Central Midwest Gardening: May Rains Bring More Colors, 5 by greenbrain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright greenbrain

In reply to: May Rains Bring More Colors

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of May Rains Bring More Colors
greenbrain wrote:
Will, my lavender is 'Munstead' and it grows well surrounded by garlic. Lavender 3 years ago, it's much bigger now. I posted newer pic taken at night with infrared. I have Nanking cherry seedlings that I'm sending back with Pepper. Glad that you were able to dig up your tree and I hope that it makes it.

Pepper, it looks like you're going to be transporting plants back to the KC area for distribution; esp. cherries and blackberries. I love my fruit! I just hope that the rain lets up enough so that I can dig some more. I couldn't plant all of my veggie garden this week because the ground was too soggy in places.

Billy, the cherry bushes self sow and come up everywhere once you get them established. These 4-5 bushes formed their own hedge and came up volunteer after my 2 old cherry bushes died. I was absolutely thrilled!!!! They were producing cherries the following Spring and grow quickly to about 6' x 6' in my area. Can get even taller left un-pruned. The cherries are tart and about dime size. The birds (esp. robins) and squirrels love them. I mostly see robins swallowing them whole, so they're probably responsible for sowing them. Cherry bushes are especially nice in bloom.

I'm actually typing on my desktop computer for a change and it's so much easier to read and type on than my smartphone, tablet, or laptop. It's just that I'm not always posting from home or the guest bedroom where my desktop is located. I leave it in this room because Chloe uses it to play her computer games when she's over which is 4 days per week. I'm using it now because she's watching tv.

It looks like it's going to be a bumper crop for pears, blackberries, and garlic so far. The cherries did well too. I guess because of all the rain. Weeds are doing well too! lol

BTW, I have plenty of mint (pictured with purple blooms) to share. The bees love it! I also have lemon balm everywhere!!! When I cut it with the weed trimmer, the entire backyard smells like lemons.