August Daily Weather

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, It's now August and we have folks from all over the world joining in, so post often to let us know your weather! :D

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/748803/

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I thought that I would post the daily weather trivia....

Who coined the term Meteorology?
a) Aristotle
b) Galileo
c) Newton
d) Einstein

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Joey!! I hope Sidney is ok...

There's a 30% chance of rain here today. The highs are supposed to be in the mid 90s. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:06am CDT (33 min ago)
Temperature 75 °F 24 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 94% - not a typo!
Pressure 29.97 in 1015 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 3 mi 4.8 km
Heat Index 80 °F 27 °C
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9°F / 23.3°C

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Marylyn! Oh My! Your humidity is off the charts! :-O No wonder there is "mist"!

I hope that Miss Sidney is OK, too. She hasn't posted anything for days!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey – Gorgeous picture!!
Marylyn –LOL – Lather Rinse Repeat! Yech – the humidity…
Sidney – You okay out there?

Well, it’s thundering and raining…we’re a tad soggy. Luckily (the only time really) is we’ve got lots of sand to soak up all the water.

Flood Watch in effect until 4 PM EDT this afternoon...

78.1 °F / 25.6 °C
Rain Mist
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 24 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1600 ft / 487 m
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft / 3352 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Rest of Today
Showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs around 90. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: I think we must be catching the nice gentle edge of your weather system there, because I woke up this morning to the pleasant sound of rain! Don't know when it started but it's been light, but steady all day. I can hear the plants singing from here. :)
(Awsome clouds, btw.)

Joey: Wild guess is "C", Newton.

Deb

(Zone 3b)

Thanks Joey -
nearly 1 pm; 58*, cloudy light rain. Those high temps and humidity sound awfully hard to take. Hope the flooding isn't too serious, MySharona.
Deb - the flowers on the previous thread were so pretty.
4 little gkids playing leggos at my feet - gotta go play w/them:))
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ahhh! Still raining! Nice, steady, not too heavy. It was such a relief not to have to spend 2 hours watering this evening after work.
Thanks, Kiska. Good old "Million Bells". They go all summer.

My evergreen wisteria is getting closer to bloom. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all,
Joey I'm so glad you started a new thread. My power source for my Laptop quit, so I just received my new one 30 minutes ago.
Anytime I'm not around for a week you can count on me being puter challenged, booted by dave, or dead.
I have been planting. I have also been designing and making my new curtains. I also had to send my new camera to the geek squad.
Sidney

Joey – I’m going with Aristotle. I know the term has been around since BC.
Deb – Hopefully you’ll only receive the good parts of the rain! None of the powerful storms. Glad you are enjoying the clouds! And your wisteria is lovely and is going to be gorgeous when it blooms.
Kiska – No real flooding. Lots of puddles that disappear pretty quickly. Your GK’s lok like they are having a great time!
Sidney – If we didn’t hear from you today I was going to call to make sure everything is ok. Glad you’re doing good. The LM cuttings should be ready within the next couple of weeks! I think they’ve rooted well.

sunset tonight. I got some really good pictures that I'll post during the next couple of days.

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and Humid today. So humid we had the *Hot Fog* as I call it. Temps got to low 90s, humidity don't know, just know it was bad. Temps gonna get worse over weekend. 96 so far for Sunday. Ugh.

(Zone 3b)

8pm- do I dare say how nice it is? :) 61*; patchy blue sky; mostly clouds on the move.
Joey - I forgot to say how much I liked the thread-starter photo. I like the layers and layers of information.
The day was busy and now, "quiet" time...
pepper23 - sounds pretty bad being that hot and humid.
Sidney - darn things anyway - can't live w/or w/out them---I talking about computers, of course:)
Deb - those are sure pretty. nice that they bloom well and long.Glad the rain was a good one.
MySharona - looking forward to the new photos, too.
All her ducks in a row.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! I have no idea what woke me up this morning, but oh well...It's 66* and Dyson Dark. Should be another hot one, with a high of 90 something again.

Thanks Sharon, Your humidity isn't much better than Marylyn's! :-O ~ And those Clouds! :D We're waitn on some more cloud pics. I rely on those! :D
Sidney, Glad that you are OK & back in business! :D And it sounds as if you have been really busy!
Deb, That Wisteria is Gorgeous! Can't wait til it blooms! :D
Thanks Kiska, Sounds as if you're having loads of fun! And it looks like the kids are are having fun, too. :D Love those little ducks...in a row.
Pepper, sounds like we've got the same sort of weather! :-O

The answer to the trivia is...A (for Aristotle)
In 340 B.C., Aristotle wrote a book entitled Meteorologica. (He was actually a cartographer or map maker)

Since I will be gone to a wedding (my nieces') all day, I thought that I would throw in another trivia question...
In what year was the first weather satellite launched?
a) 1940
b) 1950
c) 1960
d) 1970

The wedding? :D A horse-drawn carriage will be taking her to the church & her dog, Daisey (Golden Retriever), is the ringbearer! :D Man, will I need the tissues! :D

Hav a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Pepper – Sounds like the nasty HHH weather we generally get in high summer. Hope it cools off soon.
Kiska – Love the ducks. They are so cute!
Joey – I’m up too! LOL! You’re excited that’s why you got up early. A beautiful wedding to go to today…take pics and plenty of Kleenex! Beautiful bud….I’m going with B…

75.9 °F / 24.4 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft / 457 m
Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft / 3352 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Scattered showers in the morning...with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx Sharon, LOL! You're probably right, but I can't take pics...I'm in it! (sort of) I'm "manning" the guest book, which isn't really a book. It's a picture of the happy couple w/an extra large matte, which people will sign. I think that I'll have Garrett take my camera...so who knows what kind of pics I'll turn up with! :D BTW, I'm saving That pic! It is now officially in my "scrap book"! :D
Have a good one!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Joey - LOL!! Glad you like the pic!

75.9 °F / 24.4 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 91% ugggggghhhhhh!! :(
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 4000 ft / 1219 m
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft / 3657 m

Thumbnail by MySharona

Not cooling off any time soon. Right now it is 79* and 83% humidity last I heard. Gonna get to mid 90s with heat index in the high 90s to low 100s.

(Zone 3b)

6:45am, one gchild up, had one cup/coffee/online, all's well.
52*; not raining now. Highs to the low 60's.
Joey - have a wonderful day; the wedding sounds like a "winner". Hope Garrett takes lots/photos,too. The MG is perfect.
MySharona. what a pretty way to start my day; your photos are wonderful.
pepper23 - what can I say but "oh my gosh" what a day you're going to have.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

85°(F), Bright, sunny gray skies

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 54%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.12in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 68°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 93°F
Dew Point: 65°
Visibility: 5mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 85°
Wind Chill: 83°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 69°F
6hr High Temp: 76°F

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

83°F (Expecting high of 90)
Cloudy
Wind: N at 6 mph
Humidity: 72% (Feels like 90)
2" of rain since THursday night! Yahoo!

Sharon: Love your sea and sky this morning.
Kiska: wow. what's that peak thingy? ..and what can you say about ducklings...adorable of course. :)

Meyer lemon, with remains of the rain.
Deb
Oops: Edited to say, Joey, I guess "C".

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 12:08 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Has anyone heard from either Patischell or BloomsWithAView for a while?

This is a very easy post to make. Hot Hot And Humid!! LOL

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Same old here, too. We weren't home today so I don't know how hot it got, but if it was like the rest of the week - and there's no reason to think it wasn't - it got into the low 90s.

We went to the Ventura County Fair today. We went by train. We never took the train before. Here are some window pictures.

The town of Fillmore

Thumbnail by Kelli

Orange grove

Thumbnail by Kelli

Santa Clara "River" - It looks like this the vast majority of the time.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Where are they? did they miss a thread jump? Did they get flooded out? Someone form a search party!

Close as I can tell the last thread Blooms started was on 6/30/07 here - http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3679798

And Pati even farther back at 3/5/07 here-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3250293

So where are they?

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 9:25 PM

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 9:31 PM

A field of something, might be lima beans.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This would be a good place for the Apaches to hide. (No, the Apaches didn't live around here. Yes, they did film westerns in this general area - probably not this exact spot, but in the general area.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! I'm still watching the thread from time to time, enjoying the photos and news, but not posting. The hard drive on my computer bit the dust last week so I've been demoted to my kids lap-top. I have a new drive but have not installed it yet. Luckily, I had most everything (photos, music, documents etc.) backed up on an external hard drive so I didn't lose too much of value.

The weather here had been hot and dry.........there's supposted to be a chance of thundershowers for the next few days. Hopefully a few will pass my way. It sure is quite a change from last year when it rained almost constantly from mid-July until Nov.

early_bloomer

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

EB - we too are experiencing about the worst dry weather since 1999. High 90's again today. Humidity is not too bad at 60 deg. We have had 90's for several days along with a 15-25 mph breeze. Things are drying out fast. I have a soaker hose on the tomatoes and they are really luscious.

No tropical depressions or hurricane rains this year so far. It is 'survival of the fit-ist weather"

(Zone 3b)

55*/raining, winds to 20 mph later this evening. Sunset at 10:29pm.
Kelli - thanks for the train trip - lots of different countryside wasn't there? The bean field looked very pretty.
pepper23 - maybe there'll be a change soon..
se_eds, wonder if the extra hot/dry weather along with the watering you're doing, is helping the tomatoes this year.
Here's my tomato crop. Had 4 cherry tomatoes so far. Wrapped in plastic, on the south side, under the eaves, and still it struggles. Tomatoes are not an outdoor crop here. But, can always hope.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! The temp is 71*. We had an extremely hot day yesterday & the humidity was terrible. I have no idea what the temp was, but I was out in it until 8:00-ish. The wedding went w/out a "hitch". :D

Kiska, Love the looks of that peak is it by a lake of body of water? I do tomatoes in a pot too. Ya can't beat it for handiness.
Se_eds, I think we're all in the hot mode for August! Bring on the fall!
Kelli, What a great train ride! Love the "bean patch" (so green) & that orange grove! Yummm! :D And I think I've seen an old western w/that scene in it! I love westerns...
Deb, That lemon looks yummy. Would go great w/some baked fish ;)
Dyson...LOL! We will put you in charge of the search! Hope they "show up" soon...
E_B, you shouldn't stay incognito so much! I hate that you lost your hard drive. Been there, done that (only it was my mother board), but I wasn't smart like you...I lost over 3,000 pics! I learned my lesson the hard way. Don't stay away so much!

Well, the answer to yesterday's trivia is...C
In 1960, Tiros 1 was launched into space.

Today's trivia is...(I learned this in Chemistry/Biology)
Which wave has the shortest wavelength?
a) AM radio waves
b) Microwaves
c) Visible light
d) X rays

Here's a pic from yesterday to show you how humid it was...Garrett in his Jeep.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of my niece, Erin.

Thumbnail by music2keep

Oh Joey,
What a magical wedding. What a beautiful bride.
I guessed yesterday's quiz right even if I didn't post. I think Microwaves are shortest.
The weather here is around 90. We had 2 days of drizzle which was fabulous. I am busy planting in the yard and making new curtains. They will be reversable and I am using 3 fabrics. I am also doing different windows in slight variations so I can sell my skills at doing this and have examples of my work. I had to order a special foot for making cording and am doing 30 yards of "Prep work" while I wait for it to arrive.
I am also still planting as I took a plant shopping trip 2 weeks ao and also got another 30 plants from Badseed. I putt a little outside and then do a little on the curtains. Then I drop by DG for an hour or so.
We are looking at a week of scattered showers and low 90s temps.
Actually not too bad for August. I worry about seeds getting enough water for her gardens.
The survey crews came by and painted some marks on the street in front of my house. Makes me hesitate to plant the front 8' of my yard. You know if they put in a sidewalk that they will destroy all garden they can.
I think I will start on my "Little ole lady" signs now admonishing the crews to be careful in my gardens. I'll print them in english and spanish.*grin*
My camera is also being repaired.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Gee...Sidney! All of your "toys" went on the blink at the same time! :-O Your potted plants look really healthy & well.
Thanks Sidney, Erin's a beauty & a precious sweetie.
Wouldn't the crews that tear up your yard have to fix what they tear up? I think around here, where they are putting in new water lines, the guys have to fix everything back the way it was.

The new "pair"... :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

7:30am, 53* and holding; a few minutes ago we saw a moose moving at a fast pace in the back yard. Seemed to be going to the front yard, so we stepped out front as it came by. We watched as it stripped the willow of leaves, and we could see it's breath in the cool air.
Not long after we started watching, Holly, our cat, came to the front and made a bee-line toward the moose. It's just the funniest thing to see her go after moose. She got to about 30 feet from it, then stopped as the moose turned it's head to watch her.
Deb and Joey - the peak is called "Lions Head" and is just a weird rock formation between the road and the glacier. There is no lake at this point, just fast moving river.
Erin is just beautiful, Joey. Garrett's jeep sure looks good, too. Nice job.
Sidney - lots going on for you; good luck with the window covering sales, too.
The container full of plants looks very happy/pretty.
"Camping"
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Should have told Ya'll the picture is one from Ohio Growers display taken at Baker's Acre's two weeks ago.
Sidney

Pepper – Your weather is just like ours! HHH…
Marylyn – I haven’t seen either of them around lately. I sent a d-mail to both.
Kelli – Looks like you had a great time go to and being at the fair. I love trains. Mmmmm lima beans!
Se_eds and Early – I hope y’all get some much needed rain soon.
Kiska – Looks like you’re in luck this year with the cherry tomatoes! Mine have produced some this year, better than last year.
Joey – I’m going with A. It does like very hazy in the picture. Garrett has done a really good job on the Jeep – looks great! And Erin is gorgeous! The pic of her and hubby is amazing! Such a beautiful setting for a wedding!
Sidney – you’ve been busy! You have a real talent for putting potted plants together – very pretty.
Joey - City workers putting order back to what they destroyed? Not here they don’t and I think it’s really “sorry” of them. We’re lucky if they actually put dirt back where they dug. You have no idea how lucky you are.
Kiska – Never fear Holly’s here!! She’s as fearless our Isaboo! Beautiful pictures!

92.8 °F / 33 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 92 °F / 33 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft / 1219 m

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 90s inland... in the lower 90s coast. West winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon. Chance of rain 20 percent. Heat index readings 101 to 106.

Love the heat index... :P

Joey I finally got a picture of a hummingbird!

Thumbnail by MySharona

another - whew~!

Thumbnail by MySharona

I took this last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.