March 2013 Marching into Spring while flying a kite!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Well, I did it! I started the March thread.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Yay!! LOL. Roads are starting to be cleared and widened some more so school can be in session again on Monday.

Flurries again all day. Didn't amount to anything though!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yes you did start the March thread, thanks! Haha! Me a squirrel! I tell you hanging upside down isn't easy! Thanks, interviewing is work! I have another interview Monday, up a different alley in computer stuff. This one is kinda far away, speaking of Kansas, that's where this company is at. But, I will travel to Overland Park, KS. if everything is right and they'll have me.

Yeah, flurried a little here too, nothing accumulated

Your tomatoes already sprouted eh? All my seeds haven't yet, I looked earlier this afternoon.
In that other silly post of mine, I hope it doesn't look like I'm saying anybody made me mad calling me crazy or something, I'm just poking fun at myself, I never get mad, I like everybody here. : )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Good luck at the interview , and order the seeds to sprout , they will anyway ...
You all do sound like an industrious bunch .
Too much caffeine here!!!^_^

gb' Congratulations on being first!! LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I enjoy all the humor on this forum. It lightens things up.

Maybe besides singing and talking to my plants, I should tell them jokes? lol

I enjoy my lame attempts at humor, it makes me laugh inside!
Thanks ju, I'll try to put my best foot forward again! I'm running out of best feet!

Hehe.. probably too much caffeine, I never drink coffee myself but I drink plenty of sodiepop!
You can always count on Coke or Pepsi to be there! I don't discriminate on the two, they are both delightful. If I had to choose though, (and both were available), I suppose I'd go with Pepsi.
Pop just tastes so good! Speaking of which, I like mine real cold and I put a can of Pepsi in the freezer this morning and I forgot about it, it now has some ice in it, but it's cold!

Haha, you sing and talk to your plants too?! Sure, the plants would enjoy the jokes!

Here is Grubworm right on a squirrel on the window-sill! Sorry the photo is so dark and I didn't have time to zoom in and exclude all the clutter in the living room. That big exercise ball is just used for sitting and watching tv! I like to fall down on it from a standing position myself! Back to that squirrel, you can barely see his/her little ears sticking up above the Window and his/her bushy tail in the silhouette of the tree. We like to sit there and watch the monitor of the squirrels getting on the birdfeeders on the front porch, knocking each other off and stuff! - This monitor photo is a couple days old but you can see the squirrel stretching from the bottom feeder and eating out of the top feeder!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Watching the squirrel on the monitor? That is so funny! I just look out the window. That is something like my husband would do. Must be a guy kinda thing. (lol) My husband also has Pepsi running thru his veins. There are a few generic colas that he'll drink, but not too many. Gotta have his M & Ms too.

My tomato seedlings are doing well. Whenever I'm up to it, I'll take a few pics. I've been getting a head start on Spring cleaning today & I'm so exhausted that I sent my huband out for Chinese food. I'm almost too tired to type this post. Gotta go crash somewhere. Later. : )

I wanted to share a couple of potting up things I did this afternoon. I made 2 of those plastic oval tubs into planters today. In the blue one I put one pot of the Dorotheanthus bellidiformis Mezoo from Pepper at one end and cuttings of my Coleus 'Watermelon' at the other end. In the yellow/lime green glow-in-the-dark one, I put a Ponytail Palm at one end and cuttings of my striped Wondering Jew at the other end! I'm trying to get a start on potting stuff up into decent looking pots and taking advantage of all the nice plants I have, this year. -
The second and fifth photos just show them in the crowd.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hehe! The view from that camera shows more! And besides, one doesn't have to get up from a seated position to see the squirrels and what-not. We don't really have a big problem with crime, it's just nice to see who is at the door, like some certain church folk or salespeople! There is also a chance that the wildlife would fly off or run off if you stood close by the window or made a noise perhaps.
Why waste a $29.99 camera from Harbor Freight?!

Pepsi is a good choice, I like some generic pop too.

My seeds aren't sprouted either yet.

Rest-up, greenbrain!

Has anybody ever seen rocks painted up like a cat and a turtle?!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Tired here today!! I was supposed to take my nephew sledding at monkey mountain with some friends today but their van broke down last night so we just stayed home and sledded here. Another friend came with her daughter and joined us. We started late morning and went til around 4pm or so. I had to change my clothes because I didn't wear my bibs (too warm) so I was soaked from pushing the kids down the hill and falling. lol. All in all everyone had a blast.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I have a friend who has been painting rocks like that for several years now. I've always liked her artwork. Those are very nice too.

Pepper, sounds like you had fun getting tired. I still love sledding too! Did you have hot cocoa afterwards?

Will, I like what you did with the blue and green plastic tubs. I'm getting ready to do some potting myself. I've been rooting some pothos cuttings. They've been in water for a while and it's time to pot them in soil. I've got to sow peppers & eggplant too.

Our family just finished watching a movie together & I'm off to bed. Got church tomorrow morning. Good night all!

Thanks green, those rocks were painted by my roommate's deceased Aunt, she was a nice lady, I met her several times too. She really enjoyed painting rocks, she'd go to a creek in West Plains, Mo. especially to get nice rocks for painting in her later years.

That pepper, she is a sledder! Monkey Mountain Park is neat, I went there sometimes as a kid.
Some kids behind us are going down something of an incline in the snow that's only about 5 feet long in one of those plastic wading pools! lol It must be big fun they've been doing it for like 2 hours and hooting and hollering! I suppose you make the best of what you got!

Thanks green, I potted up a couple more things this afternoon, a Begonia (photos 1-3), well, it was in 2 pieces. The other was a Sansevieria Snakeplant (photo 5), not a Mother-In-Laws-Tongue.
The Sansevieria was just getting a little bigger pot, it was starting to look cramped in the tiny one it was in. Someday I'm hoping it will be big enuff to bring out for people to see!
I got that Snakeplant from cat64129 (photo 4), 6 years ago this Oct. - That's the cuttings at the very top of the photo. This little Snakeplant is all that's left of it. I was thinking about potting up that Mezoo but I didn't, I deemed the Begonia a little more urgent right now. Maybe you can post photos when you pot up your stuff, green.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Just curious green, are your cuttings of Pothos the green variety or the gold variety? I rooted 1 cutting of Golden Pothos from a friend in N. Carolina last year. That Pothos is so easy to root . It is doing quite well so far, I hope to get cuttings off of it later this year. - Here's that big cat, Bob, in my business again! - lol By the way, I cleaned all that dirt up, it looks like a mess in the photo, I just keep the broom and dustpan over there! Isn't this nice? The cat Rudy has got a selection of SpiderPlant babies to select from and then chew on! I don't really mind, it'll grow plenty in the warm weather outside later. In the meantime I put it up very high toward the ceiling, unfortunately it's under an end table and she just stands on it and knocks babies off, she is a big, long cat.
She is a nice cat though, she likes me better than any of the other cats.

Here is the Ponytail Palm and the striped Wondering Jew in that yellow/lime plastic planter that I did yesterday, they are still alive, that's always good! Here is the Mezoo and 'Watermelon' Coleus, it's still hanging in there too, I also potted it yesterday.
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I always just love your project pic's !!! ^_^

Thanks ju! I am handy with a camera! I'll take a photo right in middle of doing something! My hands might be dirty but that doesn't really bother me, I just try not to get the camera too dirty!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I believe it is quiet here! You all working hard being early risers , have all gone to sleep early ..!! New jobs , new weather . and all projects have worn everybody out..
Not much doing here . preparing for snow , and it is raining , old winter stays ,,,
Great fun with family and friends instead of typing here.. that's a good thing really!!!!

My seedlings besides being routines is about it for here.

Thumbnail by juhur7

Was at work today for sure. lol. Waiting for the rain/snow to come in. And waiting for Weds to get here so I can go find some work shirts and shorts. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Everything is good about that ! working will keep you healthy , might make you wealthy , and for sure to make you wiser .
Last good job , oh memories , I what I would not give for one I enjoy !!!
You lucky pepper you !!! except for that it's Monday , hee he ..
SHHHH it will pass and be Tuesday before you know it!!!!

I think my Pothos is Green Pothos, it doesn't look like Golden Pothos that my friend says, I think he's mistaken. But, anyway there's this odd green stuff growing on the other side of that pot, it has me stumped! I kinda like it! Maybe it's lettuce! Does anyone recognize it? Here's Golden Pothos in Plantfiles, mine looks nothing like these photos. - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/184941/
Here's a couple photos of my Pothos. - Maybe it is Golden in the Summer or something, I'll have to ask him if he's sure it's Golden Pothos.

My new plastic oval planters are still full of alive plants! The first one is a Ponytail Palm and striped Wondering Jew and then the Mezoo and 'Watermelon' Coleus in the blue one.
See my $1 Patio Palm in there over on the right, that's it close to or touching the fluorescent light?! I can attest that houseplants don't look too good in the Winter! They probably want more warmth, light and more water than they get now, they only got another month and a half to wait to go outside hopefully!

I hope it doesn't snow much more, I'm almost out of birdseed!

Yes, it will be Tuesday soon, in about 15 minutes!
Your seedlings are really coming along, ju, mine haven't sprouted yet, I look every day.
Yes, family and friends are important to stay close with.
I got a friend who is an electric utility meter reader, it really helps keep him in good health too, and I'm sure $27 an hour doesn't hurt either!
They say, "if you get a job you enjoy, you'll never work a day in your life", I'm not so sure that's so, I've never met anyone or seen anyone on tv who wouldn't rather be home than at their job!
Everybody have a nice Tuesday!
Will

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 12:19 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

30°/32°/30°
A wintry mix of precipitation this morning. Then some light rain and freezing rain mixed this afternoon. High 32F. Winds ESE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precip 70%.

Will,
Yes, we tied the arbs together towards the top. The ice can still bend them over a little, but they straighten just fine. I hope those did. Yikes!This spring we will be redoing all the tying.
ROTFL!! Love 2' of snow!

Ju,
Nice little plants!

Will,
Isn't your first bird a chickadee? I have them and a nuthatch :o)

Ok, I just had to skip to the end. Too much to read and I have laundry and dishes to put away.

We were up at 3:00 am and had a bit of coffee. Then we were out scooping. It's still snowing and we have 4'', I'd say. We'll scoop later when it's about done. We had a light snow yesterday and we scooped. Then it all melted, LOL! But, it's more fun to scoop than get on the treadmill.

Have a wonderful March day!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Will - (you little weezle) I found you!

Edited to add:

Will, cut the blooms off your Coleus so it can put its efforts into ROOTING and growing! Oh, me oh my - Will - don't make me come up there!

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 1:06 PM

Ok, thanks, that's a good idea, (sinkhole lady)! I've seen the news, Florida is going in a big sinkhole! I'll do that tonite, thanks, I do want nice Coleus later. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. Oh, I know all about editing, it's too bad emails don't have an edit button, (not that I've ever sent one that wasn't right! lol)!

Yes billyp, those Arbs that were so bent next door then, would straighten back up mostly, but it was evident that they were not taken care of in the ice and snow, to anybody that looks at that.
You can tell the ones that were taken care of in the Winter, they're like straight garden sentinels and not crooked bushes! Hehe.. the 2 feet of snow is funny!
Will

Will, I expect you to dig me out if I fall into a sink hole.

Sure, I would! That poor guy that died didn't have anybody to help him out. Man, what a way to go, especially when your sleeping.

I trimmed off those Coleus blooms and most of the leaves, probably all the bigger ones. Here they are now. -
If there is anybody that likes to see 30ish houseplants, here's a bunch, that's one cart in the last 2 pictures, (I couldn't get the whole cart in the photo). -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

You'll be glad you cut them back. Now, stick the cuttings in water and in a week, you'll have roots. Then, plant them back in the pot, for a nice full pot of plants!

Thanks, I'll put some in water tomorrow. If they don't make it, I'll tell on the internet how you killed my Coleus! Just kidding, but I better not do anything more down there tonite, it's right under my friend's bedroom and she has already gone to bed, I always make noise when I'm down there. Money-wise, I need to get handy with seeds and any type of free propagation (like cuttings) right now! lol

Oh KayJones, do come visit when you visit your people here, I know for years you lived in the metro here!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I got a couple of blueberry plants and a perennial huckleberry I bought them wiih $"s I don't have , but I will eat good later ..he,he ,
It might even give me something to trade with in a year or two.. lol
What kind of seeds are you looking for? I have you on my list for a few , but what you would really appreciate and want is a better!!!!
I traded 42 packages of vegetables a peony and grape root cutting and sent that for 3..70 , I will get back some nice little goodies in a few days ,,,, when it is right it is...

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello, Just thought that I should drop in and say something. I've been around. Hope all is well with everyone. Off to bed. Good night!

Since a pic is suppose to be worth a thousand words, here ya' go! My rosa glauca -- I purchased 3 from Spring Valley Roses several years ago. I don't believe that they even carry this variety now. I love these rose bushes!

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The hips are very attractive. I don't see any in the photos. I'll keep looking. About pic with Chloe & her dog JoJo. You can see the veggie garden to the left, pear tree left rear, bamboo right rear, and rosa glauca along rear fence off alley. The blackberries trail along the garden fence. Oh, the good ol' summer time!

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

JoJo looks like he's got a big grin on his face. lol

Wow juhur, that's an offer that I can't refuse there! Oh, any seeds that you can spare would be great! I can send you several things in return, cuttings of Wondering Jew (regular purple and/or striped kind). I already am sending you some cuttings of striped Wondering Jew when it warms a little, prolly soon, it is hardy to around 20°. I can get cuttings of my Coleus 'Watermelon', Mezoo 'Livingstone Red', I just got those cuttings last year from pepper but I don't think I'm gonna have trouble with them multiplying rapidly, there should be more than enuff for me too, it's a neat variegated succulent plant, they even grow in the Winter which is a bit unique. Prickly-Pear cactus pads, Cholla cactus cuttings, Forsythia cuttings. My Bamboo P. bissetti only propagates from dividing that I know of or I could offer it too. Of course, SpiderPlant babies but you should be having a big one of those this year if your cat hasn't got it. I have green Pothos but it isn't very big yet. I'm expecting it to put on hopefully 3 feet this year, it might be big enuff to get cuttings off of this late Summer. My variegated Rubber Plant grows by cuttings but it doesn't have that much foliage back on it yet. I over-pruned it about 3 years ago and it still hasn't caught up. I have Mother-In-Law's-Tongue and SnakePlant that grow by cuttings. I can get Vinca-minor, it's growing like crazy in the backyard all over the ground and up a tree. I can get Virginia Creeper cuttings, it's all over the yard too. I can't find it yet, they don't have leaves. I'm sure there's more that's not coming to mind.
I'm not picky, I'll grow anything you have extra! Maybe you have Hollyhock seeds? The regular old maroon color is a beauty! They are easy to grow I've found out.
Stamps are no problem for me, I have lots of stamps. 2 cuttings per regular envelope has worked out pretty good for me.

Hi green, Chloe does like her dog! Rosa Glauca is a pretty Rose bush, I like the magenta color. Spring Valley Roses eh? Springhill nursery sent me a catalog in the mail today. I told my friend, "wow, they would like the rest of my money!"! It will be hard, but I'm not sending it! lol
Yes, that must be last Summer, this isn't green grass weather! lol
A thousand words eh?! Okay, here's another thousand! - It's Mezoo 'Livingstone Red'! Here is my cactus and some succulents waiting to go back out on display! -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I like the way you trade a little beter it does not require as much counting and sorting to do a few seeds at a time or cuttings either. We can do , as the weather warms and collect some more seeds ,
I have some I lose and some I get , can't grow every plant , but I would try if I could..!lol.
Guess I am cheap by nature when it comes to funds , I seem to enjoy the 50 cent to $5.00 trades more than others ,
Because I get more out of most of those ,I guess ..
Besides it is still a good deal when you get a $9.00 to $20.00 plant for that (the 50 cents )

Oh, I can't even count all the cheap or free plants and cuttings and seeds that I've gotten from friends that made nice plants later.

Ok, Will - I will give you a dmail when I get back to KC!

Ok great! I look forward to it!

We have squirrels at the birdfeeders and all over the place! This one up close doesn't even run off unless you open the door, I was about 3 feet from it.
That other birdfeeder down there has a squirrel in it. They're usually in that one on the tree but it's mostly empty now. There are 8 squirrels in the photo, can you see them all?! - There is 2 at the base of the tree, 4 others on the ground and 1 in the feeder in the yard and one on the feeder on the porch! The photo might be resized too small to see them all easily.
The other photo is just this one squirrel up close. - Oh well, I guess squirrels have to eat too! lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, what fun photos! We have a lot of gray squirrels here that keep us entertained. The dogs like chasing them.

I love watching our squirrels too. lol. Especially in the spring and summer when they perch on a limb above the deck and tease my cats. lol.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't have any squirrels but I lots of new snow !!!lol Would you like some ?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Yes, it was kinda fun it's own way! I spent about2 or 3 hours total trying to keep this one squirrel off of the feeder on the porch, he/she is gobbling it all up! I'd have to rattle the door handle and he/she'd run off, usually to come back in about a minute! I'd do that again and he/she'd run off again and come right back, we sometimes did this for 15 minutes at a time. A lot of the time, no sooner than I sat down and he/she'd get back on that feeder! I'd get up and we'd do it some more! I'd like to keep at least those feeders on the porch for birds only when I can help it.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a Tufted Titmouse and just a Titmouse? I discovered that that bird comes to the feeders a lot and I didn't know what it was until I looked up bird pictures on the web. - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Titmouse&Form=R5FD11 I tried to get some photos of one but they would get a seed then fly off, my camera takes a second to ready itself, but here's some blurry photos. - In the third photo you can kinda see the bird on the bottom bird-feeder. - There's that pesky squirrel emptying the top feeder out!
Here's a Mezoo, aren't the big variegated succulent leaves just cool?! - That's it in the middle of the photo between the Boston Fern and the striped Wondering Jew.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.