February Daily Weather#2, Spring is just around the corner!

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's warmed up here too like Alaska - up to 39°F. It's partly cloudy and breezy today - might get a few sprinkles. It's been windy and rainy for the past two days so most of the snow's gone now. More rain forecast for the weekend and into next week as well. Time to get the "rain gear" out for the girls - yuk ...... we like the "snow gear" much better ;-) lol

GREAT photos everyone!

Juri - love your night shots and really enjoyed your old family photos as well :-)

Debi - love the marsh scene and the old beach photo :-)

Joey - JW is so precious :-)

Sharon - beautiful geranium shot and all the others too! :-) I didn't realise that there was a connection to the palmetto palm and palmetto bug ...... although the name should have given it away! lol

Kiska - beautiful photos :-)

Marylyn - happy pruning!

Adina - wow! It looks like springtime is there already! Nice to see so many leaves on the ground..... they make such a nice background to the plants. They've mostly blown away by springtime here; I really wish I could make them stick around ;-) lol.

EB - like Sharon said - "decent" shots? They're stunning! So glad you were there to capture it for us. Looks like a perfect winter day ....... unlike the "southern wimps" (sorry guys - I mean it in a most loving way!) I wish I could have been there ;-) LOL

Pepper and marsue - love your coneflower shots!

Kwanjin - looks cold! Is the snow still there?

Here's an oldie from me - taken in 1973.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin' All! :D We have a temp of 25° & it's Dyson Dark at the moment (OK, I got side tracket w/ my e-mails! ). All is quiet in the house as I sit here sipping my coffee (3rd cup),waiting for DH to get home from work & Garrett has left for school...
At Dublin....
Friday
Partly Sunny
High: 52°
Low: 30°
Increasing clouds with a chance of lt. rain/snow late

Hope Everyone had a Wonderful Valentines day! :D
Thanks everybody for the Awwww's :D
Love the old pics! :D They are all Great!
Rann? is that you? in the ice cave? :D
Juri, Your mom sure is a beautiful lady.
Deb, I would really liked to see the face of your brother...such a cute shot! :D It looks like he is so wrapped up in playing! :D
E_B, I love your favorite place! So peaceful! (and gorgeous, as always)
Kiska, Your hobby is turning out Great! :D You are doing such marvelous things! :D
Sharon, JW was in his high chair playing w/ all his teething rings....having a hoot! :D LOL He didn't know which one to attack 1st! :D
KW? Could that pic been taken around 1970/1971? I remember those short skirts! LOL
Marsue, Your dad was certainly a handsome fella! The rose...a single cut long stem...I don't have a name for it. (from the flower shop)

The answer to the trivia is...
The Tropopause is the upper boundary of the troposphere, which is usually characterized by an abrupt change in temperature.

Todays trivia is...
In late October of 1991, a costly, deadly, yet unnamed hurricane formed off the New England coast. This later was dubbed:
a) Hurricane Jane Doe
b) The Perfect Storm
c) Hurricane X
d) The storm that wasn't

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 7a)

Good morning. The snow is still here. It melted a bit but...today it's only 16º and not expected to get higher than 38º. More snow coming on Sunday or so they say.

It's hard to catch up with everything! The flowers pics a lovely and I love the "oldie" shots.

My guess is...B, The Perfect Storm.

(Zone 3b)

16°F dark and snowing heavily. The warmer weather of the past few days was a wonderful break and tease.
rann~snow sure keeps things "neater" than the rainy days. More fun, too. And, it's looks like you were having fun, too.
Joey~my first cup is in just moments:)) Sounds like you had a nice quiet moment:) Love the pic. B
kwanjin~Fresh snow on the way sounds good.

Thumbnail by kiska
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning, everyone! It's been an... interesting morning here. I was combing the little bunny's hair, getting her ready for the school bus and saw bugs. Ewwww.... So I waved off the bus, called the school (ruining the poor school nurse's day, I'm sure!), and we went down to the pharmacy to get some head lice shampoo. Yuck yuck yuck. She has been scratching her head for a few days, but I didn't think much about it... I have really sensitive skin, so I just assumed I didn't rinse all of the shampoo out of her hair last bath and the residue was bothering her like it would me. It's a good thing we don't have any big plans for the weekend... It looks like we're going to be doing a lot of combing. LOL Praise God, they both have fairly short hair. The big bunny's hair is really thick, though.. I don't see any signs of lice in her hair, but I'm going to dose her anyway. May as well be safe. Have I said Ewwwwww yet?

Other than that, it's a pretty typical Houston day for February... 72° and misting. It's going to rain today and tomorrow and then clear up for Sunday. Looks like the rain will be back on Wednesday.

I hope the rest of you are having an itch-free day! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:35am CST (17 min ago)
Temperature 72 °F 22 °C
Dew Point 64 °F 18 °C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 30.12 in 1020 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110°
Ceiling 1600 ft 488 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 °F 24 °C
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks Trace precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 63.0°F / 17.2°C

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Horrors, Marylyn!

Nice old pictures. I don't have any here. My mom has them all.

Sharon, Santa Ana winds occur more like 2 to 3 times a month, depending on the time of year. Here's the Wikipedia version of what causes Santa Ana winds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_winds (BTW, I have never heard of Santa Ana fog.) Folklore has it that people are more irritable during Santa Ana wind condtions, but I've never noticed a difference.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 15, 2008
60 °F / 16 °C
Clear
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 15 °F / -9 °C
Wind: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 36 mph / 57 km/h / 15.9 m/s

This message was edited Feb 15, 2008 10:00 AM

(Zone 7a)

Ew ew ew, Marylyn! LOL My DD had it years ago. We didn't get all the little egg casings and the Dr. made us do it all again. The shampooings and clothing and bedding washings. This was in the day when you had to get a prescrip. for the shampoo.

Sun is shining brightly out now. Beautiful outside.

(Zone 7a)

I used to live in Santa Ana. I know those winds intimately.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: pretty photo of your mom (although the copyright covered her face)
No itchy heads here, Marylyn, but don't be too upset about the little bunny having head lice. If a child attends day care or school these days they will almost certainly come in contact with head lice. You are correct in treating the big bunny, too, and be sure to wash not only their bedding but their recently-worn clothing and their coats/jackets, etc. Also, any afghans or blankets which they wrap up in while lying around the house. My two youngest boys got head lice when they were in elementary school back in the 70's and I was horrified, not to mention embarrassed. However, we all lived over it and when I finished washing and cleaning, my entire house was probably sterile! LOL The only thing that wasn't scrubbed was the ceiling--a slight exaggeration, of course, but you get the point. LOL
Rann: how cute--such a precious picture of you!
Another gorgeous rose, Joey. I'm guessing "B" for the trivia answer.
Love the snow-covered berries, Kiska, but what is the shiny green thing in the lower center of the photo?
Kelli; I can understand why legend has it that the Santa Ana winds make people irritable. I don't like windy weather, either. It keeps one from enjoying an otherwise beautiful day outdoors.

Today: A few showers this morning with overcast skies during the afternoon hours. High near 50F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%. (We haven't had any rain so far today but I am certain it will be here soon.)
Tonight: Cloudy. Low 36F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Another "old family photo" LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The washer is running, both bunnies have clean heads, the beds have been stripped... I need to vacuum their room and either run their stuffed animals through the washer or bag them up for 2-4 weeks. Katie's going to miss her little friends, but not all of them would survive a trip through the washer and dryer.

That's a great picture, marsue! I don't have any old old pictures... I suppose this one would count as vintage (more than 25 years old), but not as antique. LOL (This is me and my little sister in one of those mall photo booths. Sarah looks one-ish, so this was approximately 1976.)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Snowstorm here all afternoon, just stopped...it's almost midnight and 3 inches of snow! I'll take some pics in the morning.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Froze overnight, but got up to the upper 60s today. I observed from my bedroom window. :(
Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Southwest winds around 5 mph.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds around 5 mph...

Adina: That's a very cold, wintery pic!
Joey: I think that was "the perfect storm". In that photo on the beach, my brother was playing with the camera case. He wasn't interested in the camera. :)
Marsue; Thanks, I'm feeling a little better today. Your dad was definitely a handsome fella!
Kwanjin: Your mom looks like a dancer.
Marylyn: Well, I'm feelin' kind of itchy now! LOL. Love the old photo strip. I have a few of those around here somewhere...hmmm.
Kelli: Windy days make me cranky.

Happy President's Day!
Deb

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Kiska, thanks for the Winter pics!

Marylyn, I cant believe... But better get reinsured!

Marsue, such a vintage! Beautiful lady.

Marylyn, I have one 4pics shot from those mall photo booths with my dumb young face on it. Gotta find one. Lol.

Adina, I'm glad you're blessed with snowy Winter sometimes. It's always fun!

Deb, I hope you didn't get flu!

20F today.
Dry snowfall.)))

This message was edited Feb 15, 2008 7:47 PM

I've found that mall photo booth's shot from the past. I cut off the 2 shots I didn't like most sometimes in the past.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Joey, the answer for trivia is B! It was just perfect, I guess! Lol.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

It was sunny earlier in the day. Cloudy now, but still in the 40's - and still melting........yeah! I am getting Spring Fever!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice warm spring day here - but I know it will not last.

(Zone 3b)

4:30pm and sunny; very bright on the newfallen snow.
13°
Marylyn~~with all you're doing, the bunnies will be fine and this will become but an interesting memory. The mall pics are great.
marsue~the splash of green under the snow, is an electric cord for plugging in the car. Today, the snowplow hooked one of the electric cords and drug it a ways in the driveway; looks ok, though. I love your photo and it reminds of a quilt my mother started in the late 1940's; she and I finished it in 1963, just before I was married; has a wonderful history.
KG~~love your pics, too. Such fun at the mall booth.
Kelli~I hadn't realized the Santa Ana's were that frequent, either.
Deb~freezing, again, your plants are not going to be happy w/the ups and downs:)
Adina~looks good~does the snow cause problems w/traffic?
This is the quilt, Sunbonnet Girl, that marsue's photo reminded me of.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PST on February 15, 2008
61 °F / 16 °C
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 29 °F / -2 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable

We went hiking today. It was strenuous, and IMO, the wind felt good.

The thing out in the ocean is Catalina Island.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Indian paintbrush

Thumbnail by Kelli

pink chaparral currant

Thumbnail by Kelli

fuschia-flowering gooseberry - In case you are wondering, these currants and gooseberries that I see produce dry, tasteless fruit.

Thumbnail by Kelli

the chaparral - as green as Ireland

Thumbnail by Kelli

oak woodland

Thumbnail by Kelli

lichens growing on an oak tree on a north-facing hillside

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold. And Dyson Dark.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli........It sure has greened up there. A far cry from the photos you posted last summer. I must admit I'm a bit jealous of those of you who are posting photos of SPRING!

Rann........Thanks for the compliment. I knew there had to be at least one other person on this forum willing (tough enough) to go along on one of my early morning winter photo excursions.

Deb..........I hope you are feeling better. The flu is hitting hard up here but I've been lucky so far. I did get a flu shot but they say it isn't very effective this year.

Joey...........It is a special place on a cold clear winters day and well worth the effort. It sure is hard to climb out of a warm bed on the weekend and hike in there though.

I'm enjoying the old photos.

It was an overcast and dreary day here until just before sunset when the sun broke through and lit up the ice that still coats most everything. Here are tonights photos.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Farm scene...............as Dyson Darkness settles in.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 16, 2008 12:01 AM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Country road...........

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And finally............last light.

early_bloomer

(Zone 7a)

Somebody mentioned that my mom looked like a dancer. It's funny because she did do some dancing when she was younger. She quit early, though.

I've shared this before and I found out the little girl is my neice, Jean and that would make this shot from about 1985.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Such beautiful pictures, Bloomer! Makes me almost like winter again. Almost.

And the quilt is pretty, Kiska. It reminds me of some little porcelain dolls I have.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous quilt, Kiska! No wonder my "old family photograph" reminded you of the quilt.
Kelli, as usual, your hiking photos point out the rugged beauty of the countryside where you hike.
EB, Those are beautiful winter scenes!
I think our DG weather forum people need to put a calendar together with some of these beautiful photos you all have taken!
Celia, I remember seeing the photo of your niece and the kitty--it is very cute and so expressive of the curiosity of cats!
Marylyn and George: those photo strips from the mall booths certainly bring back memories! LOL

It's 38º on my back porch with a soft drizzle coming down--a good day to stay inside! Wish I had a wood-burning fireplace!! Nothing like wood heat to warm the bones!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi Gang!
Sorry to be away so long.
After 5 months of construction we finally got the new machine up at work.
So it's been one thing after another shaking it down and finding out what we don't have for support......lol!

27° and VERY Sunny and Calm.
Going for 47° and upper 50's for tomorrow.
Then a bit cooler than normal Highs for a coupel of days.
After that it will be a gradual climb back to the 50's for a week at least.
(I Like the gradual part NO windstorms...LOL!)
Looks like Winter's back has finally been broken.

Ric

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pictures Early pretty enough to frame. We are going to get rain today and tomarrow they say it can be heavy- our ground is already to wet but we will take what we get. Tomarrow we might get some snow later in the day. As i was leaving for work this morning I saw my dogs had something odd looking. Turned out to be an armadilo so that is what was digging in my flowers. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

E-B: Someday, I hope to take one photo as pretty as the ones you post! And thanks, I'm feeling a bit better. Hoping to take it easy today and feel great tomorrow!

Started off very cloudy but sun is shining at the moment and it's 60F. In spite of the ups and downs in the temps, the azaleas and daffodils are blooming. :)

Kelli: Thanks for sharing your hiking expedition with us. I love the California countryside.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 3b)

5° nearly 8am and there's a hint of daylight; we're going to Anchorage for the weekend, hockey tournament for the 8 year old gson.
Kelli~the countryside looks great; love walking w/you and E_B.
E_B~thanks for getting out there for us~so beautiful.
Have a great weekend.
Yesterday's sunny afternoon.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

OMG, E_B, your pics are so beautiful! You always find the most beautiful light!
I'll have to find some old pics too, I have a few of my granny.
Today it was so sunny and warmer, so most of the snow has melted.
This morning...
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Hey, Kiska, great pic! It's nice to see the sun in Alaska!
Kelli, your hike pics are always so beautiful !
The pine trees were full of snow this morning in the park.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Deb, a blooming daffodil, wow!
Snow on our house too!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.