A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Kayjones came to the Central Midwest forum yesterday where I hangout alot and we chatted a bit.
I put my Creeping Jenny in panty hose today, I do that to try to keep some soil in. I use little safety pins if I need to. Generally, the panty hose fits on plant's pots like a glove. Your Purple Lady sure has filled out, Sharon, and is that Purple Lady aka Wandering Jew, Tradescantia Pallida? Anyway, it's very nice!
Mine is big too, I just call it "Purple Wandering Jew". Here's the Creeping Jenny going in panty hose! - It "got hosed"! And then, back in the fountain! - I have I think 3 plants in the fountain hosed now, the Creeping Jenny and the 2 new Arrowhead Vines 'Butterfly' and 'Maria' both got hosed today and back in the fountain. They are in that regular lt. brown colored hose unlike the black hose the Creeping Jenny is in.
I only had 1 Hib kinda similar to the one in your pic #5 but more red but it died last year. It looks like you have better flowering, flowers might like that climate better, I don't seem to get as many flowers, yours are very nice. I like that red Grass too. A "square inch garden" that's funny!
Will

This message was edited Aug 21, 2013 9:30 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here's my Purple Lady or just Purple Wondering Jew as I call it..hehe
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am still fighting my cold.

Will your panty hose idea is a good one. Do you knock down little old ladies to get them?

Why not just put some potting mix, plants and moss on top of the potting mix instead of growing them in water? Just curiosity on my part.

I have been working on my soil and pots for close to 13 years so I have many mistakes behind me and I am sure more to come. One thing I have to do it check the landscape about very 3 days during the summer, sometimes more if the wind is blowing. If an irrigation bubbler gets plugged, the plant does not last long. I use pots because I can create the climate need. And I had the trees trimmed so there are large areas under them with a high canopy. That way it is easy for pots to be hidden, usually behind a big boulder and plenty of muted shade.

I was raised in a little mining town high in the mountains on the Utah/Nevada border. About 80 miles into Nevada. 280 miles North of Las Vegas. Been here since 1960 and it took me close to 30 years to finally get gardening down. But, of course, then we did not have the internet.

So hope all is going good with you. We are suppose to get rain late tomorrow and most of Sunday. I will believe it when I see it.

Talk at your soon....Mother Winter

Haha.. No, I don't knock down little old ladies to get them. lol A friend's mother had been saving them and I found them later and the friend said I can use them. I don't know why she saved them before, she is now deceased. She was a creative, innovative person, she was probably using them as a cover on something as a filter of some sort.

I hate not to have water in this fountain, it was made to have water in it.

I was born and raised in the city I'm in, Independence, Missouri, it says Sugar Creek but Independence is only about 2 blocks away.

Interesting story, you were born in a mining town eh? Yeah, it is really dry here too.
Will

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Actually, I was born in Portland, Oregon. Moved to Pioche, Nevada when I was 4 months old. My dad was in the army but only had sight in one eye so he could not go to battle. So the US had taken over the mines and sent the soldiers there to work the mines until the war was over. This was 1942.

I have to take the puppies for their afternoon walk. I will return later.
Sharon

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Will what you call wondering Jew we call the same. Here it is very prolific and grows like crazy. I used to have a ton but a Rosemary busy took its place. Rosemary grows with no attention at all and smells great. I put a piece of it in all my garbage cans just for the smell.

WLS your plants are lovely. Changed planes in your city a couple of months ago on the way to my sons in Cal. Didn't have time to look around even at the airport but looked like a huge city to me. It sure was hot when we were there. 106 in Gridley Cal. the night of my grandsons graduation. Thought I would melt. They just happened to have heat wave the weekend we got there. I'm in central Fl. and it has been in the high 90's for weeks and I'm ready for some cooler weather.
Happy gardening to all, Bonnie

Hehe.. I know the "o" in Wondering Jew should be an "a" as I've been told but I do it on purpose. Wandering Jew sounds kinda discriminatory and I'm alot of things but a bigot isn't one of them!
I don't think the Jewish populace would like a houseplant that sounds like "Lost Jew"!

Rosemary won't grow outside here, I've tried, but it DOES smell wonderful.
Will

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Where did you go young man. We are finally cooling off into the mid 80s. Beautiful time of year in Las Vegas.

Oh, I'm still here Sharon, I just wasn't aware of the thread, anybody could feel free to jog my memory in dmail of a thread I missed. I'm on DG quite a bit, I contribute and hang out considerably in the Central Midwest forum. I have been a DG subscriber for awhile, I let it lapse around when my Dad died, but I enjoy DG, I'm not letting it lapse very often, it's very enjoyable. "Young man", that's funny, I'm not that young, I'm 46. Oh, it has turned cold alright, about 53° right now cold. I'm going outside in a bit to start my annual migration of non-hardy plants into the garage, it's going down into the upper 30's soon I believe, maybe tomorrow nite. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast Spiderplants, Asparagas Fern and variegated Rubber Trees and whatnot aren't going to like the thirties! Even though this is a cool spell, the temps are going back up for a little while but I'm sure they'll stay low soon. I started a seasonal temp job Wed., so 9 hours a day are now gone.
Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.