August Daily Weather

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Currently 92 deg - it cooled down some. We actually got 1/2 inch of rain last night. Dew Point is 69 deg. I was out digging until 9:30 AM then it got up to 86 deg and I quit that.
We are under heat advisories too. We had this kind of weather when we were kids, just no Weather Channel to advise of what to do.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Hot enough, but not as bad as what most of the rest of you have to deal with. (Don't worry, I'll pay my dues yet. Sometimes we get some of our hottest weather in September.)

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 08, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
85 °F / 29 °C
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SSE

(Zone 5a)

Sally - good to know it doesn't bite - it would scare the heck out of me if I'd meet one of those! lol Nice to hear from you :-)

Ric - thanks for the explanation of Dog Days - that is the name of the old norse month that is partly in July - not sure when it starts and ends. Never knew why it was called that :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

B_P – That’s a creepy lookin’ critter you’ve got there! LOL!!
Ric- I couldn’t live without my a/c. I don’t know how you do. I had no idea about the background to “dog days”. Makes sense!
Rann – Beautiful rose(?)!

86.9 °F / 30 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 24 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 96 °F / 36 °C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4600 ft / 1402 m
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft / 2743 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening and hazy. Lows in the upper 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Heat advisory in effect until 7 PM EDT Thursday.

Taken about 30 minutes ago - hazy

Thumbnail by MySharona

sunset tonight

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

For 22 years we worked in a non-AC building.... I worked 18 years outside before that.
We learned the tricks.
The biggest is no AC at home except for sleeping.
Now I'm working in AC.... so evenings are a bit tough but it's only for a one more day.

It's supposed to break on Friday...then upper 80's and mid 60's...... for a week at least.
Storms are hitting all around us and we're getting a few nice cool breezes...
then right back up to 90 it goes.....
Even the outside cats have come in to sleep.....

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank goodness for lemonade! :)

My EEs love this weather. Wish I could say the same.
Found this little baby anole creeping around. Teeny, tiny thing.

We hit 103 today.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
We used to buy them as 'Cameleons' at the Circus when I was a Kid.....

Great Shot!
It's definitely Anole weather here too!

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yea, Ric They may even meander up this way! ;) The high here was 96* today & at the moment it's only down to 80*. I went out to water the flowers this evening (which I think is a no-no) & broke out in a sweat just walking around! :-O

Sharon, looks as if it's rather muggy there, too! But that is really weird ... You're cooler than we were! I know one thing...all my plants have shot up at an astounding rate in the past couple of days! They must like the humidity way better than me! :D No, to Garrett being a pro at body work. That was his 1st vehicle (that was different colors) & he is not a lazy kid (always has to be doin' somethin)..still has 4 years of college (at least) to go.
Rann! Love the Rose! It looks like the one my granny had when I was a kid! Gorgeous!
Ric, thanks for the info about "dog days". The only thing that I associated it with were the snakes sheading their skins. Quite interesting! :-)
Kelli, 30% humidity sounds pretty good right now...
Sally, that's what us mountain folk call "helgramites" and they are excellant for catfish fishin'! :D The females are good, too...we just tear the wings off & put them on a hook! :D
Dyson, I think that you should be put in charge of all the MIA's. :D You do such a fine job! :D
But seriously... I hope that Adina's mom is OK.
Deb, try to stay "kewl"! :-O

Well the answer to the trivia is...C!
Hurricane Alice struck with winds measured to 85 mph.

Have a Good Evening!
Joey
(the poochie at rest)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

84° W/ A 70% Humidity (Heat Index 90°) at nearly 10 PM and no breeze........ Yuck!
Storms still all around us..... as usual they are breaking up at the county line and the Ohio River... all we are getting now is distant thunder...

Oh well plenty of AC and the plants are all watered.
As mentioned by Joey everything is jumping up out of the dirt.
The Bananas and EE's are a foot taller than last week.....

Well off for a soak and some AC.....
Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Temps here at the house got to 105* on the north side. At work it only got to 93*. Lots of rain north of the river but none here. We need it bad but this is August so we won't get much. Had a really nice heavy breeze today so it was tolerable.....barely. lol

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Can't catch up with all of you.
Joey, you brought back memories of going fishin' with my brother. We always stopped at the creek and turned over rocks till we found a few helgramites. Hadn't thought of that in years.

Just watched some pictures of the mess in Brooklyn. An F2 for heaven's sake.

We were a mellow 99* today - with not a cloud in sight. sighhh. It's 79* now at quarter of eleven in the evening.

Dyson, hope you are doing better each day. In some way.

During the lightning storm that crossed the valley Sunday nite the tree next my son's driveway took a direct hit. It's a multiple trunk elm that may survive [partly] but it's gonna lose the middle trunk. see pic. ~Blooms

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Wow Blooms - sorry about the tree - glad there wasn't more damage though.

Thanks Joey and Sharon - it's an alba rose called 'Celestial' and it really is - it has a heavenly scent too ;-)

Sharon - love your photos - it does look very hazy - has a somewhat romantic look to it when you don't have to live with it ;-)

Joey - energizer pooch looks tired from the heat.

It's clearing up as I'm writing this and the temperature is up to 64°F :-) Looks like it could be a good day to be outside :-)

Hildur Eva in her princess dress playing crocquet (sp??) last weekend ....... the dress did get a bit in her way - but little princesses don't let that stop them ;-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Light, overcast, 76°(F), Heat advisory in affect w/a predicted heat index of 100° to 104° this afternoon. Someone needs to get rid of that doggy star thing.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 69%
Wind: 300° (WNW) at 8mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 29.97in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 76°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 100°F
Dew Point: 69°
Visibility: 9mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 83°
Wind Chill: 80°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 81°F
6hr High Temp: 94°F

Ric – My hat is off to you. I can’t imagine working with no a/c. Jeff and Gary (oldest SS) work outside during the day. I do laundry daily this time of year because they come home shower and change clothes up to 3x a day. It’s awful. They start work earlier in the day now and stop around 2:30. It’s just a hot hot heat.
Deb – We’ve got baby anoles all over the place too. Have to watch your step as they race across the sidewalk! Sooo cute!
Joey – That Jack is one handsome doggie!
Blooms – Your son is so lucky there wasn’t more damage. Glad the tree may make it.
Rann- Hildur Eva is simply gorgeous in her princess gown!
Dyson – Love the windchill of 80°!

80.4 °F / 26.9 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 76 °F / 24 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 86 °F / 30 °C
Visibility: 2.5 miles / 4.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 5500 ft / 1676 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Heat advisory in effect until 7 PM EDT this evening...
Today
Partly cloudy and hazy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Hot and humid with highs in the upper 90s inland...in the mid 90s coast. West winds 5 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon. Heat index readings 106 to 111.

taken yesterday - it's so hazy the sky looks white

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That is such a sweet picture of Hildur Eva, rannveig!

Welcome back, Blooms. :-)

We have the anoles, too, and I think they're really cute. My husband took this picture a year or so ago. It's on the glass of our side door.

Oh, yeah, and it's hot! LOL 93% humidity, going to be in the mid 90s, going to feel like 104-107°. Icky, but perfectly normal for Houston in August.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sharon and Marylyn :-)

Here's a weather update - it clouded up pretty fast again and now it's raining cats and dogs - this is very good news for the plants :-) And I had to run errands today anyway so I'm pretty happy with it too ;-)

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! (or what's left of it) It's the HHH & muggy out there. The temp is climbing on up! This morning @ 8:00 it was 76* & now it is 80*. I was gonna do some work outside, but I may have to forgo it.

Marylyn, what a cute picture. Quite a different perspective! btw, *grinning* Garrett didn't take the Jeep pics! I took them while he was trying to leave the reception. ;) The pics he took weren't quite "up to par", because he didn't have the camera on the right setting. (see below)
Thanx, Sharon...Do take care! It's way too hot! But the humidity is what will get ya. Makes it harder to breathe! :-O
Dyson! LOL! I think the "doggy star thing" is here to stay. :D
Rann, that is an absolute Precious pic of Hyldur Eva! Looks like she's really concentrating & working hard to win! :D And Jack is having a tough time with the heat...I'm so thankful that he has the AC to come in to. Being black makes it worse. Glad you got some arin! :D
Blooms, sad about the Elm. Glad that some of it will be saved, tho. Yep, "back in the day" fishing like that was a heap of fun! ;)

The weather trivia for the day is...
What was the 24 hour precipitation record set in 1992 in Miami, FL?
a) 3.07 Inches
b) 2.82 Inches
c) 3.75 Inches
d) 4.16 Inches

Stay "KEWL"!
Joey
(does this image give the the thought of...Follow the light..?)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Here's one of the pics that Garrett took...

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

Good morning -
53* ~~ raining.
Gotta run, guests will be getting up soon and there are places to go:))
loved the photos - princess is a doll -
I'll pass on the crawling things...nothing like that here, and it suits me fine..
Will check in as time permits.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

95°(F) - Who let the dog out?

95.0 °F / 35 °C
Haze
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa(Steady)
Heat Index: 102 °F / 39 °C

Dyson - I don't know, but I'm ready to shove 'em back in!

Taken this morning around 8:50 (dentist appt)

Thumbnail by MySharona

one more update

97.9 °F / 36.6 °C
Haze
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4.3 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 107 °F / 42 °C

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 2:50 PM

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 3:46 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marylyn I'd say that's a Gecko hanging on the glass there.
Great shot!

Fairy Golf! Love it rannvieg!

We once more we're at 99° here... HI 105° more CA in humidity and breeze today though.

The Forecast has drastically changed here.
Now they are saying 92+° thru next Thurs lows will be in the 60's though so not too bad.

Ric

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Loved the Dog days lesson, Ric that's an Anole Lizard belly. I have about 1,000 in my tiny yard. Right now babies are about 1", that's body and tail.
Just wish the Anoles ate theose huge Palmeto Roaches..........Yuk!!!
Sharon has covered the gruddy weather out.
Rann loved the princess. I do a little princess dance myself now and then.
Kiska, I love Nasturstrum flowers in my salids, leaves too.
Great pictures everyone.
Blooms Glad your son is okay.
;)

(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone! She's such a princess at heart ...... I asked her a few times if it wouldn't just be easier to change into pants .... or a shorter skirt but she wouldn't hear of it! lol

Sidney - Yuk! don't mention those awful palmettos ....... brings back some chills ..... lol

I have never tried eating the nasturtiums ....... yours are very healthy looking Kiska!

Joey - I see the light! Beautiful MG :-)

We got a very generous helping of rain today - it's stopped for now but I think we're supposed to get more tonight and tomorrow. 58°F at the moment (8:30 pm) and very slightly breezy.

I believe there is a bit of fall color starting to show already on some of the leaves ..........

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we are now officially at 100° .
HI of 107° .
Can't remember that last time we actually hit 100° but it's been a while....

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Storm came through and dropped us back to 77 deg with 82% humidity at this time. Has been very hot and muggy. I started digging plants early this AM, did about 1/2 doz and quit. Came in the cool and made an apple pie for my sweetie, instead.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

There are geckos here in Houston, too, although I've never seen any in our yard. We have some friends who live a bit southwest of here and the geckos keep them awake during mating season. They are LOUD! They're a bit bigger than our cute little anoles, but not nearly as huge as they sound. LOL

Sorry, Kiska.. We'll stop with the crawly things already and get on with our regularly schedule dog days. :-)

It's hot! The little bunny needed some vaccinations before school starts (August 27th here), and we don't have insurance yet from DH's new job, so we went to a clinic in Katy, which is the first suburb west of Houston. They only charge $12/shot, which is really really nice. I switched cars with DH at lunch time and we took the car with A/C. Yayyy!

It's only 94° out there right now. It's going to be hotter over the weekend. Ugh. I think this bridge would be a much cooler place to be right now... My DH was in Oregon a couple of years ago for a conference and he snuck away during one of their break times and found a GORGEOUS park. This was just one of the waterfalls there.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

I'm melting :P

Greenwich, OH

Here in Ohio the temperature has cooled down to 70 degrees.Had Tornado warnings in our area the last 2 hrs.ago.A tornado done damage about 20 miles south of us in Shelby,OH.
took off roofs,silos,trees.Bad!thing I was taking a nap and woke up to bad storm and didn't realize We was under a tornado warning.Looks like more storms possible heading our way this evening.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

93°(F) Just went out and trimmed the grass back around on of the only two rose bushes, no wind and it was hot out there but I cut the grass by hand w/a pair of scissors because I did not want to get to close to the small bush w/the weed eater.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Kinda the same old here.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 09, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
86 °F / 30 °C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SSE

There was a small earthquake centered a few miles from here last night. It was enough to wake me up. I doubt there was any damage anywhere.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

We received another 1 1/2 inches of rain last night and today bringing the total for the week to 5 inches. Everything here is a vibrant green again.

blooms........looks like that trunk is a goner. We have had quite a bit of lighting here as well.

rann..........what a cutie! I love fall, but it's
way too early for fall colors!

Henry..........You're not that much farther south then me but your temps are running a good 10 degrees higher.

Photo.......I started some tithonia from seed last winter and the butterflies are loving it.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One more photo...........Although it's getting late in the summer I still have quite a bit of color. Pictured: tithonia, cup plant, cleome, blackeyed susans. I'm not sure what the tall white flower in the foreground is.

Edited to add: the cup plant on the left side is 9' tall!

early_bloomer

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening All! Well, it's been HHH here, too. It was 98* on the deck (in shade) at 4:00p.m. In all my years I have never known it to be this hot! Several years tho, it go into the low 90's, and we all thought that That was hot! :-) I've been inside most of the day. Every time I ventured out Jack would go with me..when I came in, he came in. Once, he wanted to go inside w/out me! Yep, I was laughing at him...pour fella.

E_B, you still have some marvelous color! I noticed on todays weather map that central PA got some major storms & I was thinking that you got some...glad that you did!
Se_eds, glad you got some rain! :D The apple pie sounds Yummy! and I know that your "sweetie" enjoyed it.:-)
Kelli, 86* for the hi sounds really good to me! It's 80* outside right now! :-O
Skimper, take care! Tornado's or even the threat are scarey!
Ric, I'm glad that you have some sort of AC. This kind of heat is serious.
Marylyn, thanx for the refreshing view! I just may have to go to the river tomorrow! & get my feet wet!
Rann, it looks as if you Do have some fall colors showing! :-O Glad you could see the light!;)
Sharon, try to stay "kewl"! Relief will be here soon, I have faith!
Sidney, What are Palmeto Roaches? Are they really large? Doesn't sound good...

Well, the answer to the trivia is...D
Their previous record was 3.07 set in January 30, 1953

Good Evening.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

As I said work is climate controlled so not bad at all.

Here at home we turn on the LR AC around 5 pm to eat and watch TV.
Off again around 8... we go out and water of sit in the yard then...

If this holds on much long I'll put the window unit in here in the Computer Room.
This heat is hell on the tower...

Bedroom AC has been on for weeks.
It's upstairs and deathly hot in this weather.
It's almost 10 PM here and the outside temp is 93° (Heat Index 99°)
As I need to get up early ..... cool is the only way to sleep.

The good news is the tomatos are starting to ripen finally! lol

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: Be happy that you don't know about Palmetto bugs! :) ... Large?...Uh...yep. Creepy and disgusting? MmmHmm.
Giant flying cockroach, basically...3 inches long, not unheard of.
Deb

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Joey! Yeah, we have enough rain for now. The ground goes squish, squish, squish when I walk on it now. Is that last photo a balloon flower? Now that's what I call a FUN wedding!

No earthquakes, tornados, anoles or palmeto roachs here. Good night.

early_bloomer

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Eewww! Deb, That sounds positively Nasty! :P When some one mentions raoches I automatically think of the movie MIB. Now That was nasty! :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.