February Daily Weather#2, Spring is just around the corner!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This is called Albuca spiralis.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Albuca spiralis--what an interesting plant, Kelli!

(Zone 7a)

What is it related to, and I want one! What zones does it like?

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marylyn – It’s a good thing you sent the bunnies with jackets. There’s been a definite cool down going! I should have taken one myself – that or a light raincoat. :P
Clerkie – Is it still snowing? What kind of birds do you have this time of year?
Juri – Not boring at all! You live a beautiful country!
Adina – Blooms are coming! Stay warm!
Se_eds – Freezing rain maybe? I would think snow though. I like the name “Rabbit Hill”! I hope no one was injured with the road blockage.
Kiska - Great picture! You are getting warmer!
Kelli – Beautiful blooms!

65.1 °F / 18 °C
Light Rain
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/hfrom the South
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2600 ft / 792 m
Mostly Cloudy 3200 ft / 975 m
Mostly Cloudy 4800 ft / 1463 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Now
Through 630 PM...showers and thunderstorms will continue to move north into northeast Florida with the strongest storms moving into southern Alachua...western Marion and southern Gilchrist counties. Other strong storms will move into Waldo...Palm Valley...Ponte Vedra...Taylor and Jasper. Thunderstorms will continue in the coastal waters from Flagler Beach to Fernandina Beach. Strong gusty winds...heavy rainfall and hail should be expected with these thunderstorms. The thunderstorms are moving north at 20 miles an hour.

Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may become severe with heavy rainfall and damaging winds. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 10 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Ok, so this would be one of those nights when I bring my orchids inside!

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=102158

E_B - Here's a picture from September at the beach for you!

Thumbnail by MySharona

According to Dave's, Albuca spiralis is in the lily family. According to a couple other web sites, it is in the hyacinth family. It is native to Cape Province, South Africa, so it is probably not more hardy than zone 9, I'm guessing. It is a winter grower and is summer dormant.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Kwanjin, thanks, expecting more of your garden pics ;)

Adina, your Tulip buds came just in time to save me from doldrums. lol

Kiska, "SMOKE ON THE WATER" (Alaska version) Cool!

Kelli, oh wow, I've never seen the blue Hyacinth yet! The same with Albuca spiralis. Gotta get those.)

MySharona, thank you! That was a very informative link. I was real distressed, though...
Your beach looks kinda sandy, but feels like real warm waters at the season? I got used for more for "pebbly" beaches. Those tone feet anyways.lol

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
(Zone 7a)

The beach pic makes me want to move to the ocean again. (sigh) Well, near it, anyway.

I never get tired of looking at others peoples pics. I'm a very visual person.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Kelli that Albuca spiralis is just too cool with it's succlent spiral leaves. Does it's bloom smell? Thoses Hyacth do. The last of a pot that yielded about 8 fragrant pink Hyacth is fading tonight.
Kiska I believe the plant I refer to as tagets is this http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54284/
When I was a child the mud pies with these little yellow flowers were 2 cents more than plain mud pies.
Thunder and tornado warnings until 11PM, about 3 more hours. The weather is briskly moving up the east coast of Florida.
2 more weeks and most plants get booted out the door. They have been begging me for days to put them outside.
We are expecting a cold snap in about a week. Going down to mid30s.
Stay snug and safe tonight.
Sidney

The spiralis has a little bit of fragrance. You have to put your nose right up to the flower to smell it. It's a good fragrance.

George, the hyacinth variety is "Delft Blue". I planted them a couple years ago. They aren't "supposed" to survive here.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2008 5:24 PM

You have convinced me to plant mine.
;)

Kelli - You have me wanting a Albuca spiralis also! It's beautiful.
Yuri - We have sandy beaches. Makes for a tough run as well.

Now
Through 930 PM...showers and thunderstorms will continue to move north into northeast Florida with the strongest storms between Keystone Heights and Saint Marys. Isolated heavy areas of rainfall will move into Lake Weir in Southeast Marion County and in downtown Jacksonville. Heavy showers continue to move in from the Gulf of Mexico...moving north to northeast at 20 miles an hour. Strong gusty winds...heavy rainfall and hail should be expected with these thunderstorms.

It's pouring outside! No complaints...we need it badly.

(Zone 3b)

19°F; snow's stopped; the driveway is plowed and the sun came out; not bad at all. Spent most of the afternoon "making glass" projects.
sugarweed~~I now know exactly what you mean about the fragrance. And, I see why those mud pies were far more expensive.
Kelli~nice to see the Blue Delft didn't follow the rules; very pretty.
KG~ great title; fits well.
Hopefully you've got the oil delivered by now, se_eds. Was it that truck that held up traffic?
clerkie~~icy conditions cause so many problems; other than fog, it's my least favorite conditions to be driving in. Hope it gets better soon.
MySharona~wow~quite a bit wild weather you've got now. Glad you're happy w/rain.
Window art from a couple of weeks ago; thanks to mother nature.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

i really gotta start getting here earlier!

It was another warm day here. Got to the mid-70s and it's only going to the 50s tonight, but....raining now, and I think that must be the edge of the cold they are predicting for tomorrow night..low 30s. Don't Care!! Spring is definitely in the air.

Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Forgot! Drive-by shot from my little commute down to Beaufort today. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It was bitterly cold this morning but it felt better this afternoon once we got into the 20s. Still cold but not as bitter.

We had some snow this morning though it only amounted to a dusting. I got some pics of it and will try to download them tomorrow. Meant to do it today and forgot. lol

Am enjoying everyone's pictures so keep bringing them on!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sidney and Sharon: it sounds as if Florida is getting the thunderstorms tonight that we had last night. good beach photo, Sharon
George: another beautiful building!
Kiska: gorgeous "window art"!!
Deb, is that sage grass in your photo? I envy you your mid-70's temps!

Everyone is wanting warmer weather so I found an older photo which reminds me of summer.

Thumbnail by marsue

Here are my coneflowers from last year before my kitty decided to make it his personal jungle. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

Pep! I have no words left... I feel back in my childhood again!

Marsue, you too. Such a pics!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sidney,

Quoting:
When I was a child the mud pies with these little yellow flowers were 2 cents more than plain mud pies.

LOLOL!

Kiska – I love your window art – it’s beautiful!
Deb – I fell in love with Beaufort about 25 years ago. Such a pretty area.
Pepper – Zebra Longwings are lovely. I only see a couple in the summer here. I need to get some coneflowers!
Sidney - How did you do last night?

63.5 °F / 17.5 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 17 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006.0 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Few 400 ft / 121 m
Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft / 396 m
Overcast 2700 ft / 822 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy and breezy. Chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds. High 67. West winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

We are close to the high already. The bunnyrainmeter has 1" of rain in it, seems like we received more. The plants are happy and lapping up the rain. We didn't have any warnings on the NOAA radio overnight - that's a very good thing. There are tornado warnings in Putnam, Flagler and St. John's counties which are south of my location.

More beach -

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin'! We have some hefty rain! The temp is 44°, but is supposed to get down into the low 30's or upper 20's by this afternoon.
At Dublin...
Barometer: 29.6 in
Dewpoint: 34°
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 1 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:15 AM
Sunset: 6:00 PM

Can't stay but a sec, so I will give the answer to the trivia....D
Because of its location (and its enormous size) Texas sees 2 times as many tornadoes as the runner up.

Have a great Day! and see you this evening! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The chilly front moved through and it is brisk again this morning. It'll be in the 60s by this afternoon, and back up to 70 tomorrow. We got another half inch of rain yesterday. That makes about 6" for this year so far.

I've been wondering about Lilypon, who we haven't heard from in ages. Pam, if you're lurking out there, you're missed! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (55 min ago)
Temperature 37 °F 3 °C
Dew Point 30 °F -1 °C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 30.20 in 1022.6 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir N 10°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 33 °F 1 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 37.9°F / 3.3°C

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Good morning everyone. Our snow yesterday didn't amount to anything just flurries maybe a little heavier at times. Today we have beautiful sunshine and the temp. is 22 so far this morning. We aren't supposed to get anything until tomarrow- more snow -I don't mind the snow just don't like ice. Our roads are still in rough shape but they still had school. Marsue- we have cardinals they are my fav. and woodpeckers finches doves and some I have never took the time to find out what they are. Of course we also have bluejays also. Kiska- I don't like drivring on ice either the only time I have run off the road was on the ice. I think I will go outside and enjoy the sunshine even if it is cold- my dogs need someone to jump on just as well be me! Hope everyone stays safe....

I think I got a good slow inch here in Jax last night.
I am very concerned with the onslaught of Water Oak leaves falling so they are getting deep in my tiny back yard. I'm concerned this 100' tall massive tree is ill. However I'm usually on the road and dont know what happens here in late Feb., on thru early May.
I think new leaves push off old leaves on the Live Oaks, (name, not condition) but dont know if thats what is happening today.
Nice about last nights rain was it stayed 60º+.
Going to drop tonight though.
I'm enjoying NOT being on the road this spring.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

16°F Light breaking at 8am; it's adding up fast now; sunrise will be just before 9. Continues to warm up and w/that, more snow.
A chance of snow. Highs in the mid 20s to mid 30s.
Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 45 mph by afternoon.
Deb~love the view ~
Sidney~hope your tree is ok~at 100', it would be quite a loss. Glad you are home for sprinttime, too.
MySharona~ the beach/sky is so pretty. Looks like the weather could go either way w/the 50/50 chance.
clerkie~bet the dogs loved being outdoors and jumping:))
Marylyn~~the temp looks just about right to be very comfortable. Have a great day.
Hi Joey~the tulips are gorgeous; see you later.
pepper~bet Mae loves her jungle. Very pretty.
Marsue~ love the springtime pic, too. Thanks/window art.
Not nearly as pretty, just a road.

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Marsue and Pepper, what beautiful coneflowers !
Yuri, beautiful building! Those are daffodils buds, just popped out after a few warm days!
Deb, love that field, great pic!
Kiska, what a large road! Love the frozen window! My daffs aren't in time, it's too soon for them, but it has happened before.
Joey, beautiful tulips ! How's little JW?
Kelli, love your hyacinthus and Albuca spiralis, gorgeous plant! My hyacinthus are popping out too, same color, Blue Delft !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

This is from last spring!

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I simply cannot keep up with this thread! Ummm.... it's Wednesday and I haven't checked the temps. I think it is supposed to be in the 40's. We have blue skies - I should go take a walk.

Oh - cast is off and my hand is ugly (skinny and 3 scabs from the pins). It really hurts. I can type much faster though, and that only hurts a little. Exercises - yuck.

They will only hurt at first. Just bite a paperback book (Much easier on teeth than bullets) and do those exercises.
A friend who broke both legs was doing rehab exercises.
A very pretty rehab gal chided that he couldn't do one thing or another.
He was set back by straining to prove her wrong.
That day he also did enough to qualify him to be 'cured' according to the 'system'.
Just a word to the wise.
t's cloudy and temps are diving.
Sidney

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sidney: Same here, our temps are headed in a downward direction. Big swing from yesterday. Expecting a "mild" freeze tonight - should just touch 32.
Sharon: We had a nice overnight inch of rain last night. Ain't it great? Thanks for the beach shot!
Marsue, Adina: That's a marsh in my car window shot. So it's some kind of marsh grass...not sure what exactly. Oh, and Adina, my hyacynths are at abbout the same stage as yours, they're up but not bloomin' yet.
Karrie: Good lick with your rehab!
Kiska: Cool window fractals. :)

..another road shot from yesterday...
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Curly has a blast in the coneflowers. It didn't take long for the area to literally look like a train wreck. lol.

Today it was nice though I was inside most of the day again. Am having a hack of a time getting caught up on stuff for different reasons. Oh well.

High was somewhere in the upper 30s to maybe lower 40s though I never saw the news or saw the gauge at work so not certain. lol. Lows are gonna be cold. LOL. I am cold sitting here and we have the heat on.

Still don't have the snow pics loaded yet. Gonna try tomorrow to get that done.

Here is another coneflower shot. Same bed, same direction but am in the driveway instead of the yard.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi Everybody! :D We are now down to 24°, have a skiff of snow on the deck, may get a little more. We had some terrible wind the other day that left a lot of people w/out power & some folks in this county & Craig co. (Va.) are still w/out.

Great pics everybody! :D I would love to comment on all of them, but think I need to work somemore on my school work. I finally got my books & have a lot of catching up to do. So I must get back to it.

Adina, JW is doing really well. Back to his normal funny, happy self. (thanks for asking)
Deb, those plants look almost like Yucca.
Pepper, Those are Beautiful Cone Flowers!
E_B ....We didn't get that kind of snow. :( But I do love your view! :D
Kiska, Thanks for the link...Quite interesting! :D

I'll try to post another trivia for you all tomorrow.

Have a Great Evening! :D
Joey

Marsue, here is the rose (of wax) after it opened.

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marsue & Pepper: I forgot to mention earlier how I enjoyed your profusion of coneflowers!

Joey: The plants in the pic are some sort of scrub palm that grows everywhere round here. Probably a sabal palmetto of some variety. Not sure which. :)

Deb

They are indeed the Palmeto State's namesake plant.
;)

I think I'll step out and cover my babies. The temps are diving again.
My babies are tough though.
Going to be 32º in the morning
Sidney

(Zone 7a)

Catching up here. We got hit with a nasty snow storm this afternoon. Took me a long time to get home. I took a step out the front and back and took some shots. The wind was blowing INTO the house.

It's 34º but the 'feels like' is 17º. Wind blowing at 16mph and there is about 6" out there.

#1...bench on the front porch.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

#2...drifts on the patio.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

#3...drift around the hottub.

The snow was gone this morning. Now it's back full force.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2008 11:25 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Joey – Love the tulips! My favorite!
Marylyn – We got your cold front last night. Got a little more rain out of it. I heard the clouds getting squeezed out! LOL!
Sidney – We’re all glad you are home this year!
Adina – I know you’re looking forward to your new blooms! I am too!
Karrie – Rehab is painful, but sooo worth it!
Deb – The one plant that gets on my nerves is the palmetto! They are everywhere and you can’t get rid of them. LOL!! On the plus side, they are always green!
Joey – I need a JW fix! Beautiful rose!
Kwanjin – WOW! That’s a lot of snow! I got a chill just looking at it, especially the drifts!

We got much colder than predicted last night. Suppsed to be 39*, well it's currently 33*. I hope my plants are ok. :(

33.1 °F / 0.6 °C
Clear
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 22 °F / -5 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Today
Patchy frost in the morning...otherwise mostly sunny. High 57. North winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon. Noooooooooooooo....

Taken at dinner last night - restaurant is on the marsh

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.