August Daily Weather

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: I'll have to settle for pics, although I bet it's a little cooler on top of the mountain! My trivia answer is B.
Kiska: I love the pic of the flower box and the mountains behind. Looks like what I remember of Switzerland. Are those purple flowers some sort of Cape Daisy?
Dyson: It's good you're getting outside some!
Sharon: We have the same humidity today. :b
Rann: What a lovely scene there of the lake. And your flower bed is sooo nice.

Sunny and hot. Heat advisory in effect.
High 99. Heat index 110. Slight chance of late afternoon thunderstorms.
Overnight low 78.
(Yechh!)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm going to say C, Joey. Maybe it's a trick question and the weather station gets hit by the waterfall spray. LOL

I think Deb, Sharon, Sidney, and I need to go visit Rannveig or Kiska - or both - until September.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CDT (17 min ago)
Temperature 90 °F 32 °C
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 61%
Pressure 30.04 in 1017.3 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH 9 kts
Wind Dir S 190°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 100 °F 38 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 78.1°F / 25.6°C

Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Highs in the mid 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 108 to 109 in the afternoon.

(Zone 3b)

53*; sunny and no clouds over the mt.
Joey - I'll go w/c too, only because the mist from NFalls must make any weather station wet all the time. Rose hips are more labor intensive if you want to dry them and use as "rasins"> The tail needs removed, then split open the hip and remove the seeds; after awhile, gets too tedious for me anymore. By rinsing the whole ones, unless it's rained recently, then cooking/straining and using the juice, it's much quicker to a finished product. Your weather sounds like a good day be indoors. Love the plant/colors.
Deb - the butterfly photo is a happy one. Very serene. You'd never know by looking just how hot it's going to get. Yes, they are a type of daisy.
Marylyn_TX - wouldn't a trip to somewhere cool be a real treat - perhaps sometime you could come and then "over the top" to Rann.
Rann - I really would love to visit Iceland - your photos are wonderful and your garden looks gorgeous.
MySharona - Sylvester is a pretty kitty; and big:)) Love the butterflies, too.
Sidney, are you done by noon?
Dyson - please take care there and don't overdo - not be lecturing, just caring.
Sweet peas beginning to bloom.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone - you're all welcome to come and visit and get a breath of fresh air - there's plenty to go around ;-) lol Wish I could send some over.

Kiska - love the sweet peas and the flower box photo with the mountain in the background is gorgeous! Must be wonderful to wake up to such a view every morning!

Joey and Sharon - I had to look up the age of the lavafield - it's about 7000 years old and the volcano has been inactive since then. Which is a good thing since all the lava that surrounds Hafnarfjörður came from this same volcano - we'd be in big trouble if it'd "wake up".

The lilies are flowering now - this is 'Grand Cru'

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Rann, you have a beautiful garden. Most of mine looks kind of tired this time of year.

Kiska, I'll eat rose hips off the plant when I find them. I wait until they start to shrivel just a little. They taste like a cross between an apple and a rose. It will be months before they're ready here. They must not be all the popular with wildlife or I would never find any.

It looks like it might not get super hot today, but it's August, so I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on August 07, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
70 °F / 21 °C
Clear
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SE

We went to a baseball game last night - Angels vs Red Sox. The Angels won! Yay!!!!! It was a sell-out crowd of over 44,000 people. I'd say 1/4 to 1/3 of those in attendance were Red Sox fans and I didn't hear anyone with a Bostonian accent. Even out here, it's cool to be a Red Sox or Yankees fan. The Angels just aren't cool, but neither am I. ;-) My camera is not good for taking detailed distance pictures and the zoom is poor, but here's a picture for you. (Even though the pictures are not great, I might post some in another forum, if I can find an appropriate one. Oddly enough, there is no forum for sports.) Anyway, that is Curt Schilling pitching.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Let me know where you post them, Kelli. I'd love to see more. :-)

I think I'll just put them in the General Discussion forum.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Kelli - very cool photo - looks very good to me :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

97° (Heat Index 104°)
Think that pretty much says it....

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

you'se folks are so kewl lov u all

still - Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 52%
Wind: 280° (W) at 9mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 29.94in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 74°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 91°F
Dew Point: 70°
Visibility: 7mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 95°
Wind Chill: 90°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 75°F
6hr High Temp: 93°F

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Well I got the rain I was hoping for. 3 1/2 inches the past 2 days! Not much by Texas standards but still not too bad. The flowers are happy!

Kiska.........Love the planter photo!

Henry..........Yep.

rannveig............Your gardens are looking sooooooooo good!

se_eds...........Did you get much rain? I sent it your way.

early_bloomer

Sidney, what picture of mine was in the newsletter?

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey – The butterflies are Gulf Fritillaries. The Lady Margaret pv is their host plant. I’m going with B.
Marylyn – When are we leaving? I’m so ready to get out of the heat!
Kiska – Love the sweet peas! So pretty! I’ve never had rose hips. Looks like I’ve been missing out on a wonderful natural treat! Now, where can I find some?!
Rann – I wonder if the ground will ever heal from the lava flow? I too hope it stays “asleep”. Your lilies are very pretty. I really like the red/yellow combination.
Kelli – The picture looks crisp and clear to me! The stadium is packed!
Dyson – How you’se doin?!

94.3 °F / 34.6 °C
Haze
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 102 °F / 39 °C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5500 ft / 1676 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog late in the night. Lows in the upper 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Heat advisory in effect until 6 PM EDT Wednesday.

Hazy today

Thumbnail by MySharona

taken last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

It didn't get hot today. I haven't even turned the air conditioner on yet. We will definitely need it when we go to bed, though. The upstairs gets a lot hotter than the downstairs.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 07, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
80 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the South
Wind Gust: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/

Here is a picture with the zoom and it's not crisp and clear. He's a cutie, but I doubt you can tell from the picture.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

68* ~~ sunny and bright.
Kelli -I've never eaten them right off the bush - guess I will. The game photo looks great.
MySharona - very pretty night you had - Does the haze last all day?
Rann - the lilies are beginning here, too. Sure marks the end of summer, though. I love the color of yours.
ric- that's just too hot for anyone:))
The lilies are being pushed over by the heavy, wet ferns.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: 68 degrees. Ahhhh, that sounds heavenly!

Our actual high today was exactly 100. It's cooled down now to a more comfy 89. :)

The good thing about the heat is that it brings thunderstorms. Had one at lunchtime which brought 1/2" of rain. Yay.

Deb

(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much EB :-)

Dyson - hang in there !

Sharon - great pics :-) The lava is mostly just covered with moss and low growing plants - and some native shrubs here and there depending on the area. A lava field will always be a lava field though at least until someone decides to build on it ;-) Some are fairly smooth while others are really rugged and pretty impossible to walk over.

Deb - imagine 89°F being cool ....... hmmmmmm nope - can't do it! lol Glad it's not 100°F anymore though!

This one was taken today - I need to make this more color coordinated next year - I tend to plant things where ever I can find an empty space ;-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

I took this one last week and never got around to posting it - until now ;-)

Sunset around 10:30 pm - August 2nd.

Thumbnail by rannveig
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Kelli,
This http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/147781/ of a very pretty California Poppy I think. Bloom of the day for Aug1st.
Sidney

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: No color coordination needed there, in my opinion. It's wonderful as is. :)
Deb

Kiska – The haze has been pretty bad yesterday and today. Pretty much all day long too. Pretty ferns and lilies! What a hoot that bear is – I love a touch of whimsy in the garden! I agree with Deb – 68 sounds divine.
Deb – No storms here, just HHH.
Rann - I don’t think you need to change a thing in your garden. That is, unless you want to add even more lovely plants! What a sunset that is!! Wow!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

E. B. - thanks for your efforts on sending rain. The stuff went northwest to southeast. Missed us, but - we do have mist, fog, air moisture. Mr computer says it is raining in Millersburg, - We are 3 miles out the road and it is not raining. - But It Might! Currently 82 deg with a relative humidity of 72 deg.

A good day to clean the kitchen stove! LOL It is cool in here. Was out with the camera for a few quick shots. Here is a seedling daylily.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Se_eds: I'm doing a PA style rain dance, right now. :)
Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot hot hot. Waaaaay to hot. Temps got to the 100s.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Deb - it is RAINING - just intermittent showers - but RAIN! Thanks for the dance.
Coleus: Pele

Thumbnail by se_eds
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! Yeah!! Se_eds! You got some rain! ~ Whew! We need some now...to cool it down some. It's still 78* & very, very muggy. And I was out in it even more today! LOL! I think I'm a glutton for punishment! ;D

Well... the answer to the trivia is...B
Wynoochee Oxbow has an average annual rainfall of 144.44 inches. A total 86 times greater than the average 1.68 inches for Death Valley, CA

Kelli! Great shot of the ball game! I Love b-ball! :D
Deb! Glad that it's rained for ya!
E_B! A Great Amount! I'm certain you flowers Are happy! :D
Marylyn, I see that the heat has settled into your area. :-O
Yeah!! Sidney! You got rain! Deb, sure can do some dancin', huh? And your Lily & Coleus look quite happy. (& pretty)
Rann, your garden is Beautiful! And That Lily! Wow! And man! what a sunset! :D
Sharon, that looks like muggy air w/ the sun trying to shine thru! :-O
Kiska, I wish that it were 68* here! I cannot imagine not having AC in this heat...actually it's the humidity that makes it so bad. It's thick! Love the Sweet Peas! :D
Dyson..you're "kewl" too! :D Hope you're staying inside in the "kewl"! I think Pam sent her heat to us! ;) btw, I liked the "Wind Chill" @ your house! (hehe)
Ric, that's Too Hot! I hope that's not in store for us tomorrow!
Pepper...Stay Kewl! :D

Well, gotta get the rest of the PI off of me..
Nite All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Last week!!!!
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rann- most excellent sunset!

yes it is dark here now, what a surprise.

77°(F)

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 74%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 29.97in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 72°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 96°F
Dew Point: 70°
Visibility: 8mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 82°
Wind Chill: 79°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 87°F
6hr High Temp: 96°F

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

May be more than tomorrow Joey...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weather Alert for us................

excessive heat warning remains in effect until 6 am edt
friday...

an excessive heat warning remains in effect until 6 am edt
friday.

temperatures will range from the mid 90s to near 100 degrees along
with high relative humidity levels. this will result in heat
index values ranging from 105 to 110 degrees over the next two
days.

==========================================================

It's curently 77° w/ an 89% Humidity

Temps calling for 100 today and tomorrow on the morning weather on the radio.

Ric

Se_eds – Wanna come over and clean my stove? That’s a chore that’s waaaay low on my radar! Pretty coleus! I’m so glad you and your plants got some rain. I love how my plants perk up. I believe they know the difference between rain and watering.
Deb – How about a rain dance in my direction!
Dyson – LOL!! It’s dark here too!
Ric & Pepper looks like y'all are scorching. Is that normal?

Heat advisory in effect until 6 PM EDT this afternoon...
80.6 °F / 27.0 °C --- Oh look it's almost 81°F and it's 6:18am
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 77 °F / 25 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 87 °F / 31 °C
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy and hazy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 90s. West winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Heat index readings 107 to 112. YIKES...

WX keeps saying highs in the upper 90's, yesterday in my car the reading was 102 at noon.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin'! Today will likely be the hottest day of the week with 90 degrees (according to Bluefield-the "air conditioned city") possible in several locations. Elsewhere, we will warm into the upper 80s with light westerly winds. A few widely isolated showers or storms will be possible this afternoon although most spots will remain dry and sunny.

Sidney! LOL! I don't get it like I used to! :D I came in the house 3 times & washed my arms etc. ~ all of the exposed parts. ;)
Dyson, you are so Full of surprises! :D I'd like to keep that wind chill all day today! :-)
Ric, even tho the TV station is calling for 90* we will be about 100*. We're usually 8* warmer than they are, because of their elevation. And the humidity will shove it on up there. Yuck! Stay "kewl"!
Sharon! Love the sky! So many nice views, you have! :D

The weather trivia for the day is....
What hurricane struck on January 2, 1955?
a) Hurricane Celine
b) Hurricane Sylvia
c) Hurricane Alice
d) Hurricane Constance

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey
(another view of Garrett's fine workmanship)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Joey, did Garrett take pictures of anything other than his jeep at the wedding? LOL

Your garden is beautiful, Rannveig!!

I should just say "ditto" about the weather. It has taken a while for the really hot weather to make it here this summer, but it has definitely arrived now! It is only going to be in the mid 90s today and tomorrow, and then it's going to be hotter over the weekend.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (56 min ago)
Temperature 78 °F 26 °C
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.5 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir S 190°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 9 mi 14.5 km
Heat Index 84 °F 29 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 78.1°F / 25.6°C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 79.0°F / 26.1°C

Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy late in the morning then becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 104 to 107.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: I guess, "C", for Alice.
Sharon: With all your wonderful clouds, I thought you'd have rain? Sorry - dancing faster in a southerlly direction now. :)
Ric: We've got the excessive heat warning, too!
CNN showed warning areas all over the eastern 3rd of the U.S.

This our local forecast:
An excessive heat warning remains in effect until 9 PM EDT this
evening. High will range from the upper 90s to
lower 100s. These temperatures combined with high levels of
humidity will produce dangerous heat index values of 114 to 119
degrees.. Some areas closer to the coast could see heat indices briefly exceed 120 degrees. Heat indices up to 110 degrees are even expected at the beaches today.

For once, I'm happy to be inside my office with the a/c. :)
Deb

(Zone 5a)

Good morning! and thanks everyone for your compliments - you're too kind ;-)

Seeds - very pretty daylily and coleus :-)

Joey - love the yellow flower :-)

Jeeeeeshhh you're all cooking down there ! Seems 90's and 100's are this weeks theme ...... hope you all manage to stay close to the a/c and keep cool! (or should I say "kewl" ;-) lol)
I remember only one time in the 6 years I lived in Florida that the temperature got around 100°F - we got out of school early because it didn't have a/c in all classrooms - it was a miserable week .......

Well, it's raining here , rather breezy and 58°F - very typical summer weather ........... definately a day to stay inside.

I know I already posted this on another thread - sorry for the repeat Joey and Kiska - taken the same night as the other one ;-)

Hope you have a great day !

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig

Joey – Does Garrett do custom work professionally? If not, he would be awesome at it! I’m going with C also.
Deb – That pic was taken 3 days ago. All we are is hazy now so there’s nothing in the sky to take a picture of ---sigh.
Rann – We're cooking down here! That’s a beautiful sunset – the colors! Wow!

Speaking of heat advisories…has anyone heard from Adina lately?

Heat index readings 107 to 112.

93.7 °F / 34 °C
Haze
Humidity: 45% - what's the word I'm looking for? Pshaw!!! I think that's it!
Dew Point: 69 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 13 out of 16

Another taken a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Sharon! And thanks :-) I was just thinking the same thing about Adina .....

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I can not keep up with the number of mia's

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, a lot of really neat pictures! Especially of the sky!

I'm hopelessly behind again and will be busy tomorrow too :((

It's been really hot all week, but I go out anyway and weed. Tomatoes are having a bad year :(( I have made a lot of freezer cucumbers :))

85* and chance of rain.

Dobsonfly, looks like it bites, but it doesn't. This is a female. The larvae live in the water and make good fish bait. We found her on the screen last night when we were coming in the house.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sharon we're in the Dog Days of August. July 3 thru August 11.
(Usually the hottest time here)
Currently 99° at the airport 4 miles from us.
There is a nice West breeze and T-Storms are popping up all around west of us.
Backyard temp only 97° .
I did do some deep watering so........

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
excessive heat warning remains in effect until 6 am edt
friday...

temperatures will climb into the 95 to 100 degree range again on
thursday. this will combine with high relative humidity levels to
produce heat index values ranging from 105 to 110 degrees thursday
afternoon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I broke down and put in the AC Unit in the LR yesterday afternoon.
In here it's 77 and a 25% humidity..... ahhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Here's the explaination for Dog Days:
The brightest of the stars in Canis Major (the big dog) is Sirius, which also happens to be the brightest star in the night sky. In fact, it is so bright that the ancient Romans thought that the earth received heat from it. Look for it in the southern sky (viewed from northern latitudes) during January.

In the summer, however, Sirius, the “dog star,” rises and sets with the sun. During late July Sirius is in conjunction with the sun, and the ancients believed that its heat added to the heat of the sun, creating a stretch of hot and sultry weather. They named this period of time, from 20 days before the conjunction to 20 days after, “dog days” after the dog star.

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.