August Daily Weather

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yep, E_B...it was fun! Here they were coming down the road with a line of cars behind them! :D [Sounds like a wonderful "soaking"]

Edited to say: It's supposed to be a "Blue" Balloon Flower.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: What a pretty variation of your blue balloon flower. :)
Deb

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

81° (Heat Index 85°) @ 5:45 Dark ........
I think this is the highest 'Low' I ever remember...... can you set a record for a High Low?

The 100° 's yesterday set one....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney – I didn’t know nasturtiums were edible. What do they taste like?
Rann – It’s hard for me to imagine Fall in August, but your garden picture is proof! Just beautiful!
Ric – We didn’t get to 100, but it sure felt like it. 101 was a record heat here a couple of years ago.
Se_eds – 77 ahhhhhhhh!
Marylyn – I have friends from my elementary/jr high school days that live in Houston/Katy area. Katy was a little bitty town then. When I moved to Florida in 84 the Katy area had just started really growing up. Beautiful waterfall!
Skimper – Welcome and so glad you stayed safe from the tornados!
Kelli – So calm about the “earthquake near here” and “it woke me up”! Which is worse an earthquake or a hurricane?
E_B – 70 ahhhhhhhh! Wonderful photos! You and Rann have such lovely gardens!
Joey – Palmetto bugs, flying cockroaches…need I say more? They’re just gross.
Ric – God Bless you. Please be very careful in the heat – it’s so bad.
Joey _ Dontcha’ love it when your plants do some odd thing! One of my LM flowers bloomed almost white all the rest are red. I’ll find the picture. It blew my away when I saw it! LOL!
Dyson - I'm glad I'm not the only one that has special scissors for small jobs! You be careful in the heat too.

78.8 °F / 26.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Heat advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Today
Partly cloudy and hazy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the morning. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Very hot and humid with highs in the upper 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Heat index readings 108 to 113.

Taken yesterday around 10:30am - after the dental appt. :P

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here's the picture...sure was pretty!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey every one I thought Id join the group! We have had extreme temps here for about 3 days also. Yesterday reached 103 and today is forecasted as being 105! the Humidity is 83% , It fells like were drinking in the air instead of breathing!

DH and I got away though , for a couple of days, we went to the N.E. Georgia Mountains and it was 75 degrees in the mountain cove where we stayed ! We camped right on a Creek and it was heavenly!
Here is a photo. I want you all enjoy this cooling little Creek as much as we did!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's 70*, but still rather muggy. A weak cold front with isolated or widely scattered showers will linger close to the region today and eventually move through. This front along with several weak disturbances could kick off a shower or storm at any time today, although most of us will remain dry with another hot day on tap.

Eufaula, Welcome! and thanks for the "kewl" & refreshing little falls....looks prime for wading! ;D
Kelli, hope you don't have anymore rude awakenings! :-O
Sharon! Wow! That would be a shocker! That's totally amazing! Hope that you stay "kewl" today! Sounds as if it'll be another scorcher for ya! :-O
Ric, LOL that may have to be a record for the Hi-Low! You may want to start it! :D
Thanks, Deb. They were blue for years! Now they are all white w/blue specks & stripes! Wonder why they do that? I used to have white lilies (years ago), but only for the 1st year...after that they were completely dark red! Go figure...

Todays trivia is...
When a severe Thunderstorm struck Goldsboro, North Carolina, what were the winds measured at?
a) 100 mph
b) 112 mph
c) 146 mph
d) 174 mph

Have a Great Day! & stay "kewl"! (Dyson ~ look what you started!)
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome, Skimper and Eufaula! :-)

We're having more of the same, weather-wise. I'm actually having to water the garden! I think this is the first time this summer.

I'm guessing C, Joey.

What's an LM, Sharon? That's really pretty, even if it is the wrong color. :-)

(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

Thanks EB:-) Love the photo of the butterfly and your gardens are gorgeous!

I think it's much too early for fall too - I'm actually terribly depressed about the whole thing. I'm just not ready for summer to be over yet ........

Joey - when we moved to Florida, palmetto bugs were a BIG shocker since we're not used to bugs bigger than our pinkie-fingernail ;-) My brother was 5 when we moved there and he called them "Risavillikakkalakkar" (how's that for a tongue twister lol ) which would translate as Giant Wild Cockroaches - I still get chills thinking about them.

Hi Eufaula - pretty waterfall :-) Glad you managed to get out of the heat!

It's cloudy today and not raining as hard as yesterday - just a few drizzles now and then. It's very warm, 63°F and fairly calm so not too bad at all ........

Hope you all have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice to have you here and Skimper and Eufaula too. Love all those pictures and I wanna put my feet in that creek.
Sharon Nasties taste like radishes except they are prettier. I have 2 I need to replant today. Well heat's on it's way. My car has read 100º a couple of times.
84.0 °F / 28 °C
Haze
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h from the SW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Camera worked about one hour before the screen went out again.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

Good morning -
May I cool you all down a bit?:)) Sounds very uncomfortable down there.

53*, sunny and not a cloud in the sky.
A blue sky day is rare and I'm so glad my sister is here to share it.
Here's a handful of hail from yesterday.
Welcome to you both, skimper and Eufaula.
Sorry to be so brief, but I'm enjoying the posts.
Hatcher Pass/ handful of hail yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Eufaula – Welcome! Such a pretty creek!
Joey – I’m going with A. Great picture!
Marylyn – LM = Lady Margaret passion vine.
Rann & Kiska – your areas are the places to be!

First Coast Forecast
An Excessive Heat Warning is in effect for S. E. Georgia, from 1 P.M. until 7 P.M. Friday. This warning is issued because daytime heat indices are expected to exceed 110 degrees, and overnight lows fall to 80 degrees or above for at least two consecutive days. During this heat warning, Georgia residents are urged to stay out of the sun as much as possible, drink lots of water and check on heat sensitive kids, adults and pets.
T-storm chances increase Saturday and Sunday and afternoon highs will retreat a bit.
In the tropics nothing is developing at this time.

95.7 °F / 35 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 98 °F / 37 °C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2500 ft / 762 m

Heat advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Today
Partly cloudy and hazy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the morning. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Very hot and humid with highs in the upper 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. Heat index readings 108 to 113.

Doesn't seem to be quite as humid for a change. I drive past the local airport everyday. I seem to be getting buzzed often these last couple of weeks!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow, Kiska, who's who?
Joey I've been to Goldsboro and I'll guess 112mph.
Too hot to do anything outside.
;)

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

93° here in NE Alabama

Feels Like:104°
Barometer: 29.87 in and falling
Humidity: 56%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 75°
Wind: W 8 mph

No rain in sight!

Edited to say NE Alabama, not NW.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 8:10 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, bamagirl! Welcome to the Weather forum. :-)

(Zone 5a)

Hi Kiska - great photo :-)

Hi bamagirl - and welcome :-)

We got a really heavy rain shower this afternoon - a real Florida style downpour. lol That doesn't happen very often here - the girls thought it was really cool :-)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

The weather people keep pushing back the day that we are supposed to get a break from the 'excessive heat warning"s.
1st it was Thurs, then Sat, now they say Monday. And the "break" means low 90s. Arghhh. My tropicals are loving this weather, but everything else is gasping for water each evening when I get home.

Kiska, it looks like you're having fun with your company there.
Eufala: that little stream looks sooo inviting right now!

We hit 100 again today. Now, almost 8pm, it's 90. WOW! What a blast of cool air! LOL!

Clematis "Elsa Spath", blooming in the rose bush.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Welcome Bamagirl!
Rann - I sure would love a good old Florida downpour! Nothing for at least a week - 10 days.
Deb - Pretty Clematis! We keep hearing the same thing...

86.3 °F / 30.2 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 77 °F / 25 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 98 °F / 36 °C --- Okay we're dyin' here!
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Clouds: Few 4500 ft / 1371 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Heat advisory in effect from 12 PM to 8 PM EDT Saturday...
Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming light inland. Heat index readings of 95 to 100 during the evening.

Taken today - this one live oak trees' canopy covers the span of the road. I love this tree.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the welcome!

I just came in from watering my plants and trees, I waited until sundown in hopes that it would be a little cooler. I look like I got watered instead! The humidity is still terrible here!

Eufaula that little creek sure does look good right now!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the heat broke... kinda... it was 93... still 82 out but dropping to 70 by morning.
We'll continue to see 90's but WAY cooler nights!!! Yay!

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

If I sounded lacsidasical about the earthquake yesterday, it was because it didn't amount to anything. I had about 10 seconds of terror while it was occurring, wondering if it was going to get stronger or if that was it. I didn't get out of bed, just listened for some part of the house to collapse. Houses make a lot of noise in earthquakes.

"Which is worse, a hurricane or an earthquake?" I've never been in a hurricane or personally experienced the aftermath, but I'd say that a hurricane is worse. I think that a lot more people have died in U.S. hurricanes than in U.S. earthquakes, and it appears that hurricane damage is more widespread. Hurricanes occur a lot more often, too. It is true with hurricanes, because of advance warnings you can evacuate- at least in theory.

Weather here about the same as yesterday.

How about a picture from the "archives"? This is the alpine garden at the Jardin des Plantes in Paris.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Greetings to our new posters. The more the merrier. I am reporting from a COOOL north CentralPa. Current temps 77 F and low relative humidity. How I love it. We have had over 1 inch of rain in the past two days. Flowers are blooming, weeds are jumping - tomatoes are big and juicy - who could ask for anything else?

It is dark here.

Will get out the old faithful rotortiller tomorrow morning and dig up some new dirt. LOL
Blooming today, a seedling daylily I raised

Thumbnail by se_eds
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot here and will be for another week at least. Heat index in Kansas City was 110* today and a reporter looked like he was gonna have a heat stroke at one point.

At work we are trying to work in the air conditioning as much as possible but it is hard. Alot of my coworkers were really red by the end of the day and not looking good. But so far no one has gotten really sick from the heat. Just a few minor issues and those are not as frequent since we are getting a little more used to the heat.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu! Well, we broke the high record! We were 101* and I have been sweating since 2:00 pm. At the moment it's 80*.

Ric, I hope that we get a break in the temps like you did!
Bamagirl, Welcome to the thread!
Thanks Sharon, I love that Oak, too! :D That one must be Massive!
Deb, I love your Clematis w/thorns. ;-)
Rann! You must have had a "gullywasher"! How would you say that in Icelanic or is there such a word? I won't even attempt to say Flying Cockroach! :D That Lily is most unusual in color! Wow!
Kiska, you looks as if you have your hands full! :-O If I were you I would keep track of how much snow you get this winter. It's just something I would do if hail isn't a common occurance.
Se_eds, Your Lily! Wonderful! and it has something wet on it! ;-) So glad that you're getting the "much needed" rain! :D
Kelli, that is a Gorgeous alpine garden! Thanks, for sharing. :D

The answer to the days trivia is...C (100)
This was reported at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base.

Have a good nite & stay "Kewl"!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

DANG - are you folks all trying to catch up to our high desert temps? I'd rather have it without the humidity tho.

I had a real long message going. and going is what it did when I looked at Sharon's wonderful shading oak. I was so trying to catch up on all of you. Sharon, also wanted to say how much I liked your ocean/pilings shots.

Kelli, you had me ROFL with your: " It is true with hurricanes, because of advance warnings you can evacuate- at least in theory." haha a LOT of things work in theory.

Eufala, I soaked my feet in your creek till they felt cold. thanks for the shot of cool.

Rann, she's such a darling little princess. And your gardens are great. and that pink lily is divine.

I'm gonna post a pic of a holly hock flower in my girl friends garden. before I lose this again.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I forgot... weather - :) tee hee
High today was only 101
Low was a beautiful 66
It's 83 out now at 11 o'clock
with humidity of 12% that's higher than the 6% we had earlier today.
the storms added up to .62 of an inch overall. again depending on your location in the valley.

Here's a hipshot I took on my drive yesterday. We had coloring book clouds and the clearest skies we've had in a looong time. thanks to the showers taking down the air borne blow sand.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
(Zone 3b)

Seems a shame to do this, ~~but, it's 67* and sunny at 9:45pm.
Sugarweed - who's who ~~my sister, (Sac-Valley) is wearing the green sweater.
Welcome bamagirl.
Seeing all those high temperatures posted makes me realize why we never leave Alaska in the summer:))
Gotta hand to you all for being able to deal with those temperatures.
Time to get back to guests - sun's shining on Pioneer Peak, the spotting scope is aimed at the Dall Sheep on the mountainside; the smore's are finished, and we're just winding down.
Glad to see all the photos despite the heat. Love the Paris garden, Kelli.
Blooms, the hollyhock is a gorgeous color. I can recall pink and white ones, but nothing like that.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli – Gorgeous picture! I’m cracking up - “In theory”!! LOL!!!
Se_eds – Pretty Lily – such a soft color!
Joey – Your morning glory is glorious!
Blooms – The holly hock is gorgeous! Love that red! Nice clouds.
Kiska – Sounds like you’re having a great time! Berries on the vine – yummmmm!

My car registered 101 yesterday. It’s blazing hot.

79.5 °F / 26 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 87% :P
Dew Point: 75 °F / 24 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 84 °F / 29 °C
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m

Heat advisory in effect from noon today to 8 PM EDT this evening...
Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 109 to 114.

Another plane landing - keeps driving interesting!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Thanks Blooms - it's so nice to see you posting again :-) We've missed those wonderful photos of yours. Gorgeous hollyhock and love the second photo of clouds and wonderful landscape :-)

Joey - we don't really have a term for a downpour like that since they're a rare occurence - what we'd normally call a downpour might be a gentle shower by your standars. Downpour is "hellidemba" - when it pours down like yesterday - the term would be - " this is like somewhere abroad!!" lol

Kelli - gorgeous photo of the garden in Paris!!! Wow! :-)

Seeds - beautiful daylily!

Joey - love the MG's :-)

Sharon - that is one huge live oak!

Kiska - yummy! Sounds like you had a perfect day yesterday! 67°F sounds divine :-)

It's 61°F here at 11 am, partly cloudy and not-so-breezy at the moment. We're supposed to see some sun today according to the forecast :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

64° at 7:30AM ................
And the Plants say......... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ric

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning! Well We will hit 104 again today it looks like! The humidity will be down though, to 79% instead of 83%, yaaaaay!
It was so hot yesterday that we couldnt stay outside at all but for an hour at a time! I have the thermostat set on 82 degrees and it felt like a refrigerator in here, after being outside in 105 temp!

Heres another photo from the Mountain Stream......We had to take avantage of the icy cold water for something!!!!!LOL!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Mmmmmmmmmmm - ice cold watermelon!!

(Zone 5a)

I second that mmmmmmmmmmmmm :-) Now I want an ice cold watermelon ..... lol - better go find something cold to drink. It's up to 64°F now and the sun's out :-)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bright, overcast, 78°(F)

GTG house sit for mom she is on dial-up so that should put a cramp in things for the weekend.

Have a good day all.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 64%
Wind: 0° (N) at 5mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 75°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 99°F
Dew Point: 64°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 3200ft
Heat Index: 77°
Wind Chill: 77°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 75°F
6hr High Temp: 80°F

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Morning All! It's 72* at the moment and a high pressure over Lake Michigan will move in slightly cooler and drier air tonight. Tonight we're looking for partly cloudy skies with a 20% chance of a shower thru the early evening. Lows tonight will be in the mid 60s.

Eufaula, ditto! Yuummmm! :D
Thanks Rann, is that a J. Maple? So pretty. And I think I could actually say "downpour" :D
Sharon, thanks. Glad that you have a bit of entertainment on the way to work! :D
Kiska, those R-berries look mighty good! :D
Blooms, Love the "hip shot"! I have missed your perfect photo's as well. Got More? :-) And the Holly Hock! Wow! Love the Red. And don't worry...I have gone to click a pic after starting my post & lost everything, too. I've gotten so I "copy" what I've written, go to the pic I want to view, & when I come back to my post...paste what I copied! It's actually a pain, but it works.
Dyson, Stay "Kewl"! :D and just because you'll have dial-up this week end ~ don't be a stranger! :D

Well, the trivia for the day is...
On average how many tornadoes occur in the United States each year?
a) 400
b) 800
c) 600
d) 200

Have a Great Day! and week end!
Joey
(yep, I've gone MG crazey!)

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

47* - sunny and bright.
Kiska

This message was edited Aug 11, 2007 6:57 AM

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

88° so far this morning.

Feels Like: 94°
Barometer: 29.99 in and steady
Humidity: 58%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 72°
Wind: NE 7 mph
High is expected to be: 100°

I would say on the average at least 800 tornadoes occur in the United States each year. We have our share of them here in Alabama and I am terrified of them. Most people around here have storm shelters and I want one too!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Blooms: I had to laugh at your "only" 101! That 12% humidity sounds wonderful, though. Gorgeous sky!
Rann: You have a very pretty shade garden.
Eufala: OK, the watermelon shot is just cruel. ;->
Joey: If I had MGs like yours, I'd be goin' "crazy", too. :) They're lovely, and your pictures are great.
I'm guessing 400 tornadoes.

Cloudy early this morning and blowing like a storm was coming so it was actually almost comfortable as I sat on the porch with my coffee. Sadly, no rain. Sunny and hot now,...again. On the bright side, high today is expected at 97, which at least is not the 100+ we've had this week.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hot, Hot, Hot - Don't know the exact temp. and not willing to wait for the page to load. Maybe I should see if the satellite gets the weather channel? Also I need to load a spell checker on this machine (I would have brought mine, but since it does not even have a modem it would have been next to useless).

I am gonna go turn the AC down a notch, Have a good afternoon all.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

90° here w/ a 38% Humidity and a nice light breeze
We worked outside all day ... not too bad.

Tonight we should be near 60 w/ near 100 tomorrow....
work will be done early for SURE!

No rain scheduled until at least next Saturday..... where are those afternoon T-Storms we always had as a kid?

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.