenery is amazing. Great views :-) They didn't say if it was a one way road - but I do wonder what you'd do if you met a car going in the other direction ....... http://dagskra.ruv.is/streaming/sjonvarpid/?file=4398011/13

A puffin from yesterday

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D The sun is shining brightly & it promises to be a beautiful day, w/a high in the 70's. At present the temp is 59°.Me & JW are hangin' out & plan on doing some outside yard work. I don't know whether to put him in his walker or put him in his little play pen. I may just alternate between the 2. It won't be long before he is walking, so I need to get stuff done Before! :D Once he starts walking ....I'll be running!. When we're on the deck & he's in the walker - I have to run already! DH just laughs at me!
At Dublin...
Clear: 66°F
Feels like: 66°F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 63°
Humidity: 88%
Wind: 5 mph NW
Sunrise: 6:33 AM
Sunset: 8:22 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

I'll try to get back to you all after while. Maybe when the little critter is down for a nap. I've been trying to type this for over an hour.

The answer to the trivia is...B
Wynoochee Oxbow has an average annual rainfall of 144.44 inches. A total 86 times greater than the average 1.68 inches for Death Valley, CA

Today's trivia is...
Q.What hurricane struck on January 2, 1955?
a) Hurricane Celine
b) Hurricane Sylvia
c) Hurricane Alice
d) Hurricane Constance

Later! ;D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Deb: that was some storm--hope your BoP made it without too much damage.
Kiska: very pretty flower--looks like a violet to me, too. The little turquoise flower is very pretty, as well. It never ceases to amaze me what beauty can pop up in such a short growing season as you have up there.
Celia: that is a neat looking cloud!
Zac: welcome! What a pretty little redhead you have there! Your "froggy" in the background seems to be relaxing, too. LOL Your temps in July and August appear to be about the same as ours were, although we have been a little cooler than you the last few days.
kniphofia: It would be nice if we could spread the rain around more evenly, wouldn't it?
Sharon: Lady Margaret is looking very lady-like! Glad you got some rain. We've cooled down, too. Our high today is supposed to be 90º.

Today
Partly Cloudy
High 90°F
Precip 20%
Wind: NE 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 56%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:23 AM CT
Avg. High: 91°F
Record High: 102°F (1980)
Tonight:
Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 65°F
Precip 10%
Wind: ENE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
Sunset: 8:04 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68°F
Record Low: 51°F (1989)

Hummer at the feeder this morning

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Joey: we cross-posted. Hooray! I finally got a trivia question right! LOL I'm guessing D on the latest trivia question.
Rann: I forgot to tell you that I watched the video--understood every word! NOT! LOL The scenery is ruggedly beautiful. I think one must surely have to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to traverse that "road".

Another view of the hummer

Thumbnail by marsue
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! It's going to be another day to stay inside here. Or in zacattack's pool! :-)

Joey, we had a bouncy "exersaucer" for the bunnies instead of a walker. More bouncing, less running! LOL They both loved it. (This is probably where the bunny nickname came from... They still both bounce a lot.) I loved the exersaucer... It never tipped over - and they bounced hard! Eventually they could climb in and out of it themselves, and it still never tipped over. It was easy to clean, too. I was sad when we finally put it away, and then eventually gave it away. (sniff, sniff...)

That's a cute puffin, Rann! I couldn't get the video to play on your link.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (23 min ago)
Temperature 78 °F 26 °C
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 29.99 in 1015.7 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Heat Index 84 °F 29 °C
Current Conditions Clear

Seven Day Forecast Issued 3:00am CDT -- Fri, Aug 8, 2008
Today Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. West winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning becoming east in the afternoon. Heat index readings 103 to 106.

The little bunny - about 4 years ago. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, never mind... The video worked fine that time. :-) The views are gorgeous!! But I sure wouldn't want to drive on that road!!

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 10:38 AM

(Zone 7a)

That was very scary, Rann! LOL I needed to jump start on my heart this morning! Thanks.

Your passionflower is a great color, Sharon. I've tried twice to grow them and no luck. Maybe too much attention? Do they require much or do you just leave it alone and let it do it's thing?

I would love a pool! LOL Looks very refreshing.

Cute little hummer, Mau.

Thanks, Knip! We got the rain you sent! LOL Hopefully, they didn't hold any back in Customs.

75°F with 87º for later. We nice after all the heat.
Feels like: 75°F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 57°
Humidity: 54%
Wind: 13 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:31 AM
Sunset: 8:33 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

50F~ sunny with more blue than clouds~guess I'd better get the camera:))
Sorry not being able to comment personally, but enjoyed the pics and will take a look now at the video. Sounds great.
Kiska

(Zone 5a)

Celia - you're most welcome ;-) lol Nothing beats a little thrill early in the morning. lol

Kiska - yay! You have sun :-) Enjoy it while it lasts :-)

Glad you guys enjoyed the video. There are quite a few roads here that are not for the faint of heart ..... but usually the scenery makes up for the bad road. Not sure I'd have the guts to travel that particular road although I am intrigued ......

We just watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Selma was amazed by the numer of people who took part in the ceremony and remarked that every person in China must be in that stadium. I told her that there were actually quite a large number of people that weren't. lol Such crowds are hard for us to comprehend - if 10 people get together here we have a crowd ;-) lol

It's been mostly cloudy today, but no rain so far.

On our Sunday drive we decided to follow a trail up to a lake that we've been wanting to visit for a few years. It was a pretty rugged trail to say the least, it was 4 miles to the lake - a seemingly short drive that turned out to be a 2 hour round trip (including a very short stop ...... )

A "smooth" part of the trail .....

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

A smaller lake on the way that we stoppe by for a while for the mandatory wading in ...... ;-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

The end of the trail. We didn't go further although the trail did continue, it was late, the girls had had their fill of bumpy rides and we did have to go back the same way ....... but there it is. The name of the lake is Hvalvatn (Whale lake) and the mountain behind it is Hvalfjall (Whale mountain). Behind the mountain is a very large and deep fjord named Hvalfjörður (Whale fjord) which I imagine both the mountain and lake are named after.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Going back down .... it's hard to tell on the photo but the right side of the road is considerably higher than the left side so the car was tilting more than I felt comfortable with .......

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 7a)

Bumpy ride, indeed. It looks like fun, though.

(Zone 5a)

It was :-) I love exploring out of the way places ......

(Zone 3b)

Great trip, rann~thanks for taking us, too. And, the sun is still shining here:))
I'd forgotten to mention that another volcano is erupting; that's 3 now active on the Aleutian Chain.
Joey~how's the yard work going? JW must be close to walking and you're right; there's no slowing down at that point. I've found that perhaps trying to keep w/gkids is beneficial; sure keeps one active:)) I have 4 gkids under 9 years old with me today.
This is a link to the Alaska Volcano Observatory: http://www.avo.alaska.edu/
I didn't bother to walk up to the snow; there'll be more later::)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kwanjin & Marsue: the BOP looks a little worse for wear today, but no major damage that i can see.
Zacattack: It would be soooo nice to have a pool to jump into!

Sharon: Your Lady M is always so pretty! I planted my first passiflora this year, it's about 3 ft.
tall. I don't know if they flower the first year or not, but it'd make be soooo happy if it did.

Rann: OMG so cool, you have Puffins! When i was a kid, I asked for a pet Puffin. Didn't get one, tho. (Your girls are truly "water babies". ;-> )
Joey: I'm guessing, C, Sylvia

Hot today, but feels downright pleasant. The storm must've taken some of the heat away. High today didn't quite reach 90F. Sunny and breezy now. A tad sticky. Chance of a t-shower, but not a big chance.
Deb

'nother shot from yesterday afternoon as that storm was following me home from work.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It rained. The day started cool and beautiful, temps in the high 70's, low 80's. A pop up thunderstorm occured and brought us 2/4 on an inch of rain in 15 minuted. WOW we are ecstatic. Currently 69 deg. Warmer tomorrow.

I have pink, red and white sweet peas climbing the clematis vines.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli.........Love that shot of Mono Lake. They have let it fill back up? That's good news. The last I knew it had been drained almost to the point of no return.

rann.........Applause, applause, clap, clap, clap! Great photo tour! Cool video too!

Deb.........Now that's some nasty looking weather!

Absolutely gorgeous day here in NW Pa. It's now 65°F under clearing skies, low humidity and rapidly falling Dyson Darkness. It rained last night and again around noon. I hadn't checked the rain gauge for a while and found it almost overflowing. It's a 5 inch gauge and it had 5 1/2 inches in it! Low 50's forecast for tonight and mostly clear and sunny tomorrow. Looks like a long bike ride for me!

I didn't manage to get any photos of the fantastic clouds this afternoon so here's a fireworks photo taken last month.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

se_eds..........Sweet peas climbing clematis vines. Great idea. I'm going to try that next year.

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.