March 2013 Marching into Spring while flying a kite!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I guess I can handle a bit more snow. Rather snow than hailstorms, tornadoes, and heat waves. Last year's weather was rough!

shortleaf, send them here. This area is very hispanic friendly. I grew up with hispanic families that settled in this area at the turn of the 20th century. We even have a Mexican Honorary Commission that's been around since 1926.

We've been mostly sunny today and in the low 30s, but the wind is strong and bitter cold. March is still roaring like a lion!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well some little cuttings? came this evening ,, three or four leaves and a little less than an inch of stem? on one of them ..
I think they were (WANDERING JEWS) (for gb, lol) but I am not really sure , you see, as most of them was part of the envelope they came in.....^_^

House plants are a , June, July and August thing only ,,, yeah well..
I forgot to add I have a Gardener' Delight plant growing now also gb.. Good tasting easy grow tomato

This message was edited Mar 20, 2013 6:47 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

We need some carrier pigeons to transport cuttings and seeds for us; as long as they don't eat them. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I think will is a little aggravated with us , some of the seeds he was suppose to get from me didn't happen , Then (though they grew for me) Some of the seeds didn't grow for him ..
That I will make up for (or try too at least) but other stress I can't do anything about ..

Thumb up like ,, to the Pigeon idea ^_^ lol

This message was edited Mar 20, 2013 7:13 PM

This message was edited Mar 20, 2013 7:15 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

juhur, I grew gardener's delight last year & found it extremely productive & tasty; even with the drought & extreme heat. I prefer OP seeds. I am planting a few hybrids still, but try to avoid them. I'm glad to hear that someone likes this variety. Where did you get your seeds? Are you saving yours? I saved some seeds, but still had leftovers from last year that I used.

The seeds that I have been saving the longest are trombone squash, Christmas pole lima beans and Burgundy okra. I can't even tell you how many years I've been saving my lima bean seeds.

Here's some pics of the above mentioned in my garden: squash, lima beans, okra, & garden delight tomatoes.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I had a difficult time getting pepper seeds to sprout. I just didn't have any success. Then, I tried watering them with warm water to keep the soil warm. This really worked!!!! I've found that luke warm water is the best for watering seeds that germinate in warm weather. In fact, I need to go water them now.

juhur, Gotcha. Thanks for explaining. You seem very kind & thoughtful. : )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few pics from last year; More about tomatoes to come.
Gardener's delight
Broad Ripple currant
Ester Hess
Camo's #1 and a Diffenbachia

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

No, I'm not aggravated, silly! Just been running errands, I went to Home Depot and got my potting mix ingredients and got gas. I went a little further, (but in the same city) to get the gas but I wanted to get it for $3.239 a gallon! I feel good, just been busy, I am preparing a big post with a few photos, you guys have lots of photos too!
I have been looking forward to posting my photos and stuff, be back in a bit.
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I told you that I'm silly. 8-D How's your weather? I saw the forecast for your area & pepper is right. It's probably good that you did the shopping & gassed up tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

You all seem like family on this forum. Appears that you look out for one and other. That's nice. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

juhur, you cat is beautiful! A special breed? I love gray cats, but yours has long fur. Do you have to keep your cat brushed? Sorry so many questions, but I'm just curious. Also, your tomato plants look so lush. It looks like they're growing on some type of wooden support? As you can probably tell from my pics, I'm big on gardening vertically.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Btw, is anyone on here a DA fan? My cousin got me hooked & I can't wait to see the season 4 premiere on 3/31.

Send them there eh? Yeah, I think that side of St. Louis is pretty diverse, that's what I hear. Little cuttings huh?! Well, toots, I'll have you know they were nearly as big as the envelope!
Haha! I'm just being a wiseguy but I took off all the leaves except a few leaves on the top, to make the envelope lighter and kinda distinguish the top more. Who knows what they go thru at the post pffice! I've seen their sorter machines there, they are these machines that kinda squeeze each envelope so they can be grabbed good in this machine, that can't be good for cuttings. I bet that's where they get that part of being stuck on the envelope. I think they get smashed pretty good by that I bet. It would probably be better to put a piece of paperboard, (like a cereal box) on each side of the envelope when doing that way. I can do that again, really, it's no problem. Altho, they say, Wondering Jews are about the easiest to grow by cuttings, even after a few days they have roots. My cuttings of them here don't even droop after one day! I'll send you some more when it's warmer, it's no sweat. Oh, don't worry about those seeds, they might sprout yet.
I'd like to get more into growing veggies like Pepper's, squash and Lima Beans. I have a 4' x 4' raised bed to put together that somebody traded me for a new, cheap (but good air compressor) that I had extra. The raised bed is still new in the box. Maybe I'll grow some veggies in it!
The weather here has really been changing, even now they say we'll get snow every day for the next 6 days, who really knows. All I know is that it can't last too long! Yes, we get along pretty good and your a family member too! : ) DA? What's that stand for?

Your cat sure is pretty, ju!

Sorry my posts take so long but I'm not really a fast typist and I like them to be just so!

I've been doing a little raking! I rake down to the dirt, I don't mess around! - Here are the Crocuses, poor Crocuses, I will get them uncovered soon! - My Double-Knockout Rose Tree for $19.95 from Home Depot is budding out, that's good to see. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is your poorman's tutorial on how to save money on potting soil by making your own! The recipe is 2 parts topsoil to 1 part Miracle-Gro potting mix.
Hehe.. actually, it's (1) big bag (this is where your expense comes in, it was $13.97) of Miracle-Gro potting mix, (I think 40 lbs., it doesn't say on the bag, oddly enuff) and (2) 40 lb. bags of cheapo topsoil, (they were $1.25 ea.). You open the bags then you pour about a third of the bag at a time of each. Each time after you pour a different soil on top of another you mix them up with a shovel. When your all done you have about 100 lbs. of potting mix! Well, it looks like it anyway, and nobody is the wiser! I won a bid on this Japanese Maple 'Ornatum', it's a genuine grafted plant, I got it cheap on Ebay. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Maple-ORNATUM-HIGH-GRAFTED-/290880727329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b9d7a921
Here is the whole line-up. - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=japanese+maples+grafted&_sacat=0&_from=R40 Anyway, I wanted to get it potted up in quality soil and watered as soon as it got here, so I went out and got my poorman's potting soil! There's no way I want to lose this Maple. It might be my only savior when I inform my friend here that her fancy, big, pretty Japanese Maple cultivar is deceased! She'll know quick that her's died because I didn't water it enuff last Summer, that's when I cover my face cheeks and present the new one, though it will be quite a bit smaller. It's way smaller than that one in that photo I linked to, that's their mature plant, it's 15 years old, mine is 1 maybe 2 years old. I'm guessing it's closer to 2 though because it's taller than I thought, it's about 2 to 3 feet tall now, it has buds on it so they better open up and turn into leaves! It is grafted 22 inches high, the rootstock down below is likely straight Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum). It's grafted so high so it doesn't look like a ground cover later. I'll need to be somewhat diligent in keeping the below 22" portion of the trunk trimmed because I paid for the grafted part 'Ornatum', not the rootstock's branches and leaves! lol
The first photo is after I just got back with the ingredients. - In the second photo I'm about halfway done with my concoction. - The third photo is just a shot of the stuff in the can. - The last 2 photos are potting up the Japanese Maple. I think the fourth photo shows the can full, then the fifth photo it's not so full! lol
Will

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 11:36 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Folks who watch DA know that stands for Downton Abbey (PBS Masterpiece Theatre). My cousin got me watching & I'm hooked. Season 4 premiers 3/31/13 at 8pm CT. I checked out season 1 & 2 from the library before season 3 started so that I could catch up. Season 3 won all kinds of awards, so I'm glad that I watched it. Now the director of my department blogged that we could all learn from the characters' communication style in DA. I was glad to know what he was talking about because many didn't. lol

Downton Abbey! I heard good things about that show but I've never seen it. I don't think you get enuff sleep, greenbrain, you should go to bed earlier, people should try to get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep a day. I'm just up for a bit, then I go back to bed.
I sometimes get up when my friend here leaves for work in the morning. She likes to tell me thanks for the lunch I make her, so I let her! lol
Now where'd juhur go? And pepper is missing too! Happ is hiding and so is billyp! And I know the weather for Crit is quite good in OK.!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

My ears are burning...rofl.
Work is consuming most of my life......computer conversions are very trying to say the least. Or is it computer users that are very trying, or maybe just work in general!

Course no gardening at my house even tho the daffs seem to care less.
I have a lemon tree in bloom setting lemons, my fig tree has figs, all the plants in the solar room are doing great......the plants in the garden room are fighting stupid mealy bugs I think is what we call them. Can't take the plants out and spray too cold. I have got to get water ran to that building, it is impossible otherwise in the winter. Can't spray because my Mom's cat, sister's cat, and my cat live there also..... I got rid of a lot of tropicals when I knew I was going to inherit my Mom's and Sister's cats because some are poison to cats if they chew on them.

Well snow is on it;s way.....hope it stops by rush hour.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitty cat , is an adopted wild ,although he has been here since he was a very small kit , Like a few weeks old , That 2002
or 03 . He gets brushed fed good and generally get's his own way .

GB those are sawhorse structures about 5 feet tall made from landscape timbers that were originally being thrown away . I put them there after a storm took most of my garden one year .

Thinking to thank you for the considerations here I love that you all share your experience and let others join in , sometimes that is about all there is to keep one going
I think you all have some really neat pets also , besides they are fun sometimes , It adds to living !!
I will read some more and be back later ,
OH yeah, it snowed here last night , and inch or so , 21 degrees with a wind so the snow is staying a while (blah) I am done with winter this year...

juhur, I think we are all done with winter, but winter is not done with us! rofl....

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well considering they are having blizzards further north , I will laugh with that ,, only I miss my walks around about the green space .. Not trapped inside or anything , but ,, ice , snow , and wind are not my idea , of a comfortable walk ...

It is dragging on ,and on , even though I have seen a winter or two that lasted into June in the Midwest ..
I can be as sellfish at nature as I want to be , Only we both or all know what that is worth ... the weather comment this morning ( oh poop!!!) ..

Hi happ, thanks for coming! Your ears they are a burning eh?! I hear you about work, a job can indeed consume. My last day was Dec. 8, 2011, I was a home health-care worker at the time. I worked at home taking care of my friend's Mom, so I was able to login to DG when I wanted. And now, I'm able to login pretty regularly and spew my 2 cents out! : )

Wow happ, lemons and figs here, that would be cool!
Cats here have chewed on several plants that say poisonous to pets and the cats don't get sick. I try not to leave my houseplants where they can get to them but they get to them anyway!
They've chewed on and ate on my SpiderPlant real good lately, (I can't keep it away from them and still care for the plant)!

And Betty, (greenbrain) has a full time job with a commute everyday. I'm not trying to be nasty to her by saying get more sleep, but I know how it is to not get enuff sleep. One walks around with no energy, something like a zombie would! I'm not calling Betty a zombie! lol Greenbrain, (Betty) if your out there you know we love you!
And happ, I think you said you travel an hour each way or maybe all together, still a long commute, sleep is important.

Eeek! I'd like to rake a little more before it snows, I might not beat the snow! It's spring-time for gawd's sake!

That's some veggies there, juhur! Nice dieffenbachia there too, mine has one leaf I believe! Stray pets make the best pets! Yeah juhur, I agree, I am lucky to have friends like all of you.

Green's Okra tower looks like these Pothos towers that I saw for sale here locally about a month ago at a place called Suburban Lawn and Garden in KC., very neat. I want to make a Pothos tower or a tower for something, seeing that gave me the idea. That is a few tomatoes green!
Will

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 12:05 PM

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do! Hehe.. well, I didn't have to rake in the snow but why not, it is just a little powder yet! - My hands got quite cool!
I only raked 2 bags then walked fast back inside, after I put some birdseed in a feeder that is covered.
These Crocuses are feeling a little better, I tried to be gentle but I see I snagged one with the rake, dangit. -
I'm done raking! It is time to do the dishes, for I am houseboy! rofl!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I can't sleep no more than 6 1/2 to 7 hrs. & wake up without an alarm when I reach that point. Since I'm walking into the office around 7:15A, I have to go to bed & get up early. My commute isn't too bad. I leave my home at 6:50A. I've always been a morning person and usually can't stay up passed 10P. Sometimes I crash too early & get up for an hour or so. Then go back to bed. That's probably why it appears that I'm up all night. I even get up no later than 6A on the weekend. That's just how I'm wired. Just call me morning glory! lol (Though 4 o'clocks are nice too!)

I'm not too disappointed about the prolonged winter if this means the summer will be mild. We really paid dearly last summer for the early warm Spring. My MN & WI co-workers are really sick of the snow that's still lingering around. Well, I'm off to the kitchen to make dinner; mostly because I'm so hungry!

"In my world everyone is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies." Katie -- Horton Hears A Who.

Oh, 6 and a half or 7 hours isn't terrible. One thing about being jobless, you get plenty of sleep. Of course, unless your in the woods! I remember this one older guy security guard at the unemployment office. He thought he was quite the jokester, he'd always joke that, "the noon rush is almost here, that's when the bums get out of bed!"! That mighta been a little harsh, but it WAS funny! I always expected him not to be there long saying stuff like that, but he was always there! Haha.. I don't sleep until noon! Maybe 11:00a, but don't tell my friend here! That was just a joke, she has seen a lot of what I type on here because I'll sometimes forget and leave it on the screen. "Users" is set up though on this pc. I usually switch to the "select user" screen, I never talk bad about her anyway, she usually thinks I'm funny, when she's not scolding me! She is definitely the boss! I get plenty of sleep though. Ok, get plenty of sleep, morning glory!
Neat saying there, Seuss!

Yes, please God, no more terribly hot, dry Summers! Yeah, I don't know how people in MN. and WI. for ex. can stand all the snow for so long.

None of my seeds are coming up, not even the ones I purchased at the store. - Here is some Zinnia seeds still unsprouted. Here is the Black-Eyed Susans and some Cat-grass seeds from ju. - How do you like my automatic waterer? It's a kitty litter bucket with a few inches of water in the bottom. - So far, the plants that I've put in it seem to love it! I want a bigger container though, so I can set more and bigger plants in water to have it wick up through the drain-holes, I hope it works that way anyway! Here is a Dieffenbachia with one leaf! - I did that on purpose, I cut all the others leaves off so it doesn't use so much energy. I have one other Dieffenbachia in water, it also only has one leaf..lol
Here's the other Dieffenbachia, it's been in water a while, it's ready to be potted up. -
It'll be time for dinner here soon too, some roast beef stew, yummy! It has potatoes, carrots and onions in it, but I like the roast beef strips on the side, I souse them in barbecue sauce like chicken fingers or american fries, (not supposed to say that country anymore!)! After that, a drumstick (ice-cream) for dessert.
Here's my saying, "Don't eat yellow snow!" - shortleaf

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 5:48 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm am sooo sick of the snow but it is moisture so can't complain too much since we are still in a drought.

We got a heavy dusting at work and here at home just a really thin dusting in some places. Bitterly cold though!! I had to do some cleanup outside and by the time we came in my face was numb and I couldn't hardly talk. lol. Nose was starting to hurt a bit too. I used my hand to cover it when I could to protect it. Then we came in and hoped to stay in but had to help a few customers outside. lol

I don't have anything started yet. Just the usual plants that are struggling thru winter til I can put them outside. lol. 2 tropical hibiscus, 2 dracaena spikes, 1 orchid, 1 pregnant plant, and a meezo. Oh and a desert rose. lol.

I'm not a big fan of the snow anymore either, but it does help the moisture deficit we're in. It musta been heavier snow the further West in this area. It wasn't much more than a dusting here either but it was fairly heavy, it covered car windows and walks but not the roads, too warm. From what they said on channel 41 (Kshb I think), is Sat. nite into Sunday could be 5 to 12 inches.
Oh boy, that will be fun! And we're all out of birdseed! I put all but 2 handfuls of birdseed out for the birds today, so technically we're not out but that'll last like 10 minutes after they discover it.

I too, know about plants that are quite unhappy with the present conditions. It's like they're saying, "okay, 60° in the garage isn't funny anymore, boy!"! My cactuses and succulents are probably saying something like, "ok, the joke's over now, boy"! lol

Here is a few plants that I'm quite sure would rather be outside when it's warm! But, if I put them out right now, they'd be saying, "ok, it's time to go back in now, boy!"!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I bought bagged clematis and hollyhocks a few days ago. They are potted up and outside. lol. I probably should have brought them in but I wanted to see if they could survive the cold right now.

Will, I like the size of the jap maple. That is a really nice size for what you paid. I'm still going to wait and see what we get in at work before I buy from ebay. Just to make sure I pay what I want to pay for what I will get.

Thanks pepper! Yeah, I hope I did alright. I was a little skeptical at first that I might possibly get scammed but it turned out alright I think. I haven't got a closeup photo of it yet but it definitely has a graft union which is the first thing to look for, (graft unions should nearly all be visible or at the very least a difference of colors above and below the graft but usually graft unions are visible) if they have that then everything is good! The first indicator that it's too good to be true is the price, real JM cultivars usually aren't cheap, especially in person at a nursery or any seller with walls. But real stores sell phonies too, just look for a graft union, nursery workers might TELL you anything for your money!
I was a little worried that I was sold a seed grown Japanese Maple cultivar because people can say anything they want on the web and fold up tomorrow, (there is usually no 1 year return policy on the web.lol). There is literally hundreds of cultivars of Japanese Maple and they all come from grafting. I've seen sites that try to sell seeds for grafted plants, they are obviously just taking advantage of people that don't know that all cultivars of Japanese Maple are grafted. Or else, they themselves don't know, which isn't likely, in the nursery industry!
If you ever see a seller of, for ex., 'Bloodgood', 'Sangu Kaku' or 'Atropurpureum' etc. seeds, or any other cultivar of Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum) seeds, run fast the other way..lol They will likely grow from seeds, but they wouldn't be near what the real cultivar claims or most very likely, not even at all like what the real one's attributes say. A seed-grown 'Bloodgood' I guess might not be TOO bad if you don't mind it being green instead of red some of the year!
This is just an example, there is 7 Acer Palmatum (for some reason, 1 of them is listed twice) cultivars here listed on this page as growing by seed, impossible, they won't be true when grown. - http://www.mishobonsai.com/tree-seeds-maple-seeds-c-10.html They can't sue for slander, because it's the truth..lol

But, I digress. Actually, after I got in the bidding war with the other bidder, the plant itself came out at $13.49 and shipping was $10.50 which was close to actual shipping, the postage sticker on the package said $10.25. Something else I liked about that particular seller on Ebay (acer1987) was their sheer number of sales on Ebay, (7,040) and their 100% positive feedback rating which is unique, I've never seen 100%. Some of the other sellers of Japanese Maple cultivars I just really wasn't keen on! lol
Okay, all done with the soapbox..lol

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 2:27 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Off to bed. I've been chatting on facebook with my cousin in Oklahoma City, so I didn't make it back here until now. I'll read your new posts this weekend. I glanced over them & noticed that everyone is tired of the snow. It was exciting back in January; looking at the January thread.

Just in case anyone is curious about what I do for a living--it has nothing to do with gardening or the great outdoors. I process payroll and I really love it. People like you when you pay them; esp. when you do it right! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Good morning all! About me being a stickler for spelling, you can laugh at me now. I sent an email to a VP and didn't realize until after he replied and I forwarded the email to my manager, and then she replied back. Then I noticed that I had left the "o" off of the word "hello" in my initial email to the VP. I usually say good morning or good afternoon, but since I correspond so much with people coast to coast, that gets confusing. I'm now using "good day". LOL (By the way, he was quite forgiving.) My manager said that he probably read it as "hello" because our brains work that way -- seeing what we expect to see and filling in the missing letters.

My cat grass sprouted. That was really fast!

Will, I've heard of people talking to their plants, but it appears that your plants talk to you? I'm jealous. You must have a green ear! : ) I admire how you stay so busy. Though you're a bit young to worry about this now, but I read staying busy keeps your brain healthy and helps ward off Alzheimer's. An example of a healthy lifestyle was gardening. Yes, we all have "green brains."

Pepper, hang in there! The warm weather is just around the corner. I hope that the predictions for a mild summer are right with you working in the elements. You're much tougher than me.

We're suppose to get some of that snow too this weekend. Thanks for sharing! (Ha Ha) It gives me a chance to finish up the Easter Egg Hunt preparations; such as the pinatas. The forecast for Easter weekend isn't too bad. I'm trying to remain optimistic.

I better get ready for work. One of the cats is outside my bedroom door meowing pathetically. I guess that I'll see what he wants. Everyone have a great productive day and stay warm!

P.S. I was wrong about DA premiering soon. That was another show. Season 4 isn't until Jan. 2014. My cousin corrected me. He's the one that got me hooked on the show. Now, we're both having withdrawals! (LOL)

Sending curse words to your boss, that'll go in your file! lol Just kidding, everybody makes those mistakes unfortunately! That's funny!
Hehe.. yeah, I don't really talk to my plants! That was just a lame attempt at humor! Really, I don't smoke crack or anything! Yes, a healthy lifestyle is best! And keeping busy is good too! ------> (insert the crack line here!). I do tend to look at plants like they're pets I guess!

Processing payroll sounds interesting. I always was impressed that my paychecks always came out right, to the minutes increment and everything. I don't think I've ever complained about a paycheck, I always did think those people knew their stuff! And the vacation days and all that was always right and everything! I check them before I check the money! Okay, that was another lame attempt at humor!

They should take away your Downton Abbey fanclub membership, greenbrain! I tease a lot, I am sorry, I can't help it! I can be kidded back! If you'd rather me not, I'll stop, I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. Your a trooper, greenbrain, to put up with my shenanigans! : )
Will

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 3:10 PM

Good thing we aren't sick of snow because they are calling for 6 to 8 inches of snow this weekend.
This morning coming in there were 3 cars slid off the road up north....closer to the city it was fine.

Yep Will I compute on a good day 45 minutes one way to work. Course if it rains or snows that number increases alot.

The most I've ever commuted to work is 30 minutes, it was about 30 miles, you have a long commute there, happ!

Not looking forward to the snow, I should see if my friend here wants me to buy more birdseed.

Will, I was looking at some of the other sellers too and wasn't too impressed either. lol. I won't mention names but the one you chose is the one I was liking also.

I'm not looking forwards to going to work tomorrow because I come home when the roads are slick and the changeover is happening.

Commutes for me have all been around 15 minutes. I'm 10 minutes from anywhere. lol

Oh!! I just remembered!! I ordered some Ghost pepper seeds last week and got them in today. I'm gonna grow them and gift the peppers to a few people I know who like hot stuff. Will have to find some good gloves for handling though. Hottest pepper in the world!!

Great, I sent them several messages in Ebay thanking them and being a gracious buyer! I thought I had a problem with my Paypal payment at first so I emailed them about that about 4 times.
She was real nice, we got it ironed out, actually, there was nothing to fix come to find out. I will leave them positive feedback in a while, I think they did me good for the price. There isn't any real cheap deals like mine there except two, mine, the same tree - 'Ornatum' and one called 'Orangeola' both for $11.99 plus $10.50 shipping. And that depends on if one doesn't get in a bidding war. Man, those Ebay sellers really try to be slick by posting the same plant twice, one at a cheaper price and one at a higher price. I guess they want people to forget the price of the cheaper one and get the one that's a little higher, or just order the higher priced one or something! lol There is one there called 'Orangeola' and the 'Ornatum' both have a high and a low priced listing for the same plant! I see they both have the higher one as "Buy it Now" prices which isn't terribly bad, then you wouldn't have to worry about somebody outbidding you. Yes, some of the other sellers of those don't look quite as reputable. Like the guy selling the 'Purple Ghost' is using an image of the nursery that actually introduced 'Purple Ghost', as far as I know he isn't with Buchholz and Buchholz - who introduced it. He also appears to be using a photo lifted from their website or may as well be, having the name Buchholz and Buchholz on the pic! And his sell amount is low compared to some others, and his feedback is only 99.1% positive, so a few people have given him a tonguelashing..lol
It would be easy to give in to temptation and buy about half of those for sale on Ebay, but I restrained myself!

I tried growing some real hot pepper or habanero and they never grew!

On the news they are talking about 6 to 8, maybe 10 inches of snow this weekend, yippee! I think some areas will get more than others they say. I went to Walmart tonite and got a bag of birdseed and a bag of squirrel food, (mostly dried corn kernels I see).

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 10:10 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, now that I know that you're full of prunes ... ha! ha! Just for the record, the others should have warned me.
(Any newcomers on this thread -- consider yourself warned!) LOL : )

Pepper, that Ghost pepper would be good for making organic bug spray. Why is it called "Ghost" pepper? (correction)

Chloe is over this evening & we're working on the pinatas. I just got my laptop back from her. She's been watching "funniest cat videos" & ROFL! Now I know how to keep her entertained.

The pothos growing in the upstairs bathroom sink (that's how I got by with this--we have 2 bathrooms. lol) is now growing out across the vanity toward the window. I think that I should pot these vines this weekend. Since it's too cold to work outside, that would be a good idea. These vines are so lush.

I need to get back to my little guest. She's here for another hour. Besides, I'm not sure what's she's up to right now. Hmmm....

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 9:38 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have been browsing round for Black Pearl peppers , sigh, pause, pepper .. lol More decorative than edible , or so I read ,.
There are many seeds you take your chances with ,, J, Maples being among them . I have tried a few I usually fail .
I want to grow too many plants is why I most often fail ..
I am germinating blackberry , apricot , and about a half dozen other things like hybrid sweet pea and such ,besides all the tomato and flower plants growing presently , I don't know you all keep up with everything ,zoom, this is an energetic bunch here ,..
Some bulbs I seperated and took bubils from last year of some Muave purple prince Tulips are everywhere , hey something worked correctly ! yea double yea These are not flowering yet , in four or five weeks ,I would guess..
About twice as many as in the pic coming this year maybe a few more than that ,, Allright !!!! BA--BY!!!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7

Oh, I meant to include my photos of the graft union on my 'Ornatum' and an overall photo or 2 of it. It appears tall, but actually, the rootstock is roughly 2 thirds or more of it's height, it is high grafted so it don't grow like ground cover or something later, which is a good idea! The 'Ornatum' part up top is only 11 inches but that and the rootstock together make a decent height for that money, it's 33" all together, I measured today. I need to wrap more tape around the graft union, it appears that they came apart a little at the top.

The Ghost Pepper at Seedrack.com says it's 1,000,000 Scoville units, that is hot! - http://seedrack.com/08.html

Hehe! Yes, I suppose I am full of prunes and such! lol
Although, I wouldn't want you to think I fabricated the bad events of 07', 08' and 09', I'd never make that up.

Black Pearl peppers are for sale at seedrack.com , they are I think 4 peppers below Ghost pepper! - http://seedrack.com/08.html They are $4.39 for 15 seeds.
What's the purple flowers, juhur?

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those are the purple muave prince Tulips ...... What kind of ornatum ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.