Photo by Melody

Water Gardening: A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?, 3 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?

Forum: Water Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?
shortleaf wrote:
Thanks Carolyn! I love my Coleus! Well, I have a birthday in 3 days. I wish I was more excited, but not so much, it's just another day. I'd love to grow older with a job, but as of now, with no job, not so sure!

Well, I got a big load (one cubic yard) of cedar mulch in my trusty, beatup (licensed..lol) trailer today! Oh, I just love putting down mulch, "I think I need a little here, a little over there", oh, there's nothing like mulching, (I'm easily entertained)!

Good idea on the Caladiums, I've been lucky so far, stuff has been okay with sitting in water, but prolly not everything. I am finding it hard to believe so much stuff is fine with sitting right in water. So far the 3 plants I've tried are fine with it apparently, Elephant Ears, English Ivy and Creeping Jenny. Oh, I was a big fan of Caladiums back in the day, (and still am). I was working on getting them used to my shade garden here. I have long since painted that wall white, that was so nasty then, well, painted in Sept. 2011. I believe the Caladiums got too cold in the unheated garage if I remember, they didn't come back. I have since learned to open the vent in there and it stays between 60° and 70° in the Winter. If I remember, a package of Caladium bulbs come in about 6 or 8 per package. But I really liked them, I liked the white ones with the red veins, they were prolly my favorite.
I bet Caladiums are good with sitting in water! They'll rot eh?! We'll just see! : ) They just look too much like Elephant Ears NOT to like sitting in water! I got my Mammoth Elephant Ears sitting in water and they apparently love it! Those bulbs were only called Mammoth Elephant Ears (at Walmart). In the last few years I've always had a problem with not getting them ENUFF water, so now they sit in it! lol I mean I couldn't even go out of town for 3 days without them being brown and dying. I'll post a photo of what they looked like last year when I was out of town for 3 days. - 4th pic. It was unusually hot and dry last year, but 3 days!? They weren't sitting in water then, like they are now! lol I have measured the leaves this year, several of them are indeed 20" long, I'll post a pic. - 5th pic. The EE leaves are like 90° to their stalks now, they look terrific. I usually don't fancy myself a braggart, but my Elephant Ears look incredible this year! Did I mention that I LOVE my Elephant Ears! In the second pic is my Elephant Ears 2 days ago and the third pic is my shade garden a few days ago. -
Oh, my big fountain is gonna look great and I owe it all to you guys!
Will

This message was edited Aug 14, 2013 8:45 PM