Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

n leaves if there ARE any leaves! And Christmas for you early power shoppers!

I thought there'd already be a Sept. thread going when I returned, but I am glad to do the honors of starting one.

We came from here. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273751/

Well, I am back from the raft trip on the Niangua River in Lebanon, Mo. It was a little cool and overcast to start the day but about halfway thru the float trip on the river the sun came out and it warmed up to around the low 90's Sunday afternoon.
I'm glad we got the rain, boy was it ever welcome! They said it couldn't have been better for the river and the canoeists and stuff. They said the steady rain over a day or so was much better than alot all at once because it had time to soak in the ground, and of course it was good for the river's water level, which was still low but not that bad usually, we never stopped from scraping the bottom, spring-fed rivers aren't affected real bad usually. Rafts are better than canoes on that anyway though, they never get stuck long.
We were back to Bennett Spring State Park, that is the source for the Niangua River is Bennett Spring. That place is popular. In June, when my friend and me were there, we stayed at the actual Bennett Spring State Park, this time we stayed at a private motel down the street that caters to rafters and fisher-people, vacationers etc. that are going to the park during the day or when-ever. I wouldn't recommend this private motel resort thing where we stayed this time, I think they house alot of drinkers and partiers more, it's not really a family-oriented place. I'd recommend getting a cabin at the actual park grounds, they are comparable on price and you have all the attractions right there.

In this first photo of Bennett Spring, you can see the blue area in the photo, that's the deep part of the actual spring. As you can see, the trout fisher-people like to do some fishing! Here is my niece throwing some fish food to the trout in the hatchery, all those dark spots are all the fish, there are thousands in there! Some people call it Bennett Springs but there is only 1 spring, it's Bennett Spring I say! There is a little park museum there, the park does have an interesting history, reading about the Bennetts from years ago and stuff. There is some other fun facts there, like there is different classes of springs in Missouri, and that there is 14,000 some springs in Missouri. Only ten of which are big like Bennett Spring, it's one of the biggest ones but quite a bit smaller than the biggest one in Missouri, which is also popular, ironicly enuff it's called Big Spring.

Another growing season has passed for my little cheap plants to one day be big and look like I paid big bucks for them, when actually, they started out quite small and they set me back about a dollar or so usually!
Boy, this thing about getting "babies" off of my big SpiderPlant has turned out very nice indeed! Does anybody want one? I can send one for the price of a stamp and I got the stamp covered. This is a good time to do plant material thru the mail, not too stifling hot and not too cold. I looked at my big plant today, it is nice and some big, nice babies are on it. - Pepper, Juhur, do you want one, anybody?!
This one was given to me last year and has it ever grown! This was right after I potted up the big SpiderPlant here, it was originally in a hanging basket. -
Will

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 11:30 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

well it's late or early and somebody always has to be up and about, sounds like a fun vacation, I will sit and cry cause I wasn't the one who got to see and feed the fish.Yum trout entree!
We want to see Missouri again sometime even it is suppose to be the show me state.lol
Loving the rain and man is it hot and humid tonight woo weee!!! 90 for Wednesday with humidity beyond!!
Oh well the price for the rain I guess!
I shall ask mom and sis about the spider plant, off and on they have gone through a few moving here and there, then giving them all away.
Well every season brings new adventures, makes you wonder what is being "fate" planned for the next one,lol
I for one would rather believe in sinister manipulation than fate ,but that is just me!lol
Hibiscus and some seedlings as they look today^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Thanks juhur! Yes, it WAS fun! Oh, cooked Trout with lemon juice sprinkled on it is the best!

Boy, I hope the fate doesn't mean droughts every steenking year! lol

Yes, this is the Show-Me state, the state parks do indeed show! - http://mostateparks.com/

Yeah, there isn't enuff good things to say about this rain, boy is it ever nice. Even now, it is thundering and raining out off and on.

Nice Hibiscus and seedlings there juhur. I looked at my 'Luna Red' Hibiscus tonite, it is done for the year I'm afraid, there aren't even any leaves on it. I can tell it's alive because the stems are green, but I'm pretty sure it has folded up for the year, I think it has had enuff heat, (I watered it all Summer) so show's over!

Sure, if I can interest them in one or some SpiderPlant babies just let me know. If you have even one empty hanging plastic planter, this is it, it'll be a big plant in 6 months and then the plastic planter will be too small!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I can't keep spider plants alive for nothing. I have a meezo plant now that I am hoping will stay alive when I bring it in for the winter. It is huge now!!

Glad Issac arrived in time for the trip!!

Thanks pepper, I too am glad Isaac arrived in time for the trip, rain affects those rivers more than I thought.

Happ, that Blackberry Bush that I tried to start for you has finally decided to turn brown, it appears to be lifeless, I'll try to do something on a Blackberry start that is guaranteed to work. I got a photo of it, it
doesn't look well. -

My Golden Pothos is coming along I noticed today, from a cutting I got from a friend on Youtube. -

I put some black plastic landscape edging around my little shade garden because the mulch was getting out pretty good before. I used up all 9 kitty litter jugs full of my big rocks, lining around it with them, when I was done with the edging. -

I need more rocks! When you get started with them you can't stop too soon because stuff looks silly if you don't have enuff of them. I have several more places to put big rocks.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Your so right about the rocks! Reminds of today I went to move a couple of lily bulbs(turned out to be that five minute ,hour and half thing) and found another that weighs 35 or 40 pounds. Only it does take more than you would usually think it would to make any decoration look the way it should.

The Blackberry thorns remind me of times and raspberry canes, aren't those thorns some fun?!lol Although they would have a way to go to catch up with cacti thorns.

Cuttings (yours and mine) are all looking pretty good ,going slow and normal as always,I put a willow tree sprig in with some of them to see if it would help with rooting and sure enough the willow sprigs have rooted first thing.
The main stem or root canes on berry canes die back and new ones rise from shoots to the side,is that what Blackberry canes also do.If it is might that cane in the pot need a little more room to "runner"?
I am really glad you got some more water in river for your outing,that is a good thing for all and everyone also. It rained some more here today, still to too humid!
IS there soil under that bed in pic three or is that built with the concrete underneath ?

Glad to hear the Forsythia cuttings from me are doing good, juhur. Unfortunately, I looked at the English Ivy cuttings you gave me tonite, they still aren't showing any signs of life yet. - I think they are just difficult to get started as cuttings. I have 1 smallish English Ivy here and I cut off 4 cuttings from it and it appears only 1 took root.

I need to get the biggest rocks that I can manage without blowing something out! It is tempting to get smaller rocks because they are easier to carry but they really aren't ideal, they let weeds thru and mulch out,
and when it rains hard they can even get washed away.

Yeah, those Blackberry thorns are alot of fun especially when they stick you! I just try to be careful and wear gloves if I have to. I'm not about bleeding anymore, when I was a kid maybe it was cool to bleed but now it just hurts! Now cactus, I only want to deal with maybe once every 3 or 4 years, I'm not about spending an hour with tweezers (and a lighted magnifying glass..lol) picking out nearly invisible tiny needles!

Glad to have the rain for that float trip, I never was happier in all my life to get rain for everything around here!

There is several wheelbarrow loads of clayey yard soil in that shade garden spot, I wish it was better dirt available here. There isn't any concrete there, it was previously just a nasty looking rectangle of weeds and little concrete and gravel bits, it looked terrible before.

Maybe I can try Blackberry cuttings in a bigger pot, thanks.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Man I would of thought for sure that last root and vine I sent you would grow!!! That was several inches of root with a plant runner, I will be wondering what ever happened there? (wrong season maybe?)
There aren't any roots on the forsythia but the stems aren't breaking down or anything either, just holding steady for a while like they usually have done (we, us, and I have rooted forsythia cuttings before).
As for carrying any big ol rocks ,yeah giving ones self a pulled back or hernia ain't much fun,As a matter of fact it is down right painful!! I have done that bit with the tweezers and light before myself, gets old right quick after the first couple of times if not as soon as it ever happened.
I am still working my way back to a wheelbarrow wheel, the one I have needs replaced, I miss that wheelbarrow! It works harder and more effective than me and I like that!

Stuff happens, starts don't always start I found out. It may have not made the heat in the mail and just got too dry. I'm not giving up on it yet, it gets water and sunshine with the others.
My Wandering Jew cuttings are like that, they just sit there for a long time, they don't really dry up and get all brown and crispy but they can take like 2 months to be noticeably independently growing.
Now, how about that SpiderPlant baby(s)?!

Boy, my schooling has taken a rather awkward turn. My original very good instructor got a better teaching job offer elsewhere and left pretty much mid-way thru the course I'm taking. Today was the new guy's first day and he teaches things considerably different. For example, he is not pro textbook, that's unfortunate, because the textbooks were designed to give us the information to pass the exams coming up, in less than a month.

Several years ago I bought a solid wheelbarrow wheel for $25, that's alot to pay for a wheelbarrow wheel, but is it ever nice to grab it and go when-ever still. I'm not about doing the macho-man thing and blowing my stuff out lifting on stuff. I agree, a good wheelbarrow is priceless, I couldn't have done the landscaping I have done without it.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have had about every seedling I have started doing "change up things" this year. So it is many plants just set for a while building their reserves their energy and such.

Seem education has always been like that though., from the time anyone started school all the many years ago there has always been the teacher that grades easy the one that grades hard and the one whose class that no one ever seemed to pass(or barely)Substitutes with new ways that would throw you off,with difference of everything,and like has occurred now with you some like the book others say that cannot be.Unless you have a great deal of flexibility it can and does require some imagination in reality to stay up with the lessons.
So you study the textbook anyway and study what teacher is saying, keep some flexibility about reality and all should work out well.Are they trying to get you to create, is that this new teacher part of the lesson?(without the book) Some of you with enough experience they are trying to get you to be more creative ,perhaps.? Lessons of study just wouldn't be lessons unless they were conspiring to a point.lol We will get back to you shortly about the plant and wheelbarrow.Till then,and study well.

Indeed, somebody has had some coffee! I probably shouldn't get too scathing on the new teacher. But, it isn't a graded class, he professes to teach "hands-on", which is fine, but there's only 2 weeks left to learn all this "hands on". The instruction is supposed to all be geared toward the students (me) getting the instruction necessary to pass the exam coming up soon to help us find decent employment. Yeah, we'll likely need to study the textbook pretty intensely now, it could be worse I suppose, altho that's not really what people signed up for, if I wanted a book I could've bought it at Barnes and Noble or got it at the library..lol

Here is my Moss Rose blooming good today, it is a pot of yellow flowers! - That shadow of my hand looks funny because I was wearing a leather glove, I was pulling on my trailer, I got some mulch today, my hand is normal proportions actually! Here is my one cutting of English Ivy that has taken off. -
This is my big English Ivy plant that is doing very well, good enuff to provide me with a few cuttings to experiment on. - I need to get all those leaves out of there, they look like poo! That's my fake flower hummingbird feeder with the red flower, it's plastic, I filled it up with sugar water again today. This is one of the 2 SpiderPlant babies that I cut off and potted up July 16th this year. - This is the big SpiderPlant that the babies came from. -

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 6:44 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice pot of moss rose! that is a cute little pot plant. I am glad you got some of the ivy to start, next year it will be carrying you away if you fall asleep any where near where it is growing!lol
A rather distant relative passed away a few months ago and we inherited the house plants so our space indoors is all in use, so we will have to pass on the spider plant for now.That is a nice looking pot of spider plant,I wish all my plants looked that good.
I was pulling and yanking the ivy up the other day here roots all along the stems and more still that I will have to control later.To give you an idea a two foot pile and you can't tell anything had happened ,the ivy still looks the same.
I will be back when I can pic the rock garden and a few things,progress gets slow about such, when it comes to me.
Looks like your gardenology is going well,right down to the hummingbirds visiting to evaluate.

Thanks, it is folded up for the nite. - I got some photos a short while ago. Here is a SpiderPlant that I potted up as a baby in February I think. -
Ok on the SpiderPlant, I know what you mean about space. If you ever want one, I have plenty! Eeek! I hope that Ivy does well, I really like it, it's evergreen and everything!
Yeah, the gardenology is getting there slowly! Here is a succulent planter dish I made, I added some rocks you see! -
Here is my 12 foot Sunflower but it'll have to be 12 foot next year because this year I planted it too late, it made it to about 2 feet! - Hopefully, I can get to the seeds before the birds do.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Earlier when we talking about sunflowers ,And still mine never made it past sprouts this year! As for now I think we agree "Rocks are really Cool" in the garden. Something always delightful about them,I'm not sure what? only they are!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh! yeah, you made the dish,you mean like on a pottery wheel and the kiln oven and all?

Haha! No, I didn't make the dish itself, I just added the contents. I think that dish is a big punch bowl or something. It was about to be donated or thrown away about a month ago and I thought of a use for it, a succulent planter!

Here is my big school-bus yellow rubber wheelbarrow wheel! It isn't all rigid and harsh when going over bumps, it's harsher than an air wheel, but not bad at all. Oh, and they didn't have a selection in colors..lol
But, actually the color doesn't bother me, that wheelbarrow is a huge one-person-job helper.

Maybe this metal Christmas popcorn can will remind you of Christmas, it is a SpiderPlant baby also, I cut it and potted it up in July this year. The offer still stands, anybody want one?!

I made this Youtube video to show my cool Golden Pothos cuttings that are doing real well already, I just got the Pothos cuttings from a friend about 2 weeks ago in the mail.
Here is the link if anybody wants to see it. -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGWc-zCZ8gE&list=UUncIC3pLv0W-KhBjmMVkG6Q&index=1&feature=plcp

Boy, all this rain lately is real nice!
It's not so nice seeing all the brown plants of mine that succumbed from the heat I suspect, but I'm not complaining now!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'm not complaining now either!! LOL. My only complaint is today's rain didn't last long enough.

Oh, the rain has been glorious! My rain-barrel is full and everything!

My grass is green and needs mowing again. First time since July 3rd it will have been mowed,

I haven't mowed since May, when the blade bent. I've replaced the blade, but then it wouldn't start! That was almost when it stopped raining, so it didn't get too tall before all the grass died. I might have to mow yet, dangit!
Here is my bent blade back in the day..lol - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9120485
This has been nice for people like me that don't really like push-mowing! I'd easily rather have the rain though!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have mowed three or four times and should now also,it will be later in the week though. I was planting some of the started seedlings today and collecting some annual seeds for next year.
It is still not done yet ,here is the rock garden in villa style almost, except for the lava rock and some coloring to the made brick.
Yeah I don't see straight either!lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

And more rocks! I got these yesterday, I filled up my little trailer. I disconnected my trailer from my car, I don't want to drive around with a trailer full of rocks and a "no Soliciting" sign on the back!

Nice rock garden there, juhur! Glad I'm not the only one who likes rocks! Rocks are so cool! I hope the next homeowner here feels the same way! lol

On that rock trip, I had to stop and get photos of this field on I-35 (near Edgerton, KS.) that was a sea of Black-Eyed Susans. It is ironic, that same site was a junkyard a year ago, I think a dumpster is in a photo from where they were filling it up with trash. It's also ironic and a little morbid I guess that there's also a billboard there that says $895 cremation! It's kinda like beauty comes from death or pushing up daisies, in that vein, maybe it's just me, but anyway a very awe inspiring scene. Maybe Kansas should be called the Black-Eyed Susan state, not the Sunflower state, maybe they mixed the 2 up way back when, maybe they were talking about Black-Eyed Susans, they are everywhere in KS. I made a short video-clip of it on my camera if anyone wishes to see it. You have to turn the volume up because of the cars whizzing by, that is, if you want to hear my commentary and narration, if not, keep the volume down if you don't like the race-car sound. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rL4TtDwKmQ&feature=youtu.be I couldn't make the video too long, lest I got ran over by zooming cars, I was literally close to them.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54°/87°/58°
Sunny to partly cloudy. Warm. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

It has been non-stop busy for the last couple of months. I've been sleeping in a bit in the mornings, LOL! I am out at DD's a lot, spending the night when her DH is out on a semi run.

We took the Grandsons to Maquokata Caves Saturday and had a good time! The bats have been infected with a White Nose Fungus. It makes them itch, which wakes them up in the winter. They either starve or freeze, trying to find bugs to eat. We had to listen to a small talk from a DNR person and got to pet a long dead bat :o) Then we had to step on a mat soaked with something before we entered and left the park. There is none in Illinois, but it's spread from the east. The caves had water but were supprisingly dry. The bats sleep in the trees in the summer so we didn't see any. It was a great day!

I spent yesterday weeding. We had 1 &7/10'' of rain lately and I'm still thanking God for saving us. Our rivers are almost dry. I think you could walk across all of them without going in over your head. Scary!

Last night I read a book my SIL lent us called ''The Oxford Project.'' There is a town callled Oxford, not far from here. Population in 1984, 693. They photographed 670 of the town's people. 20 years later they re-photographed everyone again. Each person told a bit about their life. All very relaxed and candid. The storied are heartfelt. One little girl ws dropped off because her circus performer parents couldn't care for her any more. She was fostered. Many had died.

The garden is growing again. It's finally cool enough for the green peppers to actually grow. I picked most of them last night. Charlie oiled my kraut stomper andd board so I'll be making sauerkraut tomorrow. Today I hope to finish weeding the bed I was working on.

This must have hatched out here. I saw it on my bedroom screen. Later I ran to my neighbor's to water and it was on her sedum. I ran back and got my camera. It's a Mourning Cloak. I've never had one before!

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

Hi Sally, nice to see you again. That's a pretty butterfly. It is nice when they visit. I don't really have that many flowers, so it's a pretty good treat when they come around here too.
Like a hummingbird that still gets on my fake flower, I like to think it is holding off migrating to get some sugar-water!

I think the weeds sprouted overnight too!! My iris bed and lily bed need weeding pretty bad. Hoping to get to work on that tomorrow along with cutting back the rest of the irises. I also need to get my dogwood planted tomorrow before it gets too late.

I have been running non stop since the weekend. I had to find clothes for my nephew on Saturday so hit a few shops with a friend, Sunday we went to Des Moines to visit family and got home late, yesterday got up early for work and went out and celebrated my sister in law's birthday. And back to work today. Insane!!! lol

Quite a schedule there Pepper! I have school Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. My nephews are in Texas, they are young adults now. Years ago I bought a nephew a shirt but he couldn't wear it to school because they could only wear solids.

A 90% chance of rain Thursday, yippee!! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Well, all those rocks now have a new home, in the front yard! - That Wandering Jew complements them pretty good there oddly enuff. It'll have to complement them from the basement soon as it'll have to come in!

I think I know now how best to get the white to come out in my SpiderPlants, give them plenty of sun. This one gets plenty thruout the day and it has some good white on it. - I'll be bringing those houseplants in, in a couple weeks maybe, it has been getting pretty cool at nite, around mid to high forties. That SpiderPlant still amazes me, it was just a baby earlier this year.

I need to keep my eye out for a good source of some bigger rocks. I have an iris bed that I lined with rocks but only a few are big and the rest are really small. I prefer rocks over the concrete stuff. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Natural rocks are much nicer!Some times you just have to use what you have though.here's the other side of the tree with more rocks. Eventually though mine will be a combination all the way around.

billyporter; Nice to hear or read from you! you see., we missed you!!

more rocks/

Thumbnail by juhur7

Yeah, natural rocks are by far the best. I'll get you some, pepper! Want me to get you some? I am a rock collector you know!

I am sure glad this Pilea 'Aluminum' decided to get leaves again. It has got some pretty leaves, it's an awesome houseplant. -

I went to HomeDepot tonite, they have the Rose Trees half off! They are $19.99, they are about 4 feet tall. I will probably go back and get a red one. The Independence store only had red and pink and from my previous Rose shopping experiences all the Rose colors besides pink sell out fast, well, besides the always stocked (or overstocked) Knockout Roses..lol I couldn't resist telling a HomeDepot worker that something was labeled wrong, they had Black Hills Spruce labeled as just "Juniper". I wouldn't have said anything but they were nearly a hundred dollars! I know I don't like to get screwed so I thought I might save someone else a future mystery and likely nightmare. I probably wouldn't have said anything then but a worker walked right by me so I piped up. Unfortunately, some HomeDepot worker uses the word "Juniper" in a general kind of way for all evergreens.

They have changed the forecast for tomorrow, of course! There is still a chance for rain tomorrow but now instead of a 90% chance of rain it's only 60%! And it is gonna be cool. I mean 68 degrees for a high cool!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those rocks on the other side now have ice plants growing in them. I am still hoping the plants do well.I have have willow and lavender taking root from cuttings and maybe a hibiscus.
Does the tag in the pot say Azeala rare plants,looks like it.
It is still plenty hot here.80's and humid with sunshine,I planted some poppies around the side of the house today ,but I am not as hopeful for success I would usually be..and I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks for any old juniper and I would be seething if I did!.

Am I going to have to mail you a copy of the label?! lol It doesn't say that! I'm just kidding you, juhur! I know what you mean though, some labels do have "rare" something or other on the tag. Do you mean next to the red angel? It just says Exotic Angel Plants there, they are your big Walmart supplier of houseplants I think.

I just went out on the front porch and looked at the label to my Ice Plant. It's called Jewel of Desert, Rosequartz IcePlant, anyway, I couldn't believe how cold hardy they are, -10 to -20 it says!
Now I want more of it! I want to make a display with it and some evergreen Hens And Chicks I got.

Oh, it's still warm right now, it says 79° degrees still right now at the weather website, but that's going to drop tonite I believe.

I wouldn't pay a hundred dollars for a plant either, not unless I was rich and had money to burn, which I don't! My wallet is currently empty! lol Today, a guy at school asked around if anybody had 5 ones for a five and I said "not me, my wallet is empty" lol
But, in the "Juniper's" defense, it is about 6 feet tall.
I can see where somebody wanting a bigger plant for some nice landscaping would want to save much money from the nurseries' spend-whatever-it-takes method of plants and landscaping and get a good sized plant like that to lend a more mature, expensive look, to a yard or something. Personally, I like to spend about a dollar most times, and wait 5 to 10 years for it to be big enuff to put it outside! Or, if I can get something to grow from a seed or a cutting then I would do that first.
Will

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 11:52 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

58°/64°/43°
Overcast with showers at times. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

It's windy!

Will,
I still have two hummingbirds eating on my flowers. They'll leave when it's time.

Pepper,
I hear you on nonstop and insane, LOL!

Will,
I like the rocks out there and the Wanderer looks good too! I sometimes miss having a spider plant, but with my cats..... forget it! Your's look great!

Thanks Ju!
Oooh, I like those rocks!

Will,
Laughing, I used to have the pilea too. I tried all the little store plants I think.
Yikes. $100.00! I would have spoke up too.

Ju,
I love ice plant. I'm still needing lavender, but not till I get the rose bed better situated. My neighbor has it and I love the smell. I have a sprig I brought home yesterday :o)

Will,
Still... I bought 4' tall arborvitaes - ''Emerald'' for $20.00. I still think they mislabeled them. They are beautiful and tall now. I wonder about the health of the root ball in the pot.

Rain for all of us I think. It's pretty chilly here and not going to warm up.

Boy, the weather has really taken a change! The heat is gone, the cool is in! It's about 30 degrees cooler than it was 2 or 3 days ago. Pretty soon it will be time to bring in stuff that can't get cold.

Yeah, the hummingbirds here, (at my fake flower anyway) have decided to stay a while. - In the second photo it appears to be looking in the window, maybe it's saying thanks! But, I do need to make more water so it isn't so low for it to get. I got these photos about 20 minutes ago.

I put down some more mulch today, I'm trying to cover up all that nasty black mulch that I put down before. - There is my 2 Emerald Arborvitaes, to quote somebody, I hope they live long and prosper!
There is my old yella wheeled wheelbarrow in action! I don't know why my Banana Basjoos stayed so small this year, but that's one cluster of 3 or 4 in the photo, they aren't dead, but they're small!
Don't forget to water those Emeralds in such hot, dry weather, man I worry like crazy now because the leaves all came off a Weeping Dissected Japanese Maple. I hope it comes back next year or I may be living in a cardboard box! Many other trees and bushes have died because they were too far away to water or something and my friend isn't happy already. I water, and she says, "okay, why didn't you water the dead ones"!
I don't know what to say! I'm just kidding, she wouldn't throw me out I don't think! lol

Thanks on the rocks too, Sally. I proposed today putting dirt, IcePlants and Hens And Chicks in between them, my friend likes that idea too. You can see the rocks a little in the photo with the wheelbarrow up in the top right corner.
Will

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's the Hen &Chicks more of them and more rocks since this was taken ,and there is ice plants too!
Reminds me of a couple kids playing copy cat.LOL

Thumbnail by juhur7

Haha! But honest, I didn't know you did that! It IS a good idea though and yours looks great, juhur!

Well, I couldn't resist the temptation! I went to HomeDepot and got that old Rose Tree! I just hope it's redder than it now looks in the photo! Maybe my camera is playing tricks on me but it sure looked redder at the store!
Boy, they really have some decent deals on bigger, money plants for the landscaping. A do-it-yourselfer could go hog wild big landscaping for about $200. I'm talking about big Tanyosho Pines, big Weeping White Pines and I believe one other was a big Colorado Blue Spruce 'globosa' but not globosa, it had some other name but it wasn't globosa, I have a globosa but it was a $25 plant there late last Fall, anyway those that I named were $49.98 ea. There was more big ones but I don't remember their names.

Boy howdy! This is pretty hot, from mid-July here in KC., I got this screenshot from back then. It won't be these temperatures again for a while! I remember that one that says 110° actually turned out to be around 102°,
although, I think it did get up to 106° or 107° one day that week. And several other days was 104 or 105, somewhere in there. -

I'm loving this cool weather. Not a single complaint here. lol

No complaints here either, I just grouse about the 20 or so plants that I'll need to bring in soon and find a place for! Pretty soon it'll look like this maybe, if it's not another mild Winter! -

I potted up that Rose Tree today. - I put it in a planter in case it's diseased, it is isolated by itself. The cashier lady at HomeDepot said she always wondered how they make Rose Trees, I said, "I don't know, all I know is it's grafted, it's like a Rose bush sitting on top of a trunk, stick or something"..lol I don't claim to know how it's done! I didn't know until today that it was a "Double Knockout Rose", I've never been a fan of the double flowering ones, I think they look odd, but they're still pretty!
Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.