Visibility: 8mi
Ceiling: 2800ft
Heat Index: 64°
Wind Chill: 64°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 68°F
6hr High Temp: 71°F

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb – I love all the pumpkins and how the window casts an orangey light!
Se_eds – I need to start planting daylily’s. I’ve become addicted to them!
Marsue – I’m glad your brother is safe. Please keep us posted, 7 miles sounds pretty darn close to me too. Veggie beef soup sounds good. I wasn’t feeling well yesterday and had chicken noodle for breakfast! LOL!
Pepper – I’m glad you got some sleep; life will be calm again soon.
Joey – Your mums are looking good! Mine are budding, but no blooms yet. I’m very surprised at the answer, but if you think about it “hot air rises”! Duh!

75.6 °F / 24.2 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 75 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1100 ft / 335 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m

Today
Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

It was a dreary gloomy day here yesterday. If it wasn’t raining then it looked like it should be raining. The bunnyrainmeter recorded 1” yesterday. We’re looking at record heat (90*+) today. That giant whining sound you heard was Me with a good dose of pouting in the middle! :P

I hope my poinsettia blooms a lot this year! It's about 5' tall now.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

It is raining here now - light rain, but better than no rain!

Edited to add - the solar porch floodlight is still holding up.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2007 6:23 AM

Happy Birthday Marylyn!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Gee! The temp went UP! It is now 65* & getting lighter outside.

Happy Birthday Marylyn!!! :D

Dyson, Glad that it's Raining! :D I think & hope that we get more today! :D Glad the solar light is holding up so you can see the rain in the Dark! :D
Sharon, I hope your Poinsettia blooms profusely! and I can't wait to see it! :D
Marsue, We have very humid summers here as well, but I have noticed that you can see that the humidity rises to the tops of our many ridges & looks like clouds. I get my trivia info from the local tv weather service.
LOL! Dotti! I have done cross-posted so much it has now become funny! :D
Marylyn, This morning on NBC they were also talking about northern L.A. county, but I do believe that the devistation in the San Diego area is more extensive...We can only hope & pray that she is OK.

Todays trivia question is...
What do meteorologists call lines of constant pressure on a weather map?
a) Isobars
b) Isotherms
c) Isodrosotherms
d) Isotachs

Have a Good Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday to Marylyn in Texas from this Marilyn in Arkansas!
Joey, gorgeous photo of fall color! My mums are still budding--should be blooming soon. I'm saying the answer to the Trivia Question is A.
Dyson, is it always dark in WV? LOL
Sharon, hope you are feeling better today and won't have to eat chicken noodle soup for breakfast! Beautiful poinsettia! Do take another pic for us when it blooms. I had 3 poinsettias in pots inside at my other house but left them for the new owner. Still kicking myself for not bringing one of them with me but I didn't think I would have room for them over here--this house is smaller than the other one and we had to sell some furniture, etc. It wouldn't all fit into this house. that's okay with me--the other was too much to keep clean.
Temp on my back porch at 7:45 was 50 degrees. More rain forecast for today. Wish we could share it with the folks in California and Georgia who need it so much more than we do!
This is a pic of my brother's house in CA.

Thumbnail by marsue
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Birthday to all that I have missed...sorry, just kinda' dozed through them.

Looked up Kelli's addy on google...25 miles NW of downtown L.A. Sure hope she's not affected by fire or smoke!

Here's an awesome link to the Univ of Wisc. showig the fires from satallite.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/2007/10/22/wildfires-in-southern-california-part-2/

Some rain off and on here, temps down to high 80's daily, but humidity running about 90%. Need to take a walk in bathing suit! LOL

~~~~~ to all, now dozzzzzzzzzzzzing off again.
Pati

Rain

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday,Marylyn ! I wish you have a wonderful day !

Sounds awerful what's happening in CA,LA and San Diego ! I hope Kelli is OK !

Joey, how wonderful about little JW,learning to laugh out loud !Looking forward to see the pics !Beautiful mums !

Sharon,what sweet kitties!Your poinsettia looks great!Mine aren't so bushy, but I hope they bloom beautifully too!

Deb,I see you're getting ready for the Halloween !Such fun!

Kiska,beautiful ice floes! 38!?Brrrrrr!

Rann,that far is the store? More opportunity for getting pictures !LOL

Marsue,your brother's house is beautiful !I hope the fire doesn't reach it !

The trees are turning here ,but I couldn't take any picture because of the bad weather. Hopefully,tomorrow the rain will stop.It stopped today for a few hours too and the sun came out of the clouds. At least is getting warmer.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Joey - You are getting some color changes! Very pretty picture!
Marilyn - Your brothers house is veyr pretty! I truly hope he is safe from the fires.
Pati - Thanks for the link! I didn't think to google Kelli's address. We're praying for her.
Adina - Love the daisy's - they're so happy!

85.7 °F / 29.8 °C
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 14.0 mph / 22.5 km/h
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 92 °F / 33 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

This Afternoon
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon - shame on you for spoiling that cat like that. Pretty soon you will be letting it sleep indoors!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL Dyson!

Thank you, everyone! So far I'm having a busy but good birthday. :-) The weather couldn't be even a little nicer! It is beautifully clear, the humidity is amazing low (for Houston.. Blooms with a View would probably think it was pretty muggy! LOL) and 68° with a slight breeze. Gorgeous.. Now that I'm home from running here there and everywhere, I need to go around and open all of the windows.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (14 min ago)
Temperature 68 °F 20 °C
Dew Point 35 °F 2 °C
Humidity 29%
Pressure 30.13 in 1020.4 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH
G 28 14 kts
G 24
Wind Dir WNW 290°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 26 kts from 320 (19:10 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 48.0°F / 8.9°C

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Birthday Marylyn!!! May you have a year of 'just right' weather.
Pati according to this map those fires may be right there at Kelli's door. I pray she and all that she loves is/are okay.
Sally great to see you back. Is retirement too hard on ya'll?;)
Sunny, 76.
Sidney

This message was edited Oct 23, 2007 5:10 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Thanks Sugar. This is the thread over on the CA Forum.....really sad reading. I'm sure they would appreciate all the T & P they can get.
Pati
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782824/

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marilyn: Hope you're still having a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Joey: I'm saying A, Isobars.
Adina: Love those perfect little daisies.
Dyson: Happy to see you had some rain. If you get to the point where you have enough, send some south, will ya?
Sharon: Great big ole Poinsettia. Can't wait to see it bloom. I have recently received some passiflora seeds. I know you have an amazing one. Do you know if they will grow in part shade?

Felt like still summer here today. Hi was 85. Low tonight 69.
Clouded over several times. Nothing fell out of 'em, tho.
Dyson Dark and 81. Breezy.

Kelli: Hoping you have no fire near your house!
Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Heard the rain was heading Dyson's way today.

High 60s and sunny today. Very nice. Tonight will get down to mid 40s.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening All! Well, not much to tell, except we haven't had much rain....mostly sprinkles. Dyson, I hope you are getting rain....Bluefield said that we are 9 inches below norm & they have had more rain than we have had. I did, however find some color coming home from school today! :D

Still Really Worried about Kelli...

Adina, Thanks...

Marsue, Thanks...

Kiska, is your sister all right? I know that she lives in Ca., but I don't know where. Very concerned for those folks out there.

The Answer to the trivia is...A
Isobar maps help meteorologists see where storm systems are centered and where fronts are.

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

33*, dark and snow coming this way...
Joey - what a beautiful picture; reminds me of a jigsaw puzzle I did many years ago. My sister, SacValley, is in Northern California, so is a few hundred miles from the fires. So sorry for all the displaced families and losses so far..
Happy Birthday Marylyn -- it's probably already tomorrow there, but not yet here:)
Dinner is ready;
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson – LOL!! Glad you are getting some rain.
Marylyn – Sounds like you had a great day!
Deb – Some pf’s do like partial shade. I have one (still small p.careaula) that prefers morning sun/afternoon shade. What kind do you have?
Pepper – Ahhhh – the temps sounds wonderful!
Joey – GREAT pic! Give JW a big smoochie for me :) We're praying you and Dyson get some rain soon.
Kiska – Brrr! Is that the Mantuska? So glad your sister and her family are safe from the fires.
Kelli - Our thoughts and prayers are with you - be safe.

74.8 °F / 23.8 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 29.82 in / 1009.7 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 74 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1700 ft / 518 m
Mostly Cloudy 3900 ft / 1188 m

Now
Through 730 am...scattered showers will continue across the area... with an isolated thunderstorm possible. Showers will be most numerous along an axis from Brunswick to Jacksonville to Gainesville. Rainfall amounts through 730 am will generally be a quarter of an inch or less with locally heavier amounts.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Not as warm. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the west in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

We're going thru some changes here. We'll be cooler as Marylyn's front comes through our area (Thank you Marylyn)! Made lasagne last night for company - mmm mmm good! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good morning, all! Great pics, Kiska, Joey and Sharon.

It's overcast this morning with more rain predicted. I feel guilty reporting on the rain we've had here because there are so many across the country who need it so badly. I'll not even complain about the black spot on my roses--they'll live over it!
The temp dropped throughout the day yesterday--I had to wrap up in a blanket last night--the chill was getting through to my bones and yet we didn't want to turn on the heat quite this early.
The home-made soup was good again yesterday. We'll finish it off today.

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CDT

Light Rain
Feels Like: 48°
Barometer: 29.94 in and steady
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 46°
Wind: W 8 mph
Sunrise: 7:21 am
Sunset: 6:22 pm

I pray that all who need rain will get rain.
Have a good day everyone!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! I'm glad our cool weather is heading your way, Sharon. It was colder here than at my parents' house in Ohio yesterday, which always amuses us. It's going to be another nice day today, although the humidity is up quite a bit. My big bunny (age 6) has an appointment with an oral surgeon today. There is a baby molar that has never come up in her mouth. We had a dentist appointment last month and he took an X-ray and found it in her jaw. Its roots are wrapped around a nerve and there is a cyst forming around it, so it has to come out. (sigh..) I'm not looking forward to this at all. It's considered a dental procedure, so our medical insurance won't cover it. Grrrr....

Praying for Kelli and the rest of the folks in California...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (58 min ago)
Temperature 46 °F 8 °C
Dew Point 39 °F 4 °C
Humidity 79%
Pressure 30.12 in 1020.1 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir W 260°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 45.0°F / 7.2°C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 50.0°F / 10.0°C

Marylyn - All of my wisdom teeth wrapped their roots around my jaw. I had to go through 2 surgeries to get them as well as 2 baby molars removed. I feel for your bunny; it's not fun, but she'll be fine!

Luckily at the time mine was covered by insurance.

Still praying Kelli and her place are okay.
Its in the 70s here with a mist.
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I am on a Linux drive, haven't figured out how to get the wx channel desktop to work w/it yet, the batteries died in the remote temp thingy on the back porch so I have no idea what the temp is - I refuse to fire up a television to find out.

It is comfortable w/the windows open and a small fan in one of them. It is very overcast and I am hopeing for some more rain (not to be greedy but still need water).

Dyson, what's your zip?
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's WU's report;
Smith Mountain Lake @ Hales Ford Bridge, Moneta, Virginia
Elevation: 825 ft / 251 m
72.2 °F / 22.3 °C
Overcast
Dew Point: 68 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h from the ESE
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph / 4 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Rising)

That seem about right?
How's the hip?
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

72 outside and w/the fan I've got it down to 78 inside so far, it was 80 when I got up at 3 am. The hip is okey unless I try to work on something that is too low to the ground, when I get into the wrong position it will and does "talk" too me - basicly it lets me know how dumb I really am for trying that. Other than that I am busy praying for rain, trying to sort out some of the mess this place has become (lots of dumpster trips) etc.

Boredom initself is an issue, We shall endevor to persavere.

Edited to say: I am going to switch back to a windows HD so I can play a game (S).

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 10:09 AM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, make a liar out of me, will you sunshine! I had no sooner made the post above till the clouds started breaking up and the sun came out!! Now it is partly cloudy and the sun has found another cloud to hide behind but that's okay. It's good to know that it is still up there--LOL!

Sorry about your little bunny, Marylyn. I feel for her!

Here's a pic I took right after the sun came out.

Thumbnail by marsue
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! We have had a nice, gentle rain almost all night. And we're supposed to get more of it today....justed started back up. The mums & birds are lovin'it! ;D

Dyson, I hope this rain we're getting will make a big difference for you.
Thanks Sharon...I gave JW a big "smoochie" for ya & he gave me one of those toothless grins! :D And I love the pinks & blues in the last pic! Wow!
Thanks Kiska...I'm glad that your sis is not in harms way. I Hope the winds die down there soon. Is there fish (Salmon) in the river? :D Love that pic! :D ( I love jigsaw puzzles too- http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/yourshot/jigsaw-puzzle.html )
Thanks Marsue...Looks as if the sun is Brightly shining at your house! Your grass is so Green! Maybe ours will be green after this great rain. :D

Todays trivia is...
Why don't you hear any thunder after "heat lightning"?
a) It's too warm outside
b) It didn't strike anything
c) It's too far away
d) It's not as powerful

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Just finished the last of the lemon cake - not too bad for store bought - wounder what Sue will have for dinner this evening?

70°

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! Dyson! You didn't save her any?!! :D I hope that she wasn't counting on haing some this evening! :D

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

She will find something to eat. I'll probably fire up the grill for hamburgers - that way we may get some rain.

Sharon was so smart and ask about Canoga Park on that Ca thread.

Quoting:
MySharona - Canoga Park is fine. The air is full of smoke but no fire near there. Canoga Park is a ways from any danger.

So far we have one friend that has lost a home in Running Springs. He was out of the country on vacation till yesterday. He lost everything.

Has anyone heard from wcgypsy

Just felt such relief reading that I had to share.

Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I still want to know where my sons are - I have not seen either of them since the oldest Kenny's HS graduation in ..... '98 I think, sent Dennis some money for a bus ticket out here from Ca. .... no show, does not matter if he is ok, they could call collect, if they could get my number (gave it to them long ago). Will just wait as if there was more I could do. Do not have their mothers number but can email her.

Edited to say - emailed her - waiting reply.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 12:38 PM

Hi everyone - I just wanted to post our weather really quick - have to run back to work. SO glad Kelli's area isn't in danger.

I'll post more later

68.5 °F / 20.3 °C WooooooooHooooooo!!!!!! LOL!!!
Light Rain Mist
Dew Point: 65 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 800 ft / 243 m
Mostly Cloudy 1200 ft / 365 m
Overcast 3000 ft / 914 m

Now
Through 215 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms continue to move north through the Florida Peninsula into southeast Georgia. The heaviest activity will move into Orange Park...the Westside and downtown Jacksonville. Thunderstorms have also moved into the nearshore coastal waters east of Ponte Vedra Beach...Jacksonville Beach and Saint Simons Island. The showers are moving northeast at 20 miles an hour.

Clouds....Dyson & Joey trying to send to you!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Thanks Darius. I was just over there and saw that too. If you remember we used to have fires in the Smokies, but never lost homes etc. like they do in CA. Just give me a hurricane anytime! It may blow your roof off, but at least you have something to start over with. Those fires just devastate everything, even the earth.

((Dyson)) hope you hear good news about your sons soon.
Pati

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sharon, so far today I have had a 1/2" of rain! :D Please send More! :D We need about 8 1/2 more inches! (but not all at once)

Whew! I am so glad that Canoga missed it!

Dyson, hope that you here from them soon...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Joey,wonderful trees on those hills!
Kiska,that pic of the river is so beautiful !
Sharon,what a terribles torm! Did it come to you ?Love Boo's new place !
Pati,thanks for posting the link.I hope everyone is safe back there!One of my DG friends,who is no longer a subscriber,peterson89,was very concerned yesterday about the fires who were approaching her home. I haven't heard from her today!Just praying for her and her DH to be safe !
Our weather is better now,the clouds were gone today and the sun was shinning.I had to go and take some shots.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 3b)

Good morning - 10am ~~ 30*
Snowed last night and now that the ground is freezing up, icy conditions are here. Even the deck is too icy now, for me, w/out ice cleats. I've really become cautious in the past couple of years of the ice; it's everywhere underfoot and so, cleats are my new friends for the next few months. (can't believe it's come to this:))
The news of the fires is just devasting; so many affected by them, it's hard to comprehend those numbers.
marsue - what a beautiful yard you have; the brick work is so nice. And, I'm sure the soup has been great; time to start a new one?
Dyson~do hope you hear from your sons -
MySharona - 68 sounds positively wonderful...nice clouds pic, too. It is the Matanuska River; hope you can come see it for yourself someday.
music2keep - as long as you're passing out smooches to JW, I'll take one too, please:) Those baby grins are the best. Yes, salmon do run in the Matanuska River, in a few months from now.
Marylyn_TX- The procedure will be but just a memory soon, but in the meantime, please let her know there are people all over the country that wish her well..
adina - what a beautiful photo; sure hope you hear that all's well w/your friend.
Thanks, sugarweed, for the update.
Iced over pond, taken a few days ago, before last night's snowfall and from here on out, will be snowcovered.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Hey,Joey, beautiful picture!Sending from Romania lots of rain too,we have floods up north!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.