August Daily Weather

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Here I am!!!!! (waving frantically). In fact, I'm here every day! Just lurking along and enjoying the company. No excuses, just selfish pleasure and living all your weather vicariously.

I am in my summer mode....crouched inside in the A/C! I actually walked to the mail box yesterday (about 100') and as I crawled panting back inside the house the weather chanel informed me that the humidity was 90% and the heat index was 104º !!

This time of the year I'm more attuned to the water temps in the Atlantic and Gulf and hopeing that our good hurricane luck continues the rest of the year. I'm hooked into a network of all the Caribbean islands that are on daily to chat about what's happening in their spot in paradise. So far everyone has a strangely relaxed attitude about the "season". Just "I don't seem to feel a 'cane this year". From their mouth to God's ear!

Goodness, I'm sure getting wordy in my old age. Bet you're sorry you woke me up! LOL
Pati

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

HHH here too.
:>

Monday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s. Heat index values up to 110 in the afternoon. Southwest winds around 5 mph.

Deb

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 4:33 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

90° (F), Overcast

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 49%
Wind: 250° (WSW) at 10mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 69°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 94°F
Dew Point: 66°
Visibility: 6mi
Ceiling: 10000ft
Heat Index: 89°
Wind Chill: 87°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 75°F
6hr High Temp: 89°F

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! Well, I don't know what the humidity was (is) today, but I'd say it's close to 100%! We've had wet drops all day (off & on) & it feels like you could cut it w/a knife! The mosquitoes have gone nuts! They usually don't come out until around 5:00, but they have been swarming all day. :P

Dyson, you found one! :D
Pati, Glad that you finally spoke up! We'd like it if you were more vocal! :D
Thanks Sharon! Yeah!!! You did it! :D And ya did good! :D

Well, the answer to the trivia is....D
An X rays' wavelength is 10^-9 meters.

Here's one more of Garrett...a little closer.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pati, we're always happy to hear from you! :-) I'm very glad you spoke up. I am also glad you haven't had to start any Tropical Storm threads!!

Quoting:
...Just "I don't seem to feel a 'cane this year". From their mouth to God's ear!

Amen!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

No change in weather here except it is gonna get hotter this week. High 90s, heat index in the hundreds. August is officially here now. Just hurry up and go away so we can cool off some. LOL

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Marylyn I listened in to the interview Dave did in College Station and some gal with your name called or e-mailed. Said Houston wasn't exotic.
Well I never!!! *grin* When I was a panhandle young-un Houston was right up there with Dallas and Austin too. I know we weren't interested in New York cause we had lots of Texas cities to experience first. Houston was the biggest, most advanced, and also the scariest. It was definately 'Exotic', LOL
It took me 3 hrs to listen to 1 hr on dial up. I'll get the knack of this high speed if it kills me tomorrow.

Sidney

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That was me, e-mailing the station. He (Doug the radio guy, that is) was hoping for e-mails from DG-ers in interesting places - like Wisconsin or Pakistan. I figured Houston, just 75 miles away, wasn't quite so unusual. LOL It was a fun interview, wasn't it? The fire alarm wouldn't have been quite so entertaining if it had been something more serious, but as it was it was quite funny! :-) Man, three hours, Sidney.. I love my broadband and I'd REALLY hate to go back to dial up!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Pati is here, has anyone heard from blooms?

75°(F) and very dark.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Pati - Glad to hear from you and that things are going well. Keep in touch, we miss you when you’re gone.
Joey – Love the close-up on the Jeep (and Garrett)! He’s a cutie! Love those tires!!!
Sidney & Marylyn – I remember those Dallas/Houston rivalries! I think that will always be a part of the TX tradition.
Dyson – I d-mailed her, but no response.

77.4 °F / 25 °C
Clear
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 °F / 26 °C
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the southwest in the afternoon. Heat index readings 101 to 106.

I need to get outside and weed, but it's so darn HHH. It's miserable. Wahhhhhh!

Taken last night after church

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Today's gonna be a repeat of yesterday. The temp is 71* & partly cloudy with a 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms.

Thanx, Sharon. He's worked really hard on that Jeep. The perfect toy. :-) That is the most beautiful sunset! :-O
Marylyn, Sounds like fun being interviewed! And, yes, Houston Is an interesting place! :D

We're supposed have a meteor shower this week end! I think I'll go to the top of the mountain to watch! :D

What rare phenomenon happened on February 11, 2003 in Illinois?
a) Snow Rollers
b) Ice Storm
c) Winter Tornado
d) Flash Floods

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

53*~~clouds beginning to lift, some light rain, highs to the 60's.
Record of 78* in 1978 at this time of year.
MySharona - the peaceful sunset scene is just beautiful.
Joey - The photos are great - either you or Garrett behind the camera did a wonderful job. "A"
Hi pattischell.
Dyson - 75/dark seems unreal.
pepper23 - such a difference around the country - for here, August is the start of fall. Too bad about the ongoing heat there.
Marylyn_TX - sounds like you had a good time w/interview. Very cool.
Have a great day, sugarweed - just know you'll be busy.
wild dogwood; very low to ground, now in the berry stage.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bright though over cast at the moment, 89°(F).

Found out today - if you use cardboard to kill grass in an area, be careful removing it. I did not get stung but there was a big YJ nest built under it.

The new weed eater I bought yesterday works very well.

Where is Blooms ?

Relative Humidity: 49%
Wind: 290° (WNW) at 10mph
Pressure: 29.97in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 72°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 90°F
Dew Point: 67°
Visibility: 8mi
Ceiling: 5500ft
Heat Index: 91°
Wind Chill: 88°
6hr Low Temp: 74°F
6hr High Temp: 77°F

Joey – We’re planning to go to the beach to watch the midnight sky show. Should be a lot of fun.
Kiska – August = Fall? We don’t get Fall until November or (sometimes) December.
Dyson – I don’t deliberately kill grass, it does a fine job of it by itself!! LOL!

Heard from Blooms! She’s fine, hiding from the heat and humidity.

93.9 °F / 34.4 °C
Clear
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 94 °F / 35 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 13 out of 16

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon. Heat index readings 105 to 109. I'm staying in! Just looking at the plants outside begging for attention. :( I'll check them out around 7pm.

Luna Moth hanging out on the church's brick wall.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Aren't Lunas photogenic, they almost pose. ;)
What are the dates of the precidious? Is that the show?
the last 3 years its been cloudy here.
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Good news about Blooms, my grass dies also but only after it becomes an eyesore. Sorta like me I guess.

88°(F) - tired, been up since 0130, gonna rest.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

No idea about the trivia question. I'll guess C.

Great pictures, Joey, but the thought of getting dressed up in hot and humid weather makes me feel hotter than I already am. Back in my PA days, my mom was a real stickler for dressing very appropriately for church, but she did let us wear sandals and no nylons in the summer. Back in those days, our house didn't have air conditioning and the church didn't have air conditioning.

Very pretty dogwood, Kiska. I have sentimental ties to dogwood since my grandma's casket was decorated with dogwood flower designs (the eastern U.S. dogwood).

I like the luna moth, too. I've never seen one and I don't know if they live out here.

Picture of a prize-winning exhibit at the Ventura County Fair.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I'm here! I'm here. Didn't think you'd miss me. and didn't realize how long I've been hiding from the heat. We had an entire July of triple digit temps and 4-10% humidity for the most part.

Last night we had a triple header of thunderstorms move thru our valley and they dropped from half an inch to an inch depending on where you are in the valley. flash flooding in all our side canyons no doubt. it was Dyson Dark out - right around midnight.

Our low this morning was an unheard of 66* it was wonderful, with foggy mists rising off the mesas obscuring the mountains.
It's 78* now at noon and still feels blessedly cool to me.
our humidity was at an unbelievable 94% this morning, has dropped to a 'mere' 60% as the sun sucks the moisture up like a slurpy.

My yarden is sooo happy to have fresh water from the sky. Unfortunately so are the goat head weeds and the weed grasses. Like you, Dyson, I have cardboard down as weed grass deterrent until I can come up with some more permanent solution.

Thank you all for letting me know I was missed. Didn't get the msgs until this morning. Had an argument with my putor yesterday and had to go to restore back into July. ~~ Lost in the fog in Moab, Blooms

(Zone 3b)

58*, mostly sunny.
Kelli - the prize-winning exhibit looks as if it's been there forever, nice job they did. Sorry about your grandmother; my father passed away as dogwood was in full bloom in Calif. I was down there and dogwood will forever be a reminder of a much-loved father.
Dyson - get some rest and take to heart that you are well thought of.
MySharona - the Luna Moth is so pretty; isn't that the kind used in ads for sleep aids? August does = fall....and then the quiet/darkness slowly starts to settle in to make the change of seasons official.
Sounds like a nice time tonight at the beach.
Nice to hear/see you again Blooms. Must have been awful w/that kind of heat.
Rose hips ready to pick.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Blooms & pati, thanks for showing up!

Bright, gray skies, 88°(F), tired from weed eating, gonna rest now.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Kiska and Joey - no one was interviewing ME.. How boring would that be? LOL I could tell them all about my little bunny's potty training, I suppose... (still giggling..) For the complete story: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/754552/ :-)

Welcome back, Blooms! I would be hiding from the heat if I were you, too.

This weather thing says our humidity is only at 54%, but it is SO nasty out there! The bunnies and I were running errands earlier and we all came in dripping with sweat. It doesn't help that the A/C in my little red Metro is really pathetic. I am so grateful to be home and cooling off now!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (27 min ago)
Temperature 94 °F 34 °C
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 54%
Pressure 30.00 in 1015.8 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 106 °F 41 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.9°F / 24.4°C

Sidney – There will be shooting stars, etc…all month, but “they” say the 12th/13thth will be the best times for viewing (even if we are cloudy) between 1-5 am.
Kelli – I would hope that display won a prize! It’s gorgeous! Here’s a link to more info on them. This was the 1st time I’ve seen one in “person”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actias_luna

Kiska - Pretty rosehips!

Heat advisory in effect from 1 PM to 7 PM EDT Tuesday.

Really fast video (5 seconds!!) of a hummingbird on one of the feeders this morning.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/ser109/?action=view¤t=MVI_8778.flv

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photos everyone! Sharon gorgeous sunset!

Joey - Congrats on your nieces wedding - what a beautiful couple :-)

Pat and Blooms - nice to hear from you :-)

It's been a pretty nice weekend - the storm passed by on Friday - we only got a bit of rain and a bit of wind - nothing too bad. Sat and Sun were sunny and a bit breezy - but still fairly nice. Today it was cloudy but not as windy so not bad at all - temp around 57°F. Thursday it got to 61°F and was sunny and not so windy - just wonderful :-)

edited for typo ;-)

This message was edited Aug 6, 2007 8:52 PM

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 10:29 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad that the worst of the storm passed you, Rannveig. :-)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Its summertime!!! We are under a drought watch here in Central Pa. But we did get 1/4" of rain last night. dewpoint 72 deg. Temp 88. You can cut the air with a knife. The Emergency Network has issued a heat advisory for tomorrow and advises people to stay in the air conditioning and check on the elderly. Hee, hee - I can't check on the elderly - I am one.

Cardboard to kill grass. If I laid down cardboard to kill grass it would probably have a copperhead snake under it the next day. eeeeew

(Zone 3b)

Marylyn_TX - now I understand - I've not listened yet, but it was interesting just reading the comments. But, how's the training coming:))? sure sounds awfully hot..
rann - certainly does sound wonderful and similiar, too. How's the flower garden this far into the season?
se_eds - I shuddered to think of anything you might find if you tried the cardboard trick..Are you set up w/AC?
MySharona - Isaboo? looks as if she's really enjoying the moment. They are a wonderful source of fun to watch. Have a great night/viewing.
Currants are ripening, too.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I think the August meteor shower is the Perseids? Every year I plan to go out and sit in a beach chair to watch, and every year, it's cloudy. Last time we were able to see them was about 6 years ago. :( Would be nice to be able to go up a mountain to see 'em - above the clouds. :)

Still HHH here, too. Hi was 97 today with a heat index of 110. I think we're officially in the dog days! But I'm not wishing the heat away, because I absolutely can't stand the cold.

Good to "see" you, Blooms!

Still watching the evergreen wisteria progress...
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes indeedy we have AC - that way I can go out and dig plants then come inside and get cooled down.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, I just lost Everything! It was a lot, too! (growling)
It's hot & muggy 76* at the moment. Just Like Se_eds says...you can cut it with a knife! :-O And It's DysonDark.

Kiska, I'm glad that the moose didn't get All of the currants! I have a question...what are Rose hips used for? I know that they are used in vitamin suppliments, but I think there is something else..
Thanks, Rann. I want your temps! They're Ideal! :D
Deb, Do you want us to get some pics or do you wanna come up here to go on the mountain with us? :D
Marylyn, I'll have to check out "the complete story"! But I imagine an interview w/you would be loads of fun! :D
Sharon, I'll have to check out those links...but I gotta tell ya, tha Isaboo has a Perrr-fect expression on her (?) face. Kitties are so much fun to watch! :D
Blooms, glad that you're back! You'll have to show up more often..you were missed!
Kelli, I love the exhibit at the Fair! Wow! :D

The answer to today's trivia is....A
Snow rollers are a rare phenomenon where snowballs form naturally by a very strong wind blowing across a flat uncovered field when the snow is easily compacted.

Good Nite.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

7:30pm, just finished raining, 60* bright and light out.
Deb - the evergreen wisteria is just gorgeous. What a great color combination mother nature put together.
Se_eds; glad to hear that you do have AC..Bet it's great to come into a cool home
Joey- yes, the moose shared; notice the ends of the branches nibbled off? The leave the berries for us. Rose hips are a good source of Vitamin C...We use them in jelly and syrups. They can be dried and eaten plain or used in cooking, too.
Your goodnight pic is beautiful -
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Rann – I love your temps!
Se-eds – Lord only knows what critters we’d find under cardboard. LOL!
Kiska – That’s Sylvester – I should have captioned his name. He’s a big baby weighing in at 16lbs. Pansies in August – they’re so pretty!
Deb – The wisteria is just gorgeous. I love that deep purple at the tip.

78.8 °F / 26.0 °C alomost 80 at 6:20am :P
Clear
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16

Today
Haze and patchy fog early in the morning. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Heat index readings 105 to 110.

Heat advisory in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to 7 PM EDT this evening.

I started watering the lawn at 6:00. It's so muggy out you can cut it with a knife. I can't stand the summers anymore.

Butterflies dancing yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

another

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Overcast, but the sky is getting brighter, 73°(F)

Relative Humidity: 85%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Pressure: 30in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 74°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 91°F
Dew Point: 69°
Visibility: 6mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 74°
Wind Chill: 74°
6hr Low Temp: 76°F
6hr High Temp: 87°F

I think I may have overdone it with the new weed-eater yesterday but it was to get out in the yard for a change.

Have a great day all!

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Thanks Marylyn - we were too :-) Most of the festivities over the weekend went well and the weather turned out better than forcasted in most places - most of the rain was over with on Friday so the weekend was good :-)

Joey and Sharon - we don't sweat with these temps and that's pretty nice - not stuffy either - plenty of fresh air to breathe ;-) You just have to wear more clothes ;-) lol

Kiska - yes it does seem very similiar - August is also sort of an overture to fall here - it's starting to cool down and there is a very distinct "smell" of fall in the air ....... This past weekend is a kind of a summer finale at least regarding camping trips - the nights are getting too cold (and dark) for camping now :-( Makes me a bit sad since we didn't manage to go on a camping trip this summer - but there's always next year ;-)

It's cloudy this morning, 59°F and slightly breezy - according to the forcast there should be some rain today - we'll see.

We went on a short drive yesterday up to the lake that I've posted pictures of earlier - here's one from yesterday :-)

Hope you all have a great day !

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

We took the scenic route back - here's a closer look at the lava field seen in the distance in the previous photo.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

One more ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

And to answer your question about the garden Kiska - it's in full bloom - the earliest perennials are mostly done and the late ones are starting to flower - and so are the roses :-)

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 12:57 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

Rann - When was the last time the volcano was active? Your garden is lovely.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's still muggy! & 72*... another HHH day...

Dyson! Please be careful, but I know what you mean...it sure is nice to get outside. I'll probably finish weed-eating this morning & stay inside the rest of the day...too hot.
Thanks Kiska, What lovely Pansies! w/that gorgeous back drop! :D Are the Rose Hips kinda like cranberries? They (cb's) have lots of vitamin C..I know the cb's grow in bogs, but they do look similar & probably have the same characteristics.
Rann, I love you pics! The Lake! :-O And your yard! :D question - how old is the lava field? It's easy to see where the flow went. Thanks for the views. :D
Sharon, The BF's are so pretty...what kind are they?

Todays trivia is....
Where is the wettest weather station in the continental United States?
a) Death Valley, CA
b) Wynoochee Oxbow, WA
c) Niagara Falls, NY
d) Norfolk, VA

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Oh Ms Joey, it's between b & c.
Kelli one of your pictures in this week's newsletter.
Weatherman says "Get it done by noon!"
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.