May Rains Bring More Colors

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

More irises.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

Misc.

I had 2 or 3 squirrels enjoying the seeds the other day. Red squirrels are always entertaining and somewhat behaved. It's the gray squirrels that need to stay outta my yard. lol

This rabbit was enjoying the weeds. Then I got into my garden and found my squash seeds dug up. I thought it was him so was cussing him out while he listened from the fence line for awhile. lol

This poor iris has a huge ant hill right in front of it. It's a short, old fashioned iris that I got in a trade a couple years ago. Very vigorous and I love it's color.

The burgundy one overtook my white one that was with it and the purple/white one. Luckily it's pretty. lol

This yellow came with the house. For the most part only had one or two for a long time then I moved it so it could really take off.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Pepper it looks like you love the Iris ,,, and enjoy the pets ,,,
pretty iris all of them ,,,

A few of Mine

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I do like them. It helps I was friends with the guy who hybridized the "Kansas City" iris. He volunteered at Powell until he couldn't do any work anymore then kept coming out to visit and chat every week. I'll have to find out if he's still alive or not. He was in his 90s when I last saw him and his goal was to live to over 100 like his friends. lol. Dr. Norlan Henderson is his name.

http://blog.powellgardens.org/?p=179

A pic of Doc. Quite a character too. lol

http://blog.powellgardens.org/?p=180

Alton, IL

Everyone has such pretty flowers! I'm sorry to do this 'en mass', but ........... Man, oh man! Everything is SO pretty!

LOL!! It looks good in pictures but in real life it's a mess with weeds everywhere thanks to all the rain. I need weeding volunteers.

Some of the plants I will be thinning out and bringing with me. Some of the irises, catmint, and a few Asiatic lilies for sure. And tiger lilies. I always have a ton of those. lol

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from dyanisme :
Everyone has such pretty flowers! I'm sorry to do this 'en mass', but ........... Man, oh man! Everything is SO pretty!

same here.. love all the different colors and kinds..

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah bp, you pretty much nailed it but her Sister in Virginia very likely won't ever return.
They had a falling out which may last forever unfortunately. Thanks Sally, I AM a good worker!

Oh, yes, pepper that would be a good spot for a shade garden. But, I'm gonna lobby for my Sister to remove some of those trees later. Those trees are too close together and I'm fairly certain they were only grown, years ago, as sources of firewood. They are Northern Red Oak and a Hickory, I think Shagbark Hickory, both firewood trees. I'd like her to keep one maybe 2 Red Oak trees and the same for the Hickories, they are neat, but thin them way out before they get too big and start looking ridiculous all close to each other. I've got to work on her to get the Silver Maples out of the front yard first though..lol I tell you, a flopper's work never ends..lol

Sure pepper, I'd volunteer to pull your weeds!

Those sure are some pretty flowers that you guys have grown.

I hauled the big boy of my collection today, my 15 - 20 year old Dwarf Pinus Strobus 'Nana' (Eastern White Pine). I wasn't about to let that drunken clown put it out for the trash. The rim of the pot it's in broke all up from moving it, the plastic is brittle now, hehe, that's the rim in some pieces in the trailer in the first pic. In the first pic it looks all bound down, I had to do that for the long ride, I would be ill if it fell out or something.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good morning world!

Pepper,
I'm one of those people who goes nuts if I don't know the names, LOL! It's why I'm making sure I get things re-tagged this year :o)
BEAUTIFUL BLOOMS!!
LOVE that birdhouse!!
Yep, we never had grey squirrels till a few years ago. Don't know where they came from but we don't like them!
We had a rabbit tear up the grass and tear into the moss phlox that was doing so beautifully. DH filled in the hole and put my green garden stakes in it, LOL! Giggling over your rabbit ''hiding.''
All iris are beautiful! I'll bet your last picture of the pale yellow iris is Flavescens. Hardy and vigorous! I rescued some from a ditch a few years ago...

Ju,
I love iris too. Mine are just coming on and I can't wait to see every one of them. Next month, I'll love all the daylilies!
BEAUTIFUL!

Pepper,
I would look him up! I'll bet he remembers you and would enjoy a visit!
Oh my gosh! Tell him I want every one of his iris, LOL! He looks awesome!

Will,
I wish her sister could see how you were the perfect roomie. Yep, I'd like to see that. I still think things happen for a reason and I can't wait to see what life has in store for you :o)
I agree on thinning the trees out. It's a shame to have too, but it's for the best. Lucky you to have hickory nuts. The trees around here were pretty much flooded out. I remember helping pick them up when I was a kid. Mom loved hickory pie.
Laughing! To the silver maples I say, you're a nice tree but you gotta go!!
Your pine is gorgeous and a treasure! It took the ride well. Will it ever need re-potted?

Foggy and a hot day a'comin!

Have a great day!!

Be back with pictures. I have to take them first :o)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was thinking (sort of) you know ,, if not for Silver Maples from the old days ,,, A lot of city or towns would be tree bare ,!!!
Well , those and Box Elders ,, dry , scorching earth , in 100's of degree category along the roads , did not and does not make for the best tree growing conditions

Will you might .try a good glue coat for the big planters every few years ,, you know the glue that withstands the freeze thaw routine .

Hi ya BillyP . meant to say that before ,! Rainy and cool 61 about here this morning ,, going for the 80's .. humid scorching ,, like your foggy humid ,, Better than zero and 20 to 30 mph winds , by far though ,, now If the tornado's would all go away , ^_^ darn things ,,,,
Your rose (Texas ) goes well with the Leopards Bane ,
Lots of Fulva Daylily , will be blooming here shortly ,, Another flower that grows faster than grass , Toads and frogs seem to love hiding in them .

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ju,
I grew up with a huge box elder tree and there was the stump of one when we moved here.
I have to agree with the fog since we don't have it too often. It wasn't peas soup. That is pretty awesome fog!
May is the end of the tornadoes. I was surprised to see Minnesota had one. I would never think they would. The world can get pretty scary!

Ok, now I really have to go :o)

Thanks Sally. I'm still thinking about what I want to do when I grow up..lol
I'm assuming they're Hickory trees, I haven't been here to see nuts. But, the bark is peeling style and the leaves are pinnately compound. I'll have to look again at the tree now, it appears it could be a Walnut. - http://forestry.about.com/od/treeidentification/tp/tree_key_id_hicash.htm
They coulda been more into valuable trees for woodworking or something and Walnut would be way up there, if not first. I forgot if Black Cherry is first or Walnut. Here is some of the best firewood woods. - http://forestry.about.com/cs/firewood/f/firewood_values.htm
Thanks bp, the Pine is doing well. My Mom said it was gorgeous too, right now it's getting rained on. Yeah, it needs repotted now. If I can find a lightweight pot for it I may get it.

Yeah Silver Maples haven't been good to me in recent years. We had an ice storm here and 2 big ones fell apart at my grandparent's house. It took me weeks to clean it all up. But, I can see where they grow fast and have probably been decent in places. It IS a native tree so that alone puts it above Bradford Pears and Ailanthus (Tree-Of-Heaven).
Glue might do that eh, I didn't know that, thanks ju, I may try that.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

..just reading

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Me too.... I will post later...

We got drowned up here AGAIN....geehz

I just got sprinkles out of that system. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Enough to make everything wet , then let the sunshine , then we have 90 to 100% humidity with the sun shining ....Who said you cannot take a real sun bath lol ^_^

Had another pop up come thru a couple hours ago and got a big ole downpour again. I hope next week is mostly dry so I can get into the garden and lay more newspaper down. I need to lay some down around my squash on the fence also so the yard doesn't overtake it.

Some more plants. This is my one and only major sunny bed. All the others are more shade.

Catmint, lilies, queen of the prairie, honey lily, baptisa, and a miniature hollyhock . Yarrow, OSO Easy Paprika miniature rose coming back after the burn. And lots of weeds. LOL!!

I have a bears breeches hiding among the lilies also. Looks like thistle or dandelion on shiny steroids until it blooms then the stalk is similar to yucca.

Ninebark Summer Wine blooming.

And finally a clematis. None of mine are doing much this year. Will need to cut them back and rejuvenate them.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

only hot here .. working on an incomplete watermelon bed
daisy blooming
a milkweed patch I have over 20 plants now , only weeds ,,lol
another iris today .. more purple than blue around the edges ,, I believe a "conjuration " by name ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cross posted there pepper , , I bet I have more weeds than you ,, You say Five milk thistle is bet ,, I will raise you two bull thistle , lol

Will several glues , will work , Gorilla Glue the small bottles ,, plumbers glue ,,, a few do ,,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

What I've read on the Internet about the apple seeds sprouting inside the apple, this only has been reported with pink lady apples. My apple was a pink lady. No one seems to have an explanation.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Someone did report the sprouted seeds inside a Fuji apple from China. Some folks believe it has to do with how long the apples are in cold storage. One person allowed their sprout to grow into a tree.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

GB I did not have the slightest idea of what was with that apple ,, Something new to me ,,!!!

Pepper .. I was waiting for you to say something here so I could say how pretty all your garden pics and flowers are ,, .. lol Don't pout or get angry ,,, having a little fun with ya ,, !!!
Clematis take a while to look really nice ,, I remember Dr Nolan from some place ,,, nice iris ,,

I got distracted by my phone and some other stuff. lol. Watching the skies for redevelopment and watching Flipping Ships. lol

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

we finally got a trickle of water in the basement which means we got rain 7 out of 14 days with more to come, no big deal in the basement we are used to it. lovely gardens and flowers, every one. . my stuff is all going nuts, not ever home to take pics, but Joe got a few for me. right now his potatoes on the patio look very exotic..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra my stuff is going jts thisyear too. Man you should see my hostas!! I swear they double in size over the winter. I will try and get some pics. They look so lovly this year. I even have my first clematis bud pop open. My son and i went and got some annuals and planted pots for two and a half hours. He helped me the whole time. Sure was fun. I really enjoyed him helping me.

Alton, IL

MAN! I don't think it's ever going to stop raining! On one hand, everything is growing like mad. Nothing is blooming yet, but everything is getting huge. The downside is that my lamb's ears look like they are drowning and the rain has been so hard that it's knocked off what few pretty flowers I had. Now, I have green plants surrounded by pretty petals lying in the mud. *sigh* And weeds! Oh my heavens, the weeds! They're everywhere and growing well, too. Trouble is, I don't really want weeds growing like......... well..... like weeds.

*sigh*

Enough with the rant. My brother came over today and said that my landscaping and plants looked (and this is a direct quote) "twice as good as [he] expected". I figure that either means that things are looking extremely good or he had very low expectations. :)

Btw, when I said that nothing was blooming yet, that wasn't completely true. The yucca that he planted last year? The one that started this whole gardening thing? Yeah, THAT'S the only thing starting to bloom. LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nicole and I did Spring cleaning all day and ended running out to buy a new vac. It really sucks which is a good thing when buying a new vac. It speeded things up. Now I'm relaxing and enjoying my fresh clean house. I'm not going to mention the yard. That will be another day.

Here I was pulled over, about halfway, checking on the plants, they were real sports the whole way!

Gorilla Glue eh ju, I love Gorilla Glue.

This message was edited May 16, 2015 11:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I just transported more plants today. These here came for the ride today. - pic #1
They behaved good as expected coming down the highway, they handled 35 mph well! - pic #2
Here's my storage unit, you won't see any weeds in front of mine! I pulled them all with pliers several days ago, that's them on the ground..lol - pic #3

When I was over at my former abode, I got a few pictures. The 4th pic is the Hall's Honeysuckle in bloom. The last pic is the red rose vine that I got from happ.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow, Will I knew it would take several trips to move all your buddies for sure. Glad they all made it safe.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, that's a lot of plants to rescue. Must keep you busy watering them. At least, we've been getting a lot of rain lately. Is the rose bush a climbing blaze? That's the first thing that I planted when we moved in 26 years ago, and it's still thriving. At least you left something behind for the birds and bees to enjoy.

Is there such thing as a "plant whisperer"?

How did you all fair the severe storms? They'll be arriving here soon. Brace yourself Dyan. At least, we haven't had to water the garden lately. I just wish that I had gotten more seeds in the ground in between the rains. Since my DH passed away, I have to keep up the lawn too. I'm glad that I picked out a self-propelled mower.

Check in later. Time to smell the coffee and roses.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

GB you surely do have your hands full for sure. Good thing you are tough and just keep barreling thru it all. Hang in there.

The plant sale is OVER! yeah. Not one plant over 5.00, you name it I think we had it. Daylilies, hostas, coneflowers, rose of sharon shrubs, curley weeping willow tree, clematis vines, hardy ferns, cannas, on and on. The FFA kids had a great assortment of annuals. Tell you the first hour reminded me of the 'old' black Fridays!!! Almost scary. lol It started at 8 course we were there by 7 and ended at 2 and we had to clean up afterward. I was shot when I got home and of course had to unload the plants I bought....lol

You guys talking about the weeds, I was shocked yesterday morning when I looked! There were a couple of places I had weeded but hadn't put mulch down yet and the weeds were already taller than the plants. Suppose to have sun and wind and that should help dry things up.

Hey Will I am talking to my nephew about doing one of those tiny houses, maybe that is what you should do! Seems like the way to go to me. I could do it in a heart beat for one person, not sure two of us could live in those close quarters in the winter. lol Boy still don't like the color of the rose, glad someone else does tho....lol

1st pic a fountain one of the mbrs made, he broke a leaf and sold the whole thing for 25.00 including pump.
2nd pic more leafs he made and sold for 10.00 a couple had pipes and a pump and I thing they were 12 or 15
3rd pic this is while we were setting up on friday I forgot to take pics when we were done on Saturday morning, there wasn't an empty spot on any of the tables.
Setup are the rest of them.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

We fared good here at home in the storms but a friend and my grandma who both live south of me a few miles got hit pretty good. A lot of hail and wind. I just spent a couple hours at my grandma's picking up limbs. Got the worse of it for now but wind is still going pretty good so it'll take a few more rounds to really get it cleaned up. Had some that went straight into the ground about 3 inches.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

We only got some early morning rain. The sun popped out and dried the grass so I was able to get the lawn cut before dinner time. I'm relaxing now. All my roses are in bloom; except for The Fairy which has buds.

Thanks Joyce for the encouragement. Thanks to all my family and friends, I'm doing good. The worst part was filing my dh's business taxes. I'm still trying to catch up from all the time spent. Glad that task is behind me.

I've decided that I want some AR Traveler tomato plants. Next year I may grow from seed. I grew Mortgage Lifters instead.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes gb you seem to be doing really great. Good for you. You certainly are a strong woman.
Wow happ, the plant sale looks to awesome. All my daylilies i got from you are doing so good. They all are coming up for sure. I agree we could not live in such a small house together the dh and i. No way. His recliner would take up the whole house. Lol.
well all i am tired so i am saying good night all.

Hi Betty, I don't know what kind of Rose that is, happ might know, she gave it to me. I found a metal tag awhile back that said Jackson Perkins is all I could see. Boy, you got that right lotsa rain! Actually, last nite I hear there was a tornado sighting in this city, population 700 some. If it woulda hit here I woulda been screwed, I was in my room watching hgtv. The highway in Mosby, Mo. was closed for awhile I understand. I went over it today and you could tell it was on the road earlier. I took these 2 photos of it today when I went to my former abode to get another load earlier. pics #1 and 2 In the sideview mirror you can see more and a truck also pulled over on the shoulder looking at it. It mighta only been a few feet deep but it looked like a lake, these waves and everything. All that water is normally not there.

Thanks happ, I always did like those little off-the-grid houses. - Here is that link. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsDOD0dTQI It was only two thousand dollars in materials but some things cost more like solar panels and a compost toilet. It's funny, the guy in the video even kinda looks like me! We're talking cheap right there! I don't know if I think the guy's right in the head (in the video) but really who is?! Here's more on how to build a 14 x 14 foot cabin by the guy. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qghZ2ao7GKM Ima get me a cabin and live in the mountains of Montana like the Unibomber! I'll see what my sister says about that here, that's a good idea. I used to think about that for what I used to think was my lot in Kansas.

Yeah, I left some stuff behind but they're talking about hiring 1800GotJunk to clean the yard so not sure what they are going to do with stuff I leave there.

This message was edited May 19, 2015 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh well look inthe rear view mirror Will. You are in a better place i think now.

Yeah GL, more space that's for sure. I misstated something up there, there was no tornado in this city, it was about 15 miles away in Polo, Mo. The governor was in Mosby yesterday to see all the flooding in Mosby, Mo. - http://www.kshb.com/news/region-missouri/governor-jay-nixon-tours-mosby-mo-to-survey-flood-damage
I stop in Mosby all the time to get an energy drink for the trip to Sugarcreek.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I saw the tornado icon on the weather radar and said a prayer for my kc area garden buddies. Sounds like everyone is safe.

Just started raining here & I am on the train crossing the river into Missouri now passing the arch. River looks like it is on the rise. A lot of driftwood and murky.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.