October Daily Weather # 2.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Kiska,snow looks beautifuland I really love it! We should expect it early this year too,in November,or so the forecast says .
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Such great photos everyone! We still have no fall color here--we haven't yet had a frost. It is 58*F on my backporch right now but it seems cooler than that. The clouds have returned and the wind is blowing slightly so we might very well get more rain later today. After seeing your temp, Kiska, I don't suppose I should complain about being cold--LOL

edited to say that there is still enough soup left for a bowl for me and one for DH and I think I'll go have some right now! :o)

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 1:34 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're back.. Today's appointment was for more x-rays (which the bunny thinks is fun), and a consultation. Man, the surgeon was YOUNG!! I think that officially makes me old. LOLOL He was nice, though. He is going to consult with the orthodontist that he works with and will call me on Friday to tell me what and when they recommend doing the surgery. He thinks that for now they will go in and clean out the cyst, but leave the tooth in and see if it can come up on its own when the cyst is out of the way. He didn't mention the roots wrapped around the nerve thing, though.. We'll see what he says on Friday. :-) Afterward we went to the library and then played in a park until it was time to pick up the little bunny from school. It's a gorgeous day again... It could just stay like this for a couple of weeks (or months) and we'd be very very happy!

Adina, your pictures are gorgeous!

Kiska, yours are cold! LOL I'm a klutz, so I think cleats would be my friend, too, if I lived up there.

I'm glad to hear that Canoga Park is fine.. I hope we hear from Kelli soon. Thanks for asking, Sharon! And thanks for passing the message along, Sidney. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 78 °F 26 °C
Dew Point 45 °F 7 °C
Humidity 30% - The windows are open again!!
Pressure 29.98 in 1015.4 mb
Wind Speed 18 MPH
G 28 16 kts
G 24
Wind Dir NW 320°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 °F 25 °C
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 28 kts from 350 (19:32 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 46.0°F / 7.8°C

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marsue – Glad you got some sunshine! That’s a pretty spot in the lawn. Pull up a chair, have a glass of wine (or whatever) and enjoy the skies!
Dyson – Linux = hfruiqytuhaghjah – (supposed to be Greek to me)! LOL!! I’m clueless when it comes to drives! Did Sue want Lemon cake after dinner? I’m the same way with a “true” Key Lime Pie! It’s mine, mine, mine!! LOL!! I truly hope you hear from your sons soon.
Joey – Thanks! YAY! Rain!! Here’s hoping you get lots more in small doses! Thanks for the link to the puzzles! I LOVE puzzles! Your Fall pics are beeeeyouuuteeeful!
Sidney – So glad you found that post on the CA thread. I was at work and couldn’t check it. I miss Kelli and her dry (no pun intended) humor…still praying for her.
Adina – The storm ended up being not as bad as it looked. Lots of rain, but no “punch” to it. Your Fall pics are gorgeous too! We’re praying for your friend too.
Kiska – I took a pretty nasty fall a couple of years ago. Wish I’d had cleats on then – I still have pains in certain areas resulting from that fall. CLEATS are good! DH and I are tentatively planning a trip to AK around July (esp the Palmer area)! I’m very excited! I’ll have lots of questions for you in the coming months! I can’t wait to see your area and the majestic Mantuska!
Marylyn – So glad your bunny’s appt went well. Hopefully she won’t have to undergo anything major.

67.1 °F / 19.5 °C YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! LOL!
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.82 in / 1009.7 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 900 ft / 274 m
Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Mostly Cloudy 4500 ft / 1371 m

Now
Scattered showers and patchy light rain was located from Interstate 75 in southern Marion County to Putnam Hall and Spuds. Through 645 PM...this activity will move north northeast at 20 miles per hour toward Ocala...Orange Springs...Interlachen...Palatka...and the Interstate 95 corridor west of St Augustine. Rainfall amounts will be light...mostly less than a tenth of an inch.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy until midnight then becoming partly cloudy. Cooler. Showers likely and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s. Northwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

More clouds

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

adina - fall is beautiful there; seems like it happened quickly once it was underway. Very pretty.
MySharona~~how exciting that you're planning a trip up..fly or drive? Look forward to seeing you . Those are some very impressive clouds you've posted. Temp looks good too..Sounds like it was quite a fall you took..
It's now up to 32* at 2:30pm. Cloudy.
MarylynT_X~~so glad you'll have a bit more time to learn more about the dental work ahead for little bunny. Hope all goes well.
edited to make name change from marsue to mysharona:) sorry...but would love to see any of you up here...

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 9:08 PM

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 9:09 PM

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evenin'! I just looked at the rain-o-meter! We've had 1 & 3/4 inches! :D Yippee!

Dyson...I hope that you have gotten this much! :D

Marylyn, Glad that things went well for the bunny today! :D I hope it all turns out well for her.

Thanks Adina...You've got some great color going on there as well! Thanks for the rain, too ;)

Kiska..Will DO! ;D I love that next to last pic! WOW! I have gotta have it for my winter desktop! And your temp is a prime snow fall temp for here! :D

Marsue, When you get the fall color...please post them!

Sharon, Enjoy the puzzles! I wish that they would put up somemore...I've worked them all, already.

Have a good evevning all! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have you seen these, Joey? http://www.allstarpuzzles.com/picture/index.html

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone:
Lots of catching up to do! Big news here. We got 1/2" of rain!!! yay. First time in about 3 weeks. 1/2" down, and only about 18" to go to catch up. :)
I have to stop watering soon because the lake that all our water comes from is getting too low. Really hoping they are wrong about the forecast for a "dry" winter here.

Sharon: I'm with you on the Key Lime pie! It's hard to find the real thing round here.
The PF I have is actually Passiflora incarnata/purple passion flower. Supposed to be hardy to zone 7.
Joey: Congrats on you rain! I guess, D - not as powerful.
Dyson: You getting any more rain? Hope your sons contact you.
Sidney: Thanks for the info bout Kelli's area.
Adina: Gorgeous fall color! Wow!

Currently cloudy and 75. Still a chance for more rain. Fingers crossed!
Only down to 62 tonight. No fall color here for a while. This is the closest we have. Nandina - but it always goes red early.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Joey, I will post some photos of fall color when/if we get any--we haven't had our first frost yet.
I must have lemon ice box pie on my mind because the pics of yellow flowers make me hungry!

Glad the little bunny didn't have to have oral surgery today, Marylyn.

Dyson, sure hope you hear something about your sons in CA soon.

I took this photo of the sunset just a few minutes ago. What makes it different is that this photo is facing East--not West. I was going to take some with a westward view also, but my batteries ran out of "juice".

Current temp on my back porch is 58*F.

edited to say: we cross-posted Deb. Congrats on the rain, maybe you'll get some more of the rain that came through here the last 3 days. great photo, too!

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Another inch of rain from last night and today. We are blessed.

(Zone 3b)

It's 9pm, 31* and been snowing for a few hours.
DebinSC - so glad you've got a bit of a start on the 18" you need. Must be hard to consider not being able to water as much as you need. What a nice shade of pinks/reds going on.
se_eds ~~ happy, too, that it's raining in your area.
marsue~~such a pretty sunset; your yard is great.
Thanks, music2keep; now that it's snowing, the pond will lose some of the character as the snow covers all.
Kiska

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark - lot of rain last evening

56°(F)

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 86%
Wind: 40° (NE) at 11mph
Gusts: 16mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 57°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 72°F
Dew Point: 51°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 2100ft
Heat Index: 55°
Wind Chill: 55°
6hr Precip: 0.76in
6hr Low Temp: 56°F
6hr High Temp: 62°F

Kiska – We’re planning on flying then renting a car. DH loves to drive – I love to sightsee and take lots of pictures! We were looking at doing the Alaskan Railroad, but it looks like a day trip only. We’re still working out the kinks, but Palmer is definitely on! Great picture!
Jeoy – So glad you got a substantial amount of rain! It makes a difference. Love the mum – brilliant yellow!
Deb – You got rain too! YAY! Let me know if you want me to send you a true key lime pie! Or some key limes so you can make your own! Not a problem! Have you been on the passion vine forum? The Nandina is gorgeous – love the color!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/passifloras/all/
Marsue – don’t you love it when the sky turns all pinks and blues? Very pretty sunset.
Se_eds – Congrats on the rain you received as well! We are blessed.
Dyson – Can I stop dancing now? LOL! Congrats on your rainfall as well!
Kelli - We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

63.9 °F / 17.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Patchy fog early in the morning. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 mph shifting to the north in the afternoon.

I am LOVING this weather! We're in store for more rain today. I'm praying everyone get the rain they need. Break in the rain yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning! Lots of catching up to do - wonderful photos everyone!

The wind's blowing at 35 mph, gusting to 51 mph from the south it's raining and 50°F. We're supposed to get a big storm tomorrow and then it's supposed to cool down. Looks like the end of fall tomorrow and then winter's supposed to be here with frost and possibly snow on Saturday. Looks like next week will be cold so it seems winter will be settling in very soon ....... It's been blustery and wet all week, but the temp's been really nice. Not looking forward to the cold at all ..... :-S

Sharon - good thinking to ask about Kelli's area - so glad that she seems to be safe.

Deb- love the jack-o- lanterns. I'm gonna see if I find a pumpkin somewhere and make one for the girls since they're all excited about Halloween this year ;-)

Adina and Joey - gorgeous fall colors! :-)

Kiska - you're just ahead of me but according to the forecast it looks like things will be looking like that over here all too soon ;-) Looks very pretty but I'm getting spoiled with these 50°F temps .......... they feel so much nicer than 30°F! LOL

marsue - beautiful sunset :-)

Sharon - One of my regrets is not trying Key Lime Pie when in FL - I've heard so much about it ;-)

This photo was taken a few minutes ago in my front yard

Hope you all have a great day!

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D Our temp is 58° & the rain-o-meter says 3 1/4! :D It was raining when I went to bed & it's still raining! And I have the cleanest dog in town! :D He normally doesn't like being rained on, but has been out playing in it....gone thru lots of towels playing the "towel dry game"! :D Se_eds said it right..."We are blessed".

Dyson, Do you have a rain guage? I certainly hope that you are getting the amount I'm getting....Last night up on Peters Mtn. 4" was reported.
Kiska, Thanks for taking that pic before it has a substancial amount of snow on it!
Rann, Looks like you have had plenty of the wet stuff & lots of Wind!, but winter coming tomorrow? :-O
Marylyn, I haven't seen puzzles like those before...LOL! Maybe you shouldn't have shown me! I worked on one for an hour last night! and I should have been studying my math! :D
Marsue, what is a lemon ice box pie? It sounds like something I would like.
Deb, I Love the Nandina! Gorgeous! And glad that you have gotten some rain as well..I didn't realize that you hadn't had much rain.....Hope that you get enough so you won't have to ration the water on your flowers! I had to do that, but only because I didn't have time to water everything, so I opted to water just the potted plants (and my one & only Azalea, which is trying to rebloom)

Edited to say..Sharon! I want to go with you!!!

The answer to the trivia is...C
"Heat Lightning" is just a folksy term for lightning that is so far away that you don't hear the thunder.

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

This message was edited Oct 25, 2007 7:57 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Still have not purchased a rain gauge - It is on the list, you know the never ending list.

raining good here

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great photos everyone!
Sharon your sky looks like ours except over here there is no sun peeking through the clouds at all today! and I want to go to Alaska, too! (maybe we could all rent a bus--do you have room for all of us, Kiska? LOL)
Rann: Your front yard is great--love the little bridge. Is that a small pond underneath it?
Kiska: snow--brrrr!
Joey: I will try to find a recipe for lemon ice box pie. It's yummy if you like a pie that is slightly tart. My DH doesn't like them but I do!
Dyson: you were certainly up early! It was "Dyson dark" and raining at 7 a.m. today when I took my granddaughter to school. I'll be glad when the time changes back to standard.
Here's a fashion statement: When I picked up my DGD she had on jeans with big holes at each knee and over the jeans she wore a short little flared skirt with ruffles Her top was a knit shirt with a sweater over it and she was wearing a cute little knitted cap on her head with a knitted flower attached to it and, oh yes, she had on black tennis shoes with green frogs that glow in the dark! . . .and they call that "being in style" Oh, my! LOL but she is really a good kid--musically talented, good grades, goes to church, doesn't give anyone any trouble --so who am I to call the 'fashion police" on her! :o)

No weather pic for today--batteries are out of juice and I haven't bought new ones yet--just ditto Sharon's pic from yesterday. LOL On second thought I think I'll send a photo of my DGD so you can see her for yourselves. This was her school photo in the Spring of 2006.

Thumbnail by marsue
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

What a princess.
I still want to hear from Ric and Kelli.
Cool, high today 76
Sunny, none the less.
Sidney

Rann – Sounds to me like the storm is already there. Winter already! Brrrr!
Joey – You’re showing us up on the “mum front”!! LOL! They’re sooo pretty!
Dyson – LOL! I have one of those lists too!
Marsue - Your ice box pie sounds delicious!
Marsue – Your GD is lovely! Sweet picture!
Sidney – I’m with you – I want to hear from Ric and Kelli too.

75.2 °F / 24.0 °C
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 45 °F / 7 °C
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft / 2743 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Taken this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Would you believe that I have never made Lemon Ice box Pie! Hard to believe because I love it so! LOL My mother used to make it but I have no idea what recipe she used. There is a restaurant in Greenbrier, AR where you can get good old-fashioned "down home" cooking. That is where I go whenever I feel the urge for lemon ice box pie. It is about 40 miles from where I live now otherwise, I would go there and ask Sheila, the cook, for the recipe. The restaurant is called The Green Cow and it is one of those places "where everybody knows your name". Sheila and Linda are the owners and they are sisters. When they have time, they go from table to table saying "Hi" and visiting with their customers. It's a great place! Next time I am over that way I will ask Sheila for her recipe but in the meantime, I went online and found, a TON of recipes, but I thought this one below must surely be the best one! I would not use one that called for using lemonade in it--that would not be a REAL Lemon Ice Box Pie!
I do like meringue on mine. Around our house when I was growing up there was never any problem with the meringue getting hard after being in the refrigerator a day or two--the pie never lasted that long!
Since this was online, I don't think there is any problem with it being copyrighted. I just copied and pasted it here. The note below the recipe is what was online, too. (I don't have a clue who the Parsons are.)

RECIPE
by Carrie May Jones, CEO (Cooker Extra Ordinaire)

Three (3) eggs (room temperature)
One-half cup of lemon juice (fresh is best)
(Micro-waving for a minute or less produces more juice)

One teaspoon grated lemon rind - using the outside only with as little of the white inner flesh as possible (also referred to as zest) Grate lemon rind before micro-waving and/or juicing lemons

One can of condensed milk

Separate the eggs (MAKE SURE no yolk gets into the whites!). Beat the egg yolks well. Add lemon juice and grated rind. Add milk. Mix well. Pour into a Graham cracker crust.

The next obvious step for a lemon ice box pie would be to make and apply the meringue. However, my boy and I have noticed that the meringue gets hard after several days in the refrigerator and we end up taking it off so we can get to the "goodie" part beneath. Besides, that meringue takes up a lot of valuable space which could be totally occupied by the "goodie" part so we instruct our cook to forget the meringue, double the goodie part (listed above) and bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes. If we want something on top, we will use some instant topping such as Cool Whip, Whipped Cream, Dream Whip, etc.

But for those of you who want that better-eat-it-quick-before-it-turns to-concrete meringue topping, here is the recipe:

For the meringue topping:

Three (3) egg whites from the above 3 separated eggs
One tablespoon water
A pinch of salt
One-fourth teaspoon cream of tartar
Five (5) tablespoons of sugar

The three (3) egg whites should be beaten in the large mixer bowl. Add one tablespoon of water and a pinch of salt. Beat on high until foamy and add one-fourth teaspoon cream of tartar. Beat until stiff. Add one tablespoon of sugar at a time (Mix well each addition) until 5 tablespoons have been added. Fold in one teaspoon of vanilla. Cover the top of the pie with meringue. Bake at 350 degrees F. until the top is a golden brown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This recipe is courtesy of Miss Carrie May Jones of Somerville, Tennessee. She is a good friend of the Parsons' family and is a retired Home Demonstration Agent for the Tennessee Agricultural Extension Service. She graduated from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville in 1940 with a B.S. in Home Management. She taught Home Economics in Friendship, Tennessee for 10-15 years, was Home Demonstration Agent in Dresden (Weakley County), Tennessee, for two years, and then finished her career as a Home Demonstration Agent in Somerville (Fayette County), Tennessee, from October 16, 1964 until March 31, 1985. She began a treasured friendship with the Parsons' family when she baked the refreshments for a bridal shower for Carolyn Tapp who became Mrs. Jerry Parsons on December 18, 1966. She and Jerry Parsons have collaborated on many of the recipes on PLANTanswers and we thank her for her guidance and cooking-recipe translations over the years.

Hi everyone! You couldn't believe what just happened: while posting on the CAfire thread,I found another Romanian who is living in US! I'm so thrilled !
Also, I'm worried about Dyson,who posted there about a boy with long hair..is that your son,living in CA?
Kiska,wonderful picture!
Marsue,your DGD is so beautiful!Thanks for the recipe,sounds yummy!
Rann,your garden looks great,so many colors!
Marylyn,I hope your little bunny is OK!Any news about the young vet?LOL
Gramma Joey,wonderful mums!Glad you 've got rain !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: I'm hoping we won't get to the rationing or restriction stage ( as they have in GA and parts of NC). I haven't watered the lawn at all this season, or washed my car (it looks great ;>), but I have watered the plants and beds.

Rained around town today, but my rain guage still says 1/2". Good chance in the forecast through tomorrow tho.
Kinda cool, didn't get out of the 70s today. Upper 60s now.

Sounds like all of us may be moving into a wetter pattern. It's be great if it'd rain in so. Calif.

Deb

Marsue – Thanks for the recipe - looks yummy!
Adina - That’s so exciting that you found a fellow countryman in the CA thread! Gorgeous pic!
Deb – Hope you’ve received more rain!
Dyson – You too!

Edited to change Kiska to Adina - LOL! Yesterday was a long day!

Lets all go to Kiska's in July!!

69.4 °F / 20.8 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 3800 ft / 1158 m
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft / 2133 m
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft / 2743 m

Now
Through 830 PM...a narrow band of light showers and patchy rain will move to the area from Fernandina Beach southwest through Jacksonville to Green Cove Springs...Interlachen...and Ocklawaha. A few sprinkles may be felt along the Georgia coast. More showers and rain are moving in from the south. Rain will be approaching the villages and southern Marion County...while a band of rain and showers will move north along the coast moving toward Flagler Beach and Palm Coast.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Lows in the lower 60s inland...in the mid 60s coast. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the north after midnight.

Almost missed this sunset tonight!

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 5:42 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great photos, Adina and Sharon
Adina I am glad you found a Romanian friend in CA.--perhaps she will join this thread, too..

If any of you bakers actually make that lemon ice box pie, please let me know how it turns out for you. I would try if myself but as I said earlier, DH doesn't like the tart taste of it so I won't make a whole pie to have around just for myself--too much temptation! LOL
A really good lemon ice box pie should be sort of semi-transparent--not opaque like a cocoanut pie is. That's the best way I know how to describe it. Wish I had a picture of a piece of that pie to show you. LOL

Here's our forecast:
Tonight: Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. Low 43F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Tomorrow: Showers in the morning, then partly cloudy in the afternoon. High near 60F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Tomorrow night: A few clouds. Low 43F. Winds light and variable.

The sun is supposed to shine upon us again on Saturday with all next week being lovely autumn weather once again. Hooray! We have certainly had enough rain for awhile. I wish I could say the same for those of you who need it so badly.
Have a good evening, everyone! --and thanks for the compliments on my DGD.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu! Well...Sharon! :D Me thinks you have danced a little too much! :D My rain-o-meter says 4 & 7/8 inches! I might add that there's not much run-off either! I haven't seen any puddles anywhere! But that's ok...I've been "singin' in the rain"! :D and there's more in the forecast.

Deb, I could send you some water!... :D
Dyson, Are you floating yet? :D Did you find your son? I really hope so.
Thanks Sharon, I'm glad that you didn't miss that sunset! Wow!
Thanks Marsue, the pie sounds scrumpteous! And your DGD is so pretty! :D
Thanks Adina, Glad that you found a "compadre"! from Romania! Love the fall color! in that tree! :D

Kelli!! ??

Have a good evening - All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

It's nearly 7pm, so I'm sure it's nearly midnight, or later, in many places.
Dark, wind warnings, 36* was the high, as it is now. It snowed last night and is in the forecast tonight, w/rain...a real mess.
Wow~~here in July - who knows?
MySharona - in my opinion, the train is a must do somehow..there is nothing like the Alaska RRoad; you can take a trip from Anchorage to Whitter, take the Prince William Sound boat tour, then return to Anchorage the same day. (and you get to go through the tunnel)>
You could go from Anchorage to Spencer Glacier, and return, in the same day.
The web site, if I recall, alaskatravel, has lots of idea.
marsue~ your GD is beautiful.
Loved seeing everyone's day through pics.
m2k~ I can just picture Jack having a great time as you play the towel game..Bet it was entertaining, too, to JW>
rann - sounds like quite a change headed your way. love your yard and the bridge is still a favorite of mine.
DebinSC- just wanted to mention that I really liked your pumpkin path, very cute.
taken a few days ago at the Matanuska River.
Kiska

This message was edited Oct 25, 2007 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 52°(F), Rain

Wife 1 emailed and let me know the boys are ok She is flying out to Ca to visit them this weekend. Hope she tells them to email me.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 93%
Wind: 30° (NNE) at 6mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.27in
Yesterday's Precip: 2.15in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 52°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 57°F
Dew Point: 52°
Visibility: 3mi
Ceiling: 1600ft
Heat Index: 54°
Wind Chill: 54°
6hr Precip: 0.18in
6hr Low Temp: 53°F
6hr High Temp: 54°F

Edited to add - Now we are under a flood watch? Sharon you can stop dancing now.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 3:02 AM

Marsue – I’m going to make your pie and will let you know how it tastes – sounds delicious! I love tart fruit pies!
Joey – I stopped dancing 2 days ago – I was whipped! LOL! The rain is just making up for lost time, esp since there aren’t any puddles. I bet Jack had a grand time playing in the rain. Prissy loves the towel game too – she gets that “fierce” growl and shakes her head – the snorts (Boston’s snort a lot!)! Love that little pink flower!
Deb – Are you getting any more rain?
Kiska – Sounds like you had a nasty weather night. A perfect night to sit by the fireplace with a hot toddy! I’m going to tell DH about the RR; it sounds like fun to me. Thanks for the link! Winter is there, no doubt about it!
Dyson – So glad your son’s are okay. I truly hope they contact you asap. We’re praying for you and them.

65.5 °F / 18.6 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 63 °F / 17 °C
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m
Overcast 3300 ft / 1005 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Showers likely in the morning...then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

It's ben raining/sprinkling off and on since yesterday. We've had over 1" of rain and there aren't any puddle to be found. That's what I love about a good slow soaker. It's Florida/Georgia (85th Annual) weekend again a/k/a The Worlds Largest Cocktail Party (we're so proud). We are surrounded by Gators and Bulldogs this week and weekend. The crowds started pulling into RV City last Saturday. These people are serious! They come from all over and wreak havoc on our little island. For the most part we rarely have any problems, but we tend to stay off the roads as much as possible.

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Recreation+and+Community+Services/Special+Events/FlaGa/default.htm

Another picture from last night

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Sharon - you were right - the storm blew through yesterday and last night. It's much "calmer" now ;-) Only 11 mph winds from the south, 40°F and the sun's out. We had some rain and SLEET this morning! There's still a storm warning on though so we'll have to see what they'll dish out next. We've really had enough of rain and wind ! LOL

Marsue - thanks. The lemon pie sounds delicious. I've never had meringue turn hard ..... strange. It always turns softer after a few days in the fridge ......

Great photos everyone!

Dyson - glad your sons are OK :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

7:15 am purchased rain gauge

7:40 am drove stake into ground

7:45 am mounted rain gauge on stake, rain gauge operational.

I think I am gonna have to find something that will float and is very visible so I can check the gauge w/a pair of binoculars without leaving the house. I had to put it out by the garden beds because of the dense tree cover near the house.

8:45 1st hour - ¼ in. of rain, I found the smallest fishing bobber in the tackle box and dropped it into the gauge. I cannot get an accurate reading w/the binoculars but I will be able to see when it needs to be emptied.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 8:49 AM

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Dyson, what a great idy.
It's 66º.
Highs in the mid 70s today coming from the south, but later will be coming from the NE. We're in for a long wet week-end.
Gonna get down to the 50s at night.
I'm praying still that Kelli and Ric are okay/
;)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good morning, everyone!
The sun peeked out for a few minutes this morning but found a cloud before I could get a photo. More rain forecast for today! BUT starting tomorrow we are supposed to have several days of sunshine once again. (I think I said that in earlier post.)

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CDT

Cloudy
Feels Like: 50°
Barometer: 30.07 in and rising
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 7 mi
Dewpoint: 48°
Wind: WSW 7 mph
Sunrise: 7:23 am
Sunset: 6:20 pm

Dyson, glad you heard that your sons are okay.
Joey, great flower pic!
Sharon, you take the greatest photos of sunsets!
Rann: looks like the leaves are about gone from your trees. Ours are just barely starting to turn.
Kiska: I'll say it again: Snow!---brrrr!

I was going to take a photo of the sunrise but the sun disappeared before I could get out there with my camera. Instead I took this photo of 12 long-stemmed red roses---:o)) on my Velvet Toreador rose bush, that is. This is after 4 days of rain, too! Great rose, that Velvet!

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 5a)

Oh Wow Marsue -that is pretty :-) Yes the leaves are mostly gone now - they were blown off waaaay too early I think this year ....... hardly had time to turn color some of them.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Speaking of leaves ...... just noticed a single Maple leaf, plastered to one of the kitchen storm windows by the rain, not a perfect leaf by any means, but fairly symmetrical, with interesting colors, a light orange on the outer edges darkening closer to the center. Now If I could figure out this danged hillbilly camera you could see it also.

Dyson,glad your sons are OK!Please,take that pic!
Sharon,wow,your first picture seems like a painting!
Rann,such a clear sky,it must have been cold!
Marsue,your rose is still blooming, great!
Kiska,wonderful snow!
Cloudy here today,but warm -only 42 in the morning,but 64 at noon.
More fall pics from the park.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

adinamiti - did I miss any letters? - Your pic is a keeper. I've got 500GB in storage space, but it fills so fast. Got to start burning dvd's.

Rann – How has your day been? Were there any storms? Sleet = Brrrrr! Lookslike Old man winter is settling in : (
Dyson – You’re cracking me up! Dh loves the description of the rain gauge, the bobber and the hillbilly camera! LOL!!
Marsue – The rose bush is glorious! WOW! I bet they smell as pretty as they are!
Adina – WOW! Great picture!! Such pretty colors! Thanks – at least I got 2 really good pics of the way the sky just lit up all soft pink. Feel free to use as background!

68.4 °F / 20 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 1300 ft / 396 m
Overcast 5000 ft / 1524 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Lows in the lower 60s. North winds 5 mph.

We didn’t get to 70* today. OMG - it was cloudy and rainy and breezy and cool – I loved every single minute of it! And had a great hair day to top it all off! LOL!! One more - the rest aren't that great.

Kelli - Ric - Where are you?!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It has been raining for three days straight. Boy could we have used some of this this past summer. But we will glady take it now to replace our ground water supplies as we are on a well. I had sowed grass seed last Thursday, right before we got an inch and one-half of rain. It is up and growing. We have got an additional 2 inches since then. The daylilies are green and glowing and making increase they couldn't do this summer. It is Dyson dark, grey and chilly out there currently 53 degrees - has been that cool all day. We are scheduled to get an additional inch of rain tonight and tomorrow morning. I wanted to spread lime today but couldn't do it in the pouring down rain. Even the clematis vines are putting out new growth - but they will soon be killed by frost. It is 2 weeks late already.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Just have a minute to check in.
Well, it's rained off and on all day, but only added about 1/10" to the gauge. Of course, that's 1/10" more than we had the previous 3 weeks, so I'm happy! :)
Currently 65F and cloudy.
Deb
PS/Dyson, so glad you heard news of your sons.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Great photos everyone!. It's good to see that many of you are getting some much needed rain. It's been rainy here the past couple of days as well. The fall colors are peaking here now, and I see Joey is finally getting some color in WV as well. The full moon has been gorgeous the past 2 nights. Hopefully, Kelli will check in soon.

Photo: Yesterdays sunset::

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.