Daylilies: Show us your mail orders!, 2 by virginiarose

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright virginiarose

In reply to: Show us your mail orders!

Forum: Daylilies

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Show us your mail orders!
virginiarose wrote:
The slug-on-daylily photo is just a baby slug. It was in the crown of the plant and when it hatched it had a buffet dinner on my flower. I had another flower right next to it and waited a whole month to get a photo of the flower. Argh! When I sprayed the crowns with a solution of 10% ammonia the eggs and slugs were dissolved and no more problems. I use a stronger solution when it rains because it becomes diluted. I love to go out with my bottle and shoot to kill. lol. They will crawl up the side of the house when it rains. I go out and spray the house the sidewalk and all the plants, they love it! The plants I mean, the ammonia breaks down quickly and turns into nitrogen but too much nitrogen could burn the plants so stick with the 10%.

I sat out beer on several occasions and no slug came to it. It might be because they do not like the soil here it is acidic. I probably should have sat it on the concrete. Most of the slugs are around the house and patio and under flower pots. Not in the yard. It is possible that the eggs were already in the daylily when I purchased it. I had not slugs in the yard and I was stunned about what was eating my flowers, then I went out super early one morning and found this slug munching out on my daylily and I took the picture.

Genna, great photos! I had Cameroon Night but lost it last year, I was just now thinking about ordering another one when I reorder Ruby Spider because the one I got was so small I do not want to divide it. I got Cochineal Canvas from Blueridge one year as a bonus but it never did bloom and rotted over the winter.

Robin, diatomaceous does work but it cannot get wet.

1=slugs crawling up house in the rain. lol.
2=HOT GOSSIP, in a pot
3=ROSES AND GOLD in a pot
4=front bed getting some action
5=Eyeliner Lily is 5 feet tall this year.