May Rains Bring More Colors

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm taking some time to sit down and type a lengthy post to make up for all those short ones while commuting to work.

Pepper, I hope that grandma's doctor can change her medication and she'll be ok. I've been on blood pressure meds for 15 years now and my meds control it. I have had to add a water pill or change the dosage before.

Dyan, the 2nd pic does look like catnip. I have it all over my yard and have a lot of stray cat visitors. lol

Will, I'm sure you're having a good time with a new canvas to paint on. I can't wait to see more pics.

BP, you might be able to grow the Penny Lane if you put it in a sheltered spot. Cut it back before winter, secure it so that the wind doesn't whip it around, and cover it with plenty mulch. I looked at some online images and it is beautiful. I could grow it here, but I'm not adding anything this year. I may plan to add it next year.

Joyce, I've missed you and enjoy seeing your posts.

Debra, I hope that you're fairing well thru the severe weather.

Ju, I assume you're busy in the garden. Anxious to see some pics of your flowers.

Ronna, how's the weather up your way? What's blooming? Do you drive to the lake this time of year?

Chloe was excited to see her "new" old wood floor today. She said, "That was underneath the the other floor?" Nicole and I can't wait to tackle her bedroom. Mine will be last because it's larger being the master and my current flooring is pretty decent.

Time to take Chloe home since she has school tomorrow. Back to the old grind tomorrow morning. The weekend went too fast as usual. Lovely irises, all the roses, and peonies blooming right now. I love this time of year!!!!!

Some of the bedding plants that I picked up from SWIC hort students plant sale.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, lots of room here for plants. I can't wait to plant a few things. Nice bedding plants, Betty, nice work on the floor btw.

When I write on miniblind labels it wears off within a year!

I try not to be a buzzkill but is that Poison Ivy in the background of the second pic on the right, dyan? I'm sure it's probably something else but I had to ask! If it's something nice I apologize in advance, I can't really tell. Poison Ivy has 3 leaves and a thumb on some leaves jutting out the side. - https://www.google.com/search?q=poison+ivy+define&rlz=1C1MOWC_enUS638US638&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fyRQVZG3N4vfsASc1oGACg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg Nice landscaping there btw.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma's nosebleed, pepper. I Googled it. - https://www.google.com/search?q=nosebleed+causes+in+adults&rlz=1C1MOWC_enUS638US638&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=799&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=DCVQVamRAfPLsAS3h4CoDQ&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

Sally, oh Sally, where'd you go?

Yes, where is that ju?!

Here is the dark red rose vine from happ getting ready for a big bloom, it already has a few blooms. pic #1 & 2

Here is a cluster of Nanking Cherries that I got from Betty, (she sent me seeds nearly 2 years ago). - pic #3

I have lots of plants in limbo, if I make it to the ru I'll bring plenty. Some of those were given to me and I'd never give those away. - pic #4

My Pinus Strobus 'Nana' (Eastern White Pine) has cones this year for the first time, I got it over 11 years ago for $35, now I think it's worth $300! - pic #5

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Alton, IL

Shortleaf, thanks (re: landscaping). Honestly, there's not much to see yet. But I'm pretty happy with the border that I set up. Took me ages to get it right with all the curves. :)

As for that odd plant, I'm fairly confident that it's not poison ivy. I have a tree off to the side of my house that seems to produce seeds by the millions, and I'm constantly yanking out seedlings like that. So far, no bad rashes...... that's why I'm pretty sure it's harmless.

Betty......... catnip. I never thought of that.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

66°/65°/45°
Today...Breezy. Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly sunny. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 mph.
Tonight...Breezy...Colder. Mostly cloudy. West wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

It's already dropped to 57° Maybe, I'll mow tomorrow....

Will,
Wow, closed indefinitely. Pretty scary words, ''significant
deterioration.'' It's sad that the money now has to come from raised taxes. The Govt. used to fund these things.

Dyan,
Border is indeed nice! I have most of mine outlined in the black rubber/plastic that comes in a roll. Interesting to see how cheap and smaller it's become over the years....
Yes, your plants will do so much better with rainwater and they will perk up fine! Can't wait for pictures :o)
LAUGHING!!! Do you know how many Sesame Street things I say to myself? I was 12 when it started, and the muppets singing Manamana still cracks me up!

Betty,
I can see I'd be taking the bus, LOL!
OH WOW! How awesome to find nice floors under all that! It's beautiful! Good for Nicole helping!

Happ,
Laughing, that's why I research before I buy. I have read ''New Dawn'' is a big rose! Sadly my honeysuckle "Blanche Sandman" is NOT fragrant :o(
I'm pretty sure the frost heaves my tags out. I washed a bunch and rewrote on them. I have an old vinyl mini blind that I cut into 5'' strips and use a paint pen.

Will,
I hope the warden lets you try a cutting, or five. Take many so at least one grows.

Pepper,
I'm glad she got the bleeding stopped. I dread getting older and having one of those.

Dyan,
The second plant looks like catmint to me.
Do you live in town? If you lived in the country you could plant the primrose in a ditch, LOL!

Betty,
Yep, if I tried I could probably grow Penny Lane. Trouble is, once it gets cold out I'm done for the year.
This month is going too fast and yes, it's Monday already!
How pretty! You will have some nice plants to look at all summer.

Will,
Is there a place you could start seeds indoors?
I use paint pens, or a Sharpie and the labels will last a couple of years. I even had pencil stay on an emergency label from last year.
Not poison ivy, but close. All our new poison ivy growth has a wet reddish cast to it and boy am I seeing it in all the ''wild'' places around here. It will take over the earth someday :o(
The rose is gorgeous! I sure hope you can get cuttings!
The cherries look good too!
That's a lot of ''limbo!'' I'm glad you can take a lot of stuff.
Awww, baby cones!

Dyan,
I really think it is catmint, which is pretty in it's own right, but I sure hate mislabeled plants. There are two Russian Sages that I know of. One is smaller and called ''Little Spire'' if I remember my old tag. It's also bluer than the larger, silvery violet.

We got a good hard rain last night and a tad over 1/2''. That should do us. The gnats have hatched and I'm sure many mosquitoes are on their way :o(

We don't do Mother's Day. DD had her MIL out to the house. Since she is older, I'm glad they spend time with her. She just had a pacemaker put in and can drive now

We spent the day outside, pulling weeds.

I picked the first radish and put in another short row. I was stressing on not getting my beets in. I bought three different kinds, but realized I can plant them late, like I'm doing with carrots this year.

I should have mowed yesterday, but I need to today. I bet I wear a stocking cap, or at least a headband to keep my ears warm, or wait till tomorrow.

I'll be back with pictures. I need to size them.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

wow, u can sure I miss a lot when I am not on for a day. It finally rained and rained. went to botanical gardens yesterday, froze my tai tais off, but worth the trip... it was free.. never saw any of the roses in the displays that I have ( named) Carribia, American Eagle, Angel Face, but they had some I'd sure love to have...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Debra,
I'm glad you got rain. They are saying more rain for us later this week and over 4 days. We'll see if that changes.
I'd love to go see some gardens and yes, I love almost every rose I see.

It never got above 62° but we had sun and it was a cold wind as promised. I kept my hooded sweatshirt on even tho I sweated a little when the sun came out. When I was done and cooled off, the wind went right thru my coat and thin jogging pants. We didn't stay out all afternoon but came on for a cup of coffee and a shower.

The wild blue phlox is perfuming the yard and smells so good!

All of these are Lilliput Iris from Schreiners. They fade as the tall bearded come into bloom. I love them! My neighbor gave me teeny starts and they grew into nice clumps.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The rest.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love the copper one and the reddish one!!

I have a ton of pics of my irises and need to take more. Just been extremely busy with everything going on and haven't had time to get them on the computer.

nice collection, Billy. I'm off to the dr for a "physical" and then on to work. My hubby thinks I need some "bearded" iris.. all the ones I have now are from swaps and RU's. Can you shhow me your Phlox?

Draw a beard on an iris and you will have your bearded iris. LOL!!

lol AMANDA YER SO FUNEEE

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Aren't the bearded ones the males? Maybe Debra has all female bulbs.

They are male and female on one.

http://plantxing.com/2013/09/10/how-to-cross-bearded-irises/

That funny pepper! Nice irises, billyp.

well I aint doing all that LOL If Joe wants a bearded one, he can go buy one. :P good link , tho..

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

These are afew of my pretties in my yard now....

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Was only kidding. Lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Very pretty flower pics. Temp 46 F this morning, but sun will warm things up quickly. Train ride over. Heading into work. Happy Wednesday.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

You know gb i have not been to the lake in years. Sad huh. It is pretty there. We will have to make it a go to place this summer for sure. Morning all. The weather here has been very chilly for sure. Rain rain and very windy. Overnight it went down to 38. The nouse was chilly we had to turn on the heat for awhile. Bbbbbrrrr. Very gloomy all mothers day weekend. Have a wonderful day all. I am off we have some things to get done. I am off to the gym in a few. Really miss not going for sure.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ronna, I'd love to see pics from the lake. Good for you going to the gym. Enjoy your days off.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper,
''Music'' (copper) is actually more peach and is my favorite. The other, "Cat's Eye" seems to be an all time favorite.
Nice link! Someday I might want to try crossing.

Debra,
I love it when husbands have an opinion about flowers.

Pepper and Betty,
CRACKING UPPPPP!!!

Thanks Will!

Ronna,
Is that Mayapple?
Primrose are so pretty. My neighbor has them but it's almost too cold and she ends up replanting :o(
Foamflower? Pretty!
My favorite! Bleeding hearts :o)
Ooooh, love that last primrose!
We still have the furnace on :o(

Can you believe this???
My neighbor brought me a ligularia in advance for watering her plants this week. I have "The Rocket" and this is the other one. It has the very thin flower petals. It's in the garage so I'll read the tag later. I must have stayed half an hour talking. I came home and tackled the grass in the flower bed behind the garage. I'm trying to get all the grass out and mulch it big time! It's a work in progress and I'll just mulch the back half. I want to move the garden tulips to the edge and I will still need to keep an eye on the grass that survives.

Have a fabulous day!!

Billy, you have anice neighbor. Ronna, what is the third pic? I love it. sun or shade?

Just doing some staining this morning, I think I started around 8. - pic #1
Here's another shot of the backyard, of course the paint can is in the shot. - pic #2
I'm going to get more plants from my former abode, the unemployed drunkard says I need to get them by June the first or they go in the trash. He says he's now on the deed to my friend's house. In my trailer is my garden cart from there that I just got yesterday. It's got an interchangeable handle to pull behind the riding mower.

Hehe.. In an earlier post I made I said, (before you said you were kidding) "I think Betty might be pulling our leg" but I erased it because I thought you might be offended. : )

They are indeed pretties, Ronna. The gym is good.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I feel sorry for your friend Will. She seems like a nice person, but not much you can do.
I'm glad all is working out for you. Looks like you'll get to continue your gardening.

Sun popping on and out today. Grass needs cut again. All the rain, I guess.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra the third plant is a foam flower. I am so sick of the ground cover. I have tried and tried to get rid if it. So hard to do that. But none the less its there. Why do we make such mistakes when we first get to gardening??

Oh Ronna, usually the ground cover is the first to bloom in Spring, that is why I really don't mind it.
Will, what a mess, I am so sorry u r going thru this kinda stuff. You are a nice guy, get your stuff and leave that place behind you.
cold, and rainy here today, BRR!

Thanks Debra, it is a big mess. He gets drunk then makes these threats. I learned something though. - An unemployed drunkard wanna-be boyfriend trumps a longtime, non-drinking best friend. After 18 years (we met in June 1997, they met 6 months ago) this is what I get!
Yeah, like they say "onward and upward". Thanks Debra for the kind words. I'm really gonna adorn this place with plants, my Mom and Sister said I could.

Thanks Betty, she is a nice person, we're on good terms yet.

This is another good use of my old, rusted garden cart - picking up sticks, big and small out of the yard.

My trailer might be small but by god it means business! I hauled this curio to my storage unit, about 7 miles.

This message was edited May 13, 2015 6:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I see a perfect spot for a really nice shade garden there!!

I have squash sprouting in the garden now. Excited but need to get a pump sprayer so I can load it up with dawn and water to stay ahead of the stupid bugs. I have 4 seeds of one kind that sprouted and today I saw one of another kind. Hope at least one other of that one pops.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

looks like I missed a few things here ,, I do read here , I still miss things though ..

Will ,, ! You have been going through a lot of emotional these past few seasons ,, You sound in good spirits , Somethings going your way ,, and ,, always I enjoy those projects of yours ,, sometimes I think as much as you do ,, lol

Pepper , it gets to wet grow squash here sometimes ,,, I am back to greens and tomatoes ,, like where I began about half century ago ,,, hmmmm ..

recent pics
White iris
prince tulips
mustard greens
bamboo in a pot
cucumber sprouts
Hi all ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Freshly picked.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

GB I love the pretties !!!

I don't have to worry as much about too much moisture since I live on a hill. I worry more about keeping the garden full of compost and other goodies. lol

Hopefully I will get my pics on here tomorrow. We shall see. lol

oh my, what beautiful eye candy. I love those tulips and what is that Betty, a rose or a peony?
Raining here all day, I just moved what was left downstairs from the main first light down to the far south two lights, now to move the turtle area and we can go dark at the first switch. YAY!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Old garden rose. Blooms all summer and very fragrant. Purchased a few years back from HD on clearance. I can post the name later. On the train typing on my phone right now. Dogs cost me a small fortune at the vet last night shots & year supply of preventive so "I owe, I owe!"

Yeah ju, been quite stressful the last few months.
Good to see you again.

It rained all nite last nite. I think all that rain that was in Wichita came here!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I gave up on relationships ,, decided to go Socio , Hey it's an option , lol just not fixational or violent about being ... lol hmmm ,, there is the possibility of exception about being a plant killer though ,,, vegie-cide is still undecided ,,

I am planting out zinnia today ,,Watching the Sunflowers growing at lunch time ,,, Moving a couple plants ,, ooh ,, there it is again ,, the possibility of plant murder ,,lol
Keep on planting ,,, Until about June ,,,

you guys crack me up, hay the sun is out! we got a tad bit of water in the basement so that means we got a good amount of rain, no water in basement for almost two years. wish I was home playing outside, but like Betty, I have small fortunes I owe I owe. ugh.
If anything ever happened and I should become single, I would never marry again, that is for sure. 3 times is enough for me, this one will be 35 years in a couple weeks, tho, so that is a record on my side of the family. My mom was married 8 times, my grandma 4 times. LOL.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Comte de Chambord is the name of the rose last posted.

Question. Apple seeds sprouting inside recent store bought pink lady? Is this normal? If no one here knows, I'll post elsewhere.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
Your sister is going to find out what GOOD help you are.
Adding names to deeds don't happen that fast... I'm very sorry for your friend. She did not choose well. I know it hurts a lot to be passed over for the first guy that shows an interest in her, but we can see he just wanted a place to live.
I agree with Debra, get all your things in one day if possible and don't go back for a while. He'll just make trouble for her because he'll be afraid she'll ask you back.
I sure wish her sister would drop in on her.
NEAT curio!!

Yeah Pepper!
Squash is good!

Ju,
Good to have you back! I'm glad you've been reading off and on :o)
Nice Blooms! I love iris and fringed tulips! I've never grown mustard greens before, but buy them canned sometimes.
It's too cold to start cucumbers here. I really shouldn't have planted the peppers yet, but they were getting too big.

Oh Betty!
How freshly beautiful!

Debra,
Smiling over the many married women in your family :o)

Betty,
I have never seen seeds sprout like that. I'm sure it has something to do with how they ripen them.

OK, Wild Blue Phlox Phlox divaricata

The plant my neighbor got me is Leopards Bane - Doronicum caucasicum name Finesse. I set it by the Yellow Rose of Texas in the bed I'm re-doing.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

Finally got the pictures on the computer.

Unknown clematis and I've forgotten the names of the irises. A lot of them came from Powell Garden's iris hill so they have names....somewhere. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.