May Rains Bring More Colors

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Memorial day, a day to remember.

Dyan,
I LOVE the way your name is spelled!
Maybe, like our pine tree, the new growth comes in bluer. Otherwise in the early spring it just looks greenish. I hope it turns for you.
Laughing over the description, but yep, I can see mine clutching their little spikes saying when will she move us!

Ronna,
How nice to be able to tell Dyan about the hosta. I've never heard of it. I guess I don't look at hostas because I have no more shade left for any :o(

Dyan,
I'll have to check my lambs ears. I can't imagine what wants to eat fuzzy leaves unless it's a leaf miner. Beautiful little blooms! I don't think mine ever have.
I adore delphiniums and yours look just fine!

Ronna,
Do cut worms do more than just cut the stem so the plant falls over?

Ju,
That is a mouthful and sounds like a Star Wars bug, or at least Star Trek! LOL!

Pepper,
I'll have to check those out. I think they would look good behind the arbor.

Betty,
That sounds absolutely perfect! Could you post a picture of your cherry bushes?

Will,
I didn't know Hallmark was there.
Laughing, no, I did mean re-potting the Dwarf Eastern White Pine. Oooh, that color pot might set off the green tree color. You might go for it.
How many more plants do you need to get from the old home place?
Nice half barrel planter!

Betty,
When it's nice I like to read outside. I'd be swinging, spitting cherry seeds and reading :o)

It's sprinkling and going to get hot later. The mosquitoes are going to be wild :o(

Have a quiet day.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, Hallmark is big in this area. The headquarters for Hallmark is in Kc. The guy that runs it now is named Donald Hall Jr., his grandfather Joyce, yes, Joyce, (not you happ..lol) founded it over 100 years ago. -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallmark_Cards

I never thought about the red, maybe I will get that pot for it, thanks Sally.

Sure, I'd love a few more Nanking seeds, Betty, thanks!

I did some planting today.

Has anybody ever heard of straw bale gardening? It seems to be getting more popular. Especially with people that don't want to bend down much. - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=straw+bale+gardening&id=A94F7D902356335D38FFE237C55999609A313ECA&FORM=IQFRBA

The first pic is just a big Ozark Witch Hazel that I unloaded.

The 2nd pic is my Japanese Maple 'Ornatum' that I repotted into a nicer square pot and put it in the middle of the pavement. It's looking better, it was a twig when I got it from Ebay for $10.99 plus shipping.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Will, I have a bunch of stuff for you that I will give to you. Whatever I have on hand that I don't take to the RU I'll give to you so that they get good homes.

Thanks pepper. I doubt if I can make it to the ru, now it feels like I'm being kicked in the crotch (lightly kicked, thank god) when I stand for very long. This hernia surgery can come none too soon.

Don't push your luck by coming then. I can easily bring the plants to you to save you a trip.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will we talked about straw bale gardening a while ago I have only one time tried that back in 2005 I think it was ,, I liked it ,, but no truck ,, that says it ,,

Good luck with Hernia ,,,, I have been there twice I liked it so much ,,, right ,, uh , huh , sure ,,
Found it a lot easier to "GO " afterward ,,,
Difficult to think of Surgery as relief ,,, it ain't like Rolaids or Tums at all ,,,!!!

Red , Pink , peony blooming here , right on time , and a lillium that does not know what time of year it is

billyp I like Star Trek , only I would rather be doing that and having a few of those gizmo's

Thumbnail by juhur7

LOL Ju. I don't even have lilies blooming here.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow, lotta catching up to do here.. Will, Joanna is my youngest daughter, you met her last year at round up....Amanda , I sure like that ninebark,
Dyan, I like the spelling of your name, and your garden, too. I don't grow lambs ears, so don't know what to tell you..
Ju as always your blooms are lovely,
Billy, I am glad you got those from your mom, I have some things from my great Aunt and Grandma that are really special to me when they decide to bloom..
You all have beautiful Gardens going.. It has been too wet and rainey here for me to go out much, but here is what I got to take pics of day before yesterday in tween the rains..
milkweed and sedum in the southwest corner barrel,outside that patio corner shot, ( I'm building my privacy green wall right now..) red yarrow,Arches over the green beans and potatoes..last pic is my wild raspberry, pecan tree and other wildflowers going on the other corner of my Green wall..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My largest yellow lillium , alittle taller than above are a few weeks away , the Stargazer are large , only a while away .. The Giant White are months from bloom time ,,
sometime I will make a lilly bed from one of annual routine beds ,

These are babies of the above ,, Red Rock or Black rock , something like that is the name ,,
bubils

Thumbnail by juhur7

cute! I love babies..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I always love seeing your babies and your Plant too !!! Very Nice !!!
These days ,, baby plants is all ,, lol
Real nice setting Debra , the Milkweed Barrel , the red Yarrow ,, all , really Nice !!!

I still have bunches of swamp Milkweed to start , I already forgot what I planted today ,, Good thing for memory cards ,, This years list is getting long ,,

I had to cut down a pear tree and my cherry tree was in the wrong place growing into wires so down it came also ,,,,
I tried some natural auxin on one of my tomato plants and it grew six new leaves in four hours ,, I love that ,!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7

Mine are starting to take off again now that it's warm. I expect all my veggies to grow like crazy with the sunshine we're to get this year. I'm ready. lol. I want to taste fresh stuff again.

I need to grow milkweed but all I have is the butterfly weed. I have room for a swamp milkweed plant but the area is too shady now for seeds to take off so I bought some liatris at work the other day to put in there.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Fresh cut lavender and roses.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

I can't grow lavender here for anything. I live on a hill so good drainage and it still isn't happy. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

So if all goes well bulbils for Debra And swamp milkweed for pepper ..
I do have several plants from either of you growing , not as many as I tried ,, oh well ,, Happy when the plants grow I am

oops pretty rose and lavender there GB ..!!!

This message was edited May 25, 2015 9:57 PM

I can't grow lavender either, I am an over water =er person, I think..
Lovely bouquet, Betty.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The lavender shares a 4 x 4 foot bed in the veggie garden with the garlic. I never do anything; except harvest it. Maybe that is the key - neglect?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey loving the pics all. Sounds like you all are very busy with the veggies and all. I want some time to walk in the yard. To decide what to move. Lol. Really nothing needs to be moved. Some of my hosts are so big they are covering the walk way. Kinda neat really. Here are some clematis shots from today. So pretty. Sure wish they would stay all summer.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Morning all, woke up at 4 and couldn't go back to sleep...yuck.

Love all the pics of the gardens. we are so wet the ground squishes when you walk. Don't dare walk out in it with regular shoes.... Poured again yesterday morning. This morning the birds are all singing and happy.

I dug a 3 foot hole to put a pole in to plant my wisteria on. I am going to put a pole up and then put iron wagon wheels on the pole, first a big one, then a smaller one a little farther up, like a dual umbrella and then let the wisteria grow up and cover it. I want the wheels far enough off the ground we can sit under it. Least that is my plan, my plans work out if I am doing it alone, but this will require help from DH so.......the final plan is yet to be seen...rofl.

Poured yesterday morning MAYBE we can go a day without rain today. The farmers didn't get all the crops in yet and it is getting late.

1. don't tell him it isn't Christmas...rofl
2. Countrygardens here is my hoop house...rofl. I do have blooms on the tomato plants.
3. Have several spuria iris starting to bloom.

Have a great day you all.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Lovely flower pics Joyce. You need to post a pic of the wisteria wagon wheel pole support when it is finished.

On the train with views you don't see from the street. Rain moving in this morning. Hope it waits until I'm inside. I hope to plant some beans and squash after work. Should be clear by then. The heavier rain went north and south.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
I've never seen anyone grow such fine trees in a pot and I love the square planter!
I've heard about the bale gardening.
Oh man, when are you getting it fixed? That has to be bad. It's a shame you might miss the RU :o(

Ju,
My brother had two hernia surgeries a few weeks after he was born.
I like the old Star Trek shows. I never could get into the new ones.
Gorgeous lily! I need to dig all of mine this year and put them in individual pots with good soil. Then I'll bury the pots. So many of mine are dwindling :o(
Nice lily babies!
It's sad to lose a tree, but a tragedy to lose a fruit tree. I hope you can replant.

Debra,
Me too! My Grandma gave me tulips, daffodils, larkspur seed, dill seed, etc. My great aunt gave me blackberry lily, tulips and daffodils. I still have cypress seed from her I never planted.
Nice pictures! I love the pots giving a little privacy and NICE garden!

Pepper,
I've seem the swamp milkweed grow in tree shade in ditches. Maybe they'll grow there after all?
I can't grow lavender very well either, but was happy to find two of the three small sprouts my neighbor gave me made it over the winter after all!! Woot woot!

Betty,
Nothing finer than roses and lavender!
I know lavender hates water, but does need it if exceedingly dry. My sprouts are in a sandy bed with hot sun. The ground gets so hot, it could burn your foot. It's why I really need to save the speedwell in there!

Ronna,
I love your clematis!

Happ,
LOVE your wisteria plan!!! I hope you do it so we can enjoy pictures :o)
Awww, gorgeous amaryllis!! That's a warm happy tomato!
LOVE the sib!!!

Betty,
Have a good day at work! I hope you can get some seeds in the ground! I still don't have any beans in :o(

We had one last microburst of rain last night and have had about 3'' this month. There is water standing in fields and ditches, hence the mosquitoes :o(

I need to mow. I picked our first kale leaves yesterday and will try it today. It sounds like it will produce all summer. That's a good thing. I hope it tastes good. I've never had it fresh.

Have a blessed day!!

Boy oh Boy it warmed up and not a breath of air just like normal.....HUMID...LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Were Having Thunderstorms , earlier a few hours , then sun and dried out real good ,, Now their Back ,,,

billyporter I have no doubt some more trees will still happen ,

at the moment keeping in tune with what I can get done ,, is a plenty

Believe the warm , hot weather , milkweed two weeks from Bloom ?

Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Milk weeds are so cool. Butterflies really like them too. Off work now and have the next two days off. I may have time to get in the yard and see what is going on out there. Some of my hostas are so large they cover my stepping stones. Very pretty this year. I have the next two days off. Headed out to the yard in the morning after going to the ghm. I have been really sick and starting to get over it.

82 and sunny here. Humid also with more rain moving in again.

I went down to my daylily bed that is between the road and the woods and pulled up the old weed fabric. Still looked like new and I found that is the best way to weed!! LOL. All the weeds came up with it leaving bare dirt behind. I have a wheelbarrow full of the fabric and weeds and still didn't get all of it up. I'm gonna dig up the lilies and move them up closer to the house so they have a better chance of thriving instead of getting swallowed by weeds.

There's also some peonies there given to me by leaflady so need to move them also and save them.

I also watched a funny incident awhile ago. A gray cat was walking thru our yard and this crow starting throwing a fit. Cat ignored him until he swooped down to attack. The crow kept swooping until he went into the woods. Poor cat. LOL!!

Ouch! 2 hernias!
Thanks for the compliment bp, I'm proud of my trees in a pot!
Today, I brought back the Dogwood in a pot that I've been caring for for the last 3 or 4 years.
My friend bought it though, today I made her a trade that she couldn't refuse! I knew she wanted that Nanking Cherry bush, she gladly traded. - pic #1

I have alot of planting to do here. Here is the big ditchlily that I got from Happ. I just love that thing. Here it is coming in with a few nice stalks of soon-to-be flowers, they weren't there yesterday. - pic #2 and 3
I have several plants to dig up over there, this Red Daylily from Pepper will be one of the first that I'll dig up it's a beauty! - pic #4 That's it next to the blaCK BIRD-FEEDER THAT i PUT THERE A WHILE BACK. That's my 'Munstead' Lavender that I got from Pepper in 2011 in the front on the left (it came in a 4" pot, that's how good it grew).

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Thanks bp, I love my square planters, pepper knows about them, I got them from HD.
When for the surgery you ask? Next month is the plan.

I had to go over the Missouri river bridge again, man is the river high. There's a park right below it so I went down there and got photos. I wish I could just magically appear on the other side of the bridge when I drive over it! I guess I'll just have to settle for squealing like a pig! I hate looking down, I think of The Mothman Prophecies everytime! I forgot to insert them, they're in the next post.

That's a big hoop-house, Joyce!

Bale gardening does look curious!

Oh yeah, I remember Joanna now, she looks like you, Debra.

Speaking of Debra, the Creeping Jenny I got from her at last year's spring ru is blooming little yellow flowers! - pic #1 About a week ago it was near solid yellow but I didn't get a photo then.
I plan on digging alotta stuff up from that bed, it's all mine. I tell ya, there's gonna be holes all over that freaking yard! I'm thinking about digging big mamma jammas, if they die or not!
I aim to dig up this Dwarf Alberta Spruce that I got in 2004 as a "Living Christmas Tree". - pic #2

Here's some of my pretties in pots that I've already transported to here. - pic #3

I've already distributed several of my big pots around here, like this Canna from pepper on the left (it hadn't grown above the pot when I took the pic, now it has..lol) and this big 'Blue Angel' Hosta on the right.

Poor cat, pepper! My other sister called me today and asked me if I knew what to do with 6 kittens that they found, the mother had been hit by a car. It's hard enuff just knowing what to do with myself (of course, I didn't say that)!

This message was edited May 27, 2015 9:49 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here's those Missouri River photos. I THINK that red paint marks one of the worst damages from age, I saw it on tv I think. There's 2 bridges there, the closest one is closed. All the traffic is detoured to 2 lanes on the furthest bridge for awhile I hear. - pics 1 - 4

Anybody know what this is and if it grows by cuttings? - pic #5

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

It's Weigela. I don't know how easy it propagates from cuttings but it's a very common bush. Also a big hummingbird magnet.

If I could I would take at least some of those kittens!! LOL. But I need to try and work on getting my parents to approve a dog or two. Maybe I'll get lucky and a couple will hop into my truck without me knowing til after I hit the road next weekend.....

Thanks, I've had a cutting in water for several days. Weigela eh? It sure is a nice plant and we love hummers. We have a single hummingbird feeder outside the window and my mom and sister love it, as do I of course. I also have a Forsythia cutting in water. I'm pretty sure IT'LL take but not sure about the Weigela.

So?! Are you saying you want some kittens, pepper?! I bet they'd make fine barncats!

oh my, Will, you have been very busy! Go easy with those hernias, shhese! wish I could take a kitten.

Let me know if you get that forsythia to root. I'd love to give it a try, my son has a huge bush where he lives.

Milkweeds are my favorite next to morning glorys. Any prennial is a favorite right now, I planted one 6 pack of red salvia on the south edge and one pot of caladiums that had three colors on the south side and a tub of coleus out front. Everything else is from seed or cuttings, or trades.
My nanking did not make berries again, even tho I planted a second bush next to it. After we went to the cemetery, my son and I drove by his old place by the lake, and the three mulberry bushes I planted for him were full of berries on each side with the non bearing male in the middle, so I picked mulberries fresh after the rain, and we gazed at the lake longing to be fishing like we used to. *sigh*
Mock orange got huge, so I took a couple cuttings. we will see how that goes, the white chinese lilac cuttings took from last year as did the goji berry.

This message was edited May 28, 2015 11:38 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
I can't complain. It seems we're never without wind these days.

Ju,
It's amazing what a little rain and nice weather will do for plants. All mine are a week early and might have been more if we hadn't had all those frigid days. I'm thinking we'll have a cool wet summer.

Oh Ronna,
I am so sorry you've been sick. That's not right when spring is here :o(

Pepper,
I used weed fabric around the ground cherries. That way they stay clean when they drop.
How is Leaflady? She sure went thru some trying times.
Poor cat indeed!

Will,
Smiling, you're a good bargainer and she's a good sport.
That is a nice dogwood!
My iris are still hanging on so I hope my daylilies slow down and wait. The do pop fast when it's their time.
Beautiful lavender!
Prayers for an easy surgery and healing will be going out.
Has the boyfriend got over his ''threat'' since you've been getting? Laughing, I hope he enjoys mowing over your potholes!!
Yep, take all of it because all of it is looking good!
Wow,
I could almost see the river flowing!
I'll bet in spring you could cut tips and use sand and a rooting hormone. Google it.
Taking care of the kittens is going to be hard, but you can go to a pet store and get a feeding kit if they are tiny. That is a lot of work tho..

Debra,
Laughing, anything blooming is my favorite too :o)
Our mulberry trees have fruit but aren't ready yet.
My Mock Orange is scrawny but full of blooms. It's going to smell so good!

Yesterday I mowed.

Friday we get the kids and they spend the night. Dad will be 86 that day but we are going to have cake and ice cream on Saturday and the kids go home.

I cooked the kale yesterday I like it but DH says it tastes like the grass under the mower. I buttered it, and it was good. I also used my curry sauce which is really good on it, and spinach.

Did anyone grow up eating vinegar on the old canned spinach's of our youth?

Curry Sauce

2 T. Balsamic vinegar
2 T. Rice vinegar
1 T. Honey - heaping
1 t. Curry powder
2 t. Dijon mustard

Mix and serve over greens

I also add a dash of Turmeric powder. Use an expensive Balsamic. You won't regret it.

It's going to be busy so I'll be missing.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Was driving thru Chloe's neighborhood to see a dramatic episode of a hawk swoop over my car with a live starling in it's talons and a flock of squawking starlings in hot pursuit. Talk about a distracted drive.

Got my beans planted. Time to count beans. lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh yuck gb. It sure would be a distraction.
Will good luck with the hernia surgery my ex had two and he almost was a goner once. Loads of pain for sure. Take it easy.
yes i still do not feel good but getting over it somewhat. Pretty congested still and coughing so tired of the headache. Prolly will have to go back to the doctor.

I rather have a couple dogs right now than cats. lol. Actually I would love to have 2 of each but I know that won't happen. I'll ask my parents about the kittens.

Alton, IL

Will, look around in your area. There may be a cat rescue that can foster those kittens. If they're really young, it's a lot of work with round the clock feedings. Older ones that are weaned or old enough to handle solid food are much easier.

I wish that I was closer........ or that you were closer to me. I know a couple of groups.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks bp. No public threats anymore. In fact, he calls me sir now but I'm positive he's insincere, I don't even look at him anymore. He backtracked on the June 1st deadline to get my stuff out. That was just one of his drunken stupor threats awhile back. My friend has since told me that hadn't been talked about even. Thanks, that's a nice Dogwood, I'd been taking care of it for I think 4 years. It was a mere 1 year seedling when I got it from the state nursery here. - pic #2
Thanks for the prayers too.
Oh, I'm not taking care of any kittens. The sister and her husband are all set to deal with them, not me..lol They just bought a house as well, with 5 acres and outhouses, they should consider barncats theirdarnselves.

Thanks for the glad-tidings there, GL! I hope I don't have surprises but never know I guess. Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers probably didn't think there'd be issues either. Hope ya get to feeling better!

Eeek Betty! Maybe it was this group of birds?! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQAwtYcjKxY

Thanks dyan, is Wayside Waifs a kill shelter there too? Some people here think they don't euthanize but I think they do. Sure, I'll tell what happens with them.

Yes, very busy Debra, us hobos are a busy lot! Seriously, I just planted that Chinese Lilac from you here just the other day. - pic #1 I planted what I think was the 'Madame Galen' Honeysuckle from you that same day also, on the bare arbor here.

Ok pepper, maybe your parents want some kittens.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Debra forsythia is so easy to start. Take a branch touch it to the ground, put a brick on it so it touches the dirt and it will root. You can also cut a branch and stick it in a pot and water it and it will root also. Really easy. I planted one stalk by DH big building and it spread the entire side. DH killed it out with all the weed killer he could find for about 2 years...lol

Alton, IL

My Russian Sage are starting, just barely starting, to bloom! YAY!

I was looking at them after work, and there at the very tippy tips of a couple of branches are teeny, tiny purple flowers. Just one plant so far, but my guess is that the other won't be far behind. :)

I don't have a bush, Joyce, but my son has a huge one where he lives, so I am going to cut a nice branch from it, and stick it into the ground next to the mother plant, and then bring a few branch pieces home with me too.
My salvias and sages have all bloomed, the red, the purple, the pink and the white, now i NEED TO CUT THEM SO THEY CAN START OVER, JUST LIKE MY DAISEYS. dang caps lock.. we went to the Steve Miller Band concert tonight and I had a little cup of wine and then kinda ended the nite dancing in front of Joe, God and everyone. I am going to bed, I think I have a little buzz from that stupid wine. :P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.