Show us your mail orders!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL.... your son probably would be ok with all flowers!

Never been around tobacco being grown, but I have heard its a lot of work.........

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

There's usually really good dirt in those tobacco fields, from my experience. Have fun filling up your new bed Kathy. I hope your son doesn't have to mow 4 acres.

Gen2026, wow, 4 acres is a lot to mow!

Kathy, thanks, I'm going to get a list going of the best places/people to buy DL's from. That's what I call priceless information!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Robin, no we don't have 4 acres to mow but he tells me I keep cleaning off more and more. But I am the one that always mows around the flowers. Yes, there is good dirt in there. My Dad always saw to that.

I have been writing down who/what I get from different people. That is an easier way for me to remember and someday my kids will know also.

Tobacco work is hard, started working in it when I was 5. But glad that my Dad taught me the value of work.
Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I lost a lot of daylilies over the winter so I did splurge a little but just on cheap ones. I have many that are vigorous and will need to be divided next year, maybe a few this year. I still have a large hosta garden and perennial garden and Lily garden that I am working on. LOL. Not to mention my own landscaping and a bird habitat. My DH loves to cut the grass especially since he got a used riding lawn mower. I have problems getting him to weed eat but most of the time he does what ever I ask. :)

Mippi, I have photos of most of the daylilies I have gotten from different sellers. A nice lady names Brooks is shipping tomorrow so I will have my box when I go on vacation. Her daylilies were mostly around 5.00, I will show pics when they arrive.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I grew up on a small farm Kathy and I definitely learned the value of work. I work with several people who didn't learn that and it drives me crazy! I am proud to say that even though I didn't raise my kids on a farm, I made sure they knew how to work as well. I don't know that they know what it is like to work as much or as long, but they know how to work! :) In fact, my daughter has three jobs and she is a full time college student. Thankfully she doesn't work each job full time! :) Although, now that she is out for the summer, she will have one full time and one part time job as well as taking summer classes and studying for the PCAT. I see so many kids today who want everything handed to them, so I am thankful mine at least know how to work hard even if they never have to do so.

Yeah, we have a huge yard, but outside of it is just old overgrown fields that my husband attempts to keep somewhat bush hogged, but we need a big yard to fight back the invasion ...... LOL. Plus, less likely to have snakes and other unwanted critters in the area where it is kept mown shorter. Makes it easier for the hawks to spot them! :) We have a large riding mower that we purchased probably 8 or 9 years ago. I hope it makes it at least that many more!

I need to write down some of these sources for Daylilies. I am sure I will be adding more in the future! (shssss don't tell my family that! )

My condolences for your losses Susan, I've heard of a few people around the country that have lost plants the last two winters (not fun at all).

I'm looking forward to your pics, it's nice to feast my eyes. I also know for myself, I never know what I need until I see it, lol! Hope you have a great vacation!

A big fat thank-you shout-out to all the Mom's who raised their kids as well as Kathy and Gen did. Good child rearing was/is a lot of hard work and consistency that benefits all of us!

edited to add missing word...

This message was edited May 19, 2015 2:34 PM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Robin, I did loose a lot of daylilies the last two winters. I will not buy anymore expensive ones but I have some beautiful daylilies ordered and I cannot wait to see the blooms! I am also anxious to share pictures, I love pictures especially in winter.

Some good sources I like are:

BlueRidge Daylilies on LA

Northern Lights Daylilies
Daylilies By The Pond
Sterrett Gardens
Oaks Daylilies
Smokies Daylilies
Wynns Daylilies
Maryott's

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan I have extra seeds of the cardinal Climber. I will send them out Tuesday with CM.
Kids today are something else. My solution would be to send them to third world countries for the summer and I am positive that MOST will come back with a different attitude when they see how most of the kids in those countries are happier with a WHOLE LOT Less in material things and food.
Susan you made out like a bandit for sure.
Have a great Memorial Day everyone.

Thanks for the list Susan, good luck growing your new beautiful DL's!

Mike, regarding sending our young to third world Countries, that sure would be a fix for ungrateful kids...

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike!!

I was always telling my kids I was going to trade them for nice (__) children. Fill in the blank!

Robin, it sure is fun to look also.

I got my order from Brooks on the LA, I was very happy to see they are not big. These will be so easy to plant!

Thumbnail by virginiarose

They sure look healthy Susan, a really nice crop.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Robin you are sooo right.
Susan you are racking up!! LOL! I am going to send you a big plant to confuse you. LOL, again!
Susan, I filled in the blank and it was not nice!!!!!!!!!! Great minds think alike.

Lol Mike! : )

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Robin! They really are a good size, most of them are pink. :)

LOL Mike!! I am racking up a back ache!!

I cannot handle anymore big plants. I had to cut a few down to size. LMHO!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from katgroves :
Robin, no we don't have 4 acres to mow but he tells me I keep cleaning off more and more. But I am the one that always mows around the flowers. Yes, there is good dirt in there. My Dad always saw to that.

I have been writing down who/what I get from different people. That is an easier way for me to remember and someday my kids will know also.

Tobacco work is hard, started working in it when I was 5. But glad that my Dad taught me the value of work.
Kathy

Kathy,
Sorry to hear that growing tobacco is hard work. I love the flowers! I was wondering if some people grow a little for personal use like they do with marijuana?

My granddaddy grew up working on a farm and he had a very strong back!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Third world country visits would for SURE have an impact - especially if they had to stay long. My most easy going, hard working kid spent about 5 weeks in Zambia working at an orphanage. He already had a generous heart, but came back with an even larger one after seeing how those kids live. Most didn't even have shoes. It was pretty cool during the time he was there with temps in the 40s.... and most kids just had plastic coke bottles that they had gotten from the trash as shoes. They have learned to fold the plastic in a certain way and use duct tape to make them into sandals. :( Resourceful, but the lack of shoes lead to a lot of injuries and diseases. We SOOOO wanted to round up boxes of unused shoes and send back but when we started pricing the freight it was hundreds of dollars just for freight. We ended up sending some money to a lady at the orphanage to buy shoes because she could buy LOTS of shoes for what the freight alone was going to cost. Same way when my daughter and I went to Brazil. The kids there wore flip flops in the winter- because they were cheap. To ship a very small box to brazil from here costs about 150.00 .... :( If I ever get a chance to go back - I will have one whole suitcase full of kids shoes that I round up from family and friends and church members before I go! Shoes and hoodies......... :) Those kids were so cold and no coats or sweatshirts in most cases.

Susan, I had wondered the same thing, if people grew it for personal use. It must not be the right growing conditions for tobacco here - never seen any in these parts even though years ago they used to grow a lot of cotton, etc.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Good afternoon,

Yes, some people did keep some for their own use, my Dad never smoked so he was not one that did that. We did raise chewing tobacco for a couple of years, he tried that by adding molasses to it but still didn't have the taste of the real thing. The government done a buy out a few years back and if you raise it now there is a chance that you would only get around 50 cents a pound and there is too much work to take the chance of that.

It has been trying to rain and then the sun will come out. Hopefully it rains enough so that I don't have to water the plants this evening.

Thoughts an d prayers,
Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Genna,

I wish I could have sent my kids to any country. I could not get them to understand that some kids have no shoes and are sent to bed with only a bowl of rice EVERY day. My kids wanted to complain about the name on the shoes? I would tell them, at least you have shoes!

That shipping rate is ridiculous. I think postage should be free if you are sending stuff to needy people. :)

I have seen cotton growing here but not tobacco, I know they grow it in NC and they have the same climate so there must be something some where. lol.

*~*
Kathy,

Good afternoon to you! I do not understand why a government buy out? It seems like this would put the tobacco farmers out of business if they only make 50 cents a pound? The government makes trillions from taxing tobacco. I assume they would like to import it?

Yuck, I do not like importing any plants because we keep ending up with non native insects. Look what happens!

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/444/444-284/444-284.html

You said you raised chewing tobacco? Does this mean it is different from the kind you smoke? I thought tobacco was all the same. lol.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Susan,
Yes most of the tobacco is shipped in from somewhere else. They do grow it in different states but not slot of them. Yes, there is a tobacco for smoking and one for chewing. Needless to say, I have had my fill of it.

Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Kathy,
Thanks I never realized that! We had plenty of smokers and chewers and a few dippers also. lol. I read earlier that the soil the tobacco is grown in affects the taste, that might be why you dad could not get it to taste right. In Va. the Indians use to mix chocolate with it and did smoke it for pleasure, go figure.

Susan

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Kathy,
I learned something new today! Didn't know that the tobacco raised for chewing was any different than the one raised for smoking, just thought it was all the same. Guess it is a good thing that your Dad didn't smoke or like the taste of the chewing tobacco - didn't eat into his profit that way and was MUCH better for his health I am sure!

We didn't raise any types of field crops other than a veggie garden and hay for the livestock. Mainly we raised cows, pigs and horses, but my maiden name was McDonald and we basically had McDonald's farm having almost every type of animal at one point or another! LOL We did partake of the beef and pork as well - and I must say I got spoiled to having fresh raised meat. I would raise out a steer now except that I know that my daughter would probably have a fit about that!! Maybe I need to buy several cows - and just hide the steer out there among them so she doesn't miss it! LOL

When I was a kid there were lots of cotton farms and cotton gins in the area - but those are all gone now. Most farms are covered in Pine trees instead now.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, those fire ants are something else. The only tobacco I grow is the one for pleasure.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes there are two different kinds. The chewing tobacco has to be cut and put in the barn the same day so it was very heavy to handle

Thanks for all the new information regarding farming, go ahead and laugh at me but I always wanted some sort of farm. I wish I had grown up on one, I married a guy who did and he ended up playing baseball instead of farming.

Mike, good trick growing that Nicotiana at that angle.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh, it is the chewing tobacco that gets hung in the barns? I thought that it all did.

*~*

Mike, the ants are a nightmare. I love those tobacco plants, great flowers on those nicotiana. Is there anything you do not grow? Have some chocolate. :)

*~*

Genna, sounds like fun, eee-yi-eee-yi-oh!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, all the chocolate is in my stomach. LOL! I should ask you that question.. Robin straighten up. This one is right side up.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Susan, no all tobacco is hung in the barn, but the chewing tobacco has to be put in the barn right away as to keep the sun from burning it. We never did figure out the different as we only raised it 2 years as there wasn't as much money in it as there was the other. So now the field is part of my back yard and am making a flower garden in more of it.

I do have some of the nicotiana ones this year in a couple of pots, reminds me of Dad every time I look at them and he likes it when he comes home for a visit.

Ha, ha, I must've been half asleep...the difference is amazing, everything in your photo Mike looks perky now. ; )

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We have acreage where we live now and we were "supposed" to have a small farm, but we have been there 10 yrs and the only thing we have had so far are dogs, a cat (who went with us there) and some chickens! LOL ....I have really wanted to add some cows and horses - just a few, but I also don't want to be where I can't take off and see my kids wherever they land. So, I guess for now, I'm not going to be raising any livestock. Farming is fun and a lot of hard work, but you really need someone you can trust to watch your place while you are gone IF you plan to do any traveling. I don't have that where we live now.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Wow, growing tobacco sounds like a lot of work!

I do love the flowers, thanks Mike for straightening that one up. Funny thing is that I did not notice it was crooked, I just though you fell over or something. lol. Yes, I will take some chocolate. *~*

Genna, I just found out a few weeks ago that my city passed a zoning ordinance in 2013 allowing residents to have up to 5 chickens. That number was based on egg production and they thought that would be plenty of eggs for a family. I do not have room for a chicken coop. I do not even know why I would need one? I just want two chickens and have a private yard.

I have been waiting all year to get a picture of my neighbors Smoke Bush, I missed out last year. :(

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Susan, tobacco was a lot of work but it seems like family members were closer to each when they were working together. My 2 youngest kids and I are closer as I was their only parent for the last 21 years. But I taught them the value of work.

Love that smoke tree.

Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes, we need more of that! Thank you!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Susan that's really cool, but I bet if everyone starts having roosters crow every morning - they might modify that! :) I, personally, love to hear roosters crowing - as long as they aren't right in my window or something, but a lot of people hate that sound. I have been talking about getting some more chickens. I really like having fresh eggs! I was in atwoods a few weeks ago and almost bought some chicks they had for sale............ :) Might have to go back!

Kathy, I would agree with you about working together bringing families closer....... and of course, back in the day long ago when the families stayed on the same farm or at least didn't move far, they were much closer. My oldest son lives 2 hrs. from me, and my youngest is currently house sitting about 4 hrs. away and hopes to get into medical school that is 7hrs away. I think its a great school and I would love for him to be able to go there, but I sure dread the thought of him being that far away and in the opposite direction of the one 2 hrs. away. It would sure be nice if they could all land close together when they get finished with all their schooling!

My DLs are really showing out now.
Perseus Sandals, Spacecoast Hot Topic, and one of my favorites, Lunar Max

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Genna, sorry I forgot to say that roosters are not allowed, only chickens. I would like to have one too, I think they are cool.

Oh, I have about 1,000 recipes that call for eggs.

It is tricky to find chicks around here, I would probably have to drive out to the country. I need a bigger yard. lol

Genna, nice daylilies! I had three on one plant but they had faded by the time I noticed also one huge flower on Song Writer, I will try to get pics next time. LOL.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2015 2:05 PM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Ok, Susan, Roosters are chickens.........just male chickens. Hens are what you are referring to..... :) There, that's your farm lesson for today! :) That makes more sense on the ordinance though.......

This clump of Miss Michaels was a nice surprise. My Perseus Sandals had a bunch blooming this morning - but I prefer it when it only blooms one or two at a time so as to stretch it out for as many days as possible. It is planted close to where I park so I like to enjoy it for as long as possible..... LOL

Jungle Butterfly and Johnny Cash round out the show.........

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Just keeps my head straight, I know they are hens but I still like to call them chickens, it sounds more friendly. lol. I would love to have a rooster too, I do not mind the noise.

Miss Michaels looks like a nice pink one, I trust Johnny Cash always rounds out the show! My mother always listened to country music and I know all them from childhood. I loved deep voices so JC was one of my favorites. I really like that daylily! Maybe a trade some time? *~*

I actually have Jungle Butterfly, it was a bonus from somebody a couple of years ago, the first and second year it only had two flowers and I started to dig it up but never did. This year it has seven scapes and about 20 buds right now. It is listed as having 3 scapes and only 18 buds. This is a good example of a hybridnizer registering a daylily with northern results, and how we can always expect more in the south, also if a hybridnizer is from the south and registers a daylily you would just expect less in the north.

Well, it poured rain today with thunderstorms, no hail here though ( thank goodness!) but some surrounding cities had hail. I am so glad I did not get any, it would have destroyed my hostas like it did the second year I had them. I was so devastated. :(
Needless to say, I did not get a good picture of Song Writer, I am stunned at how big the flowers are this year, they are huge!

Here is a pic of the Jungle Butterfly scapes.

Very, very nice Genna.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Dusting myself off. LOL! Susan tripped me. Booooooooooo!
Genna love those blooms.
KatGroves you are so right.
Robin I just posted another pic just for you. Haha.
Susan is this plant big enough for you ??
Have a great day everyone.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike *~* That plant is huge! How many fans is that? Don't wear yourself out planting it. I was lucky enough to get some nice small plants from Johnnyappleseed, I had enough energy left over to go to work. LOL.

Mike, Mike, Mike...lol! This must be your day, that one is as lush as it is huge, very nice!

Susan, are you saying you're not a spring chicken? What's the salt for? Can't wait for this lesson!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.