Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o, 3 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

Subject: Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o
shortleaf wrote:
n leaves if there ARE any leaves! And Christmas for you early power shoppers!

I thought there'd already be a Sept. thread going when I returned, but I am glad to do the honors of starting one.

We came from here. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273751/

Well, I am back from the raft trip on the Niangua River in Lebanon, Mo. It was a little cool and overcast to start the day but about halfway thru the float trip on the river the sun came out and it warmed up to around the low 90's Sunday afternoon.
I'm glad we got the rain, boy was it ever welcome! They said it couldn't have been better for the river and the canoeists and stuff. They said the steady rain over a day or so was much better than alot all at once because it had time to soak in the ground, and of course it was good for the river's water level, which was still low but not that bad usually, we never stopped from scraping the bottom, spring-fed rivers aren't affected real bad usually. Rafts are better than canoes on that anyway though, they never get stuck long.
We were back to Bennett Spring State Park, that is the source for the Niangua River is Bennett Spring. That place is popular. In June, when my friend and me were there, we stayed at the actual Bennett Spring State Park, this time we stayed at a private motel down the street that caters to rafters and fisher-people, vacationers etc. that are going to the park during the day or when-ever. I wouldn't recommend this private motel resort thing where we stayed this time, I think they house alot of drinkers and partiers more, it's not really a family-oriented place. I'd recommend getting a cabin at the actual park grounds, they are comparable on price and you have all the attractions right there.

In this first photo of Bennett Spring, you can see the blue area in the photo, that's the deep part of the actual spring. As you can see, the trout fisher-people like to do some fishing! Here is my niece throwing some fish food to the trout in the hatchery, all those dark spots are all the fish, there are thousands in there! Some people call it Bennett Springs but there is only 1 spring, it's Bennett Spring I say! There is a little park museum there, the park does have an interesting history, reading about the Bennetts from years ago and stuff. There is some other fun facts there, like there is different classes of springs in Missouri, and that there is 14,000 some springs in Missouri. Only ten of which are big like Bennett Spring, it's one of the biggest ones but quite a bit smaller than the biggest one in Missouri, which is also popular, ironicly enuff it's called Big Spring.

Another growing season has passed for my little cheap plants to one day be big and look like I paid big bucks for them, when actually, they started out quite small and they set me back about a dollar or so usually!
Boy, this thing about getting "babies" off of my big SpiderPlant has turned out very nice indeed! Does anybody want one? I can send one for the price of a stamp and I got the stamp covered. This is a good time to do plant material thru the mail, not too stifling hot and not too cold. I looked at my big plant today, it is nice and some big, nice babies are on it. - Pepper, Juhur, do you want one, anybody?!
This one was given to me last year and has it ever grown! This was right after I potted up the big SpiderPlant here, it was originally in a hanging basket. -
Will

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 11:30 PM