May Rains Bring More Colors

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Betty, everyone is fine, just some flooding and damage for some, they probably don't think everything is fine. Thanks for the prayers, could be why nobody got injured. For anybody that clicks the news link up there, there is actually 3 autoplay videos on that flood, the 2nd one has an aerial view of the bridge, that is incredible.

I got a couple white Honeysuckle starts that I made put on the pretty white arbor that needed something and planted a couple cactuses. - pics 1 and 2

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Another cold and wet....wowzer. Warmer this morning tho a whopping 46 when I got up, yesterday was 42. Hope my tropicals make it thru all of this. I am sure they will but can't help but be a little concerned.

I have an oriole feeder with grape jelly and they have about eaten a whole jar! I have been putting orange 1/2s above it. I love to hear their songs. I watched him one day and he was flying across the field to the creek. That is quite a distance to come feed. I was hoping his nest was in my trees somewhere.

Will I like the arbor and yes it needed something. Don't get me wrong I am not good at decorating but a neighbor got a arbor, stuck it out in the middle of the yard, no sidewalk, no connection to anything, and nothing on it. Now you need to remember I live in the middle of no where so the front yards are really really big. Poor arbor looks so lost......

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi all It was (and is ) rather cold here this morning , about 43 to start with ,,
I brought all my houseplants back inside yesterday , and about four days from now . back outside they will go ,,
As Happ said , about as low as get without damage to the tropicals , I have seen salvia and zinnia take frosts at about 38 degrees before and live ,, But the old shriveled brown leaved look and twisted stems being the result is not a good thing ,,

Well you all stay safe and float along in "New Waterworld " Mother Nature is being creative .
After though , a new city project is a project , EH ? lol ???..

I had them all covered until last night when it was/did rain. I didn't think wet soaked heavy blankets would be good for them.....can't win.

After all my projects are done this summer...rofl...rofl...rofl... Think I will figure out how to make a staging area in the back to harden off and protect all the stuff I am buying when I said i wouldn't buy anything else!

Hummm anyone got any ideas? It doesnt need to be huge but needs to get some wind but able to protect it from really really strong winds, needs to get sun but be able to protect them when the sun goes from cool to blazing hot until they are hardened, and then of course cover them when it gets too cool. Guess I could do a high tunnel but I really dont like the looks of those. Think I will gather the plants and see about what I have purchased so far. Make something on top of a wooden bench or table.....humm

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

On the train heading home. 48F and raining. Glad that I read the forecast and dressed appropriately. Good chili weather. Check in later Time to deboard.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happ, some lattice (supported of course) with some vines on it will provide wind protection and break up the sun. Or do a mini screen porch with the screens being removable and you can throw tarps or something on them to keep the cold off them when needed.

I left my tropicals outside also. Getting rained on and looking beat up but still alive and flourishing. I look at it as an added benefit of washing all the bugs off them too. lol

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

me too, Amanda, all that is outside is going to have to tough it out. period. I"M COLD< TIRED AND OFF WORK tomorrow!
wish I had some ideas for you Joyce. Well you guys, Joanna is moving to KC. *sigh* I thought it was Lawrence, but I guess that changed, again.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Working in the garden all evening.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Smiling, stay forever young :o)
I think even young, a walnut tree's leaves will smell like it if rubbed. I like the smell.
You should be able to find a light weight pot. Will you ever plant it in the ground?
No Tree of Heaven for me. I call it from the other place because it suckers ALL OVER!!! And Bradford Pears STINK! when they bloom.
Funny story. My neighbor has had one for years. I happened to be watering for her a couple of years ago when it was just coming into bloom. Peee yewww! A year later, she happened to get a whiff of it and asked me if I knew they smelled so bad. We had a good laugh over that!

Read on Badcat!

Dry out Happ!

Ju,
After the last few days of cold, do you know how good a sun bath sounds? LOL!

Pepper,
Sheesh, our rain dried up!
What a healthy looking bed!
The ninebark looks so cool! Is it thorny and does it sucker? How tall does it get for you and does the color stay all year?
Love the color on the Clematis!
Love the iris!!!

Ju,
The bed looks good! I adore watermelon!
Daisys are so pretty. Do those spread a lot?
I wish I could let milkweed grow. They are asking people to grow them because the monarchs are running out of food. I grow the perennial orange, but like the wild too.

Betty,
Laughing, you learn something new every day. I'd still be a little freaked to find sprouting seeds in my apple :o)

Pepper,
ROTFL over your distraction!

Debra,
Pretty pretty clematis!
Nice looking taters! Mine are just popping thru the ground.
A rose, sigh! Unknown bloom. Must be a shrub. Love the Siberian iris. Mine are just popping out too!

Ronna,
Yes, we must have pictures of your hostas!
Awww, what a nice time with your son and the work got done faster :o)

Dyan,
Laughing! I think he meant both! You are doing well for a beginner! And, weeds happen. All my beds are starting over with weeds....

Betty,
A new vac! My Dyson works well, but is noisy!

Will,
I read that wrong. I thought at first you had been pulled over! Wow, they really take the ride well, all of them. I love the Hallmark sign in the background :o)
I was just telling DH the other day that pliers work so much better on weeds in the sidewalk than fingers.
The honeysuckle looks good and the red rose sure is pretty.

Betty,
I got myself a self propelled last fall and boy do I love it! You do have a lot more to do now. It can't be easy trying to keep up.

Happ,
I'm glad your plant sale was a success and you came home with things. Can't wait to see what!
I think the rose is beautiful!
Oh wow, I'd go nuts at that sale!

Pepper,
Scary branches poking into the ground!!

Will,
I didn't know there was a white honeysuckle. It looks good tho!
SPINY!!!

I like the new avatars!

It was a good day in spite of the house cat getting out into the yard twice. Once when DH had the door open and once in the yard where he discovered he could squeeze thru the fence that was bent. Luckily he was easy to catch and bring back in.....

Have a great night!

When I wasn't running around dropping off the big truck and getting details from a friend for stuff next week I would have spent all day in the garden. As it is I did it in between. Got the veggie garden papered and mulched, 7 new tomatoes potted up, another annual pot done, and dahlias planted at the last minute. lol

Ninebark doesn't sucker, just gets bushier, no thorns and comes in many leaf colors and sizes. The purple one I showed is supposed to get either 3 or 6 ft tall. I have another that is called Coppertina that gets a lot bigger which I want. Need to block my neighbors out. Color stays until fall when it gets redder then dies back for the year. Ninebark is a native shrub. I have one species but it doesn't look happy this year so it may get pulled and I might put the hydrangea tree there.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Billy p Daisy run everywhere and self sow all over the place ,, Anyplace they like the earth , poof their there ,,,

Along with GB a couple nice hours this evening , garden a few minutes ,

I have Broadleaf and Spinach Mustard , to pot up , worms got most of it last year ,
Planted some Basil , Had a package of green Basil I spaced ,, figures doesn't it ? lol

Lots of annuals so far and I am still at it ,, More than I can grow ,,

Hope your all well as can be ,,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ended up doing housework. Did get some pics. Was too cool outside for me. Glad to get the vacuuming done and cleaned the litter boxes. House smells much better now.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I also worked on sanding the side door landing. It's a slow process, but I can see the progress. We did get the guest bedroom or Chloe's room down to the original pine floor. I'll have to share a pic. Just finished sweeping up all the debris and carrying it out to the dumpster. I'm glad this is a holiday weekend. I need an extra day to rest up. My newest rescued kitty Isabella. She just got spayed and still has stitches in her shaved belly. My pitiful sulking tomatoes. They need sun & warmth. The backyard does look lush.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Planted tomato plants in the high tunnel yesterday.Roughly 300 plants.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pepper,
Wow, You really made the most of your day!
I sure do like your Ninebark. It's now a contender for the Arbor. Now I need a icture of Coppertina.

Ju,
I had a daisy like that once. It got to be too much all over and I eliminated t. When it blooms, I'll have to post a picture of the frilly leaved daisy my neighbor gave me. It spreads too, but I like it. She thought it was feverfew, but it isn't. I have no idea the name of it.
That's why we plant the worm loving food under hoops and row cover.

Betty,
I love your block bed, your rose, and lavender?(white blooms)
Laughing! I thought that was a rubber snake in the first picture!
That is so much work, but so worth it! The floors will be beautiful!
Awww, sweet kitty! So lucky to find a home :o)
Lush and green indeed!

Bernie,
I LOVE your hoop house and I'll bet the tomatoes do too! That's a lot of work, but boy, do you ever have nice tomatoes!!

Beautiful day ahead. I need to mow, probably hang clothes out, pick spinach and weed the cabbage and broccoli. For starters :o)

Have your own beautiful day!

I need to get some new pics of my Coppertina. I'll try to do that later today after work.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c758

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link Pepper!
It might be a better choice than the roses because the soil is pretty poor under the maple tree. Yep, I think I like it!

Yesterday I mowed and we ate the first batch of spinach. We have mosquitoes as I predicted. I'm not sure how. All our rain has soaked in. There isn't much standing.
I took pictures of all the iris that are blooming. I'm trying to identify some of my older varieties. It's harder than you think. They don;t match up well enough so I title it ''maybe'' and ''possibly'' this, LOL!
I did find the one I call Mom's Stitched is indeed Mme Chereau. It has many different faces and most are a deeper purple. Mine is truly this light color and beautiful.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

That is beautiful!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it is ,, Hi ya ,,,

Here is a recent comeback ,, drowned a whole bed of them years ago ,, one little root to a nice bloom ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7

Here's my ninebark Coppertina. Got the pictures taken last night. I bought it in a quart pot 3-4 years ago and this year was the first year for it's trim. I waited until it bushed out before cutting it back to get rid of the 'legs and arms'. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

Here are my annual pots for this year. I like to do a whole lot more but trying to improve other areas so cut back my spending. lol. The red pot I did a red, blue and white theme.

Dr. Huey blooming. I'm gonna have to do some serious work on this rose if he's gonna keep hanging around. lol

My veggie garden newly papered and mulched. Weeds shouldn't be as a big deal this year with this. I also have a new hog panel for the cukes and squash or maybe just the squash. Won't get to play with it until the rains are done next week. It's the size of my whole garden. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Alton, IL

Your Coppertina is very pretty!

So the sun was shinning today for what felt like the first time in ages, my son came over to mow my yard and everything looked so pretty that I decided pictures were needed. :)

I can't remember who suggested that I put the Evening Primrose in a pot, but I decided that was a smart idea. And I LOVE the flower pot that I found!

My Coral Bells are getting huge and doing well! I have a new plant to put into that area as well, but so far it's more of a 'the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak' type thing. *sigh* I need to get the poor thing in the ground soon, though.

And much to my surprise, my stonecrop (Lime Zinger Sedum) look like they're blooming. I knew that they would have blooms, but I thought that would happen later in the summer or fall. I hope it's not a sign that I have problems because I really like these plants.

Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme
Alton, IL

More pictures. :)

I've never showed you guys what the full garden looks like. So here's my work in progress.......

The Russian Sages and Catmint are absolutely HUGE! I can't wait for them to start blooming. My yarrow and speedwell (I don't remember what's it's called other than that) have buds, so my guess is that sometime this week I'll see pretty colors. And even the tickseed that I'd given up on has suddenly re-appeared and looks like it has buds, too. And the smaller purple flowers that I put in a few weeks back, just keep blooming and blooming.

Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme Thumbnail by dyanisme
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Dyanisme, love the pics. Always love looking at other peeps pics. Gives great ideas for sure. However my yard is so full takes me awhile to figure where to plant something new. This year to my hostas are absolutley huge!!

First one in my border with some cora belles in blossom. They are so pretty this year. 2nd is my strip tease hosta, 3rd is my guardian angel hosta, 4th is my komono dragon and lastley my queen of the seas. The rippled edged hostas are my favs. It is hard to tell how large they are in a pic. But so beautiful this year for sure.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

The fisrt is my favorite grouping of hostas. Includes blue mammoth stained glass, great expectations christmas tre and one i do not know. Lol. 2 is our side yard love this shot, 3rd is our dog gracie she is a plott hound very sweet lady, 4th new shot this morning of my blooming clematis, 5th a shot of my mini garden i did this year.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Debra,
Funny thing is, I apparently dug this iris with the others from Mom's, 11 years ago. Dad had some bloom the same time I did. I don't ever remember her having these.

Howdy Ju,
That is pretty! I only have two yellow iris. One I rescued from a ditch and Throb from Schreiner's Iris.

Pepper,
Copertina is really pretty! If it gets about 5' tall and wide I may use it for the arbor. I do like it!
Beautiful! Pots!
I love the deep color of the rose. What do you have to do to it to keep it going?
I dare the weeds to break thru, LOL! It looks good!

Dyan,
It might have been me, and I agree. I love that pot!!
The sedum look nice. I don't know much about them, but I think they bloom early rather than later.
Everything else looks really good too!
My two Russian sages aren't growing very fast. I've had both for years. I think sometimes you can just get a bad plant.
Your yarrow is much bigger than mine too, LOL!
Every year I intend to move my speedwell. It's in a hot dry bed and it almost dies out every year. (Smacking head :o)
I think the little plants are verbenas. If you get close they smell like honey. When they like a spot they will grow like crazy.

Ronna,
Gotta love the hosta's names and they are beautiful! Love the coral bells too!
What a neat side yard!
Aww, you can tell she's really sweet.
Everything looks good and I love the mini garden!

It's raining and I am so happy! I watered the plants in the garden a little bit yesterday. I have potatoes peeking thru so this rain will be good. I also took used coffee grounds and sprinkled a layer on each potato hole. They like acidy soil to combat scab. It probably wasn't enough, but I did have enough for each one.
The dang mosquitoes were just bad enough to ruin the day. I tried to work out twice and gave up. It was the perfect, warm breezy day too :o(
I sat on the screened in porch and caught up my flowers journal. I also made rhubarb tea and put two containers of spinach in the freezer.

Have a great day!

Alton, IL

First off...... I've never said and kept meaning to, everyone, please call me 'Dyan'. It's just an odd spelling of 'Diane'. :)

Gardenlady, I LOVE that last hosta. "Queen of the Sea"? Very pretty with the rippled leaves. I gotta remember that one for next year.

The plant that I haven't yet gotten into the ground is also a hosta. It's something called "Abiqua Drinking Gourd". I have to admit that I'm somewhat in a mental snit because all the pictures show it as a blue-ish plant, and that's what I fell in love with. The one that I have is definitely NOT blue. It's a healthy green, but it has the cupped leaves just like the pictures that I saw online. The nursery (local; not online) says that it'll look more blue as it grows. ........... Either way, I need to get over my snit and plant the darned thing. LOL No matter the color, it'll be a pretty addition to the yard.

BP, it definitely might have been you. And it was a VERY smart suggestion because having the pot gives my yard something else nice to look at. Yes, the little plants are 'Perfecta Verbena'. I bought them at the suggestion of the lady at the nursery and haven't regretted it for a second. As for the 'speedwells', I wonder if the fact that they are in a hot, dry bed was the problem. Because they pretty much died right off the bat last year. I'd bought two with purple flowers and one white, and the two purple seemed to take one look at my yard and died. If I could mentally picture a plant clutching it's head in horror and falling over, that's what the two purple ones did. LOL BUT the white flowered one seems to be doing well.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes Dyan i have drinking gourd too. It does get more blue over the years. Mine is pretty huge this year. I also like the deep rippled and cupped leaves. Another one with the same kind of leaves is deep blue sea.

Alton, IL

I need some help. Something has decided that my 'lambs ears' makes a WONDERFUL lunch. Trouble is, I didn't plant it to feed the bugs. (There are lots of other plants; they can leave the stuff in my garden alone.)

I don't know what is doing the damage, and I don't know what to do. So I'm hoping for suggestions.

And because it's sunny right now, I also wanted to show off the pretty purple flowers that the 'lambs ears' are growing. I know it has a short bloom time, so I'm going to enjoy them while I can. And the last is a new "friend". It's looking sort of sad now because I couldn't get it in the ground for a couple of weeks after I bought it. It's something called Delphinium "Diamonds Blue".

Wow that is some holey lambs ear. I don't have any but will be curious what others say.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Do slugs like a nice lambs ear lunch? I wonder. Have to look this up.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Google says slugs really do not eat lambs ear cause the surface of the plant is not smooth. The damage probably is from a cut worm. They sleep in the soil during the day and come out at night. Look around in the soil you will probably find the cut worm smash it. Should take care of the problem. Thats what google says

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lamb's ear ,, host plant for Thrip eating Mealybug Destroyer ,, May also host a couple of moth species ...

it's hot here ,,, whew !!!

Alton, IL

Gardenlady, that's interesting. And, as it turns out, I happen to have a bag of food grade diatomaceous earth. According to what I'm reading, that might help.

Ju, would Thrip eating Mealybug Destroyer hurt my plants?

Ninebark varieties that stay about 5 ft or so. There are a few more floating out there but these are the most common.

Amber Jubilee
Dart's Gold
Summer Wine
Tiny Wine

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

dyanisme I have no idea if they eat the plant or not ,, It does say adult eat thrips ,, it does not say what the larvae eat ,, I suppose those small holes might have something to do with that , but once again , I don't know ,
Okay ,,, maybe the ask a gardener , or master gardeners could answer that ,

Love all the pics ,, the Ninebarks ,, Lovely plants and garden work ,,,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Been working in the yard past 2 days. It looks so nice that I had to spend some time enjoying it. Hope you all are doing the same. Took some pics that I will post later. Nanking cherries are ripening and great for a snack. I just sat on the swing eating them and seeing how far I could spit the seeds. Lol

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah bp, Hallmark is a big employer in Kansas City.

Joanna, Debra? Do I know her, is that Jo?

A Walnut tree in a light-weight pot, bp? I'd like to find one for my Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana'. I saw a big, lightweight, red, resin pot at the flea market not far from here but I haven't decided on it and pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks for the compliments on the arbor, the 3 Honeysuckles there are still alive.

Here is the Nanking Cherry bush that I grew from 3 seeds from Betty. I was going to dig this up from my friend's house but my friend wants to keep it bad so I might make her a trade for it. I know she wants it because she told me today she recently bought some and they didn't live.
And that's going to be a nice shrub, it is 3 seedlings, so pollination is covered.

Everybody has such nice pics of their plants, very inspiring, thanks.

Boy, the flooding around here has been atrocious! This second pic is the same spot that was covered in water a week ago (see my May 17th post and pics up there).

I stained this half barrel planter that I bought new in 2006. - pic #3

This Ozark Witch Hazel withstood 40 mph winds just fine! - pic #4 I tried to keep that dolly wheel from touching my seat..lol

Here are those plants a little clearer. - pic #5

This message was edited May 25, 2015 6:48 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, maybe some birds will poop the seeds in your sister's yard. Otherwise, I can send you some plants via Pepper. Volunteer Nanking cherry bushes are coming up all over my yard. I just leave or relocate the bushes that I want and mow down there rest.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Just tried to do some catching up here and enjoyed ALL of the plant pics! Very nice flower borders. I have most of my flowers in islands with rocks around the plants to prevent the dogs from digging. I even have a book "Gardening with Dogs" that offered many good suggestions how to make your yard and gardens dog friendly. I need to pull it down from the shelf and read thru it again.

I'm going to try to get a list of suggested plants posted on the RU thread very soon so that I can start digging and potting.

This looks like a good day for planting., so I'll probably need a hot shower, lots of coffee, and Ibuprofen to get moving and back to work tomorrow morning. Enjoy your holiday and BBQ!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.