February Daily Weather#2, Spring is just around the corner!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

12° now and Calm.
We've been updated to a Winter Storm Warning..
Starting around 7 PM Tonight going thru Noon tomorrow...
3-5" and then Ice Storm.......

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All! :D It's a nippy 14° here in the "finally calm" woods! I thought that the wind would never die down yesterday! Whew! The sun is out, but rather frrriggggiddd.
At Dublin...
Clear: 14°F
Feels like: 0°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: -6° ! (what does this mean?)
Humidity: 36%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 11 mph W
Sunrise: 7:17 AM
Sunset: 5:58 PM
WIND CHILLS BELOW ZERO THIS MORNING... .ARCTIC AIR POURED INTO THE AREA OVERNIGHT. COMBINE THIS WITH THE WIND THIS MORNING... AND WIND CHILLS WILL BE BELOW ZERO.
48,000 folks (in Va) are w/out power this mornin! :-O

Ric, I think that we are supposed to get the same exact weather that you are getting...Stay warm!
Sharon, at least you have something to mow! :D I had company, too! He is sooooo sweet! ;)
kwanjin & Karrie. Welcome! :D
Kiska, If you don't drive a deisel how do you plug in a regular vehicle? Are they set up (up there) when you buy them for that? Down here the deisel engines are, but not the rest. Tell me a little about the diptheria serum run to Nome. Sounds interesting...was it way back in the day?
When Pepper & Ric! You all are freezing me! LOL You're killin' me! :D
E_B, Looks as if you had some "white out conditions" too! Your pics are rather similar to Sally's! :-O
Sidney! Beautiful! Coleus! Thanks for the new thread! :D All your hard work is definitely paying off. But if you're like me...it doesn't seem like work. :)
Deb, Your neighbor has a gorgeous Camellia!
Marsue, the rose isn't fake. I just got lucky w/ that shot!
Kelli, The Wild Cucumber fruit looks deadly! Kinda like a Datura pod! :-o Only I'm guessing that the Cucumber pod is larger...And glad that the tooth is better...for more hiking! :D Love those pics! :D
Adina, I hope that the contractors can match the stucco color! I like it!

The answer to the trivia is...A
The Island of Java, in Indonesia, has thunderstorms occurring an average of 322 days a year.

Todays trivia is...
Which state sees the most tornadoes in an average year?
a) Florida
b) Oklahoma
c) Kansas
d) Texas

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Tulips! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i am going to say Oklahoma, because the ones that start here finsih there, and plenty more start there... B

i haven't paid much attention to the weather here, my internal weather is still clogged and weak. but we have had some beautiful sunrises...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, I miss one day and look how busy you guys and gals have been! First I want to say "WELCOME" to kwanjin (Celia) and to Karrie--the more the merrier!
I love the view from your house, Celia. Celia and I visit regularly on another thread in another forum. I am the "Mau" she referred to above, in case any of you are wondering. It stands for "Ma" or "mom", since I am the "oldest critter" on the other thread! LOL

Great photos, as usual, everyone but too many posts to comment on individually. I don't envy the harsh winter weather some of you are experiencing, though. BRRRRR
Joey, I'm guessing "B" for the trivia answer.

Blue Bunny's Brownie Fudge Fantasy is my favorite ice cream but not in the winter time--only in the summer! Too cold for ice cream-0-give me some hot tea! LOL

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CST
Fair
Feels Like: 20° (See--I told you it was cold!!)
Barometer: 30.27 in and falling
Humidity: 58%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 19°
Wind: E 10 mph
Sunrise: 6:58 am
Sunset: 5:46 pm

Today: Cloudy with occasional showers. High 49F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Tonight: Showers and thundershowers early, then overcast overnight with steady rain - a thundershower is possible. A few storms may be severe. Low 46F. SSE winds shifting to W at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall around a half an inch.

Everyone have a good day! ☺☺☺

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm going to guess D just 'cuz Texas is SOOO big. Oklahoma probably gets a great proportion of tornadoes/square mile, though.

I got a lot of weeding done this weekend. Yayyy! Now I need to do some rearranging out there and I'll be ready for spring. The rearranging involves moving a LOT of monkey grass from the front bed to the back yard where it is so shady/weedy, no grass will grow. I have some ferns and cannas to move around, too. That's going to wait, though, because it is raining. Again. As usual. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CST (13 min ago)
Temperature 63 °F 17 °C
Dew Point 60 °F 16 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.17 in 1021.7 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir E 100°
Ceiling 6000 ft 1829 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 57.0°F / 13.9°C

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Good morning everyone. We have 20 degrees and ice. Tv said 1/4 inch but we have already passed that and it is still coming down fast. Roads are very bad. Some schools are still holding on until 11:30 a.m. No way would I want to try to get a bus load of children home during this. Hats off to all bus drivers!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone has very nice pictures love the blooms. We are supposed to get 3 to 5 inches of snow after the ice. I just hope it dosen"t do like last year and take down all the trees and power lines. Our coop did a good job of clearing right of ways so we should be good. Hope everyone stayd safe and warm good day for a big pot of chili and cinnamon rolls!

(Zone 7a)

Hi, everybody!

Our temp is 43º
Barometric pressure 30.2↓
Humidity 62%
Visibility 10 miles
Wind 0 mph
Sunrise was 7:26am
Sunset will be 5:57pm
UV index 2 Low (What does this mean?)

Dew point is when air, at a constant barometric pressure, cools enough to turn the water vapor in the air to water...dew. So, if you have an air temp lower than freezing, you get the Frost Point.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey – I’m going with B on the trivia. Aww, you got to love on JW this past weekend!
TF – Hope you get better soon! You’ve been down for a while now.
Marylyn – I envy you your rain! My lawn is embarrassing with all the weeds I have now! Can’t wait to weed (hopefully this weekend).

63.1 °F / 17 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 35 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4 km/hfrom the NE
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 30.36 in / 1028.0 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Well, WX has raised our high to 67* now. I like how it changes during the day! LOL! Prissy sunbathing yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I wish we could send you our rain, Sharon! :-)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Marylyn I think you are sending Sharon and I your rain wed.
It's supposed to rain all day. At least we have rebounded from our drought of last year.
I'm setting in the company of a bouquet of native purple Azealeas and bright Cape Honeysuckle like Kelli has in Ca. I've also been playing next to the Taggets which have that sharp aroma that jerks me back to my childhood like a splash in the face.
Joey, I'm going to say Florida, only because I was surprised when someone mentioned that a few years back.
We're getting down to 40º tonight. Much above the danger mark for my babies. Those above are from my 'archives'. Just something to make me anticipate new ones.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Well the water froze, the winds dropped the power lines for many folks, and many small forrest fires were started. The water is back on and I did not have to touch a pipe.

The "new" dog is eating my pajamas. and everything else she can grasp with her jaws - Life is good. Or close to bearable.

(Zone 3b)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balto
The above link is information about the diptheria serum run by dog sled in 1925. It was more than 1000 miles to Nome where the outbreak occured. Balto was one of the lead dogs, Togo, the other, that got the serum to Nome. Now, the Iditarod Sled Dog race commerates that event. There is no road/nor rroad to Nome; like most of Alaska, travel by plane is the way to other areas of the state.
This weekend the more than 2,000 mile "Iron Dog" race began, from here to Nome, backtrack to Fairbanks by snow machine. The defending champion is the husband of the governor of Alaska; he's referred to as the "First Dude"...
The plug ins for vehicles are for non-diesel. We have engine block heaters installed; they keep the oil liquid and keep the battery from freezing.
3pm:
9°F above and had some snow w/more forecast.
Dyson~~sounds awful, but at least you didn't have a broken pipe.
Sidney~I'm intrigued by your description of the fragrance of the Taggats you mentioned. What is it and what is the plant?
Sharon~Prissy looks very content. She's going to miss you this summer. Bet she's going to be in good hands, though.
clerkie56~hope all's well there; do the buses have chains? The ones here have automatic chains; they drop down from the undercarriage onto the tires w/out the driver getting out.
kwanjin~looks like a very acceptable temperature for winter; should it stay like that?
Joey~tulips popping up; how nice that pot will be soon. B
Marylyn~~weeding and moving plants sounds like a good way to spend some time.
School buses plugged in. (I think I've posted this before)...

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Psst! Y'all don't move to Alaska if you can't take cold. They have to plug in their cars to keep 'em from freezing and even the statues need woolly scarves!! LOL. (Kiska - I say again - you are made of stronger stuff than I could ever hope!)

Joey: Wooohooo! I got Java right! and wow! 322 days a year? Let's see, I 'll guess B-Oklahoma.
Sharon - Prissy looks positively blissful!
Marylyn - Seems like I'm always relocating monkey grass. :)

Dyson: "new" dog?? Did I miss something? Tell!

Our weather today was "normal". Hi near 60, low in upper 30s. Totally as it should be this time of year.
Deb

(Zone 3b)

Deb~~Glad to see it's normal weather for your area. Here, too:)) I
'm not really made of stronger stuff, just kinda became, as they say, " a tough Alaskan"> This will be our 30th year up here and the long hot summer days of living in Calif, are but a memory...I think that you and others in hot areas are the tough ones:)
Kiska

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It is so cold here today it's not even funny. Everyone was running to the heaters to warm their hands and bodies and that's something that most of us don't do unless it's raining or snowing. Temps never changed much at work today so that didn't help either. It started out at 16* and stayed there. BRRRR! My truck was even acting up cause it was so cold.

Currently: 16°F Light Snow
Kansas City, Missouri
Currently: -8°C Light Snow
Wind: East-Northeast at 8 MPH
Humidity: 79%
Dewpoint: 10°F
Barometer: 30.08 inches and
Wind Chill: 5°F
Wind: East-Northeast at 12 KPH
Humidity: 79%
Dewpoint: -12°C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and
Wind Chill: -15° C
Sunrise: 7:15 am
Sunset: 5:52 pm

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Ric.........Most of the snow over the weekend seemed to be lake effect.

Sharona...........I'm glad you liked the snow photos but I think I'D RATHER BE IN one of your beach pictures!

KashtanGeorge........Lets see, you want my winter and Marylyn wants to send rain to Sharona in Florida.. Then Sharona could send me some of that Florida weather. Lets get a Weather Round Robin trade group going!

Well........It's 2°F here tonight and we are expecting up to 8 more inches of new snow through tomorrow. Spring might be just around the corner but it sure seems like the corner is a long way down the road.

Photo: Whiteout ahead!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I love your pictures too EB. This is my favorite way to see snow. Through your lenses.
;)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Lets get a Weather Round Robin trade group going!

LOL E_B!! I'd be happy to send my weather around, but I don't want any of your weathers back!

(Zone 3b)

Interesting concept; not yet ready for some cooler weather, Marylyn:))?

(Zone 7a)

Did we get an answer to the trivia Q? I say Oklahoma.

It's 33º and cooling off fast. We might have frost in the morning and then I'll try for more pics.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Wow sounds like a lot of you had a stormy and cold weekend! I guess the ground hog was right ;-)

Friday's storm broke yet another pane in the green house and blew out the other two that keep falling out in every big storm this winter. It was a bit drafty there this weekend ..... I didn't notice it until Sunday. I need to start checking the greenhouse after these big storms ....

DH was mighty glad to get out of that plane ....... planes aren't very steady on the ground in those kinds of winds ..... It's kind of like being on a boat. I don't know why on earth they waited 5 hours to get them off - it was clear from the forecast that the winds weren't dying down anytime soon. The weather was worse when they finally got out than when the plane landed. Apparently planes can take off and land in high winds if the wind direction is right ....... I think they need to figure out a plan to get people quicker off the planes that manage to land though ......

It's cloudy, 32°F and rather blustery, about 22 mph.

Sharon - Lady Margaret is looking good! :-)

Kwanjin and Karrie - Welcome! Very nice scenery you have there Kwanjin :-)

Kiska - so interesting about the sled run - and the plugged in cars :-)

It's 9:30 am and it's light out already! :-) Sunrise now at 9:34 and sunset at 5:49.

Sharon - does your "Phal" live outside?? Mine are still blooming :-) I saw 2 more at the garden center the other day that I decided I couldn't do without ;-) Here's one of them:

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

This is the other one. Isn't that a gorgeous color ? ! :-) Never seen it before and of course I HAD to have it! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately my kitchen window is now packed full so I can't get any more ....... Please try to ignore the horribly dirty windowpane ..... we get so many storms at this time of year that there's no way to keep the windows clean. I just don't have the energy or longing to go out and wash windows everyday ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

LOL! I didn't know I'd joined a daily weather report! You all seem like very nice folks, so I'll just have to stick around.

I'll let you know what our weather is like in the morning (oh, it is morning - I'm a night owl) - I mean after I get up and check. I did watch the news this evening (still evening to me) and they said around 40 as a high tomorrow with more rain and more danger of flooding (no surprise to me). The low is expected right around 32 I think. This is much better than what we had. I feel for those of you out East (of here) that are getting those freezing cold temperatures. Guess we lucked out this time around. Cast comes off tomorrow afternoon. No more slipping on ice for this little girl. I guess my next fear will be drowning!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Dyson – Glad your pipes didn’t burst! Your new dog sounds like she’s keeping you busy and out of trouble! LOL!
Kiska – Prissy is going to be staying at a friend’s house while we are in your neck of the woods. Thanks for the link to the race. Very interesting and I love the term First Dog!
Deb – I’m cracking up! Too funny! Dyson’s been talking about his new dog, but won’t give up and details! I think her name is “new dog”! LOL!!
Pepper – I hope all is well in your area. Sounds like a rough day, one that I can’t imagine.
E_B – LOL!! The water is still cold, but come on down! We’ve had fog white outs like that. Pretty, but scary too.
Rann – Did you loose any seedlings? You’ve had some strong winds, be careful. Your new Phals are gorgeous! Makes me want more too! LOL! They make for a pretty view from the window. Don’t feel bad about the windows – ours have a light coating of pollen on them now. Mine live outside all the time from Spring – Fall (unless we receive any really bad weather). They are inside in the winter when the temps are below 55*, above they go out until the temp begins to drop.
Karrie – Glad the cast is coming off! See you in the afternoon…uh your morning!

53.1 °F / 11.7 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4900 ft / 1493 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Today
Patchy fog early in the morning. Mostly cloudy. Becoming breezy. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 72. Southeast winds increasing to 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Sunset going over the intracoastal last night.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! We're very glad you're going to stick around, Karrie. :-) Please be careful in the flood waters!

kiska, I've lived in cold places before (though not as cold as you!), and I don't miss real winters at all. I'm quite content with Houston's wimpy ones, even though that means the mosquitoes are here for 11 months of the year, the fire ants are here 12 months of the year, and in July through the beginning of September it is too stinkin' hot to even think about working in the garden. I have no clue why anyone moved down here before the invention of air conditioning, but I love it here as long as the a/c comes on faithfully. :-)

The neighbor's ash tree is budding, so the Mexican plum will be blooming very soon. Spring is just around the corner!

I stuffed the little bunny's jacket in her backpack this morning. She didn't need it now, but she might on her way home. There's another chilly front coming through.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:20am CST (33 min ago)
Temperature 64 °F 18 °C
Dew Point 62 °F 17 °C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 29.83 in 1010 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir S 190°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 57.9°F / 14.4°C

Seven Day Forecast Issued 3:00am CST -- Tue, Feb 12, 2008
Today Patchy fog early in the morning. A chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms early in the morning, then showers and isolated thunderstorms in the late morning and afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe in the late morning and afternoon. Breezy. Highs in the upper 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning becoming northwest and increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 80 percent.
Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening then clearing. Much colder. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

We got about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice yesterday. We are getting flurries right now maybe some freezing drizzle later. No electric out of trees down just really bad roads. Most schools called off but our school went I never saw it run on tv that it was cancelled. Kiska our buses don't usually have chains because while the wheather can get rough it dosen't last that long- nothing like yours. I only remember one year they used chains because we had ice for about a month on all the roads thay couldn't do anything with it. MySharon Beautiful picture! Hope everyone stays safe and warm today. I think I will watch the birds at the feeders today.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Early_bloomer, that sounds real exciting!!!
Well, we have a decrease of temperatures today, at last.
It was about 30F.
At least, now I can finally jog on all that mud! Lol.

I hope, I didn't bore everyone with my night shots yet.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
(Zone 3b)

Palmer, Alaska
Updated: 9 min 34 sec ago
17 °F
Snow Freezing Fog
Dark and snowing now at 8am.
Welcome Karrie20X Get well soon.
rann~~love the new flowers; the window is just fine:))
Will get back after gkids are off to school.

The mud tonight.

Hi, Kiska! I think, we two are early birds on the thread. Lol.

(Zone 7a)

Hi! Your shots are beautiful!

The new flowers are, too, Rann. I need to get some, now.

Everyone has nasty weather except us today. Snow tomorrow, though.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Thanks , guys! My DD is back home these days and I am a bit overwhelmed, but I read all about your weather and see all pics.
Kwanjin, Karrie, welcome, love your pics!
It's getting colder here, but look what I found in my garden !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Yea, spring!

I was in my yard not oo long ago and found new grown coming up on all kinds of things. My geraniums, California poppies, tiny daffodils and tulips.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Our temperatures really rose today - it is now 19 degrees and the wind has stopped! It seems so quiet. We have 4 inches of snow that willl not melt tonight. Forecast for up to 1 additional inch of rain, freezing rain and sleet overnight. Does it really rain at 19 degrees?

We had ordered oil today as the tank is only half full and the company said they would bring it out this afternoon.

I saw one of those extra long tractor trailers that haul the long steel I-beams going down our road, very carefully, about 25 miles a hour and wondered if it were possible to take that down around a curve and long incline we locals call "Rabbit Hill". All roads are snow covered and packed pretty good.

The oil company called to say that "Rabbit Hill" on Rt. 209 was blocked due to a tractor trailer across the road. Hmmm. Hope no one was injured.
Supposed to warm up on Thursday into the 30's. Come on spring!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I was going to complain about it only being 36º on my back porch but after reading some of your colder temps, I suppose I'll be glad for what I have. However, if we are trading weather, I'll take Marylyn's 64º!
se_eds: I hope the oil truck gets there before you run out. That would be scary.
Kiska: that was an interesting link to the race. Also, interesting to know that you have to "plug in " your vehicles to keep the oil from freezing!!
Sharon: I should have known what a "phal" is. I have 3 orchids myself! LOL
Rann: your new orchids are beautiful! Good luck with them.
Dyson: come on now--tell us about the new dog. and how are the DHC's doing?
Adina: lucky you--you have daffodils about to bloom! Hooray!!
Celia: lucky you with your new growth, too!
clerkie: watching the birds at the feeder is one of my favorite winter-time 'activities', too. ☺☺☺
George: you're night-time photos are never boring--they are beautiful!

It sounds as if we are all ready for Spring! LOL

(Zone 7a)

Hey, Mau, I was ready in November! LOL

(Zone 3b)

Tonight:
Partly cloudy with a slight chance of snow showers in the evening. Patchy morning fog.
Lows 5 to 15 above. Light winds becoming east 10 mph after midnight.
KG~~seems early, doesn't it? My time zone is 4 hours behind the East coast of USA and 12 behind yours? Makes it seem like a longer day as I log in the morning and it's already noon back east. I'm really enjoying the photos you've posted. So beautiful.
adina~love the new little daffodils; are they on time?
Fog along the Knik River.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PST on February 12, 2008
80 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 35 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the ESE

Thumbnail by Kelli