April Daily Weather III, Rebirth Begins, Even in the North

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

How much feed do you go through in a day?

(Zone 5a)

Good evening!!

So many wonderful photos and comments to read :-)

Kiska - nice to see you back! Looks like your vacation was perfect :-) Love the looks of that place - especially that hammock in the first photo. Looks like a wonderful spot to relax ;-)

EB - wow ! Spring came in a hurry there! The crocus have been flowering here for almost a month and the daffs aren't getting ready to open any time soon ......

TF - freckles is adorable :-)

Adina - the house looks great! My grandparent's house was a very similar color as yours :-)

Joey, Sidney and Deb - great looking hostas! I have quite a few and have bought 3 more already ..... they're all sound asleep still, except for the new ones - they're hanging out in the greenhouse until it gets warmer.

Kelli - LOL about the orange paint. too funny :-) You know when I saw those photos from Anacapa, Dyrhólaey was the first thing I thought of! :-) Funny you have a stamp with a photo of it. Wish I had some photos to post - mine are all pre-digital and my scanner is out of order.

Sharon - your brugs ...... ooooooohhh so pretty :-) Now I really need to grow one to know how they smell ..... ;-) lol

Joey - I have a Wisteria too - in the greenhouse of course .... it's starting to leaf out. I'm waiting anxiously to see if there will be any buds ! :-) lol

The gang are all getting better - they're still coughing but otherwise pretty good. I've had a cold for the past 3 days and a bit of a fever but nothing serious.

The weather's been wonderful since last Friday with highs around 50°F and no night time freeze! I've unwrapped the roses - although I might have to wrap them up again if we get a bad freeze. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will finally be a mild spring.

Tomorrow is the "first day of summer". It's a holiday and the girls will get summer presents. I think it's one example of Icelander's undying optimism to celebrate the beginning of summer in late April when summer really doesn't arrive until mid June ...... lol Ever hopeful - that's us ;-) lol It doesn't look like winter and summer will "freeze together" this year ........ I can't rememer whether that's supposed to be good or bad .... lol

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Dyson – Scattered intermittent light here too!
Marsue – Yes, that’s Lady M. She’s a beauty! Your little visitors are so cute!
Joey – Did you get all your plants potted? Sounds like a busy day you had planned. B on the trivia too! I love your hostas! They’re so big!
Celia – What kind of bud is that?
TF – What is the price of feed? Why is it going up so much?
Rann – So glad everyone is getting better. Did they have the flu? Have fun tomorrow! Too bad you can’t pack up and go to the beach for the day. I’m assuming it will still be a tad too cold still. ;) Such pretty blooms!

71.6 °F / 21 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/hfrom the NNE
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3100 ft / 944 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening... (the lake winds tear the leaves off my new/young plants....grrrrr)

Tonight
Windy early. Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers. Low 61. Northeast winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

This morning. I know my neighbors think I'm the "crazy plant lady" because I go out every morning and stick my face in the blooms! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Sharon, your neighbors don't know what they're missing. Let them think you're nuts. It's they who are the nutties!!! ☺ And my buds are chives getting ready to open.

Tamara, I've just remembered I'm supposed to talk to my "neighbor" and ask about egg trading but I can't seem to find which house it was. They don't live on my street and I circled around a few times trying to find them. When I do, I'll get pics and talk to them.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: Glad to hear you're all getting better! Happy first day of summer!
Joey: Trivia answer is B. I'm amazed at your hostas. None of mine are up except the Blue Angels. The others are still snoozin'.

Had an off n on cloudy day today witha high of 76F. A nice lil shower around 5. Now it's about 68. Lovely. :)

Sharon: It's ok. My neighbors always ask me "what are you always taking pictures of"?? ..and I tell them, "Flowers of course! What else?";->

Here's Bacopa in the Astilbe forest.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Another perfect spring day in Pa. Temps in the low 70's, great gardening weather. We were supposed to get rain, but had a sprinkle instead. Temps dropped to low 50's this evening so it will be good sleeping weather for this tired muscled gardener.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

kwanjin, drive around early when the roo is crowing, that will help!

sharon, the price of feed is up partly becasue farmers are getting a premium for their crops, which is mostly livestock feed. so consumers can expect eggs and meats to continue to go up. also the price of fuel raises the cost to transport your groceries and to transport grains to the feed mill and feed to the local feed stores.

add to that the new ethanol fuel made from corn, and the rising cost of oil...

eveyone try to buy as local as possible. support local growers and farmers. most food at you rstore has traveled 1500 miles to get there!

now today i hear that our local feed store is closing. they can't afford to buy it and run the store on such a low profit level. if they riase their prices to make a profit they can't sell it. sad to see it go, it is a part of the community. and my DH built their house for them...

i am fortunate that most of our breeds free range well. the others will continue to require more feed. and they get all the kitchen scraps as well. we will be increasing the size of their ranging area to include all of my previous gardens...

OK, off my "price of feed" soapbox. LOL

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

rannveig..........Spring really did come quickly here. We went from cold gray 30-40 degree days right into steady 60's and 70's with lots of sunshine. The long range forecast is calling for a couple days in the high 40's early next week. We're expecting °around 80° tomorrow though.

Joey................I haven't talked to the rehab people for a few weeks. The hawk had been moved to their "flight" building but was not well enough to be released yet. They think it has a head injury and will not be able to be returned to it's home range in time for this years breeding season.

I'm enjoying everyones photos!

Photo: My daughter takes a high pitch at a recent game.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Dyson - It's Dark here!
Celia – I just love your tulips! I’ve never seen chives bloom, post a picture when they are please!
Rann – Happy first day of Summer! I hope it’s a mild one this year (if that’s a good thing).
Deb – Love your little forest! Very pretty J I can’t wait to see your garden in bloom!
Se_eds – You had what I consider the perfect day! Temps in the 70’s and lows in the 50’s!TF – I never thought about the “livestock feed”. You hear about everything else. I always buy form our local farmers and use my own veggies as well. I can’t wait to bite into a homegrown tomato! LOL! I’ve got about 20 baby bell peppers coming in, my cucumbers and eggplant have blooms.
E_B – That’s so sad about the hawk. I hope he heals soon. How did your daughter team do in the game? You can tell she’s very pretty, even with a helmet! How is your son doing with the knee injury? (Was it your son?) That's quite a temp pattern you've got going.

66.6 °F / 19 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/hfrom the North
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa(Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 900 ft / 274 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy with a 20% chance of showers. High 76. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph.

My Fuschia has a couple of blooms.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Happy summer :-) It's 53°F and partly cloudy. It was drizzling rain earlier, now the sun's out. Light breeze, about 13 mph from the east, gusting to 22 mph.

The girls were up early to open their presents :-) They got jumping ropes and scooters. Hildur Eva also got a new helmet and Selma Rún wrist protection thingies ......

Sharon - the brugs are gorgeous and I'd be out there everyday smelling them too ;-) lol

Debi - very pretty! :-)

Hope you all have a great day! There are more plants than crocus starting to bloom now :-) This is Thlaspi rotundifolia.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Here's a photo of a photo of Dyrhólaey ;-) lol The original photo is from 1995.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Another one :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Has the water receded that bad?
I'm out again to play in the yard.
;)

Here's my weather;
75.2 °F / 24.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/hfrom the NE
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 °F / 25 °C
Sidney

(Zone 7a)

I will get a pic of the chives blooming.

37°F with 48º predicted and rain.
Feels like: 37°F

Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 33°
Humidity: 85%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:34 AM
Sunset: 8:17 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

It's just got really dark outside. And now it's hailing! Wow! It's loud!!! Hope the new tree makes it okay.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Whew! That was fun! Hail all over that place!

Sorry about the blur. Camera malfunction.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2008 9:45 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Wow, thankful all my babies weren't beat by that hail.
;)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: I know just how you feel! I have a Sunsprite rose that smells so good that it inspires me to "stick my face into it".
TF: sadly the price of everything seems to be going up!! :o((
Celia: lovely yellow tulips--I think yellow flowers must be my favorite. It looks as if it certainly "rained" a lot of hail at your place.
Deb: Go ahead--be 'crazy'--we love your flower photos!
Rann: glad the girls and your DH are better and I hope your cold has gone away! Happy first day of summer!! Iceland certainly has a lot of holidays where the children receive gifts--a child's dream come true. LOL The little lavendar-colored blooms are so pretty but I can't spell it much less pronounce it!! Interesting photo of that rock formation.
EB: I was going to say that your daughter's beauty shines through the face mask but Sharon beat me to it!
Joey, you and Deb are going to have to stop posting your hosta pics--it's causing me to have withdrawals! LOL

Today: Rain showers early with scattered thunderstorms arriving by the afternoon. High around 80F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low 63F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.

We did wake up to a thundershower this morning and then it turned into a slow drizzle for a couple of hours. It is still overcast but at least it isn't raining.

Wave petunias--they made it through the winter to bloom again!

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

Cloudy. A chance of rain and snow after midnight.
Lows in the mid 30s to lower 40s. Southeast wind 10 to 20 mph.
Sunset at 9:46pm.
It's nearly noon, 46°, no wind yet.
Hopelessly behind, but it's great to see you all again, and Rann, Dyson, so glad to be reading your posts again.
Two days ago at the pond; the ice is thinning; a good sing of things to come.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Really bad storms yesterday so haven't been on til today. Lots of lightning and thunder. And when it rained it poured. All or nothing it seemed.

Today was low 70s but very humid when the wind wasn't blowing.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sharona.............They won that game and are having a good season. My son expects to be released by the doctor next week but it will still be a while until he is back to full speed. He's decided to give up football. Doesn't want to possibly reinjure the same knee and end up with parts that are not his.

rann..............Looks like a big tide there.

kiska...........Is that a beaver pond? Looks like most of the snow is gone up there.

Here's something a bit different. It's from a program on creative photography I did recently for a club up in Buffalo. It's a space baby.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we've had a WONDERFUL Week weatherwise.
Mid upper 70's cool 50's nights.
It's still 64° here at 11:30....

This afternoon we picked up Loyd at the Flower Show.
He's been in Cincinnati all week from CA.
(Kelli he says HI!!
And he'll be at your RU.)
Short tour of our yard and a bit of chatting.
Then we hooked him up w/ some local ORVG Members for more chat, dinner and a tour of garden at Tabasco's .

As ALWAYS when 3 or more DG'ers get together... plants, stories and just a Great time break out.

I'll BBL w/ comments on the photos and such.
I've been going since 5 AM and feel a Hot Tub calling my name! LOL!

Ric

Rann – I know you are excited to see new blooms in your garden. The Thlaspi rotundifolia is so pretty, they remind me of lantana with the little cluster flowers. Love the pictures of Dyrhólaey.
Celia – Wow what a hailstorm! Was there any damage? Is the new tree ok?
Marsue – My petunias never make it here. This is the first year in a while that I haven’t bought new ones.
Kiska – That’s a gorgeous picture!
Pepper – Glad to hear you made it through the storms ok. Is the weather normally that volatile in your area?
E_B – It’s a shame your son has to quit playing football. One of our agents, Paul, had knee replacement surgery about 15 years ago from an old school injury. He started limping 2 weeks ago. He found out this week that he has to have another knee replacement surgery. I’m sure that this “new knee” will last much longer this time due to the technology. Interesting picture!
Ric – Sounds like you had a great visit with Loyd! Another post about perfect weather!

61.9 °F / 16 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 59 °F / 15 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 79. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

And no rain....darn. I thought we just might get some yesterday, but no. Lots of clouds though. Powder Puff going nuts!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Finally --- Peruvian Daffodils

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: when does Spring officially arrive in Alaska--do you have Spring there or does it just go straight to summer?
Pepper, we, too, had a thunderstorm yesterday morning (nothing major, though) but the sun did come out late in the afternoon.
EB: what a neat photo! Your photos never cease to amaze me! I think your son is wise to give up football. My DH still has trouble with his right knee at times (an old football injury) and he has been out of school for LONG time!
Ric: I wish I could have been there for that tour of Tabasco's garden. I have seen pictures of it and it is beautiful, indeed!
Sharon: you have such a wide variety of flowers in your garden. They are all pretty!

Today:
High 80°F
PM T-Storms
Precip: 40%
Wind: S 15 mph
Max. Humidity: 62%
UV Index: 8 Very High
Sunrise: 6:23 AM CT
Avg. High: 75°F
Record High: 85°F (1989)

Here's my first iris to bloom this season. In fact, it is my first iris bloom since we moved into this house 18mos. ago. Kathy Ann,A DGer from Judsonia, AR gave it to me last Dec. The name of it is "Celebrity Song".

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's a close-up:

Thumbnail by marsue

Marsue - That's a beauty!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Deb does that Bacopa self seed?

Sue the Goldfinches have started arriving here.
Hummers also.
Both nest heavily in this area.
The GF's many times raising 2 families.
Not too many years back they were about gone from here.
Lost of Thistle to roadside and farm spraying about did them in.
Now we are seeing dozens a day at the feeders.

HAIL ACK!
We got hammered a few years back.
Hole-y Petasites and Hosta for months.
Even under the fully leaved Maple.

The pictures are ALL lovely!

We have an 80° Day going on here..... it's already 70° at 9AM....
BUT it looks like a freeze is predicted for Tuesday night......
REALLY have to watch that one....

Ric

Yuck!
Sidney

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D We have a warm 59° w/ some T-storms predicted for this afternoon. Another good day to get outside! :D Yesterday & the day before was Marvelous! :) The birds are singing their hearts out! :D
At Dublin...
Fair: 57°F
Feels like: 57°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 55°
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:34 AM
Sunset: 8:08 PM

Marsue, What a Gorgeous Iris! :-O
Sharon! Peruvian no less! How Pretty! :D But your Brug is my new desktop! :D I've been looking for a "hardy" Fushia. I'm a little leerie of the ones in catalogs. There is a huge nursery not far from here...I think I'll go look there. Your's is Be-u-ti-ful! :D
Ric, Sounds as if you had a great time. Nothing better than talking to someone who appreciates a garden as much as you ! ;) I think I will teach that kind of thing to JW, cuz no one else seems to be near as interested...He watches intently while I am repotting. Yep, We're gonna have to watch the system that will be here by Monday...Hopefully it won't freeze! :-O
E_B, What a unique pic! I expect nothing less for you! ;) Your daughter is soooo pretty! I'm glad to hear that they won their game....what position does she play? And I'm glad that your son is near the end of his recovery time. Sorry about the football career, tho. He can do other things to keep him active and into sports, tho, huh? Garrett couldn't play football, either, so he opted for golf & baseball (my fave). He's really good at basketball, but we had issues w/ the coach & Garrett decided not to play. (I might add...the coach go fired this past year - - mid-season)
Pepper, Glad the storms are over for ya, but ain't that the way spring is? :)
Kiska, Sounds as if things are warming up for you! I know you are anxious for spring to be there! :D
Marsue, THose Petunia's! I wish I could get them to winter over here! I Love them!They are probably my most favorite annual. Sorry, But I have several Hosta's. And they really like it here in the shade. We have lots of it. We probably use two whole gallons of gas to mow all summer. (not bragging, just thankful)
Rann! Love your pics...and the Thlaspi rotundifolia! Does it have a common name? Hope all gets well soon! My new little Wisteria is really liking the new pot that I put it in....Now I need someone to build me a pergola (sp?). I think I'll have to employ my DB & DS. Altho, Garrett's girlfriend seems to keep him very busy....and he has so many projects for school. The 1st year of college can be very overwhelming! LOL And do can the last! :D
Kw, Love your little flower! Is hail normal for spring there? Gosh! Hope your tree made it!
Deb, You certainly Do have an Astillbe Forest! :D WOW!

The answer to the trivia is...B
The jet stream is the 'river' of fast moving winds several miles above the earth's surface that marks the boundary between global air masses. The jet stream was discovered by American B-29 bomber pilots during World War II. Pilots flying west reported headwinds as strong as 250 mph that prevented them from moving forward.

Todays' trivia is...
Q.What is a blue moon?
a) The second full moon in the same month
b) The second new moon in the same month
c) The second waning crescent in the same month
d) A moon from a popular TV show

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Joey,
I always thought it was the 2nd full moon in a month.
I doubt I'm right now though.
It's just perfect outside.
Sharon I have the best luck with petunias if I plant them in December.
They are usually toast by now, or ready to be.
Sidney

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sidney, why would your petunias be "toast" by now in Florida? Our temps can get up past 100º in late July and August but the petunias just keep on blooming. It is very unusual for them to survive from one season to the next, though. That is why I was so thrilled to see the "waves" come back this year.
Joey: Like Sidney,I think the answer to the trivia is "A".
Ric: enjoy the goldfinches--I sure wish they stayed around here for the summer.
Sure hope you don't get a freeze next week!
I'll be away tomorrow--going to Randolph's Nursery (Rita's) in Jackson, TN with some other DGers from the Mid-South Forum. It is promising to be a fun day! Y'all have a good week-end!
Here are the Martins socializing on their bird box this morning:

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

We had some fun weather yesterday. Whew!!! Everything made it okay, as far as I can tell.

We had hail twice, then a little sun, rain, hail again (3rd time), snow and finally ended the day with a little more sun. Yup! Springtime in the Rockies! LOL

45°F with 56º later today. Sunny and cloudy both predicted. Hmm...
Feels like: 38°F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↓
Dewpoint: 26°
Humidity: 47%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 14 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:32 AM
Sunset: 8:18 PM
UV Index: 3 Moderate

Got a blurry shot from the truck.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Certainly sounds like a wild ride!
We have some T-Storms moving in tonight.

Temp is 79° now and climbing!
Full Sun and windy

Ric

(Zone 3b)

Snow...mixed at times with rain. Little to no snow accumulation. Highs in the upper 30s. Southwest wind 10 to 25 mph.
Snowing now~~~

(Zone 7a)

Oh, and I saw this at work yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL, Celia! What's that all about? Is it a rental for the prom?

(Zone 7a)

Mau, here's what it's all about. LOL

http://sweetandsassy.com/

And you have the most gorgeous Iris!

Everybodies flowers always look better. Except the ones that are our favorites. LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

What a neat idea! I especially like the "Manners Matter" workshop. Pretty pricey, though, but there's always a grandma around somewhere who is willing to shell out the dough for her DGD's birthday party! LOL (Just ask me how I know!).

currently 74º and slightly windy and overcast--looks as if it could rain any minute.

My latest discovery in the flower bed. I think it is an "Ixia".

Thumbnail by marsue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.