Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Pmermakov on the Lily Auction.

LAVENDER BLUE BABY
SPRINKLED WITH SPRINGTIME
DARLA ANITA

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:26 PM

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, those are looking good. I did not buy a single daylily (yet) this year. LBB is a fav here.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:27 PM

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I love Oakes! Beautiful fans and bonus plants, too.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

My first order with Oakes was awesome, back in 2012. I thought the prices were good and I was trying different things so I ordered. The box was huge for just 5 daylilies but most were actually triple fans.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, maybe you should start diversifying your foliage. So far I have a couple that I have noticed that has not shown their faces (LOL!) above ground. I am going to give them another week before I start probing.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike, that was why I ordered this year because my original plan was to order nothing. LOL.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:28 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, I am hoping that some survive for you. I know you spent a LARGE fortune on them. LOL!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a few too Mike not showing up yet, they were new evergreens so I hope they made it through our horrible winter. Dragonfly Dawn was one of them.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy, I feel your pain. Let's wait and see if we can get lucky to some degree. One of mine that;'s not up survived the 2013 winter as a single fan. It had increased to a double last season.
Last Snowflake - I believe I saved some pollen from this one. I have to double check.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I haven't had any luck with frozen pollen. Now if I pick a bloom and put it in the fridge for a few days, that seems to work.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I haven't tried it yet. I will experiment this season.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I think people in the north might actually make out better than the south with these evergreens.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:29 PM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I always buy from LA too. I also sell on LA.

Wyoming, MN

Daylilies sprouting all over the place now. It will be weeks before I know if I lost any. I don't buy many ev's but I have had very good luck with all of the ones I have purchased ..so far. Single fans I purchased early in my my hobby took a while to settle in and multiply or bloom but they eventually did.

Gary

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't buy many ev's either but I do find that sometimes semiev's can be just as tender here as the ev's.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

SEV seems to be a label they put on everything when they do not know.

hemlady,
are you the one who had the seeds?
I got two Bubblegum Delicious from Maryott's fall clearance for 9.00 each. These are listed as evergreen EM but they did not rot, they are more mid then early and are doing fine.

Here is one of those triple fans from OAKS. :) They send triple fans or larger. This plant was about 12" wide! LOL.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:31 PM

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

That's a big one. I counted five fans from where I am sitting

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Isn't that unbelievable? Everything I ordered was between 5 and 10.00!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes Susan, I do sell seeds and plants although I don't have any plants up for sale on LA right now because I have a lot listed on ATP.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

You mean the co-op? That is good and free too, right?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

No not the co-op. I sell on the Lily Auction. There is a classified section on All Things Plants that I will be offering free seeds in about June.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Cindy, that is very nice of you and also Mike for sharing your seeds. :)

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:33 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan you are like a kid in a candy store I see. LOL!
Are you going to tell us which ones you chose ???

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Cindy, I hope Dragonfly Dawn recuperates for you! I got an email today saying that Oaks has shipped my order! This will be interesting! They said they are giving me INDIAN GIVER as a bonus plant, I already have that one but it sure is a beauty, and vigorous!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:35 PM

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Good morning,
Everyone is really getting in planting now. I have a friend that lives in IL and she sent me 13 different colors of daylilies but didn't say what y of them were. Guess I will wait and see what colors they are and then see if I can find names. Doesn't really matter as long as I have them.

Everyone have a great day.

Kathy

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Kathy, they are all beautiful.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2015 8:36 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy where in IL is your friend located ? It should be interesting to see them bloom. Susan good for you !

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Quote from hemlady :
I always buy from LA too. I also sell on LA.

Where do I find LA, what does LA stand for?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from HazelCrestMikeB :
Kathy where in IL is your friend located ? It should be interesting to see them bloom. Susan good for you !

Thank you hosta man!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Nike, she lives in Albion.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan you are welcome.
Kathy i have never heard of Albion until now, LOL! Good for you.
Mipii the auction is here. Warning, enter at your own risk and loss of money!! LOL!
http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi

Thanks Mike!! I found a couple more sites that had a pretty good selection with some pretty good prices, thought I'd pay you back in kind...lol.

http://newbeginningsdaylilies.com/
http://smokeysdaylilygardens.com/

You very likely already know about these sources. I've been searching for good prices on a few cultivars I've been pining for.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mipii,

Be sure to check any company out on the watchdog to see what kind of feedback they have. I forgot a couple of times and I regretted it. LOL.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Got my first bloom today!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Congratulations!! The only thing that I have that has bloomed is my Cherry Tree 'Yoshino'. Spectacular this year and my hostas are getting bigger by the minute. I got my box from Oaks today!

Happy bloom day Happytail, what color is it?

Thanks for the reminder Virginiarose, I couldn't find Smokey's on watchdog but, New Beginnings got a great review.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mipii look here!!
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7091/

Happytail did you take any pics of the first bloom?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Smokies had 26 good reviews and one negative by someone who ordered 300 white daylilies! They did not do their homework, because most white daylilies are not really white they are 'near white.' Smokies did replace the 300 daylilies and the guy still left negative feedback. The guy only had one review so it was obvious that he only joined so he could slander Smokey's. I got nice big fans from them in 2012 and the double fans I ordered were all 4.95. I was very happy with them.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7091/

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

When Smokies first came on the scene several years ago, several people stated that they sent mislabeled daylilies and a lot of people got the wrong plants. Hopefully they got that issue straightened out. I only purchased from them one time and got nice plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.