Show us your mail orders!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Lol Genna, the best laid plans can often go awry (so glad I'm not the only one that can do that). The good news is you're the only one that knows how it's 'supposed' to look. Well, now me...

and the 800 or so views this thread gets.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

ha ha.....true!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Mipii :
Oh, thanks for the enabler link...I briefly took a peek and got the h. e. double hockey sticks outta there...

I've actually got to compliment you on your photos. Today's blooms are great and yesterday's blooms were stunning.

Robin, Thank you for the compliment! I need to stay off of there I know, I did see one I have been waiting for the price on this one to come down but his prices do not come down very quick. I think I might be able to afford this one in about 10 years. I am just thankful the ones I did splurge on have lived.

http://mariettagardens.com/Introdetail2.asp?Flowerno=19334

Oh yeah...well take a look at this one...I'd have money left over (lol) ; )
http://mariettadaylilygardens.com/Introdetail2.asp?Flowerno=19348

Yours is diamond dusted though...

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Genna, Thanks for the compliments! 'A Friend to all' is my very favorite! I just purchased Ruby Spider and I cannot wait to see that one bloom. Someone else had recommended Persian Ruby and I do have that one on my want list. Maybe soon but I am good for now! lol. Great pics, persian ruby is a must have. :)

I have been round and round with roses, I gave up a while back and decided it was just too much work for me. I just cannot devote enough time to spraying and they get black spot real bad, the leaves all fall off and no flowers. My neighbor gave me a very fragrant rose vine with gorgeous red flowers (pic#3) and it never got black spot. It is a noid, I have no clue what it is, the old man who planted it 20 years ago has passed on. I only buy Knockout Roses now and also I had good success with Rosa 'Rosa White Out' it was developed by the same man who developed Knockout Roses and was said that it was not a knockout and not as disease resistant. To me they have been every bit as disease resistant and never any black spot. I got 10 cuttings from eBay a long time ago, I love them. This one (pic#1) was wiped out by a drunk driver (pic#2) along with my lamp post (pic#2) last winter. lol

I got my first Knockout in a 3 inch pot. lol. it is full grown and I never prune it or dead head it. It really is a maintenance free shrub. Come to think I have never even fertilized it. lol. (pic#4).

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose

So sorry for your loss Susan, she was a pretty little shrub. I'm sure your lamp was pretty too. I hope he/she paid for the damage. Your others put mine to shame, keep up the good work!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from virginiarose :

Robin, Thank you for the compliment! I need to stay off of there I know, I did see one I have been waiting for the price on this one to come down but his prices do not come down very quick. I think I might be able to afford this one in about 10 years. I am just thankful that the ones I did splurge on have lived.

http://mariettagardens.com/Introdetail2.asp?Flowerno=19334

I might need to take this back, I went to the website and he has dropped a lot of prices! Also I would like to mention that he gave me this one as a bonus and it is a nice vivid pink, It blooms good and I really love it! I like the way he gives you one really nice daylily as a bonus instead of several junk lilies. Just saying. *~*

http://www.mariettagardens.com/Introdetail2.asp?Flowerno=18233

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Mipii :
So sorry for your loss Susan, she was a pretty little shrub. I'm sure your lamp was pretty too. I hope he/she paid for the damage. Your others put mine to shame, keep up the good work!

He did not have insurance. Our deductible is more than the value of the lamp post so we will replace it ourselves with the time is right. Other stuff keeps coming up, just replaced a hot water tank. lol. Thank you for the compliments! :)

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh my .....those are some beautiful DLs ..... but I will have to wait the 10 yrs for the price to drop as well! I would rather have ten $ 10 dollar ones than spend 100 on one that I am sure would die! :) Even better to have 20, $5 ones! LOL Or trades!

Susan, I will check my Persian Ruby - she just might be large enough to get a fan or two from..... I haven't really looked at it from that perspective.

Quote from virginiarose :
He did not have insurance.

The proper thing to do would be to pay for the damages out of his pocket, insurance or no insurance. He did the damage, he should pay for it. Some people should just grow up.

I'm of the same mindset Genna but I can certainly understand the draw of the expensive ones. Who knows, I may indulge one of these days...

as soon as I win the lottery or something.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL .... I know what you mean. I just want so many that I can't really justify it. Plus, I have killed WAYYYY too many plants - of all varieties, shapes and colors - to be paying that for one! :) I would be afraid it would keel over as soon as I planted it! LOL Although I have seen some that are unique enough to really tempt me.......

I totally agree they should have had to pay for the lamppost - with or without insurance, but I am sure if they wouldn't pay it because it was the right thing to do, it would cost more to make them pay than the lamp post will cost to replace............... Most people in our society lack responsibility for their actions :(

A friend sent me a link to a website and I have been window shopping on the daylily sight...... that is a dangerous thing. Then that leads to looking at other sites and well, you know, putting things in the carts to purchase...... LOL.....

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Going to be a scorcher here I think!

Genna

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from gen2026 :
Oh my .....those are some beautiful DLs ..... but I will have to wait the 10 yrs for the price to drop as well! I would rather have ten $ 10 dollar ones than spend 100 on one that I am sure would die! :) Even better to have 20, $5 ones! LOL Or trades!

Susan, I will check my Persian Ruby - she just might be large enough to get a fan or two from..... I haven't really looked at it from that perspective.

Genna, I agree! At least we will not be sick if we loose it. Let me know when Persian Ruby is ready, no hurry. I will find something you like too. :)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Mipii :

The proper thing to do would be to pay for the damages out of his pocket, insurance or no insurance. He did the damage, he should pay for it. Some people should just grow up.

Robin, he is in plenty of trouble, he also had no licence. lol. I cannot add to this because he is already overwhelmed. He did surprise me when he apologized to the daughter of the lady who went to the hospital. There might be hope for this boy, when he grows up. lol.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I was very thrilled to see all of the lovely blooms you ladies posted.
Susan you need a big boulder to the right of that beautiful bed by the street to protect it.
Genna leave your Persian Ruby alone. I will send Susan Persian Ruby and Cameroon Nights this fall. After all she sent me more plants than expected yesterday, so I owe her big time.
Susan, I got them mixed up. I have Cameroon Twister - first pic. second is Persian Ruby.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike! I think I need a few boulders. lol. Yes, I need to look into that one for sure! Wow, those are beautiful Mike, you really don't owe me though. That one daylily was so big it could have stopped a car by itself! lol.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Still waiting on mine to bloom and now my new ones will have to grow back from where the cows decided to have them for lunch. Just really glad that there is still some left of the ones that they got ahold of.

Everyone is having beautiful blooms.

Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Kathy, hopefully they will grow back quickly! Sometimes pruning them makes them better. Hopefully the deer will not come back and eat the rest. I have gotten spoiled living in the city because I have never seen a deer or a cow or anything massive. Once in a while a fox, baby bear or raccoon.
Lots of city people dream of buying some land out in the country and growing their own garden and raising chickens but they have no idea what it is like to work so hard and have an animal come and eat a month of hard work in one night. I must admit it would discourage me something terrible. Some animals will even eat the chickens!

Susan

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL.... that's true Susan, but there is such peace in the country.............. and the stars - oh my the night sky on some nights can take your breath away! We have had lots of kids come to the house over the years that are in AWE of the night sky - they have lived in town all their life and never really seen the stars.

Kathy, so sorry to hear the cows thought you planted those daylilies just for them....... I hope they come back quickly and that you are still able to get blooms. I would say mine or at peak, or possibly just passing peak........... I had so many beautiful blooms this weekend.

I got up Saturday morning and started putting out roundup in my big round bed that I worked so hard on earlier in the spring, and it started raining on me! With the sun still shining and I didn't even know it was supposed to rain. At first it started off light and then quit so I thought I might be ok - but then the bottom fell out so pretty sure I wasted that effort and the chemical ... :( We got rain off and on all day Saturday and then had more heavy rain yesterday afternoon and evening. I was really surprised.

Miss Jessie; Rooten Tooten Red, Rhapsody in Black, Ginny Mitchell, Hold your Horses

Mike, thank you for taking care of Susan for me! I really appreciate that, but I surely don't mind sharing - just not enough of it to share yet, because I did check this weekend. I did however make a list of about 20 that I do think I can share.....so if anyone would like to try to work out some trading. :) MAYBE I would have something you don't already have! Mike that does look like Cameroon Night to me.......... maybe they are very similar?

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Susan, it is really peaceful in the country. Part of mine is that I live around all my family (Mom, Dad, sister and both brothers) so life is normally pretty good.

I want to add more daylilies to my new bed, will really need to weed now that the cows have eaten them down and the rain is really making the grass grow around them

All the blooms are very pretty.

Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Genna, you are so right! and I say this with a tear in my eye, because stars are mostly just a memory for me. I know I use to lay outside and stare at millions of them and now I count them all on one hand? I would love to go there just to see that Night Sky and I would put up with all that and more!
Thanks for thinking about me, it is the thought that counts and looks like you have a lot of nice ones, Rooten Tooten Red makes a nice clump and we have plenty of time, even next spring is good. I will take notes as you post them, I do not have any of the ones you just posted. Hold your Horses looks like one I have called Bottle Rocket, vigorous because it made 7 fans the first year and the flowers tower over the bird bath in earlier photos when I had it out front. I wanted it closer to my Kniphofia 'Lola' because it echoes the colors, orange and yellow. Plus it looks good with the Powwow Berry Coneflowers.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/383552/

These are from this morning!

1=BOTTLE ROCKET
2=GRANDMA'S SMILE
3=COMING ALIVE
4=DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
5=DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from katgroves :
Susan, it is really peaceful in the country. Part of mine is that I live around all my family (Mom, Dad, sister and both brothers) so life is normally pretty good.

I want to add more daylilies to my new bed, will really need to weed now that the cows have eaten them down and the rain is really making the grass grow around them

All the blooms are very pretty.

Kathy

Sounds wonderful Kathy! I love peace and quiet. I wish it could be like it was when I was young when we would sit on the porch at night and count the stars. Mostly all you heard was crickets and frogs. Ah..the good old days!

I sure hope your daylilies grow quickly and those cows get some supplemental hay so they will not be so hungry! *~*

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Susan, I wouldn't trade my country life for anything. I tried living in the city for a few months but it just wasn't for me. Hope the cows stay away from my flowers also. As I said, I would like to plant more this fall.

Next time I sit in the swing and watch the stars, I will think of you.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Kathy! Next time I look for stars, I will remember you and Genna! I really would like to take a trip to the country just for a few days, it would be so wonderful. The only problem is that I am spoiled, but if I have the opportunity to plan things I am fine. I got caught off guard going to Ohio one time and drove 10 miles looking for a cup of coffee and drove 30 miles looking for a place to buy my mother a pair of shoes. lol. Talk about stress!

Hey Susan, just not knowing when my next cup of coffee will be would be stressful enough for me!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Susan what part of Ohio were you in as Ohio is where I live.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I know right. We ended up purchasing a coffee pot, then I was good. :)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Sorry, cross posted. I was in Mansfield, my brother use to live there.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I live about 2 hours from Columbus

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Bottle Rocket does look similar. I haven't looked up how tall Hold your Horses is supposed to be, but mine is brand new - single fan, and it is only about 16" tall. I have a feeling it is supposed to be taller than that - but at least it had a pretty bloom. It was also just stuck in a pot until probably the first of May so it didn't have a lot of time to get settled in. I am hoping next year it will be taller.

That Coming Alive really gets your attention! But then they are all beautiful......

Kathy, I know what you mean about living in the city. We lived in town for 20 yrs. It was a small town - 900 people- and it was a pretty nice place to raise kids with lots of kids in the neighborhood, etc. But, I HATED every minute of living in town. The last straw was when we had a certified pycho that moved in next door and he ruined our brand new lawn mower (although we had no proof), he poisoned 3 out of 4 of my kids bunnies - and the 4th barely survived, he threatened to kill our dog, my kids were terrified of him, and I was seriously afraid I was going to end up having to kill the guy one day if he touched my kids! :( I was SOOOO thankful the day I came home and he had a moving van backed up to his front door! But, after my experience with him, I NEVER want to live that close to anyone else! And, I love people, and am not anti social - but I want more "cushion" than that! :)

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

The daylilies are all beautiful. If I started a wish list, it would probably be a mile long and way to much money for me to be able to spend. Just got my car back Saturday after almost $800.00 of new parts and the when I got home today one of the older hoses has a leak in it so hoping that my brother has one that will fit it as he is always keeping those kind of things up he changes motors for people.

If anyone would have daylilies that they would be willing to send for postage this fall just let me know. Maybe by then the cows will stay in the fields. I checked this evening and the 3 are starting to grow back so hope that they will have at least 1 bloom on them. I am so tempted to tell him that I need the money to replace them.

Everyone have a great evening and stay cool or at least try.

Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Genna, A cushion is good! It is stressful living this close to people. Pycho or not certain things will get on my nerves. LOL.

*~*

Kathy, money or no I have a blast making a wish list.
I am glad he knows that there is a problem, hopefully he will control them a little better. If he knows he will have to pay for flowers it will encourage him to buy hay, it is cheaper than expensive daylilies. Tell him you have a collection, he should understand how important it is not to loose one that belongs to a collection. Collections are expensive, lol.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

You are right Susan - Kathy has a "Collection" and that makes them more valuble! :)

Kathy, I am pretty sure I will have some extras that I would be willing to send for postage - going to make a couple of trades first to try to get some new ones I don't have, but I am pretty sure there will be extras. Will be just a matter of if I can have enough to make it worth the postage.

Ya'll will totally relate to this, my daughter was looking at pinterest and saw a Daylily she really liked.....so I told her to look up the name. Come to find out the name was Diva's Choice - and I said "that figures" because I am always joking with her about being such a diva..... :) Anyway, she followed the pinterest link to a place that had it for sale for $ 16.00 and she said do ALL Daylilies cost "that much"...... I laughed and said that some cost a couple of hundred! And she said "HOW MANY DLs do you have??" I said I wasn't revealing a total, but that thankfully most of mine had come at much lower prices and trades...... I thought it was funny...... Now, I HAVE to find Diva's Choice and plant it just for her! :)

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Genna, if you do have extras, I will gladly take them off your hands for postage.

I got some very nice news, I am going to be grandma again. Can't wait but will have to wait until February 7th. Just hope that we don't have a snow storm around that time.
Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

LOL. Genna! I will keep my eye out for Diva's Choice!

Kathy, Congratulations on being a grandmother again! I will keep you in mind when I do some dividing. I hope the cows go away!

Oooh congratulations on your new addition to the family Kathy, babies are so much fun!!!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

It took me 14 years to get the 3rd one and now only 2 1/2 to get the 4th.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy congrats on the upcoming grand baby.
Genna you are sooo funny!

Sounds like you're on a roll Kathy...enjoy! : )

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Congrats on the pending new grandbaby!! How exciting. I'll probably have that long or longer to wait on my FIRST grandchild! :( the 3 yrs that is...... my oldest is 27 but is in med school with no income and his wife works 2 jobs for not much money....so they surely don't need kids, but I am looking forward to the time when they can FINALLY have one! All their friends are having kids - and I know they are getting to the point they want one, but right now I have to settle for a grand dog. :) And, I worked nursery at church this past Sunday and rocked a baby the WHOLE hour while he slept and I got my baby fix! LOL

Mike, glad I am able to entertain you! :) And she IS a diva! LOL

Anyone have any experience with Wayside gardens?? That is the ONLY place I have found Diva's Choice for sale...........but I have no experience with them.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2015 11:09 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.