Show us your mail orders!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I will gladly do a trade. This is only the second year I have had JC - and I was SOO disappointed when it bloomed last year, but the blooms are much nicer this year. Hasn't really done much multiplying yet but maybe he's just settling in.

Just a fun FYI, Johnny Cash was born about an hour North of where I live. Also very close to the area, Paul "Bear" Bryant the legendary football coach was born. They must have good water in that area. :)

Spacecoast Hot Topic Clump, Circle of Friends - which always makes me think of my DG friends, a double of Graceland, and ?? I looked at the name last night when I took this, but I can't remember the name now!

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Robin, I do not feel like a Spring Chicken, but it is a pretty daylily once it gets big enough to have a scape. The salt was for size comparison, just a standard salt shaker. It helps to have something in the photo as a size comparison to see exactly what you are looking at. Sometimes I use a quarter, I see some people use cell phones, hand, soda cans, etc.

Genna, no hurry. Whenever you decide to divide is fine. Some of mine are just getting going good too. I love hot topic clump, it looks hot! They are all beautiful.:)

Mike, don't trip over that daylily!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Darn, I was hoping for an ancient Chinese secret to keep the slugs off my DL's or something. Maybe it helps to keep the picture straight, I don't see salt shakers in Mike's photos (lol) ; )

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Well...I am not Chinese but I do know a few secrets. LOL. I used salt a long time ago but now I used diluted ammonia because it dissolves the eggs too, I found them laying eggs in the crown of the daylily just like they do the hostas and during the night they would slide up the stalk and eat my flowers! Argh! This stuff works great!

In Mikes photo the steps do a good job of size comparison, the plant is really huge! His photo does look a little crooked so I do recommend a salt shaker. hehehe! *~*

Here is a photo for you Robin. lol ;)

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh yuck! NOT a good sign..............those slugs are munching away!!

I believe my last photo in the post above was supposed to be Cameroon Night - although, now I am posting a pic of it and it looks different. The one above was the FFO so maybe that is why. This pic also shows Gold Kissed which has a gorgeous color, but it is SHORT! :) That Cameroon night is stunning and really grabs your attention from across the yard.

Next is Crimson Flood, Cochineal Canvas, Harvest Sky, Autumn Days FFO

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026

Quote from virginiarose :
I used salt a long time ago but now I used diluted ammonia

How diluted and how do you apply it? Does it harm the plant? THANKS!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Years ago where I used to live, I had a slug problem one year.... they were huge and leaving slim trails across our porch etc. I was told to put out jar lids with beer in them..... the beer attracts the slugs and then they drown in it. I did that for several nights in a row and eliminated my slug problem. Not sure if it would work for a large area, but it worked for me.

Yeah Genna, I know about the beer thing but try and pry one out of my DH's large cold hands, lol! Just kidding...I could never handle dealing with those dead bodies...yuck. I'm hoping there's a better way (for me). Something easy peazy, have you tried diatomaceous earth?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

The slug-on-daylily photo is just a baby slug. It was in the crown of the plant and when it hatched it had a buffet dinner on my flower. I had another flower right next to it and waited a whole month to get a photo of the flower. Argh! When I sprayed the crowns with a solution of 10% ammonia the eggs and slugs were dissolved and no more problems. I use a stronger solution when it rains because it becomes diluted. I love to go out with my bottle and shoot to kill. lol. They will crawl up the side of the house when it rains. I go out and spray the house the sidewalk and all the plants, they love it! The plants I mean, the ammonia breaks down quickly and turns into nitrogen but too much nitrogen could burn the plants so stick with the 10%.

I sat out beer on several occasions and no slug came to it. It might be because they do not like the soil here it is acidic. I probably should have sat it on the concrete. Most of the slugs are around the house and patio and under flower pots. Not in the yard. It is possible that the eggs were already in the daylily when I purchased it. I had not slugs in the yard and I was stunned about what was eating my flowers, then I went out super early one morning and found this slug munching out on my daylily and I took the picture.

Genna, great photos! I had Cameroon Night but lost it last year, I was just now thinking about ordering another one when I reorder Ruby Spider because the one I got was so small I do not want to divide it. I got Cochineal Canvas from Blueridge one year as a bonus but it never did bloom and rotted over the winter.

Robin, diatomaceous does work but it cannot get wet.

1=slugs crawling up house in the rain. lol.
2=HOT GOSSIP, in a pot
3=ROSES AND GOLD in a pot
4=front bed getting some action
5=Eyeliner Lily is 5 feet tall this year.

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose

Thanks for the valuable info, perhaps the ammonia will work on Japanese Beetles too. I think it's a great solution (pardon the pun). I have no photos to share yet, but I am enjoying all of the above. One of these days...

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Your day is coming Robin! I do not know if ammonia will work on hard shell bugs. I have never tried it because I do not have any June bugs, the birds eat them all. *~*

Here is FFO on CROWNING FIRE and a few other things from this morning. Have a wonderful weekend!! It finally stopped raining and I must enjoy the next two days before the heat returns. I hope to get a lot done.

1-CROWNING FIRE
2-NIGHT RHYTHMS
3-S.C. FANCY DANCER

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice blooms there Genna and Susan.
Susan I heard that the slugs don't like cheap beer. LOL!!
Robin you are something else.
Susan that plant in the pic above should be at your door today. Don't trip over it. Cameroon Night does well here. it is getting bigger in a crowded area. Bitsy and Buttered Popcorn had FFO today. Will post pics tomorrow. Gotta run. Have a great weekend everyone.

Great looking DL's, what the heck, everybody should be out today, it's beautiful.

Sorry Mike, I can behave...I'll show ya.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok Robin, I am watching you with one eye. LOL!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike,

I am so honored to get that plant, it was huge like 10 fans or something. :)))

Thanks Mike!

I heard Slugs do not like cold beer, maybe that was another mistake I made. It should be room temperature? I do not know what kind they like. *~*

I just got Buttered Popcorn this past April, hope it does well here, also looking forward to seeing pics. Thank you!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, I didn't count the fans. I just took a big piece off the mother plant. She's still huge.

Aww Mike, that was so sweet! I can't imagine there was more to that plant...wow. How old was she?

Okay you guys are talking in code...what does FFO mean. I know a few slugs that like cold beer.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

FFO=first flower opened.

*~* Ah-ha! Some do like it cold. I can kill them so fast with the ammonia, I would never even consider looking for a saucer. I love to go out when it is raining, I can kill a whole bunch of them. It is bad for my ego. lol.

*~*
Mike, I thought that was the MOTHER plant. LOL. I think we could call this one VIGOROUS.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan you got a small piece of the whole sum. Ya ya!
Robin that plant was planted when I did the garden expansion about four years ago. The plant in question is located to the right front of Uncle Sam.
Macbeth
Buttered Popcorn

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

The expansion worked out very well for you. I cannot wait to see my Buttered Popcorn bloom. I have been working on the corner garden and I saw a couple of blooms, one was Ocean Rainbow, it has lots of buds but I am afraid to take a photo now because it might have faded. I also caught a glimpse of Tuscan Summer, still not as orange as I would or though it would be, got this plant as a bonus in 2013 and got one bloom then and none in 2014, this might be my year. :)
I am doing house stuff till the sun goes behind the house. I have had enough sun for one day. lol.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Daily vitamin "D" - check.
Raining off and on today.
Robin, forget the salt shaker, how about this ? LOL!
No life lesson to go with it. Use your imagination. Hehe.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Mike I am surprised to see that your Buttered Popcorn is blooming. I spotted the first bloom on mine this weekend - but it wasn't that good so I didn't snap a pic.

My Cameroon Night was planted last Spring and is just one very small fan. The bloom stalks are extremely tall on it and it really looks odd with these tall blooms stalks and big blooms from that tiny little fan!! Maybe eventually it will settle in and multiply.

Robin - FFO = First Flower Open....... I had to ask as well! :) The first flower is often not as pretty as what will follow - that is why they use that designation. But, be warned, Mike speaks in code a lot ! :)

Mike your addition has really filled in! It is so beautiful. It will be gorgeous when all those start blooming. I get so overwhelmed at trying to "plan" where to plant things, I finally just gave up and got things in the ground. My original thought was to scatter the early blooms in different beds and locations to spread out the blooms , and now I wish I had planted things that bloomed at the same time together to have large clumps of color. But, I wonder the yard every evening to enjoy all the blooms anyway so I guess that way I do more walking! ;) Just figure the clumps of multiples would have more impact from the road, but in reality, I am far enough off the highway most people never see my DL blooms except on facebook. :)

This double of Cameroon Night shows one of the blooms as I believe what ya'll would call a poly? Am I correct on that? Golden Illusion; Midnight Raider (FFOs); Circle of Friends Clump
While we were in New Orleans for our short visit, I purchased two "sticks" of plumeria. They literally were just two sticks about 1.5" in diameter and about a foot long. I brought them home and "planted" them and everyone thought I was crazy just having this stick in a pot - but look at my plumeria bloom!! :) I was soooo excited. I have two of them and neither was the color I was expecting, but I was still excited to have blooms!

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

In the previous post, Midnight Raider is before Golden Illusion....

Other plumeria, Thunder and Blazes, Westborne Corn Crib, my turtle that I picked up near New Orleans on our trip...... Sorry - can't get him to load straight.

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026

That whole garden is exquisite Mike, I found it interesting you followed the previous form and didn't change it up. You must have been thoroughly happy with your fist decision. Your no life lesson could very well be one. Before I used my imagination I thought, 'wow Mike, that's a really small stove'...

Thanks Genna for the code cracking. I didn't know the first bloom usually lacks luster but that explains why my Double first bloom was an unsuspected single last year. So good to know these things.

Argh Susan, I feel so pleased and satisfied with what I have now (it's more than I ever had) but I have a hard time saying no. I'm so excited to see the blooms you've already graciously shared and am now wanting to breed my little lovelies. Let me try a 12 step program before I accept another gift from you, what a dilemma!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL well, Robin, you will quickly learn that I am no expert.... Some of my first blooms seem to look just as good as any of the others.... but maybe its because I am anticipating them more! :) But, I have tried to learn at least a few things from the experts here - but most of it doesn't seem to soak in long term............. I must have a leak somewhere! :(

Genna, I don't think you have a leak, I think so many good people here have given you so much information it's hard to retain it all until you use it. I remember things better when the information is actually utilized.

BTW, you've got many beautiful and varied blooms for not being an expert, perhaps expertise is relative. You may be slow, but you're ahead of me...

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Robin, no problem. I am ready for a 12 step program myself. I finished my corner garden and planted about 30 daylilies in there but it still looks like I got a hundred to go. I know a lot of them are small and I am thinking about a raised bed till they get bigger. I have not even gotten my Maryott's order, I called him and asked him to wait till the fall to ship those.

So I only have two orders in the fall (September) the daylilies and a nice order of Iris from Schreiner's. I am so excited because they are all very tall, early bloomers, and hopefully they will all bloom at once like the old ones do. Most of what I have are cheap co_op Iris, except for maybe 12, I got from Stouts, including Dreamville. :)

Genna, Nice daylilies! My CAMEROONS NIGHT died but I was thinking about ordering another one. I have the same problem with stuff soaking in. It just means that you need a little more time to digest the information you already have. You can always ask again later. No leaks, just brain overload. LOL.

Mike, My Vitamin D is in check! Is that a small stove or a HUGE mixed drink? Hope you got some sun today. :)

Photos from yesterday and today.

1=ROSES AND GOLD
2=Zephyr's Song- one on left did not open, first time this one hung-up.
3=NIGHT RHYTHMS
4=NORTHERN NOCTURNE
5=CORNER GARDEN

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose

Very nice corner garden Susan, I love your edging. TA lot of work went into that one, are those Roses behind the DL's? None of those shown look small. I should show you small. I was going to ask if you grew them somewhere else and transplanted them without clipping the foliage. Gosh, I'm so enjoying the bloom show you guys, it makes it so much easier to wait for my own.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Robin! The edgers are Norfolk Cobblestones. Yes, the shrubs are Red Double Knockouts and they are so pretty, the flowers open bright red then fade or change to a dark pink. Sometimes looks like pink and red roses on the same bush. They will get big, the other one I have is about 5x5 so all that will fill in.
The daylilies were growing in pots and were just transplanted. the small ones are still in pots and seem to be having problems dealing with the heat. Most were purchased from up north and have not had time to adjust, I would like to do a small raised bed in mostly shade till they get bigger. I had a hosta bed like that and I just called it the nursery. lol.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

The corner bed looks great! That will really be lovely when they all start blooming! I love the stone edging as well. Looks nice! Hopefully the cars will stay out of it! :)

Robin, thanks for the kind words, but daylilies are almost fool proof. :) They are very forgiving (in most cases) and resilient. It has taken a few years for them to get large enough to really look like they are doing something, but several are finally getting there. It is odd to me how some multiply like crazy and others just stay that little single fan....... I did several trades for part of mine and then purchased a few along the way here and there. Year before last I found out about 2 daylily farms going out of business and got several at some really good prices. I don't spend much for mine because I figure if I do I will just kill them! :(
I hope to work out some more trades after bloom season so I can add a few more for next year. It is an addiction - not sure you ever have enough or too many. LOL

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

LOL, Genna, I hope so (cars)! Thanks for the compliments!

I learned my lesson buying expensive daylilies, too many of them rotting. Also, I have learned that the Hybridizer sometimes exaggerate about the plants so I will not buy anything based on the hybridnizers description, it seems to be part of a marketing strategy like the photo shopped pictures. LOL.

I just want to see it in someones garden, I love to read comments from real gardeners and their opinions of the plants they grow. The forum and the internet is a great source of information. I have purchased many plants based on a single comment here on DG, from a gardner. Just saying. :)

Genna congratulations on your success as a DL grower and finding good deals along the way. Although, it is sad you've found 2 Daylily Farms going out of business like many Nurseries around the country. Do you prefer the ones that multiply like crazy, or was that just giving the two extremes?

Susan, the Knockouts look pretty floriferous and easy to grow, they will be a beautiful backdrop for your DL's (from the street view). Good advice about holding a gardeners comments in high regard, they would have less of a bias than some of the Hybridizers. It's probably a difficult lesson for them to earn trust for long-term success rather than just focusing on a short-term sale.

Funny thing about slugs...I had never seen them slithering up a wall en-mass; but, the other night I went outside and found 4 good size ones on my porch rocking chair -- gross! about a month ago, I picked up the cat food bowl from the porch floor and put it on the seat of the rocker so the ants wouldn't get it , only to find out the slugs did!

I invited them for a beer.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Robin, you had me laughing out loud at your inviting the slugs for a beer............ :)

At this stage in the game, I like the ones that multiply, because I love to be able to trade with friends and people I meet on line. If the DL multiplies well for me, then that means I have something to trade. Those that wait a while to settle in means I have to wait a few years (or more) to get to trade them! Patience is NOT my strongsuit..... :) But, I guess if I ever reach the point where I have all the ones I want (is there such a thing????) then I wouldn't want the ones that multiply like crazy because then I would have to thin more often. Guess its a catch 22 because I will need them to obtain the others! LOL I don't think there is any sure way to know what will multiply well and what won't. Seems like weather, soil conditions, etc seem to have a lot of bearing on it. But, like I said, I am a novice so I could be wrong. But a couple of years ago I was buying some DLs from someone here on DG and I wanted a particular one added to my order - I believe the name is Clothed in Glory..... well, come to find out she had sold out of that one. So, I was surprised when she emailed me after she had shipped and said that she included a very small fan of it at no charge, but that it was a rapid multiplier for her and would make a nice clump quickly. I think I still only have one fan of it - MAYBE 2...... I had huge clump of one called Wedding Feast, and dug some of it two years ago to share at a Roundup. I guess it didn't like being disturbed, or the pending rough winter afterward hit it hard because now, I only have 1 fan of it !!! It was by far my largest clump and last summer I thought I had lost the entire thing! Thankfully, I still have my one little fan but I will say it isn't nearly as impressive as one little fan. :( I have some that have multiplied well this past year and I hope to do a little trading after the bloom season - might have to wait to fall with these extreme temps we are having already.....supposed to hit 96 today! :(

I love my knock out roses - so easy and so many blooms! they do make a lovely backdrop to the DLs.

It took me a long time to take on Roses, I was intimidated. I had a miniature Rose given to me and planted it 4 or 5 years ago. Although really small, I always enjoyed the blooms, even though the plant itself goes through periods where I think I'm going to lose it.

The year before last I planted a small Rose start from a friends garden and didn't even know what it was. This year it has small red blooms and is about 3-4' tall. I was so impressed with myself, I bought another miniature Rose from the grocery store and brought the beautiful specimen home, visualizing it in my garden. As soon as I got the back door shut, the stupid little thing started dying limb by limb.

Not giving up quite yet, I recently planted my only remaining cane but don't expect to feast my eyes on it's amazing blooms again.

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

LOL *~* Robin, yes! Give the slug a beer. That was way too funny! What is it about slugs anyway? Everyone jokes on them! I read an article about Washington State that said 'Visit Washington, 10-million slugs can't be wrong!'

Thanks for the kind words, you are right about the value of long term trust over short term sales!

Knockouts are wonderful. :) my first one was 3 inches tall from Michigan Bulb company. I still have it. :)

Genna, I do have some like that. I was sick last year because I bought an expensive one from Marietta's and it never bloomed. It was supposed to be an extended bloomer but last year made up for it. It bloomed and bloomed and you could see it for a block away. LOL. Very vivid pink daylily that made a nice clump. It was called 'A Friend to All'. My favorite of all.

Here is a photo from last year of 'A FRIEND TO ALL' from~ http://mariettadaylilygardens.com/

Here is OCEAN RAINBOW from yesterday#2nd. pic
3rd pic is ORANGE ELECTRIC from this morning.
Oh also from this morning is BREAKFAST WITH SANTA #4.

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose

Oh, thanks for the enabler link...I briefly took a peek and got the h. e. double hockey sticks outta there...

I've actually got to compliment you on your photos. Today's blooms are great and yesterday's blooms were stunning.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

My thoughts exactly Robin! :)

But I will say that A Friend to All is stunning!! And so are your pics! I love those dark vibrant colors that are visible from a distance and draws you to them! My yard is so big and so far off the road, if they are faded out colors, I don't even notice them until I go walking by each plant. That Ocean Rainbow looks pretty intense as well!

Roses are a challenge here because of all the humidity and the heat usually stops the blooms and they are done until fall when it starts to cool back down some. But, I sure do love them. I have recently planted 4 climbing roses from Heritage Roses. I purchased several of their roses back years ago and planted a bed in my front yard - unfortunately, the deer thought they were great candy! But, I have one that the deer have eaten completely down at least 7 or 8 times and it keeps growing back and blooming! It is one tough cookie but the only one of the original 8 that has survived. I like the heirloom roses because they are 'self root' and if the rose bush dies back (or gets eaten) it comes back from the roots as the original plant. I have had so many grafted roses that come back below the graft which is usually something totally different. My plan was to create a new rose bed in the back (fenced) yard and move that one lone ranger to it and gradually add some more, but it didn't get done this past winter as I had hoped. So, I think if I can stand the heat, I am going to try to lay it out in a few weeks and just start layering grass clippings and veggie cuttings into it and let it break down until next spring. I have some of the regular roses that I bought last year - and I have already lost most of them..... or at least most of the canes. :( The knockout roses are thankfully much easier and tolerate our heat and humidity very well. They just don't offer that wonderful rose aroma that I love. I bought some very fragrant climbing roses and have them planted where I walk into the yard every evening when I get home from work and can't wait until they get large enough to bloom!! :)

Persian Ruby is one of those dark vibrant ones that gets your attention from a distance, although it hasn't had a perfect bloom yet this year. Wayah Valley FFO - this is new this year but it has a nice color. Forever Island is pretty, but one of those I have to be close by to notice. The yellow one is By Myself, but it is much darker than I can manage to get it to photograph - not sure why. Genevieve Barry is the 5th one.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Another shot of By Myself that maybe does a better job of capturing part of the color
Sound and Fury
A bed shot of the south end of my foundation bed...... can't really see them in this shot but there are 3 knockout red roses that form the middle of this bed. I also have 3 crepe myrtles in it as well and then all of that is surrounded by DLs.

Red Volunteer - which is also a deeper color than I am capturing
Orange DL - Not sure of the ID on this one........ I think the tag is buried......

Very nice Genna, very nice. I also favor the intense colors but can still appreciate the pastels. Thanks for the bed shot, that looks great!

I did find this interesting pastel DL at a very handsome price here; http://mariettadaylilygardens.com/Introdetail2.asp?Flowerno=19346

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - that is too rich for my blood..... I know I would kill it for sure! :) But it is lovely, but honestly I haven't seen very many DLs that I didn't like! LOL and there in lies the problem......
But, some I am much more drawn too and as I have added more I have tried to be more selective about them - not sure I have done a good job with that, but I have tried.

The knockout roses are barely visible in that bed shot - but about a month ago the plants were completely loaded with red blooms. They are just now beginning the second rush of blooms. I cut those three knockouts back pretty heavily back in February or March, but never got the one on the other end trimmed back. It is about as tall as I am - 5'6" and hiding a few things behind it because it didn't get trimmed................. Originally I had two in the other end of the bed, and never got around to picking up a third one. One was pink, but for some reason it died shortly after I purchased it and got it planted. So, now I have one huge one on the other end instead of multiples.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.