A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Can anybody think of one, I am a frugal sort, not to mention that I have very little money. Does English Ivy make a good trailing plant in a birdbath/fountain? I have some of that and I've started it by cuttings pretty regularly.
Thanks, Will p.s. Here is a photo of the fountain, I'm hoping a plant like that at least in the bottom, biggest bowl.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

English ivy should trail nicely. I'm assuming your not going to have water runing through fountain. A trailing plant on top and a few small fish in large one on the bottom would also be beautiful. But of course then you would have to keep water moving through it I think. I've seen tropical fish in some like tht instead of in an aquarium. If your location gets too cold they might not make it through a winter tho.
That is a beautiful fountain and has lots of possibilities.
Good luck with it.
Bonnie

Thanks, I think I'll try English Ivy then, I've become quite a fan of English Ivy lately.
I run a small, cheap "clean water pump" from HarborFreight in it. It's only 190 gph and it only costs $9.99 on sale about 5 years ago and I just started using it recently. It's this one. - http://www.harborfreight.com/200-gph-miniature-submersible-fountain-pump-68372.html It wasn't called a "fountain pump" and the gph was only 190 then, not 200 like it says now, but everything else is about the same. I'm not sure what they mean by "fountain", mine would be a "fountain" application but I don't know if maybe they mean a fountain-like spray in the HarborFreight description. Mine said "clean water only", but I'm going to run it until it stops running! So far it's still going, I have it inside of a window screen enclosure type thing I made to hopefully keep any larger debris out for awhile.

Thanks for the compliment on it, Bonnie, it is a beautiful fountain, I got it when my Dad passed away, those big fountains aren't cheap. Of course, I'd rather have my Dad than his fountain, but all the stuff in my garden was either free or very cheap.

It freezes every Winter here, I'm sure there's not enuff depth for any fish, it sometimes goes down to -5 in the Winter here. Maybe I'll get some feeder goldfish and put them in a bucket in the garage for the Winter, they're only I think $1 for a dozen of them, if you get the small ones, I used to see them when I bought crickets for my lizard.
Will

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Will, glad you have a memory of your dad. Good luck with the plants and good idea for fish.

Bonnie

Decatur, GA

Trailing Jenny might be another good choice. I had some in my water fall and it did beautifully as a water plant.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sweedish ivy is also another good trailer. I have it all along one side of my pond. If ti dies back in your area during winter it will surly come back in the spring.

You may get some more ideas if you go to the vines and climbers forum.

Bonnie

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

if there is water in it sweet potato vine,the chartreuse or purple grow like crazy and trail over the edges,and all you need is cuttings....

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I second the creeping jenny. It is also perennial so you can plant a piece in the ground and put it back in your fountain next spring.

Thanks you guys. The thing about Sweet poitato vine is it isn't hardy. I'd need some of it again in the Spring.
I'm up for some work but I don't know about that much. I may just try the Creeping Jenny, there is some here.
The Swedish Ivy sounds good but it sounds like something I will need to buy. I only have enuff money for a phone call so that rules it out,! :lol I started some English Ivy cuttings and I have them sitting there while they root.
I try to keep a little water in there for now and I rotate the 2 pots. -
Nice pond, Helen, and I like that Trailing Jenny, is that the same as Creeping Jenny?
Thanks Bonnie.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Athens, PA

Will

I have creeping jenny growing around my pond and in my bog. It comes back every year and in the spring we are teated to bright yellow flowers. It may be worth looking into.

Decatur, GA

YEs, trailing jenny is probably the same as creeping jenny.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Some of the mints will also trail. You can snip what you need for the kitchen.

Decatur, GA

Mints are vigorous but I never thought of putting them in the pond! Must try!.

Thanks, I think I'll try that Creeping Jenny. We have some out in the yard, we tried to get it to spread like a groundcover out there. It never did spread, (there is no grass because of full shade out there). We've tried grass seedIt's slowly disappearing, before it does, I'll get some for the big fountain. The mints I've had aren't hardy though. I'd like something that'll winter outside okay.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I don't know what people would do without input from others. I don't now about anybody else, but I don't know everything.
The simplest of things can go undiscovered to somebody until somebody else says something. I sure do appreciate what everybody has to suggest.
Will

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Will, I grow baby tears in my complete shade. I also grow it in the lining of my baskets. It eventually covers the whole bottom of my moss baskets. It does freeze in the winter and go brown but it comes back. Last year we got down to 18 degrees. In the courtyard it did not brown but in the open it did. It spreads nicely and I think also re-seeds itself. It appeared in my landscape about 9 years ago. Came in with another plant probably. Now I just dig up a shovel full and cut it into small pieces and plant or stuff it where I want it. I have seen it at the nurseries in flats.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I tried to find a photo of mine but I pulled this off the internet. It says it is hard to grow. Here in the dry, but irrigated Las Vegas, it either grows like a weed or does not grow at all. It does not like our full sun but what would. I do hsve it growing in filtered sun.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

I read a little about that Baby Tears, it sounds like a neat plant. But I bet it isn't hardy here, it snows here pretty regularly in the Winter. If you find that photo of yours we'd love to see it. LV is quite alot different than here. People from here go to Las Vegas in the Winter..lol Thanks, I do wish it was more suitable for it here.
Thanks again, Will

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Any plant you use in water may have to be placed back into the ground for winter---- this should be no problem if it is in a pot... just dig a little hole and sink pot and all till spring. Or place it in a storage place such as garage..also, you might consider a house plant...indoors for winter out for summer, I do this with many plants, tropical water lily, lemon tree ... Persian shields do well in a pond but not so sure about moving water and they don't trail. AH! with no other plants in it you can do a wandering jew / moses in the boat.... bring it in for winter. Beautiful and loved the water.

Best of luck... your fountain is wonderful!

Thanks elfenqueen. A fan of Lord Of The Rings are we? Let me guess you like the guy with long white hair?! Thanks, that fountain really is so wonderful. I should put some more work into it and make it a centerpiece of something. The base one is so heavy it takes 2 people to move it, not just any 2 people! 2 people that don't mind possibly hurting themselves, so that's me and one other bold sort! I finally got it moved to a better spot in May so now I need to concentrate on making it purdy for passers-by. I have noticed people look back here, (it's in the backyard), I just need to focus on stuff filling out, (plants, about 100 in sight for passers-by). It's ironic that you say put stuff in the ground. What's ironic about it is that my roommate, (the homeowner), she finally pulled rank on me about my waterpond, ("it's a hole-in-the-ground-that-breeds-mosquitos"). Last October she and a co-worker filled it all the way in with a pile of dyed black mulch, (later, it had occurred to me how bad black mulch is) that I had sitting around. Anyway, now no waterpond, but I have an excellent little area now to bury pots of plants that might be marginal and/or I really don't wan't to lose them over the Winter due to any cold spells on a potted plant. Even though it's like walking on a sponge there, it is easier than ever to bury potted plants in this spot.
Thanks for the compliment on the fountain, I just love it and I am glad to have it.
My Dad was into concrete statuaries and my other siblings and other family also has some but mine is by far the biggest and best. I am glad that my stepmom asked me to come and get it. I'll post a photo of it back in the day outside his living room window (yes, that's a mobile home) and it 2 days ago in the backyard here. Anywho, I'd really like those English Ivy cuttings that I started there to look presentable in that fountain eventually. So far, they seem to be okay with things, maybe they'll bush out and do me proud there yet! I've been rotating those 2 little square pots so one of them is always sitting in water. I'm hoping to get them acclimated to water good enuff, because someday I would like to have them sitting in it real good, (mostly submerged). I can't have them both sitting in it on the different tiers because the middle tier drains down to the bottom tier and I can't fill them both up yet because of the mosquitos, they will breed in it. My friend here will topple anything that she says holds water and will breed mosquitos. I don't think she can topple that fountain by herself, but she can gouge my eyeballs out when I'm asleep I'm pretty sure! I'm just being stupid, all I'm saying is I want to keep her happy or I'll find myself sleeping in the woods! lol That's quite encouraging though, elfenq, I may just find something (or somethings) that aren't hardy here but very pretty and do the "Spring move out-Fall move in thing".
Thanks again all, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

In the winter you can put Thanksgiving and Holiday decorations in it.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Will,
You need mosquito dunks..... I throw them in everything wet, ponds, tires, fountains etc.... kills those larva flat- gone and no room mate stress. With everything I've got going on I still only use a partial package in one year. pm me your addy and I'll send you one to try... I doubt you'd need a 1/4 dunk for your fountain at a time....last about a month a dose. Unless you empty it or heavy rains wash it out - then you have to treat again.... doesn't hurt birds. If you'd like to try it.... I'll help.

Ok, it's a deal!

That's a good idea, Sharon! It's shaped like a Christmas tree. I may drape garland and presents over and in it, I forgot to say that, it really is a good idea. I am just the type to do that too, it's not really nuts, it's kinda cool!
Thanks, Will

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

mosquitoes can't breed in moving water, they have to have calm still water.
You can also add a little bit of bleach to a fountain if there are no fish in the water.

At first, I was using my little 190 gph HarborFreight pump for that very reason, to keep the mosquitos away. I don't think it was enuff movement actually, it still had mosquito larvae in it, that pump didn't move much water. I was trying to keep the costs down with a small pump but it didn't help there. Now, I don't want a pump because I'm trying to avoid the look of wires and hoses. And besides, my friend here might flip out because of the electricity it uses. It is a clean water pump but I was using it in the pond anyway, it always worked fine. I'll use it again someday, I want a pond, but this isn't my yard and the homeowner don't want a pond..lol

See? I once had a beautiful little waterpond! - Here it was a couple of years ago and here the spot is now, (2nd pic). That Lilac in the front of it is quite a bit bigger, it's still in the same pot but it is bigger. - In the 3rd photo is the Lilac today in that pot, there's what's left of that Japanese Water Iris from the first photo, (it now has it's own, brown, pot as it's pond was taken..lol) The Hardy Water Lilies from the first photo didn't make it. You can't tell it's a Persimmon tree there, but it has grown considerably even from then, just look at the trunk!
In that first photo you can see the clothes-line pole real good and a Hall's Honeysuckle was there but it was quite small. Today, you can hardly see the pole, the Honeysuckle vine has grown ALOT, (in the 2nd pic)! In the third pic you can see the English Ivy in the fountain real good, (I am counting on them)! In this real short Youtube videoclip, (no talking and only 37 seconds) I made a while back you can see and hear it more. -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfFOvOo5_c8
My cheap little Harborfreight pump was making that trickle sound!
Oh, and here is that 'President' Cannas, actually, it's now "Cannas" they have multiplied a great deal! - Last pic (the big, red plastic pot)
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I see a little humpback bridge in one pic. I love them and would like a 12 foot one across my larger pond. When finances permit maybe my husb. will cut the cross pieces and I can screw deck pcs. in place.
You definitely have a flare for gardening and I hope someday you have a yard of your own which I'm sure you would make extremely attractive.
Gardening is good for the soul.
Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie. Yeah, that bridge is very small. One good thing about that is it's easy to lift and move around by yourself! That little bridge will hold people's weight easy, like walking over it. If you already have a little one just copy it's construction to a bigger one and it'll hold several people's weight at one time likely. I like that one small so trolls and billy goats can't get under it! lol That bridge is tied to that tree because when there's a heavy rain it'll carry stuff away back there. There is a small creek-like drainage thing in the yard, in 1998 for ex. a neighbor's 500 lb. bridge washed into this yard. Actually, that is still here in the same place because those neighbors didn't get along then and the lady here wouldn't give it back. That bridge isn't even decorative, it was just made to cross this drainage ditch. It's got a concrete and metal frame with untreated 2 x 6's screwed to the top, it's hideous looking now. It'll take a pack mule and a team of people to move it.
Apparently, Biglot's doesn't sell that one anymore, it was I think $59.99 10 or so years ago, I tried to find it there before I searched the web. Doctors Foster and Smith have one similar but I can't believe the price on it, $720! I don't know what the doctors are on but it isn't good prices on bridges! - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10847&cmpid=11csesh&ref=3554&subref=AA&CA_6C15C=525477430

http://www.shopping.com/decorative-bridges-4-foot-big-lots/products?sb=1
With this selection (and prices), I think I'd make my own too. If I can help just let me know, I can give you the dimensions on it perhaps. Maybe it could be scaled up, we just love that bridge!
Will

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes I saw the bridges on drs. foster & smith. Think we can beat their prices. Hub. and I have remodeled 4 homes so a bridge should be a snap. He told me to get him 2 -2X12 -12 feet long. All I need is a curvature cut out and then deck boards. Also, a hand rail would look nice. I'm dreaming again but it's possible. Only Problem would be getting 2 X's in position. If my little Kubota could lift them its ok. His large tractor can't get into garden anymore. My flower beds take up too much space. Where theres a will theres a way I always say. For a guy that welded all his life he is a pretty good carpenter. Built kitchen cabinets in 3 homes and 1 for our dgt. new home. He just won't build anything for anyone else. Thinks he's not good enough. Believe me he does a great finished job, plus lazy susans, slide out shelves, dbl. doors in corners for easy reaching by short me.
Have to wait for cooler weather but Will you now have me inspired again.
Thanks. Bonnie

Hope you get the bridge your after. I know the little bridge here has brought me alot of satisfaction, oddly enuff. It is nice to want and be able to do anything diy.
It's always best to do something yourself, for example, you can use screws instead of thin staples. Just little things like that can make a big difference in how long it'll last for one! I got heavy lifting down to a science! I still have a good back and I'd like to keep a good back! If it's too heavy I'm putting it down, I know my limit..lol! I have many things to haul heavy stuff. I have a cart with pneumatic tires that holds about 1,000 lbs. I have a 2 wheeler, (or dolly, same thing), mover's dollies - http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-movers-dolly-38970.html Over a garage floor or the driveway these can't be beat! I have (3) 800 lb capacity ones, they are only $7.99 on sale, I last used one to get rid of an old railroad tie that was here, it went to the curb on bulky item pickup trash day, that mover was invaluable for that. - It's smaller than the one I linked to, I don't see the smaller one, but they sell it, it's usually $9.99. Oh, and my trusty wheelbarrow, I use it often. Yeah, I wouldn't build anything for anyone else either, most of the time it's not appreciated and you always use your own money to buy the stuff you need, I can relate to your husband.
Welding is a good skill to have, if somebody can weld good they can do anything good.
Will

This message was edited Aug 4, 2013 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I so agree. My neighbor called me a few weeks ago and said her husband was out of town and her daughter was having a summer party because she was home from college. She needed me to come over and show her daughter how to clean the back patio and landscape.

Her daughter is a sophomore at Texas Christian university. "Chocolate covered hook". It was about 108 degree outside and I have helped them many times but it was my idea. They think nothing of spending over $100 on a bottle of wine. Quick thinking on my part. I told her, "she is a sophomore at TCU and I am sure she can Google "How to clean back landscape" and figure it out." I would usually start showing them how to do something and then take over and do the whole job. Now, I am 71 years old, more tired, and smarter. They do not even watch and learn anything. I was o proud of myself. Avoided that Chocolate covered hook. Just another word of wisdom for you Will from Mother Winter.... But I think you have already figured these type of people out. Mother Winter.....

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Good one!

Athens, PA

Sharon

Unfortunately there seem to be many people like that. My favorite is when someone asks for help and then complains about how I am doing the task. That is when I drop the task like a hot potato!

My yard could use some cleaning up - but unfortunately with a broken foot it will have to wait. At least I can sit pond side and enjoy my fish!

Haha! Yeah, I try to avoid the chocolate covered hooks! That's one reason that I don't drive a pickup anymore, I was always helping somebody move or move something, at my expense in it.

Yeah, you can Google, (or Bing) anything. I Binged what to do for blisters on my toes, not long ago, a cat was investigating, (kinda gross and smelly, sorry). That's pretty funny, to Google, "how to clean a patio"! I Ask or Dogpile, (lesser known search engines) the really stupid questions so they don't come up for people here when they search something in Google.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, Sharon, (Mother Winter). I am 46 and I have been learning in the last few years different things..lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

OK Will now you have to learn how NOT to get blisters on your feet.
They can get infected so take care of yourself.
From Gr. Grandma Bonnie.

Thanks Grandma Bonnie! Although, you don't sound like a Grandma!
You better be good or I'll have your husband weld your eyelids open!

But, on my feet blistering, it was just a case of breaking in new steel-toed boots and standing on your feet all day (12 hours) at a new job. Actually, that job didn't work out, on my 4th day an elderly man says, "if you can't do this job right your *** will be out the door"! I didn't even know who he was! They warned us in orientation about bitter long-timers there. I think some of the long-timers were looking at the temps like scabs, actually they were laying off the higher paying employees who been there forever. With overtime this elderly man could have been making around 100k a year, not bad for an army plant! Anyway, my boots are still new and I don't wear them because I left at lunch that day. It was just a little more than minimum wage then and I've already had better temp jobs since then, at that temp. co.
Will

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 4:35 PM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Will you are younger than my youngest. My Baby Boy turned 50 today.

I did some gardening today in increments. 106 degrees makes it impossible to be out side for more than 30 minutes. One time I was working in the shade and lost track of time. I was out there over an hour. I came into the house, got myself a good cold drink and I am chilling for a while.

You don't sound that age either. Hey at least you have kids, I have none!

Eeek Sharon! That is kinda hot! Last year it got to 106° one day. But, there was several days over a hundred degrees. It was unusually hot and dry last year, 3 trees or plants died here in this yard last year, in other yards there was dead plants everywhere. Right now, it is only getting up to 80 to 85, not bad.

I just noticed the "Gr" in Bonnie's post, sorry, I was a little slow on the uptake on that! lol! She definitely don't sound like a great Grandma!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Will,
I have 4 children, grown and married, 14 grands and 13 great grands.
Just wish more of them lived closer. My youngest son just turned 50 and he and his son love fish and ponds like me. When I clean the ponds they insist on helping and really know how to handle the fish properly to avoid damaging them.
If you check back in water gardens where it says new pond you will see 3 of them helping me dig new larger pond. They were such a huge help. I am planing on giving that son 5 acres of our land to build a new house on and he is so excited about having room for largers ponds.
I just hope he can sell his house for enough to afford bldg. Economy is in the dumps here just like everywhere else. Son in Cal. has 2 houses and can't sell either for enough to clearn mortgages or he said he would move back here. He is retired Air Force but has good job on Beal AR base not too far from his home. Would love to have him and fam. come back here too.

I'm like Sharon, work a while and dunk in pool a while and then back to work. I'm sure she is hotter than it is here in Fl. but it sure is hot. We changed planes in Vegas in June when we went to Cal. to see son and it was sure warm then. One day it was 106. Wouldn't you know they had a heat wave the weekend we arrived. I hope that unusual for them.
I'm originally from Conn. and they are having it hot too. Crazy weather. I am keeping my plants well watered.
Hope your ivy in fountain is doing good. I have it all over the place it spreads itself.
Happy gardening. Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Will look at new pond in progress thread. I think this will be the last pond I ever dig as we are running our of space and electric out front.
My house is about 80 years old so electric is stretched pretty far since we bought it 43 yrs. ago.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.