May Rains Bring More Colors

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw, was the concert outside? I think that band is going to be around here real soon. Been seeing them on my emails. Love going to concerts. So relaxing and fun. We have been to several recentley. I like the salvia and sage. The colors are so vivid. Yes the forsythia do spread around for sure. If we lived closer i would be more than happy to dig some for you. Mine is in to much shade. So really does not get any flowers. So beautiful in the spring.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nicole and I picked a couple of quarts already to make cherry jelly this weekend. Waiting for more to ripen. Happy Friday. Counting down the days until the RU.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra , is that to say if you had wings . you could "Fly Like an Eagle " ? he , he ,,

Here are some flowers this morning ,
2nd is a rose
Peony 1 &5
Foxglove 4
Lillium 3

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Juhur. Beautiful. Peonys are opening all around here too. I do not have any in my yard. Love all the colors never relized there were so many different one. Are some fragrant too?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Definitely yes GL Peony are often very fragrant .

I was planting mustard today , reading about cross pollinating that I don't want .

One of the answers was ,, Take some cattail and mustard , cross pollinate ,, you will get a :
Reed-Tard ,,, oh brother ,,,,lol

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL Ju!! That's a good one and in fact I'm gonna pass that one to my dad now before I forget. lol

I'm counting down too. I need to start figuring out if there is anything I need to dig up to bring. Plan on taking one day next week to transplant daylilies so I will get some of those potted up too.

Alton, IL

Well, life as a gardener is interesting. Now I have something munching on my Cora Bells. And not bugs. Entire leaves and parts of stalks are gone. I'm thinking rabbits. I haven't seen any, but I have lots of other wildlife so my guess is that I have them around as well. Could be deer, too. I've seen one in my backyard. But the plants are in the front, and that would have to be one, bold deer to come around to where the cars, street lights and people are. Although, I suppose it's possible that one wandered to the front yard during the night.

Is there anything that I can do?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

dyanisme I am trying not to be a Smarty , but , Pray !!! comes to mind ,,
Bells , a dog barking recording , (neighbors would love that , huh ?)
Something that makes a hissing or clicking noise ,,

pepper , hope dad likes it ,,

We will come back to bad days with everyone being a Lavengrrrrr jokes later ,, definitly some humor happening around ,, it all a good though .. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I suppose that would be better expressed , as Cross a Lavender ,, with a Tiger Lily ,,
You get a Lavengrrrrr that is fragrant

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's a dirty pic. Taken while planting beans. The Nanking cherry bushes. The bamboo.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Dyan, I read that sprinkling cayenne pepper on the the foliage may work as a deterrent.

If deer are hungry they will eat anything that they know isn't poisonous.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Betty!
That would be exhilarating and awful at the same time. Starlings aren't my favorite, but to be alive....
Alright! I wish I had room for beans. I need to wait till the spinach is gone. I froze four containers yesterday, so that's 6 for winter now!

Ronna,
It sounds like you do need to go back before it turns into pneumonia. prayers for you going out.

Pepper,
Would they be house cats or outdoor cats?

Will,
He was mostly scared your friend would change her mind and tell him to get out. Since she hasn't, he's relaxed. I'm glad. People like that can be unpredictable.
I'm envious of anyone with a LOT of land, LOL! Fruit trees galore would be in my plan.
That's a nice lilac start!

Happ,
Did it interfere with the building or was just too much forsythia?

Dyan,
My Russian sage is barely moving. Pictures of yours when it's in it's full glory!

Debra,
You can go in somewhere and shut off caplock. It was easy, but I don't remember how. But just Google it. Best thing I ever did :o)
LOVE Steve Miller. It sounds like pretty potent wine, LOL!

Betty,
YUM on the cherry jelly!!

Ju,
Laughing, I'd love to fly like an eagle!
Beautiful beautiful blooms! I wish foxglove did better here. The last hard rain really pounded my peonies. Most were on their way out, but I never took the time to find a bowl to float one in. I think the cats would have messed with it anyway, but they did smell wonderful this year!
Oh brother is right! That's a pretty bad joke :o)
LOVE the Lavenderrrr one :o)

Dyan,
I've never had a rabbit eat my coral bells, so I'm betting a deer. Do groundhogs eat flowers? Might be one of them too.

Betty,
LOVE worms and when it rains in the spring I pick them up off the street and gravel road, and put them in the compost pile :o)
Love the cherry bush! How wide does yours get? I might need two behind the arbor fences since I can't decide just what to do. Are they sweet?
Now that is some bamboo!

I had a little one wake at 5:00 this morning. I told her to go back to sleep. Way too early for a four year old.

Have a great day!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Debra anywhere a forsythia touches it will root. The forsythia swaying in the breeze (too close to building) rubbed on the side of the building and he was getting ready to paint it. So he killed all the forsythia. I didn't think it was possible to kill it all but he did.

I need solar power my batteries are wearing down...lol Need to mow but too wet to run anything across the grass.

Expensive month, have birthdays, baby shower, wedding, Fathers day, house warming and dogs to the vet....geehz. No plants for me...lol

Hosta swap going on in the hosta forum

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I dug up the biggest plant ever for me, a 12 year old Dwarf Alberta Spruce. I got it in 2004 as a Living Christmas Tree and it was about 10 to 15 inches tall then. I'm not sure if it'll be successful, but it's green today. I did it yesterday, so all green today has to be a good sign. I almost gave up after going on about 2 of hours digging it, but I gave it another attempt and finally got it. One that size has to be worth around a hundred dollars. Not that I'm selling it but what a wonderful addition it'll be to my sister's house.

Yeah, Forsythia has to be one of the easiest cuttings to take, I have one in water now. What I wanna do now is get some 'Munstead' Lavender cuttings from my former abode, to root here.

Those red berries sure look tasty! I'd love to have some Betty, my friend acquired my Nanking bush.

Haha! Lavengrrrr! Maybe Lavenditch!

Btw, my sister has found homes for 4 of the 6 kittens. She might take the rest to Walmart and try to give them away today I hear.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

oh my Joyce, that is too many events in one month. Cold here today, good thing we are busy here at work, came into my office to warm up..
Will, that is fantastic to save that tree.. hard work, but good job.
Good to know about the forsythia being easy.

Wish my nanking had berries, I am jealous, Betty. If any of those seeds came up I am clueless, everything is so crowded and lush I couldn't find anything if I wanted too. The skeeters are horrible on top of that.
Back to work, time to be cold again... BRRR!

Cold Wet and Windy here today also Debra....not a good combination at ALL...,.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Happ , that would be like keeping every plant mulched just the way you want it ,, and all the chores done just perfect ,,, way , way,, to much ,,,, for me anyway ,,

Heavy thunderstorms here and 80's ...

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, my lavender is 'Munstead' and it grows well surrounded by garlic. Lavender 3 years ago, it's much bigger now. I posted newer pic taken at night with infrared. I have Nanking cherry seedlings that I'm sending back with Pepper. Glad that you were able to dig up your tree and I hope that it makes it.

Pepper, it looks like you're going to be transporting plants back to the KC area for distribution; esp. cherries and blackberries. I love my fruit! I just hope that the rain lets up enough so that I can dig some more. I couldn't plant all of my veggie garden this week because the ground was too soggy in places.

Billy, the cherry bushes self sow and come up everywhere once you get them established. These 4-5 bushes formed their own hedge and came up volunteer after my 2 old cherry bushes died. I was absolutely thrilled!!!! They were producing cherries the following Spring and grow quickly to about 6' x 6' in my area. Can get even taller left un-pruned. The cherries are tart and about dime size. The birds (esp. robins) and squirrels love them. I mostly see robins swallowing them whole, so they're probably responsible for sowing them. Cherry bushes are especially nice in bloom.

I'm actually typing on my desktop computer for a change and it's so much easier to read and type on than my smartphone, tablet, or laptop. It's just that I'm not always posting from home or the guest bedroom where my desktop is located. I leave it in this room because Chloe uses it to play her computer games when she's over which is 4 days per week. I'm using it now because she's watching tv.

It looks like it's going to be a bumper crop for pears, blackberries, and garlic so far. The cherries did well too. I guess because of all the rain. Weeds are doing well too! lol

BTW, I have plenty of mint (pictured with purple blooms) to share. The bees love it! I also have lemon balm everywhere!!! When I cut it with the weed trimmer, the entire backyard smells like lemons.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

More pics from the garden that I found on my digi-camera. Rosa Glauca, Iceberg, Coral Drift, Snowfire, and Camelot.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

More rose pics taken recently at night with Infrared.
Pink Double Knockout, Sunny Knockout, Climbing Blaze (my 1st rosebush), Climber America (similar to my grandiflora 'Camelot'), and the chocolate cat with green eyes.
I need to get pics of The Fairy which is finally in full bloom.

Still rainy here.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the Cherry bushes, Betty. I planted that Dwarf Alberta Spruce that I dug up yesterday. It seems to have some transplant shock but I think it will be okay, only time will tell I guess. When I pulled it up there wasn't any major crunching of roots so I'm hopeful. Here it is today all planted up. - pic #1 My mom's dog Sweet Pea got in the pic!

'Munstead' seems to be a popular, fast-growing and fragrant Lavender, I love it!

Thanks Debra, I hope I saved that tree.

I found what appears to be 2 small seedlings from the Dwarf Peach tree. I dug them up and planted them. They probably won't be true Dwarves from seed, but it's a Peach Tree! In that same pic is the Dwarf Peach that they came from.

That's it, Betty! Lemon Balm that you gave me last year at the spring ru that I couldn't identify, now I need to find it at my former residence.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

You should be able to sniff it out Will. If needed, I have plenty of lemon balm to send via Pepper.

I'm taking masking tape to put on the pots and label who they go to so I can easily separate them out and get them to their proper homes.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Very nice flowers !!! GB ,, You love yours plants , and they love to bloom for you ,

Will you to , lot of plants to recover , from years of gardening ,

Well all your rain and followed by cooler weather is here ,, cold the next few days ,, 40's is cold after mid 80's and sun ,,

I wore jeans today and felt like I needed thermals on because the cold kept seeping in. But it was also hot inside the building so I couldn't win anyways. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, that's a great idea!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
Well, it's a shame it rubbed. I would have let it go too.
You do have a full, expensive month!

Will,
I knew the obstacle before you started to dig. Getting it out of the hole would have been quite a feat!!
Snicker, lavenditch. Clever :o)

Betty,
I wish I had a farm. It sounds like the cherries are to big for my yard.
LOVELY roses!

Pepper,
Sounds like we're all in the same cold boat. I want OUT!!

Dad's birthday party was small and nice. We had the kids eat on the side porch so that kept the noise down to a minimum. I am sick of sugar, LOL!!

Have a good day

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We have your weather here now , high of 60 or so today 40's tonight ,, I could pass on this , it is still raining this morning , started just after 2 in the afternoon yesterday .

One I know is happy with this weather ,, the cat goes and plays in the rain , the purrs being dried off with towel ,, rolls , and growl purrs , doing the happy feet ,, lol

I remember a dry season a few years ago that I might of been that happy to see it rain ,,lol But not this time ,,

morning all

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My last time probably to post on this extremely long thread, but we had a grand time talking about the May that seemed like April with all the rain. Then we shared pics of all our gorgeous flowers. Tomorrow, someone; and probably not me; will start the June thread. By the end of June, we will be in the heat of summer and have experienced another DG Spring Roundup.

See you all in June. : )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

New thread for Betty! And all the rest :o)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1396570/

This message was edited Jun 1, 2015 6:01 AM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

It's the thread wars! Billy and I created a new June thread at the same time. We must have been on the same wave length this morning. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.