A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Interesting thread over there at New Pond in Progress, Bonnie. Hey Happy Birthday to your sons, you too Sharon. Him(s) and me are about the same age, my 46th birthday is in 11 days. You and your husband's pond is nice, I liked all the photos, it really came along nicely. That English Ivy is doing fine, thanks. I'm glad cuttings of it start so easy.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Will HAPPY BIRTHDAY early in case I forget. Been quite a while since I saw 46. I had more energy than I knew what to do with at that age. I'll be 76 come Dec. and am very thankful I can keep going even if it is a little slower.
Take care,
Bonnie

Awww thanks Bonnie! Oh, 46 is no big thing here, let me tell you! I no longer buy breakfast cereal according to what kind of toy is inside the box! I quit doing that about 5 years ago! lol Although, sometimes when it pours into my bowl, I can't help but think, "ohh, what is this?!" I have some pretty long lifespans in my blood, my maternal grandparents are both 92 and doing quite well. It's funny, I have been exactly half their age or close for a few years, they remind me on occasion!
Will

This message was edited Aug 10, 2013 6:31 AM

I dug up some Creeping Jenny, (it's the gold kind, I believe this one is also called Golden Moneywort) in the yard and potted it up a few days ago. I set it in the fountain so it can get used to that spot. I might cut that pot down and set it in the water permanently if it seems to be going to do okay. I squirted some bleach in the water a few days ago, that apparently wasn't enuff, the mosquito larvae is still there! Here's that Creeping Jenny. - That's a pot of the English Ivy to it's left. There's 2 pots of English Ivy in there, the other one is out of the photo.
Will

This message was edited Aug 7, 2013 8:22 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Forgot to mention: I frequently throw plants into my unused fountain which has a large base. I keep water in it and the plants sprout roots and keep on growing. Guess that wouldn't work for you cause it gets too cold there. During the summer maybe it would work for you. I have revived many plants by just throwing them in it. It's a good place to put plants until I find just the right spot for them where they will be happy. Water depth looks just about the same as your base is where you have the pots. The nursery pot of the right looks like the plant is a little too far down. Most plants like their faces in the sun but not sure about the kind you have in it.
The creeping Jenny we had up north was all joined by a crawling root and we used to get it out of the woods to make Christmas wreaths out of it. Was lots of fun.
Bonnie

Thanks, I'll cut that black pot down to about half that height. This photo is full size, I put it in my Comcast webspace so it won't get resized like DG does to photos.
I'm not complaining I know DG does that to save space and stuff, no biggie.
Here it is full size, you can see the larvae better in it. -
http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_1310.JPG
That sounds like a good plan on reviving plants, Bonnie.
I'm gonna cut that pot soon, that's a good point, if it doesn't make it, I don't want it to be by anything that I did.
Will

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Will, if I can add my two cents' worth, there are just a few things....

You need to check to see if plants like English ivy (hedera) or Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), both perennials, are invasive in your area. Around here, ivy is difficult to contain, and we must be responsible gardeners.

Any water movement will deter mosquitoes from laying eggs, even a small flow, because if it pumps from the top and spills over, you will have more movement. Also, you won't have mosquitoes if you have fish. Mosquito dunks work, but they are for standing water only.

Last: You don't need water in that fountain at all. With a little creativity and elbow grease, you can use plants in containers. Trailing plants like sweet potato vine (ipomoea) do a beautiful job of trailing as do some of the coleuses trailers. They can be overwintered indoors if you have the space. If you don't have the space, they can be rooted in water (yes you can root a sweet potato vine cutting). Cuttings are usually free from friends, so that cuts down on the investment. A couple of rooted cuttings in a pot of soil will take off. Coleus both bush and trail, depending on variety. You can root them in soil, but they need a bit more attention. Even with pest damage, the sweet potato vines project color. (I'd like to shoot those deer.)

With a minimum of water, your friend/landlord would probably love that. Check out the container gardening threads.

First photo is a black sweet potato vine with pinstripe petunias and a coleus in the center. Second is a coleus(Redhead) and another coleus which is I think is Florida Sun Rose. The third has mostly trailing chartreuse sweet potato vine.
Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166

Thanks Marcia. I have 'Watermelon' Coleus. I love that Coleus though, it's real pretty and it starts fast and easy by cuttings. In fact, I just started several cuttings of them in soil about 10 days ago and they've already rooted. I don't have any Sweet Potato Vine. Earlier today, I did some stuff for that fountain. I cut down the Creeping Jenny pot so it can get more sun in the water. That was the 1st and 2nd photos, this 3rd one is the Coleus, I don't know if this kind will trail but it sure is pretty.
Thanks for chiming in Marcia, it's important to do this fountain job right.
Sure, I'm all for not having an invasive. But, my guess is they aren't going to be that kind of problem for me. The Creeping Jenny is slowly dying out in the yard and the Ivy doesn't seem interested in growing anywhere except where I plant it. It's not the regular green Creeping Jenny, it might be more invasive than this aka Gold Moneywort.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Love those pink coleus. I have some coleus but its not that variety. Beautiful.

Bonnie

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Coleus need very little encouragement; a little warmth, a little love, and don't allow them to dry out. Indoors coleus need a good amount of artificial light. Outdoors they get enough of the spectrum even in filtered light and shade.

Some strains will be stronger than others. When cost is an issue and I need to purchase a plant, I go to the nursery/grower very early and buy small plants or seeds. Not my favorite place, but you cannot beat the prices at Walmart for seeds.

Every year I plant caladium bulbs in containers that I start indoors. A lot of color for a little price. Another plant that dies down in dormancy and needs to come in for the winter. Much prettier in person than in the photo.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I had caladium bulbs last year. I put the pot by a flower bed to dry out and the gardeners (mow and blow) guys threw them in the trash. I never throw away a pot. I have a friend that comes by my house, takes cutting, grow them and then sales them on Craig's list. It helps supplement his social security. I order my coleus from Rosy Dawn. I have about 20 plants planted in one bed smack in the front of the landscape. They are now probably over a foot tall and bushy but hold each other up. I will try and take a photo sometime this weekend.

I had my birthday on the 4th, son and family came down from Spokane on the 2nd and we have had family for all that time in and out. They spent a few days in San Diego and daughter and her family went to Newport Beach, California. Everyone that can, leaves town the first two weeks of August. Everyone leaves this evening then back to normal for a day then the youngest grandson comes for a couple of days. He is 4. My daughter is going to help me with him.

That's a good idea on Caladiums! I love Caladiums, maybe they'll like sitting in water!
I'll get a package of bulbs from Walmart of them in the Spring.
Yeah, that pinkish Coleus is nice. I only have one kind of Coleus, it's 'Watermelon'. Here the biggest patch of it is today. I've started the heck out of a hanging planter of it that I bought around 3 years ago for about $3. The 1st 2 photos are the same plant. This is what's left of the original plant, (after I cut on it) it had a little stub sticking out earlier in the year and I knew it would leaf out eventually, here it is now..lol
Will

Athens, PA

Very pretty Will. I love coleus with all the vibrant colors.

I think I would try 1 or 2 of the caladium bulbs in the water and see how they go before putting all of them in. I think they will rot with too much moisture.

Thanks Carolyn! I love my Coleus! Well, I have a birthday in 3 days. I wish I was more excited, but not so much, it's just another day. I'd love to grow older with a job, but as of now, with no job, not so sure!

Well, I got a big load (one cubic yard) of cedar mulch in my trusty, beatup (licensed..lol) trailer today! Oh, I just love putting down mulch, "I think I need a little here, a little over there", oh, there's nothing like mulching, (I'm easily entertained)!

Good idea on the Caladiums, I've been lucky so far, stuff has been okay with sitting in water, but prolly not everything. I am finding it hard to believe so much stuff is fine with sitting right in water. So far the 3 plants I've tried are fine with it apparently, Elephant Ears, English Ivy and Creeping Jenny. Oh, I was a big fan of Caladiums back in the day, (and still am). I was working on getting them used to my shade garden here. I have long since painted that wall white, that was so nasty then, well, painted in Sept. 2011. I believe the Caladiums got too cold in the unheated garage if I remember, they didn't come back. I have since learned to open the vent in there and it stays between 60° and 70° in the Winter. If I remember, a package of Caladium bulbs come in about 6 or 8 per package. But I really liked them, I liked the white ones with the red veins, they were prolly my favorite.
I bet Caladiums are good with sitting in water! They'll rot eh?! We'll just see! : ) They just look too much like Elephant Ears NOT to like sitting in water! I got my Mammoth Elephant Ears sitting in water and they apparently love it! Those bulbs were only called Mammoth Elephant Ears (at Walmart). In the last few years I've always had a problem with not getting them ENUFF water, so now they sit in it! lol I mean I couldn't even go out of town for 3 days without them being brown and dying. I'll post a photo of what they looked like last year when I was out of town for 3 days. - 4th pic. It was unusually hot and dry last year, but 3 days!? They weren't sitting in water then, like they are now! lol I have measured the leaves this year, several of them are indeed 20" long, I'll post a pic. - 5th pic. The EE leaves are like 90° to their stalks now, they look terrific. I usually don't fancy myself a braggart, but my Elephant Ears look incredible this year! Did I mention that I LOVE my Elephant Ears! In the second pic is my Elephant Ears 2 days ago and the third pic is my shade garden a few days ago. -
Oh, my big fountain is gonna look great and I owe it all to you guys!
Will

This message was edited Aug 14, 2013 8:45 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Lovely colocasias. I think most aroids have a damp soil requirement as they are indeed tropicals. I don't think caladiums can sit in water too long without rotting. It might be that they can sit in water while they are growing but not dormant. There are some knowlegeable gardeners on the aroid forum who know more than I. If you can keep those bulbs around 60 degrees, I don't think you'll have a problem.

You have done a great job. I'd hire you for landscape or yard cleanup any time. They charge me $30 per hour per person plus a hauling/dump fee. It is expensive to live around here. That's why I try to overwinter some plants.

If you have any time on your hands, you can attend some of the free classes that nurseries often hold. They usually have good info and ideas on plants in your zone.

I think there is a Missouri Botanical Society with a lot of online info as well.

I am sure this birthday will mark the beginning of a good year. I don't like to celebrate my birthday and can't stand to have anyone sing happy birthday to me, but I will always accept gifts. (Long standing hangups.) At this point I am glad to live another year to celebrate. There is a lot of positive energy in that.

We had a heat wave in that started at the end of June an lasted at least three weeks. The plants needed to be watered twice a day. Cyperus is a great water plant. I wish you lived closer. I am always happy to share.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I have some elephant ear sitting in my larger pond right now and main problem is it is growing so fast it will flop over soon. I just cut it back and let it start again. May be due to the fact that it is very hot here but seems like I have left them in the water all winter before. If they get looking scraggly I just put them back in the ground for a while and they come back.

I love the way mulch dresses up a garden also plus keeps weeds down. It has been so hot here I melt after about an hour outside so the weeds can just stay there for a while. I herbicide anywhere I can that is no where near my plants but otherwise they have to come out by hand or hoe and then raked up and put into trash barrell for garbage men.
Happy gardening all,
Bonnie

Thanks for the kind words. I love my Elephant Ears!
I wonder if I can get some Caladium bulbs at Walmart now? Yeah, Connecticut is one of the highest cost-of-living states there is. I believe the filthy rich like Regis Philbin and others from NYC live there across the sound. They work in NYC and make the big money then go to Conn. to live.

I hate to sound negative on my outlook, it'll be better someday I'm sure. I'll look up that Cyperus.
Will

Hi Bonnie, I heard about that big sinkhole there in Clermont!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I had lunch with my brother and his wife today at Olive Garden. His birthday is the 20th, His wife's is the 26th, my DIL is also the 26th and my Granddaughter is the 29th.

So Will, a lot of individuals close to me are born in August. You might as well join the group.

They have discovered that if you have a job you will get hired for another job. But it is very hard to get a job if you are unemployed. So maybe you find a job with out pay. What did you do for a living.

There is a bunch of us on here and we can all brain storm and get you to work.

That elephant ears look fabulous.

Mulch is gold here in the desert. Keeps the weeds down and helps keep the plant roots cool. But it is not free. But my worms love to also be cool.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

lol I have the biglots bridge too!

Awww.. you guys gonna put me to work huh? I have several interests actually that I always thought,
(keyword being thought..lol) would help in getting a job, that was years ago and that line of thinking didn't really work out. But, my interests are, computer stuff, plants and landscaping, fitness, painting,
and diy projects (I consider myself somewhat handy with power tools and such). I know I can only help myself but aren't you nice, Sharon, thanks for thinking of me, I'll dig out of the hole someday.

Yes, that's a few people born in August. A friend of mine is quite entertained with the zodiac, she's always talking about Aquarius and other signs. Sure, I'm in your group, now you know somebody born August 17th, you see, us Leo's stick together!

Thanks, I do like my Elephant Ears.

I bet mulch is gold there. The 1 cubic yard only cost $42.50, which isn't really cheap. It's a good thing that's what I already wanted because a 1/2 yd. is $25, now I am charged with wheelbarrowing it all over the place. I bet those worms like them some mulch! It's so light and airy, my biggest potted plant has been in nothing but pine bark for over 9 years, it's a Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana', I'll upload a photo of it. - Its #2. You'd think that planter weighs a ton but it's incredibly light, maybe 30 lbs. I'm thinking about doing that with other big plants in pots of soil/mud, they are getting heavy and I'm not getting any stronger, probably the opposite! lol
Will

This message was edited Aug 15, 2013 8:15 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

That is one happy looking tree. Is that pot resin? I have quite a few resin pots because they are sturdy, can take the heat and light. I have three cement large pots I purchased when Target closed the garden plant area. Great prices but they cannot be moved.

I have three very large pots that a landscape company got from a golf course and they gave me 3 of them. About 3 feet tall and probably just as wide. I have them on the size of the house, by the pool equipment, trying to grow blueberry bushes. It cost a bloody fortune to put soil in them. I filled the bottom half with mulch. I have been trying to grow them for over 4 years. I think I need to try something different in these pots.

I had a long day today so I will return tomorrow with some Mother Winter's words of wisdom. LOL.

Sharon

Yes, that's a 21" plastic planter from Lowes, I think it was also $21 coincidentally. Cement or concrete planters and landscape stuff is the way to go tho, they have more a look of opulence and wealth, (I have neither btw..lol) You got some words of wisdom Mother Winter?!
This part I copied and pasted, I hope you don't think any less of me but it's also in the Central Midwest forum where I also hang out. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1327994/

"Well, I aim to find out how Virginia Creeper likes sitting in standing water too. I just love Virginia Creeper. I don't care if it's everywhere, I wallow in free plants! Here they are sitting in my big fountain's base, where I have 3 other freebies sitting. In with them, (and mosquito larvae..lol) is several starts of English Ivy, (they've proven to like standing water), Creeping Jenny, (actually the gold kind..aka Gold Moneywort) and Evergreen Wintercreeper. I got them all free, here from the yard or my plants. I would really like to dress up this fountain this year with plants. Kinda make it a plant fountain, (with water), not a running water, (wires and hoses) electric bill fountain - 1st three pics. Here's my concrete succulent/cactus planter featuring my latest addition of E.T.'s Finger's, (honest, that's what it's called). Here's the ac unit landscaping stuff again. Sorry, I just take random photos so hope you like them! 5th pic."
Will

This message was edited Aug 16, 2013 8:38 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Will, I have plastic pots, I have resin pots, I have cement pots and I have fiberglass pots. Some were gifts, some were bargains, some were spur of the moment purchases.

One, I was driving down and street and it was out for the garbage pickup. I stopped and walked over and looked at it. It was a nice pot but something had knocked a dent in one side. Well I could fix that. So I picked it up and put it the back of my SUV. I took it home, pounded out the dent, I think it was fiberglass, repainted and it has been in the landscape for over 5 years. Trash to Treasures.

So, young man, you cannot tell what goes on behind closed doors.

Mother Winter

Just curious, what's the difference between resin and plastic? I'm not trying to be nasty I really don't know, there could be a difference. : ) Haha.. behind closed doors? From what I hear, something might, but then maybe the door is preferred open then as well! lol I don't know about the young man part, today I am 46, that isn't too young! lol I know you have something else Mother Winter, besides this is Summer-time, shouldn't you be "Mother Summer"! I think the heat in Vegas is having an adverse effect on you! lol Turn up the ac, sweetie! I'm only teasing, I hope you have a good sense of humor!

I added a new plant from the yard to the group of freebies already in the watery base of my fountain - Wild Grapevine! I took a photo of it but my camera is outside still as I just came in for a few minutes. I'll have photos this evening after photographing this and that.
So, here's my water freebies. -
1. English Ivy
2. Creeping Jenny
3. Winter Creeper
4. Virginia Creeper
5. Wild Grapevine
I'm thinking about getting one of my Spiderplants to top off the arrangement, maybe set it right on the top! I wonder how IT likes sitting in water?!
Will

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

If your spider plants are like mine they will grow anywhere. Mine have spread all over the place even outside of the bed and outside of the front yard fence. When they start to crowd out special plants I pull them and either throw them away or put them in hanging pots.
Hard to explain difference in plastic and resin pots but there sure is a difference. I used to have 2 plastic pots but I broke them moving them on a dolly. Resin is stronger and a composit of materials I believe. Clay pots are considered better for plant health but if they are large sure hard to move. I have one round one that I can only move in the bucket of my Kubota. If I put it on the dolly it usually rolls off plus lifting it onto it is backbreaking.
Your fountain is looking good. I have a fountain I'm not using right now and I think I'll fill it with dirt and put plants into it. Its away from elec. and I'd need a very small solar pump to fit down inside of it to use it as a fountain again. All thats in it now is water lillies that I can get to grow and I have to wsah tadpoles out of it all the time.
Plants would easier to keep. I can only move base with Kubota but thats OK. My little Kubota was the best garden tool I ever bought. You would be amazed what I have moved and dug out with that little 36" budket. Had to name it Kubi cause my dgt. has one similar and she named in Bota. Husb. big tractor can't get into my garden easily so I really needed it. What a blessing it has turned out to be.

Re: Sinkhole at condos. Thats about 10 miles from me. I'm so thankful all those tourists got out alive. We have lots of sickholes but not many open up thank God. Of course the ones that do open up makes the news media.
I don't think our homeowners ins. covers them anymore but it used to be covered by the state. Hope I never have to find out. As long as we stay safe thats all I care about. Houses and bldgs. can always be built back.
Happy gardening,
Bonnie

Oh, I know what resin is now, it's those expensive, light pots that are thick and made to resemble concrete. I think I do have one back there, I bought it last year, it has a Dwarf Fountain Grass 'Hameln' in it. Mine was only $30 but it's big, and kinda smooth and plain, not one of the nicer ones.
Yeah, those big clay pots are HEAVY! I wouldn't get one, I want to keep a good back as long as possible! I am starting to fill my pots made of anything with mulch, I figure hay will be next, I like light pots! I'll post a photo of a Coral Bells in an old Apple basket that I made today, it's full of mulch..lol

Those sinkholes are nasty, I believe one opened up in Fla. last year and swallowed a part of a house AND a guy that was sleeping in it, it killed him, if I remember the story right. I was telling this friend lady of mine on the Emerald Coast, Kayjones. I think she got tired of me saying the whole state of Fla. will be under water (fact) when the polar ice-caps melt, and not to buy a home there..lol

I believe that sinkhole is down the street from DisneyWorld or something, that can't be good for business.

It sounds like you leave your Spiderplants out all year, Bonnie? I have to bring mine in. On putting it on top of my fountain, I did and it looked like crap. I took it down and put a Mezoo up there and it looked great, the only thing about it is, it's a houseplant. - But, it does look quite spanking! You know, like the spanking button on Seinfeld?! Here's a few different angles so you can see stuff in the background. Haha, the background of other people's pics are as interesting as what the pic is of! lol I just realized that I didn't get a photo of the Wild Grapevine today! Welp, I did take a photo of it I see, and it was definitely in the fountain when I took the pic of the Mezoo up there. What happened I guess, is I put the Wild Grapevine out of sight, on the other side, I'm such a dufus, sorry! : )
Will

This message was edited Aug 17, 2013 10:16 PM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Will, I have a great sense of humor. I grew up after the age of 18, in Las Vegas. I worked for an advertising agency before I made a career of mortgage banking. So I saw Don Rickles probably100 times in lounge shows. So I have a sharp, quite slicing, sense of humor.

Forty-six is young.

Is the plant you have on top a variegated hearts and flowers plant. I purchased two 4" variegated hearts and flowers this spring and they have tripled in size but they are planted outside. I have many house plants in my courtyard. Very protected area and they thrive. I designed our landscape so the majority of all beds are in shade the hottest part of the day.

We also built the house so the majority of the windows are protected from the sun, the roof has a reflective aluminum on it before the tile was laid down and extra insulation. Still last month our power bill was $532. And we keep the house at 80. But that is a cool 80 degrees. We have three separate air conditioning units for different areas of the house. So when no one is in that section, no air conditioning is used.

Kay Jones sent me a Philippine Violet. It is thriving but has not bloomed. She says it blooms late in summer. I have a Queen of Sheba, it is a vine, and it blooms late in the summer.

Last year we got down to 18 degrees. We have that type of freeze about every 5 years. That is why I move many plants into pots and then they can be moved in the garage area for the winter. The garage is insulated so it does not get to cold. it is actually insulated because of the summer heat but helps with the cold also.

I will check in tomorrow. Mother Winter

Oh, that's funny, like people said, "uh, I can't make my mortgage payment but I got 2 tickets to see Rickles!".

Oh, that plant is called Mezoo, 'Livingstone Red' - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/188738/

I can send you some, anybody? It starts real easy. A hearts and Flowers plant huh? Is that a Philodendron? I got I believe 2 hanging baskets of Mezoo, a start in my succulent/cactus concrete planter, now, on top of the big fountain, a couple more that aren't coming to mind. A friend sent me a bunch of cuttings a while back and I put them to good use, it's a cool plant.

46 is young eh? Well, if you say so. Boy, if recognition of birthdays is like yesterday, I'm going to stop talking about mine! I got way more happy birthdays from my friends here than in my family!
My own Mom 6 miles away didn't wish me happy birthday, I haven't done anything unusually bad besides disappoint her and be a bum, I'm still an okay person for gawd's sake! I don't mean to sound all pitiful but gee wiz, it really is just another day!

Ms. Jones sent you something eh? Now I'm jealous, she never gave me anything! She used to live by me here in the Kansas City, Mo. metro area., she's a nice lady, we've corresponded a lot.

It sounds like you have quite a bit of work and resources invested in your house, Sharon.

Yikes! 18° in Vegas, yep, that's a cold snap there, burrrrr! It didn't even get that cold here in the Winter of 2011/2012. It was freakishly mild here then, I believe it got down to 29°. The next Summer was a scorcher, it killed 3 plants in this yard, it was over a 100° for many days that Summer. It is unusually cool here now, (some nights get down to 57° or so) I bet it will get cold starting next month instead of the usual in October.
Will

This message was edited Aug 18, 2013 1:19 PM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Will, I have attached a photo of hearts & flowers.

I have come down with a cold.

I just got back from taking daughter-in-law Heather and grandson to the airport for trip back to their home in Spokane. Their plane was late so my son will be up late picking them up.

Big time rain here. I loved it. Mother Winter

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/43342/
Funny how we know the same plant by different names, in FL we call it ice plant or baby sun rose.

Wow, they sure look like those Heart and Flowers, maybe that's another name for them. In my experience, Mezoo doesn't have that many flowers. It could be that they're happier in that region, I dunno. Hope you get to feeling better, unfortunately a cold could turn into something else like Pneumonia or something, do take care Mother Winter.
Oh, we'd love some rain here!

Hi mittsy, that might be an unvariegated one perhaps. Maybe some members uploaded photos, like mine, of their variegated ones, not sure myself. I like that one too though.

Oh, I was mistaken about what's in my resin planter, it's a Colorado BlueSpruce 'Globosa', pic #1. -

You have the Biglots bridge too eh, elfenqueen? I need to paint the one here or put Thompson's Waterseal on it or something, it is changing colors, that can't be good. It's a cool bridge though, I love it. Has that Spiderplant baby arrived yet? The Dunk hasn't got here yet. I was hoping that baby would get there before the weekend, I hope it isn't too dried out, I got tons more tho if it is.

Today, I went to Walmart and Lowes looking for bulbs of Caladium, no bulbs for sale anywhere.
But, I did come across several small plants that were under $3 apiece so I bought them.
Not entirely sure what they are (2 of them) but I know one is a purple Sweet Potato vine, it's not hardy here but I'll go the extra twenty feet and bring it in, in the Fall. The other 2 is what I'll be researching on the botanical names, they look entirely like a small Caladium, 1 is called 'Butterfly' and the other is called 'Marie'. I believe I got the 2 Caladiums sitting in the water and the Sweet Potato Vine on the dry middle tier so it can trail over the edge, pics 2 & 3. Here is that Dwarf Fountain Grass 'Hameln' that I was talking about, it's not in the resin pot anymore, I swapped pots with the 'Globosa' - pic #4. It started out small, but the hope is it will get quite big and fill that pot out good. My BIL and Sister had one and it got huge.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well, guys, we all have the same plant. I purchased 2 4" pots of variegated mid summer. It has grown like a weed. They get very spindly here in the winter and are usually cut back.

Ice plant here is a different plant. Ice plant has many different vibrant colors of the bloom. I have killed many ice plants.

I have been fighting my cold all day and early this a.m. it settled into my lungs. I am keeping an eye on this cold because I ignored one I got in April and it took me down for over two weeks before I finally gave in and went to the doctor. The doctor said, do not do that again. You are getting to old to fight off these chest infections. Took two Z-Paks to get it under control.

So you all take care and I will be back to harass you tomorrow.

Mother Winter

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Cross post Will. I do not think your pink tinged leafed plant is a caladium. I have that plant planted in a pot in the shaded area of the courtyard. It is growing like a vine. I found it at Lowes inside with the house plants. I need to start writing down their names in case I want to replace them next year.

I have a red grass, firecracker, that I purchased early summer. It has filled up a very large pot. I will take a photo tomorrow if I feel better.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I do believe your "caladium" is an African Evergreen. I have a lot of them and they are similar in coloring. Mine is the variety Mango Allusion. They will grow in plain water, but being a tropical they have to come inside during the winter. They do not have bulbs, just roots.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/132365/

This message was edited Aug 20, 2013 6:53 AM

Athens, PA

Pretty, Mittsy. I have seen these as houseplants.

Sharon - be careful with your cold settling into your lungs. That is how I ended up with pneumonia a number of years ago.

Those 2 new plants that I got for $2.75 each from Walmart are Arrowhead Vines, they have many common names, African Evergreen is one of them but they say that is a bit of a misnomer or something because it's an american plant or something like that.

They are Syngonium podophyllium 'Butterfly' and 'Maria'
Wikipedia -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syngonium
Bing - http://www.bing.com/search?q=syngoniun+podophyllium&go=&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=syngoniun+podophyllium&sc=0-19&sp=-1&sk=&ghc=1

That Red Grass is a nice one. It wouldn't be hardy here but maybe you can have it all year around in LV. - http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Pennisetum-Fireworks
I have 2 Grasses, the Dwarf Fountain Grass 'Hameln' and a 'Karl Foerster' that I bought for a quarter because it was dying, it is now living but it has a long way to go to look like anything.

The Mosquito Dunk from Elfenqueen came today in the mail, I put half of it in the fountain's base.
I would love to get rid of some mosquitos soon! - pic #1. I hope the Spiderplant baby arrived and in okay condition, I owe you another one, you spent twice as much in postage as I did on you, and you went to the post office too.

Here's the label on one of the new Arrowhead Vine plants - pic #2

Here is the overall fountain again, I have the Purple Sweet Potato Vine sitting on the dry middle bowl. - pic #3.

I saw that Mango Illusion in Plantfiles, pretty plant.
Yes, do take care, Sharon.
Will

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I know about colds going bad. I use the Netipot and it works wonders. Sunday I was feeling really bad and tonight I am just about back to normal.

Will, the plant Kay Jones sent me, I paid the postage. I actually overpaid the postage and she sent a bunch back. The plant was a Philippine Violet. It has tripled in size. It is going to spend the winter in the garage.

I have attached a photo of it. I have also attached a photo of my creeping jenny (#1) and my purple lady (#2). I tried to get a photo of my variegated hearts and flowers (#3) and I will post it but it was to sunny. I have also posted photos of my un-blooming plumerias (#5) and my two baby delonix (#4) that were started from seed. The seeds were collected in Mexico by a DG member in Tucson. I numbered them because the DG program posts them different than I do.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

First photo is Purslane. Bloom are open in full sun and close when in the shade. Tropical hibiscus #2 and #4. Hardy Hibiscus #3 and #5.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

First photo is my fire cracker grass (#1). I have also attached a photo (#4) of a plant that looks like a fern but is not a fern. I have no idea what it is. I thought it looked like a fern and it was a 4" pot. It has gotten massive. There are three in the photo. Coleus and more coleus (#2 & #3)

As you may not see, everything in my front landscape are in raised beds. Very large boulders were brought into the area ad buried into the lot. With some of the boulders being more buried than not. I will try and take a photo tomorrow.

I was raised by gardening parents and my mother's garden was a square inch garden.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.