Photo by Melody

Water Gardening: A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?

Forum: Water Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of A trailing hardy plant in a big 3 tiered fountain?
shortleaf wrote:
Thanks elfenqueen. A fan of Lord Of The Rings are we? Let me guess you like the guy with long white hair?! Thanks, that fountain really is so wonderful. I should put some more work into it and make it a centerpiece of something. The base one is so heavy it takes 2 people to move it, not just any 2 people! 2 people that don't mind possibly hurting themselves, so that's me and one other bold sort! I finally got it moved to a better spot in May so now I need to concentrate on making it purdy for passers-by. I have noticed people look back here, (it's in the backyard), I just need to focus on stuff filling out, (plants, about 100 in sight for passers-by). It's ironic that you say put stuff in the ground. What's ironic about it is that my roommate, (the homeowner), she finally pulled rank on me about my waterpond, ("it's a hole-in-the-ground-that-breeds-mosquitos"). Last October she and a co-worker filled it all the way in with a pile of dyed black mulch, (later, it had occurred to me how bad black mulch is) that I had sitting around. Anyway, now no waterpond, but I have an excellent little area now to bury pots of plants that might be marginal and/or I really don't wan't to lose them over the Winter due to any cold spells on a potted plant. Even though it's like walking on a sponge there, it is easier than ever to bury potted plants in this spot.
Thanks for the compliment on the fountain, I just love it and I am glad to have it.
My Dad was into concrete statuaries and my other siblings and other family also has some but mine is by far the biggest and best. I am glad that my stepmom asked me to come and get it. I'll post a photo of it back in the day outside his living room window (yes, that's a mobile home) and it 2 days ago in the backyard here. Anywho, I'd really like those English Ivy cuttings that I started there to look presentable in that fountain eventually. So far, they seem to be okay with things, maybe they'll bush out and do me proud there yet! I've been rotating those 2 little square pots so one of them is always sitting in water. I'm hoping to get them acclimated to water good enuff, because someday I would like to have them sitting in it real good, (mostly submerged). I can't have them both sitting in it on the different tiers because the middle tier drains down to the bottom tier and I can't fill them both up yet because of the mosquitos, they will breed in it. My friend here will topple anything that she says holds water and will breed mosquitos. I don't think she can topple that fountain by herself, but she can gouge my eyeballs out when I'm asleep I'm pretty sure! I'm just being stupid, all I'm saying is I want to keep her happy or I'll find myself sleeping in the woods! lol That's quite encouraging though, elfenq, I may just find something (or somethings) that aren't hardy here but very pretty and do the "Spring move out-Fall move in thing".
Thanks again all, Will