April Daily Weather III, Rebirth Begins, Even in the North

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Marsue, I'd say that is a ranunculus.

Rann, yes, Dyrholaey does look like Anacapa, except that Anacapa doesn't have a beach. Is that sand at Dyrholaey as black in real life as it looks in the picture?

Ric, I wish I could send you some of this heat. I sure don't need all of it. (Tell Loyd I said hi.)

... Hot weather forecast Saturday and Sunday across the Southland...

An upper level high pressure system combined with moderate offshore
flow will bring very warm high temperatures to the Southland on
Saturday... with many coastal and valley areas soaring well into the
90s. The Santa Ana wind condition will bring some of the warmest
temperatures to the coastal plain.

On Sunday... the overall air mass is expected to continue
warming... leading to even warmer temperatures. Most areas will see
highs in the 90s with some of the warmest inland locations will
likely soar to 100 degrees.

Since it is almost may most Max temperature records are quite high
and only isolated record readings are expected with this heatwave.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on April 25, 2008
80 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 25 °F / -4 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the North

Here are some of the 154 stairs to the top of Anacapa.

Thumbnail by Kelli

And most of the rest of the stairs.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

Had to leave in a hurry, but more time now.
The snow is really coming down now; this time of year it's a wet snow and shouldn't last too long.
pepper23~seems strange to hear that's humid already; must last for months?
E_B~Sorry to hear about your son's knee problems; as M2Keep mentioned, perhaps he'll find another sport. The pond pic is not a beaver pond. It'll fill up later with run-off as things start thawing. Love your Space Baby pic.
ric~How nice that the goldfinches have returned; weather sounds pretty good, too.
MySharona~Thanks; the Powder Puff and Peruvian Daffodils are so nice.
Marsue~with the heavy snow today sure hope it's not going to change the season too much. Spring usually begins in Mid-May and goes very quickly; the long daylight speeds growth and it happens right before your eyes, it seems. Love your Celebrity Song.
Music2Keep~JW will have a wonderful teacher and I can just imagine him watching your every move and taking it all in. Bet he loves hearing the birds sing, too.
kwanjin~love your cloud pic~and, the wild weather continues for your area, sounds like.
LaPaz, Mexico
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's spring time so storms are very normal. Tornadoes not uncommon either.

Today our weather started out great and went south starting mid-morning. We were at 70* and went down to 51* at 2pm. It is colder than that now though I don't know what it is exactly. We will get close to freezing tonight so we are crossing fingers and hoping it's a very short one with no damage.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ranunculus or Ixia--whatever it is, Kelli--I don't remember planting it--LOL. I bought a bunch of bulbs at 75% off late last fall so when this came up I went searching through the labels. The only thing I could find that resembled it called it an Ixia which I never heard of. There is another one about to bloom, too, only it is yellow. The foliage is very close to the ground and the bloom comes up on a stalk about 8 to 10 inches high. By the way, if someone manges to make it to the top of Anacapa, the view would certainly be worth it--but not for me! I would have to have an elevator! LOL
Ah, Kiska--did you and your DH ever consider staying in Mexico permanently? LOL
What gorgeous surroundings you had there!
Yep, pepper, we are into our normal springtime pattern, too. Afternoon thundershowers almost every day--although today they didn't materialize, thank goodness.
Yesterday only one of the iris buds had bloomed out. Here's the "Celebrity Song" today.

Thumbnail by marsue
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric: I don't know if Bacopa self seeds, but they never have in my garden...yet.

High today was 83F. Low tonight 58.
Partly cloudy. Hoping for a sunny Saturday.
Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

marsue, your photos of Iris "Celebrity Song" are outstanding. What a beauty.

We had 1-1/2" of rain last Friday and Saturday but temps in the high 70's and 80's the rest of the week, with 15-20 mph wind. Believe it or not, I am watering newly planted daylily seedlings and "breeder plants". If they don't get water in April/May it cuts back their blooms, scapes and ability to set seeds.

We are under a "burn Ban" due to dry woods and fields. Will last until the end of April, at least. Many local farmers burn brush, etc in the spring and have started quite a few brush and mountain fires. Mountain fires in our area are usually worked furiously and put out the same day. Can't even burn stuff in a barrel. Only bar-b-que grills allowed.
High today in the upper 70's, light breeze, NO Rain. We were promised rain and thunderstorms for tonight and tomorrow but they went south and north of us.

Oh, well, we may get rain from the cold front moving in.

(Zone 3b)

6pm~ several inches of snow and continuing.
The power's been out, off and on, just enough to mess up the clocks and computer. The roads are a mess and where or where is spring:))
I'll take one of those sunny Saturdays, if's there's more to pass around, Deb.
Se_eds~that sounds terribly dry and with dangerous conditions.
Marsue~it certainly was nice down there; but gosh, stay and miss all this snow:) Love seeing the new additions of Celebrity Song.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Marsue I love bearded Irises and my DC, who lives 20 mins from Tamera Faye, has my Aunt Annabele's Iris collection going to ruin in her backyard. We have ask to let TF dig them but???
I think Tamera could get a great starter stock for 20 years of 'dig your own' flags. That's how they were obtained and I can remember many trips with our DGM digging flags at a lady's house outside of Plainview, Texas.
When they sold Mama's place in Hale Co. Annebele dug some of all of her collection.
I like the Magenta Blossom too.
Se_eds I know those Daylilies are so lucky to have your TLC.
Warm, nice out.

Yes Kiska, could you ever live in Mexico?

Marsue, I'll have to look in my "archives" for a picture of ixia. I have some bulbs but they are done blooming for this year. The flowers are smallish (less than an inch across) and have only six petals.

I have never been to Mexico, Kiska, but it looks nice from your pictures.

Marilyn, at this point, the Astros have more wins than the Dodgers. Do you feel my pain?

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on April 25, 2008
90 °F / 32 °C
Clear
Humidity: 8%
Dew Point: 21 °F / -6 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s

Nothing new wildflower world yesterday, so here are some lichens.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

sugarweed~how nice that there's a history to the iris~hope someone
(TF) wil be digging them and keep them going?
Nice to visit warm weather, but sure would not want to make a home there.
Snow's piling up and looking really pretty.

(Zone 3b)

Sorry, crossed, Kelli~ by the way, sure enjoyed your earlier series.

(Zone 3b)

27° Snow
Snow tapering off this morning. A chance of light rain and snow this afternoon. Additional snow accumulations up to 2 inches this morning. Highs in the mid 30s to lower 40s.
Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph.
East winds gusting to 30 mph in the afternoon. Areas of blowing snow.
A touch of blue.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

what a wonderful winter wonderland kiska! in this summer's heat i will be posting THIS on my computer ^_^

bet that little blue car isn't liking it though!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

((((((((((((Kelli))))))))))))) I'm so sorry! ^_^

I found fire ants in the backyard on Wednesday (OUCH!!!), so I put down some Spinosad yesterday morning - and of course it rained all last night. (sigh...) It's supposed to rain all weekend, so I'll have to put more down on Monday. The bunnies play in the backyard, so I want to get rid of the nasty little critters as soon as possible. My bites from Wednesday STILL hurt/itch, and the little bunny is much more sensitive to them than I am.

I was hoping to get a lot done in the garden this weekend. Some folks from the Texas forum are going to be here in 2 weeks, and I'm hoping to have significantly fewer weeds by then. LOL Ah, well... We'll have to find something else fun to do for now. :-)

It's going to reach the lower 80s today. My daylilies have been blooming.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CDT (34 min ago)
Temperature 74 °F 23 °C
Dew Point 64 °F 18 °C
Humidity 71%
Pressure 30.03 in 1016.9 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir N 10°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 °F 25 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 68.0°F / 20.0°C

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Wow, you have daylilies already. I really like the color of that one.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on April 26, 2008
91 °F / 33 °C
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 25 °F / -4 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the NNE

amaryllis "Ragtime"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Mid 30s this morning and it finally worked its way up to low 60s. Just barely tolerable.

Here is Whiskers aka Fat Boy among my tulips.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, I gotta say, we did have a lovely day today. Sunny and 82. Perfect. Planted, weeded, watered, etc.

Sharon: I love those Peruvian Daffs!

Pretty flowers, everyone.

Lousiana Iris, "Black Gamecock" (these have really taken over my garden; need thinning.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 7a)

You can send some my way...LOL

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kwanjin: Dmail me your address and I'll send you some when I divide them. :)
Deb

The Black Gamecock is beautiful! My LA iris didn't bloom this year. It seems to do every other year. I don't think my alkaline-ish condtions are its favorite thing, though I do give it some sulfur. I'm just not down on the bayou. After all, it is an LA iris, not an L.A. iris. Maybe I should play it some Cajun music. ;-) (I actually have some. It's one of my favorite genres - strange but true.)

They're calling for it to get up to 99F today so it will be a good day to stay inside and watch baseball and basketball and work on my photo files and maybe my scrapbook and another article for Dave's, and that's just the fun stuff that needs to be done. I guess I'll be in this room all day, so I might as well turn on the humidifier now.

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on April 27, 2008
84 °F / 29 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 27 °F / -3 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the NNE

Statement as of 6:00 PM PDT on April 26, 2008

... Preliminary record high temperatures in Southern California...

a record high temperature of 90 degrees was set at Torrance today.
This beats the old record of 87 set in 2004.

A record high temperature of 95 degrees was set at Camarillo today.
This breaks the old record of 86 degrees set in 2004.

A record high temperature of 91 degrees was set at Oxnard today.
This breaks the old record of 83 degrees set in 1997.

(I don't remember anything about 2004, but 1997 was the year that we moved into this house. It was a hot and windy spring.)

(Zone 3b)

Cloudy with isolated rain showers in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 30s to mid 40s. Northeast wind 10 mph in the morning becoming light
Sunrise: 5:55 AM AKDT Sunset: 9:54 PM AKDT
Marylyn~so sorry you've been bit by fire ants; sounds just awful. Get well soon and hopefully you'll be able to get rid of them. The Day Lily looks great.
Kelli~Your Amaryllis is also very pretty. Sounds as if your day indoors will be a good place to be.
pepper~cute kitty.
Deb~love the iris.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sure wish I could send you some of our rain, se_eds. We had more this morning. :o((
Kelli: Those lichens are as colorful as some of the wildflowers you post here! I won't complain about the unseasonably warm 80's we have had lately after reading about your temps! Pretty amaryllis--mine aren't blooming yet but just getting ready to, I hope. :o))
Kiska: I'm saving your snow photo to use as background in Aug. when our temps get up to 100º, too!
Marylyn: sorry about the fire ants--they definitely need to be eliminated! I love the color of that daylily!
Deb: "Black Gamecock" is gorgeous!! Is that similar to a Dutch Iris?
Pepper: "Fat Boy" doesn't appear to have a worry in the world! LOL

It's cooler today--currently 62º and cloudy. We had a slow, steady rain this morning but it stopped around 10:30 a.m. Tomorrow's forecast is calling for sunshine and a high of 71º.

Here's my Sunsprite tree roses all in bud with a few blooms--marvelous fragrance!

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Mau, as always...Beautiful!!!

Everyone's are.

62°F with 80º by Tuesday!!! Yea! I'll be off and playing in the sun!!! ☺
Feels like: 62°F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↓
Dewpoint: 15°
Humidity: 14%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 5 mph NNW
Sunrise: 6:30 AM
Sunset: 8:20 PM
UV Index: 7 High

Can't wait until these are blooming again.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Wow such beautiful Blooms, Chicks, and Lichens.
It's in the 80s here and I'm busier tan all get out planting and starting cuttings for the big 'Plant' next month.
Going to be in mid 50s in DC this week.
Must take a jacket.
Sidney

Actually it's gonna be a tad warmer.
Tues 61° F | 41° F,
Wed Partly Cloudy, 61° F | 43° F
Thurs Partly Cloudy, 72° F | 54° F
I'm really gonna TRY to pack light.
;)

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiska- I love the benches in the La Paz picture, they’re gorgeous! You’ve had a lot of snow in the last couple of days! Cooled me off just looking at your winter picture.
Maruse – Your iris are so pretty!
Marylyn – Are you hosting a RU? Yikes fire ants {{{shudder}}} – Hope you feel better soon. Love the daylily!
Kelli – WOW – Ragtime is gorgeous!
Pepper – Whiskers is adorable and he looks very content sitting amongst the beautiful tulips!
Deb – Your iris is gorgeous too! WOW – it has a deep color!
Kelli – 99* already? I dread August here…
Marsue – What is the total amount of rain you’ve had so far this? The sunsprites are gorgeous!
Celia – I can’t wait to see them bloom too! LOL!

82.4 °F / 28 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/hfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4600 ft / 1402 m
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft / 3048 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms during the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Low 63. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

I've had a nice long weekend by myself, except for the cats and Prissy! It's been a mini-vacation! LOL! I got a lot of gardening done and house "stuff".

Marylyn - I now have a pink moss rose! I can't help myself!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Sidney - Are your live oaks blooming in extreme this year? Everything in my yard is covered with Live Oak leaves and the blooms ugghhh - millions of them this year!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Really neat lichens, Kelli I appreciate the small forms too.
marsue - we got a full 1" of rain yesterday and last night. How Lucky can you get?
I have to start 'dividing' tomorrow. I mean 3/4 yr. old daylily clumps whose roots go down to H**l and are indeed, firmly planted. I always promise myself UI won't let them go more than three yrs. without dividing - then get a spectacular bloom in their third yr. Go figure!

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on April 27, 2008
96 °F / 36 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 6%
Dew Point: 18 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 22 mph / 35 km/h / 9.8 m/s

I think this is an Engelmann prickly pear.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like Opuntia engelmannii to me.
Lovely Flower!

Sue Iris 'Black Gamecock' is one of the few Louisanna type Iris.
We've had it 10 years or better... In pots....
Like Iris pseudacorus they LOVE water.... in fact we grow ours in the pond year around.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/2589850/

I'm not a big Ditch Lily fan.
We have a few and they're pretty but I just have never gotten the bug.
I DO though like looking at all the pictures of them..... LOL!

Well we had a lovely 3 days off... till just a few minutes ago when the rains set in.
Not complaining we need the pots watered... lol!
We may be doing a scramble tomorrow and Tuesday nights.
Temps will be droppping to near freezing.
How near we're not sure yet.
May 10th is our Frost Date.

Here's a new Annual we're trying.
Chinese Foxglove

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Coolish today. We only reached a high in the 50s. Partly cloudy all day.

When I was trying to get Whisker's pictures he kept trying to get in my lap. Sun was out and so was I which meant nap time in my lap for him. lol. Here's another of him in my tulips.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

54°F tonight with showers expected later. Our stretch of incredibly great weather is coming to an end. I just checked the 10 day forecast and there is only one day when rain is not expected. Our mild temps are returning back to normal as well with highs in the upper 50's and lower 60's. It's probably a good thing though. All the good weather has been kicking my butt since I've been working nonstop outside. I need a break.

Deb...........I would love to trade for some of your "Black Gamecock" Iris.

Kelli...........Wow ! 99° already?!?! I see there are fires burning out there too. Hopefully it won't be a repeat of last year.

Kiska..........Spring is sure slow to arrive there. South Dakota set records for snowfall in the past couple of days as well.

Marsue..........Beautiful iris photos.

I can't believe how much I've gotten done the past couple of weekends. This morning I split locust rails to make more fence around the rest of the yard. I cleaned out my biggest flower bed--not a weed to be found. I hauled wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of debris to their various spots. I installed a new frost-proof outdoor faucet then took the canvas cover from the gazebo to the laundromat and washed it before installing it on the gazebo. I top-dressed beds with 2 year old compost and then finished up with the 16 mile loop on my bike, arriving home just before dark. I'll sleep well tonight.

Photo: My Tahiti daffodils bloom later then most of the others and are at their peak now. This is looking east up through my backyard. Things are really greening up quickly now.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Ric...........I really like your Chinese foxglove. It really looks delicate.

Closer view of the Tahiti Daffs.....

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Kelli – That’s a pretty bloom on the prickly pear. I’m glad you mentioned prickly pears. I want to buy some (to eat). I like them at breakfast.
Ric – I just heard we have a “little” cool front coming through on Wednesday. It will be nice after the 80’s we’ve had. Like E_B said the foxglove does look very delicate. I hope your cold blast doesn’t cause harm in your garden.
Pepper – Whisker just wants to be with his mama! LOL! He’s so cute!
E_B – You’ve been busy! Your lawn and garden are beautiful! The Tahiti Daffs are gorgeous! Where did you find the bird feeder? It’s huge! LOL! Also, I see some “crosses” in the background. What are they used for?

69.4 °F / 20 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3600 ft / 1097 m
Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Today
Partly cloudy in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 79. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Rain maybe? Crossing fingers! Here is Boo praticing her "I'm so sweet" look.

Thumbnail by MySharona

We are re-modeling the living room (tiling the floor, repainting, new furniture, etc...) I'm thrilled, it's time. The boys are older and bigger and have finally learned the art of taking care of "things"! As you can tell from this picture a portion of the floor still needs to be tiled. We took out the giant entertainment center (which was where the last portion of carpet was remaining). It's in the garage and being donated this week. But my "find" is the coffee table. It's been at my friends store for 3 months (Divine Finds). I caved in on Friday and bought it!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Updated

Now
Through 9 am...scattered showers will mainly be focused over southeast Georgia with other isolated showers over northeast Florida. These showers will produce brief moderate rainfall and will be moving northeast around 25 mph. A continuation of isolated to scattered showers and possibly isolated thunderstorms are anticipated after 10 am over the area.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's been a wet ( much needed) past few days. 2" since Saterday afternoon and it's still coming down pretty steady. But it never fails....right when I want to do a little surgery to a spot in the yard. Maybe I should have tried to do that last year when we were so dry! :D But I didn't have the brain storm until last week. From the looks of the Doplar we're gonna be getting lots more rain and the low for Tuesday night does not look good. (low to mid 30's)
At Dublin...
Rain: 57°F
Feels like: 57°F
Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 57°
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 5 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:30 AM
Sunset: 8:10 PM

Ric, Our frost date is the 10th , too. Love the Chinese Foxglove! WOW! And the La. Black Gamecock! So Pretty!
Sharon, I love your new coffee table! And the tile! :D Please show us when you are finished remodeling! OK? :D
E_B! Love the Tahiti Daff's! & your yard! :D Really Green!
Kelli, Love the cactus bloom! I'm still waiting on mine to bloom. I took offshoots from an old plant 2 years ago & they are growing good, but haven't bloomed yet. (sigh) Love the lichen! I think you have 2 different kinds there! THanks! :D btw, Did yyou climb all of those steps! Now that would have been a workout!
Pepper Love your tulips And your kitty! :D Looks like he's Perrrr-fectly contented where he's at! :D
Marylyn, How are the ant bites! I know they are painful! :-O My BIL sat in them when he was little (in diapers!) and remembers the pain! Hope you feel better soon & hope you have gotten rid of them!
Marsue, Those roses are beautiful! I have been hunting for a pink rose that my granny had...My sis & I have about decided that it was an Alba. I hope to get one this year, if I can find one for less than $65.00! I may just have to suck it up & get it anyway.
Deb, That is the most Beautiful Iris! You have such an assortment in your garden! WOW!
Kiska, Lots a snow! :D Nothing like a spring snow! Beautiful!

The answer to the trivia is...A
A blue moon, the second full moon in the same month, is nothing rare--it happens about once every 2 1/2 years. But a second blue moon in one year, which last occurred on March 31, 1999, only happens about 3 or 4 times per century.

Today's trivia is...
What is the least windy US city based on daily average wind speed?
a) Oak Ridge, TN
b) Hays, KS
c) Thief River Falls, MN
d) Chippewa Falls, WI

You all Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.