August Daily Weather #III Summer's winding down!!!

(Zone 3b)

57*; mostly cloudy, no wind. 10:30am.
Blooms, your description of the foggy mist on the cliffs sounds wonderful. Love the mailbox and sunflowers, too.
Marylyn_TX- Have a good school day tomorrow. This morning I went to see my 5 year-old gson off to his first day of school..he was soo excited. Are you/the girls ready for both?
Deb- time does seem to take on a life of it's own the older I get:)) Glad you've had some more rain.
rann - sure sounds great w/no wind; enjoy the moment:)
MySharona - thanks, Sharon; Dall sheep seem to thrive here, but I've never seen any during the winter so not sure where they hang out.
Very pretty sky country there; the passing storm sounds exciting.
Joey - tossing out another wild guess: D/1983. Pretty blue sky and fluffy white clouds there in your area...the Fairbanks team is not a "huge" rival. That would fall to the nearest town of Wasilla.
jordankittlyjo - hope you get the needed rain today, or soon.
Wanda - that is just gorgeous, and, it's on it's own; perhaps it needs a home? very pretty.
Rock island marks the boundary between the open sea (Prince William Sound), and Resurrection Bay, Seward, Alaska
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey – Trivia answer is B – 1985. One thing I have learned is I know entirely too much about hurricanes and little to nothing about tornadoes and earthquakes! Everything is so thrilled to have real a rain soaker instead of the usual man made kind (sprinklers)!
Wanda – I found a p. cererula pf growing wild one day. Two seed pods had fallen off, I took them, but left the vine. No sign of life from the seeds!
Deb – I’m with you – blankets and a fire in August?!
Blooms – I love your mailbox. I keep trying to have that look with jasmine, but I don’t get the same effect.

90.0 °F / 32.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 17 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 91 °F / 33 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

edited to add -
Kiska - Gorgeous picture! Can I borrow it?!

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 2:46 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Hi Sharon - glad you enjoyed the post and of course you may borrow it. Is that huge vine a morning glory? Looked like I saw a purple morning glory blooming. Very pretty.
The lap-blankets are set out now, and it feels good to be all wrapped up in the softness and enjoying the moment.
White reindeer moss on the rocks.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Blooms - have you checked to make sure that your "power saving" settings have not somehow been changed to less than optimum?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Dyson, ....hunh?? :-)

and we are up to 76* at 3:30 in the afternoon an enormous change from the last 3 months.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I think he means on your computer Blooms.
;)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I know he meant on the computor ... was indicating my 'putor ignorance. ;-)

LOL!!!
;)

(Zone 5a)

Kiska - it's always a real treat when it isn't very windy. It did get a bit breezy in the afternoon but it was still a glorius day :-) Beautiful photos :-)

Wanda - very pretty passionflower :-)

Blooms - wow your mailbox looks so cheery with those pretty flowers surrounding it :-) I'm so glad you're finally getting some relief from the heat! :-)

Sharon - is that Lady Margaret? It's HUGE!! :-)

We went on a day trip yesterday with DH's business associate visiting from Denmark. We took him to see the three most visited sites within easy reach of the Reykjavík area - Thingvellir, Geysir (hot springs area) and Gullfoss (golden falls). The weather was really nice and hardly any wind to speak of which was really surprising - it's almost always windy out in the open country where there are no trees or any shelter at all ........ it was really great :-)

First stop was the Geysir hot spring area. It's named after a large geyser that used to be pretty spectacular, but has stopped "erupting" now. On the photo is Junior which has taken his place as the main attraction, his name is Strokkur and he sends variably high strokes of hot water into the air every 10-15 minutes. I was too impatient to wait with the camera ready to catch it so I just got a photo of the leftover water vapor ...... but it gives you a pretty good idea I think ;-)

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kiska – That is Lady Margaret. Isn’t she pretty … and HUGE?!! She’s got a bit of a scale problem right now, but I am treating it eco-friendly. : ) The moss is very pretty. Is it called reindeer moss because they tips look like little antlers? (at least it does to me!)
Dyson/Blooms/Sidney – I had to laugh!! LOL!!
Rann – yeah, she’s Huge! I decided to take a break from potting (as you can tell by the mess on the patio!) and take her picture. There are lots of buds, so there should be lots of blooms soon. Great picture of Strokkur! He looks like a cloud maker! That’s just vapor? Wow! How far away do the people stand to see the show? We’ll have to schedule (some day) a trip to Iceland! Such a beautiful and inspiring country.

84.6 °F / 29 °C
Thunderstorm
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 90 °F / 32 °C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4100 ft / 1249 m
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft / 3657 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south after midnight. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Pretty clouds tonight - I can barely decide which picture to post!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! :D Not a bad day today w/a high of 90*. I have been working on my bank & retaining wall ~ have gotten a lot accomplished in the 2 days of cooler weather.

Sharon! Oh My! That is the most Beautiful! Yet! I have to save it! (ok?) :D And Lady Margaret Is Huge! :-O
Rann! :D I had no idea that you had geysers, too! Neat-O!
Kiska, Love the Reindeer Moss! :D They eat that stuff, don't they? It's so cool. I love moss, lichen & fungi.... :D
Blooms, your mail box is Great! I like yellow & purple together. :D
Wanda, I don't know what I would do if I were to find Passiflora here...I would be tempted like Deb!

Well, the answer to the trivia is...
Hurricane Gloria struck North Carolina and the Northeastern United States.
(I didn't know that NC was "northeastern")

Good Evening, Everybody!
Joey
(one last bloom)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

BTW, Sidney...I love your Coleus ~ "Defiance"! Really Gorgeous! I found it right there on my weekly DG newsletter! ;D

Joey

Thanks for the Heads-up. I also like the tilta-whirl and Eqilibrium's pretty coleus too.
;)

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Awesome clouds Sharona!!!!

Blooms........That's ok. My power settings are set to less then optimum right now too. I think I need more sleep!

Kiska.......That photo of you and your sister is great! What a setting. Looks like your football season is off to a good start.

Ric........Your garden is looking sooooo good. It looks like a bit of the tropics have moved to Cincy.

Rannveig.........Those hot springs look like something out of Yellowstone. The clouds really add to the ominous mood. If I remember correctly, Yellowstone, Iceland and New Zealand have the most active hot spring/geyser areas in the world.

Deb...........It's good to see you finally have some rain. I like the way you have landscaped around your backyard fence. We've received a little over 10" of rain here in the past 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

Kelli..........Nice tour. The Avila Barn reminds me of many of the farm markets in this area.
They are starting to burst at the seams with fresh produce.

It was a beautiful day here in NW Pa. I took a vacation day, collected my nephew and did some early morning dewy insect photography. He's 9 and is a "bug" expert. The 10 day extended forecast shows no rain and only 1 day with clouds. Highs only in the low 70's after Wed. and lows will be in the upper 40's most nights.

Here are a couple of photos from this morning.

A field of golden rod, elderberries and Joe Pye weed fades into the mist.

early_blooomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

We didn't find any big dragonflies this morning. Here's one of the smaller ones.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 3b)

wow E_B; what an outstanding photo of the dragonfly. And, the landscape is just beautiful as well. Thanks; it's an awesome view from there of the glacier and mts.

8pm~~mixed sun & clouds; 62*. Slight breeze.
Rann - if that was just the mist, I'l love to see the actual geyser - very cool. (thanks, too).
MySharona - the Lady Margaret is another new plant to me...so pretty; I like your reasoning about the Reindeer moss, but, reindeer do eat it, therefore, the name. I'm still trying to figure out why the clouds there are "different" than here..just beautiful.
Hi Sugarweed, Blooms and Dyson - doing better today, Dyson?
Music2Keep; I just love that little flower - just as pretty as can be.
Hanging glaciers at top of mts; waterfalls down to the main glacier.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Good morning :-)

It's cloudy, 53°F and fairly calm again today - pretty similar to yesterday morning. I hope it'll clear up again like yesterday - it was so nice to get some sunshine :-)

EB - WOW - gorgeous photos - both of them!!

Kiska - another wonderful photo ........ when I was a kid I always thought the reindeer moss was named that because it looks like antlers ......... maybe because there aren't any reindeer here munching on them ;-) lol There are 3 different kinds growing out in the lava fields here around the neighborhood - need to get some photos - it's so neat :-)

Sharon - wonderful clouds :-)

Joey - beautiful Hosta (?) bloom :-) Mine are also blooming now - which is not something that happens every year .......... they are just foliage plants here and when they decide to bloom it's just a very pleasant bonus :-) I've had one for 8 years that's now flowering for the first time .

Thanks everyone - it does look pretty cool.
EB - you're probably right - I haven't heard of any other places with active geysers at least. Is Old Faithful still living up to it's name??
Strokkur is the only active geyser in Iceland since big Geysir has "retired" - it's a shame really. I would have loved to see it erupt ....... It's HUGE compared to Strokkur. We're hoping that it will awake from slumber again some day ...... ;-) This is how it looks today.

Hope you all have a good one :-)

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Some tourists don't seem to realise how dangerous the hot springs area is - you see them walking all over the place within the fenced off areas (that are fenced off as a safety measure because you could step through a thin crust into a boiling spring that hasn't "emerged" yet .....) This one gave me a very good photo opportunity although he was taking a very foolish risk there ........ those two pools are filled with boiling hot water.

Thumbnail by rannveig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Rann, looooove that last photo!! Just breathtaking!! And of course that man is pretty foolish to be walking on that.

Joey – I don’t mind at all! I hope you enjoy the clouds! Such a lovely bloom!
E_B – That’s a lovely field and the dewy dragonfly! Wow!!!
Kiska – Great pic of the glaciers/waterfall.
Rann – Great pics! The last one is stunning, but reminds me of Larry “The Cable Guy’s” line “You can’t fix stupid”!

75.0 °F / 23 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms mainly in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Taken about 3 minutes before the picture I posted yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kiska - lady margaret...taken yesterday too

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! The current temp is 71* & I've been out watering the acreage & now must get ready for schoool.

Thanks Rann, Great shots...and that guy really seems not to be afraid. Well, at least he gave you a good "comparison" shot! :D
Thanks Kiska, That is one amazing pic! Glacier at the top & at the bottom. :-)
E_B, You've done it again! I'm totally stunned at the pics that you get! I haven't ever seen a dragon fly with dew! :-O (I'm assuming that he/she was still asleep)
Sidney I agree... :D
Dyson, how are ya doing?
Thanks! Sharon! :D Great clouds & Lady M. is Beautiful! :D

The daily trivia is...
In 1989 this hurricane struck South Carolina and parts of the Caribbean. What was it called?
a) Harry
b) Hugo
c) Henry
d) Herman

Have a great day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Oh Joey that one in 1989 was a biggie for me as I lived in Charlotte, NC and it tore us a new one!!! It's name was Hugo and the streets looked like a war zone. Many 100' Oaks were down all around me but I was spared.
Sharon I only got a handful of drops yesterday and am watering right now.
I am not gonna make any more weather turning statements for sure!
EB, Rann, Sharon, Kiska, Joey, Blooms, and Kelli I really enjoyed all your pictures. As usual I saved many of them.
Dyson do exactly as you are told and get well!
It's 81.5 °F / 27.5 °C
Mostly Cloudy........Looks Sunny to me!!!
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 79 °F / 26 °C
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 90 °F / 32 °C
Great day to do wash and finish my pantry.
Have a wonderful day

Sidney

(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone! Sharon – lol “you can’t fix stupid” that’s a good one :-) What he was photographing was the other side of this “eyeglasses” spring – there’s a really deep hole there where the water comes out ;-)

Sharon and Joey – great photos :-)

The sun’s a no show so far today – we just got a drizzle of rain ......

Thumbnail by rannveig

Great shot rann.
I like a t-shirt I saw "It's a shame stupid isn't painful!"
Kelli I meant to mention you have a Bloom of the day picture this week too.
Sidney

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: No doubt, the trivia is H_U_G_O! Tore up this area but good. I have friends who were without water for two weeks, others who had to move out while the pine trees were removed from their living rooms, forests that looked like a giant buzz saw had gone through, and houses that had just dissappeared from the tidal islands.

Rann: that tourist is lucky he wasn't boiled. Those pools are so beautiful though, you can see why people are tempted to be stupid. :)
Sharon: Clouds! Wow!
E-B: My back fence is kind of a jumbled arrangement, but thanks. That's an amazing pic of the d-fly.
Dyson: Hope you're taking it easy and feeling good!

Rushing - I'm at work, so... currently mid 80s and raining ( :-> )
Deb

Joey – It’s Hugo! He made a mess all over. I had a reservation on a cruise line for the Caribbean. We thought it would get cancelled or postponed, but it didn’t. The liner took food and water supplies to the islands we were visiting. It was really amazing to see the damage first hand. The water was churning so badly that we didn’t get to go snorkeling or scuba diving. Which sounds selfish right now. We saw homes destroyed, trees pushed through houses and boats and sail boats tossed up into the mountains like they were toys. It was awful. The closest I had ever experienced damage like that was when Andrew leveled Plantation, FL. There was nothing left of Plantation, but they re-built too. (((shudder)))
Your picture is tickling my sinus’!
Dyson – I hope you are felling better and minding the doctor’s orders … and Sidneys!

89.8 °F / 32.1 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 68 °F / 20 °C
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 93 °F / 34 °C
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m

Taken this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

My view of the clouds driving down my street noonish.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

45*~sunny~nearly 9am.
Hello all - will be gone again for a few days and need to start packing the mhome.
Kiska

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have a great trip, Kiska!

We're done with homeschool for the day. Next is lunch and then playtime until it's time to pick up the little bunny from Pre-K. The little bunny was pretty confused when we went outside to wait for the bus. She kept trying to get into the cars, because she knew she was supposed to be going SOMEwhere.. And she was really upset when Daddy left for work and she didn't get to go. But when the bus finally came, she said "BUS!!" and happily got on board. It was pretty funny. :-) I should have taken a picture.. I'll have to take one tomorrow.

The big bunny was happy to get started, too. We did most of our subjects today, although most of them were pretty light introductions or just review.. We're going to start science tomorrow and Spanish next week.

It's going to rain this afternoon, but right now it is just partly cloudy and not too horribly hot. It was nice and cool out there this morning while we were waiting on the bus, so we spent some time drawing on the driveway with chalk. We haven't done that for a while because the cement gets WAY too hot during the day.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CDT (61 min ago)
Temperature 87 °F 31 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 62%
Pressure 30.04 in 1017.3 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 95 °F 35 °C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0°F / 22.8°C

(Zone 3b)

well - it's 2pm; 62* and sunny so we went to the fair instead of packing and will pack soon.
Sounds like you're having a good time w/home schooling and the Pre-K "bunnies" today, Marylyn_TX..chalk art is fun for them..
MySharona - the clouds are so pretty - if the trees were cropped, the second photo could be ice beginning to form in the rivers:) Very interesting. The Lady Margaret is certainly pretty and looks to be kinda "spidery"?
Sugarweed~~I've seem some that sure could use that tee-shirt slogan:) Hugo must have been awful...
Rann - very interesting; and so many people out sight-seeing too. Your girls? look awfully cute.
Music2Keep - did you have a good day at school? thanks, too. As "the same" as the glaciers are, there's always some differences.
DebinSC~~ that sounds like it was an awful time for you all during Hugo..
World record Kale at the fair. 87.4#...the giant cabbage weigh-in is on Friday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

First cherries entry at Alaska State Fair.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

At the fair - one of the old barns now used as a booth.

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn – Sounds like the bunnies are ready for school! I used to love doing chalk art on the driveway!
Kiska – have a great time! How long will you be this trip? I try to keep Lady M trimmed up, she can get “leggy”. I’m thinking I’ll have to trim her back pretty good this year. She is getting thinner at the base. I love the fair pics! That is the largest prettiest kale I’ve seen. I would have eaten the cherries! The barn and property are gorgeous! Wow!

Hey Joey – can you crop the photo like Kiska said? You’re much better at photo shopping than I am!

84.6 °F / 29.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 68 °F / 20 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 88 °F / 31 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft / 1219 m
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft / 3048 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the north after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent.

No rain today.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sharon, How's this?

Thumbnail by music2keep
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Excellent working dat - this morning - Temps wee 58 deg so I cut and pulled spent daylily scapes and debris from the from bed Had two wheelbarrow loads of debris. That is enough for an old lady/

Dyson - hope you are able to stand the recovery period. keep safe and heal well.

That beautiful full moon is shining down on us. Ain't nature great?

It has Sharons cw in the bottom right and yours in the upper left.
;)

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I agree with you Se_eds! Nature is Grand! ;D Glad that you have had a great day!

I washed my car & Voila! it rained! Not much, but enough to bring the temp of 95* down to 82* in a matter of minutes. Yes, A good day! Class was good, too. Altho, it's still really odd having a class w/ Garrett. I was silently chuckling when he asked me what was for supper, & the little girl behind me kept looking at Garrett, then me (we sit in different rows & far appart). She did that several times. No one but the prof. knows that we are mom & son. :D

Kiska, Love those fair pics! And the Kale is Huge! :-O
Thanks Rann, yep that is the last of my hosta's to bloom. I like the pic w/your girls...altho it looks rather steamy.
Sharon! LOL! Does Golden Rod bother your sinus's? That's probably why I've had a head ache today (not bad & I popped a Clarinex), but I love them - so bright & yellow.
Sidney! LOL!!!! I didn't even notice! :D ROTFL!!! :D

Well! Everybody got the trivia right! Hugo it Was. We felt his angry winds here, too. I almost cried when I went in the woods that fall to scout for signs before we went hunting...Ancient oaks were toppled over like Lincoln Logs.

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Today wasn't bad. High of 95* at work but the humidity was low and there was a nice breeze so everyone was happy. Tomorrow it will only be in the 80s. Whoo hoo!!

(Zone 3b)

67* feels like 80* --- very sunny and beautiful.
MySharona - Joey did turn it into ice forming in the river:)) Pretty interesting, Joey. And, by the way, I really like the river photo. Bet there are some classmates wondering~~
We'll be gone about a week..
pepper23~~so happy that you're happy w/those temps:>))
se_eds - wow, that's a ton of work, no matter the age. It's still sunny here, but I look forward to seeing the moon again in a few hours.
At the Alaska State Fair.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.