What have you ordered for 2009 - Part7

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/968689/

Great JM's, Bill. The Peaches has a great structure. Shigi too.

Here's my new Florida Anise.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

I didnt order it. See the dump truck? You know when the crow flies and yells Cucka Cucka ! Well most people would go Moooo

Thumbnail by
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, loving that one. Is it the same as Calycanthus floridus which I planted years ago, but it was always eaten by the deer before we had a deer fence. This spring I found what I think is a Calycanthus coming back under a clump of inkberry. No blooms but I am hopeful it is back. I remember the scent being wonderful. I cut the inkberry back to give it some space.

It is raining hard, and I have lots to plant, but no hope of doing that this morning, so I am working on my photos. Here is a link to the spring 2009 show so far. And no, Victor, I didn't count to see if they all the new 7034 came up. Your job, where are you? Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bbrookrd/SPRING2009?feat=directlink

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I participated in my first co-op last winter.
Cladiums 4less.
The bags came this AM

WOW everyone was right, there are more than 10 bulbs in the 10 bulb bags and the five pound bag looks like 100. The bulbs are huge.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a great guy.
I'm off to GWD to cheer Bill on.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx - i am pretty happy with them.

Patti you are way to organized - nice pictures and i think i saw some pink daff's that i thought i had.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, thanks for the posting of all your new Japanese Maples. They all look great, I see no difference in your vendors. Have you come up with the one that you are most happy with so far?

I discovered one of my dogs topped a nice little one just above the graft. There is one little 6" branch with buds still above the graft. Poor thing. A couple others look poorly, but with buds. Time will tell.

Ge1836, Caladiums4less is a great vendor. I got mine yesterday too, whoopers!

I also got a sale order from Bluestones and they all look good with plenty of roots. I will get them planted later today.

1 HYDRANGEA paniculata Pink Diamond Half Price Special $11.95 $5.97
1 SYRINGA vulgaris FIALA REMEMBRANCE Half Price Special $10.95 $5.47
3 TRICYRTIS hirta Miyazaki Hybrids Half Price Special $15.95 $7.97
2 BRUNNERA Hadspen Cream Half Price Special $25.90 $12.95
1 DICENTRA Spectablis Alba Half Price Special $8.95 $4.47
2 groups of 3 CANIS CAREX Nigra Half Price Special $31.90 $15.95
1 FOTHERGILLA Major Mt. Airy Half Price Special $9.95 $4.97
3 VERBASCUM chaixii Sixteen Candles Half Price Special $14.95 $7.47

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, Thanks, but you should see the mess that is currently around me! Trying to get more plant labels made for more plants that are arriving. I got my mountain of shrubs from Ky yesterday and it is raining, but not as hard so maybe I will get outside soon.

I have been madly labeling my photo's, but that is labor intensive for me. Being gone for 11 days also made for a mad scramble to take pictures of what was up when we got back , but I still have beds not photographed.

I have a few pinkish narcissus, and will be adding more no doubt. But not a huge fan of them, yet! This is an old clump that I do love and it is blooming now. Never sure of it's name. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I got Verbascum 16 candles too ,its planted with agastache blue fortune.
Hope its great

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Whammo Patti, thats a great sight for sore eyes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I luv your patio too Patti

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx Patti - jury is still out on the jm vendors as the favorite - David ships next week and they sound like great trees. the trees from greers were very nice - i like Diana too - and Wildwood is also good - they agreed to replace a beni kawa that split and died that i bought last year for only shipping charges - so i added another tree to the replacement as a thank you - and then there is rarefind and forest farm whose trees have come back in fine condition this year.

keep those new ones watered while they get used to it here - i think we all jumped the gun on planting them - should have let the trees leaf out and hardened them off more. the sun has done them in a bit. I only have one on life support and water all daily.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Love your photos Patti

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

All your dafs are beautiful Patti! Your Pink in that last photo look just like ones I planted in fall labeled Passionale. However I also planted some I bought at a local place that were sold as Passionale and they look completely different. It could have something to do with the hot weather we had shortly after they opened. They were whitish petals with pale yellow cups and are now white as snow. Still pretty but not what I imagined. The pinker ones that look like yours, have some shade from the hot sun so that could be part of it too. I planted Billy Graham in fall and the dafs I have blooming there don't look right! Again it could just be from that 94 degree day which is oddly when they decided they'd open. Now that the temperatures are cooler maybe they will change to the right colors. The other one I planted was called Fidelity. Here's one- I think this might be what was supposed to be Fidelity, now that it is cooler and cloudy it seems to be changing towards the colors I had wanted them to be.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

my fidelity is not what it looked like either about 40% less in fact:)

I think this one was supposed to be Billy Graham.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Did you get yours from Van Bourg??

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

no - although Vanguard is also down a similar %

I could have them mixed up - I interplanted the two and didn't label them. I was in a rush planting them in Nov. : )

Okay I had to go check - I always get these places mixed up because they have different names for wholesale and whatever. lol I got them from John Scheepers.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i had more $$ in vanguard to that one hurts more

I know they charge so much more for these kinds of dafs and then they aren't what you ordered!
Here's my one's I think look like Patti's - these I acquired accidentally from a co-op but I ended up loving them. Although they were labeled Passionale - they look more like another Daf I've seen advertised - I just can't remember which one.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Here is an Iceland Poppy called Wonderland Pink that I picked up at HD the other day, along with a Becky Shasta Daisy, Pink Bellis and an Oriental Poppy called Victoria Louise or something like that. It decided to open yesterday. I love it! The color was exactly what I had hoped. I am obsessed with this color this year, for some reason. The other Dafs that were supposed to be Passionale are behind it.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Thomaston, CT

Patti, you have more varieties than a botanical garden! What a nice show----Bill, glad your new JMs look so great----what caused the crack in the bloodgood? They had some of those at HD the other day, quite tall, but I never looked at the price because I wasn't buying any more! Except my annuals---that's it----I've been cut off!

Thomaston, CT

That is a pretty color, Meredith----but I have too many pinks in my gardens---a definite clash.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

not sure - could have been weather freezing and then warm

Lol I think everywhere in my yard is a color clash! I can never decide on a color theme and I just plant whatever I love at the moment wherever I can find a spot or make a new one! : )

Thomaston, CT

I'm digging up one of the per. beds soon---as soon as everything is up----the colors are wild, invasives are everywhere, tall plants in front of shorts----you get the picture! I did it once before---just stuck the plants I'm keeping in buckets of water---also wheelbarrow of water---and just chucking the rest. Some are still coming up in the compost.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just ordered a slew of dwarf iris
Names of the first colage
clockwise from left
Widini
Stripe Three
NOidea
Overcast

Banded Tiger
Ballistic
Aurora Sea

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

and these
Fern Magic
DevilBaby
Blue Moss
Tahoma Tiny dancer, not pictured

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice stuff!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Love the Devil baby.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lotts of people do. Its going with Obsidian Heucheras.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

here they are

Thumbnail by ge1836
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

ooooooo, nice combo!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

help yer self!!!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Victor, so sorry to hear about that big JM of yours. How sad! And Meredith, you too, with your weeping cedar. Tragic!

Those are gorgeous dwarf iris, Jo Anne. My faves are Stripe Three and Aurora Sea. Where did you order them from? I need to get more. I love the ones I have. Right now I have baby blue and black-purple ones in bloom. They are NOID's. I'm posting a pic of the baby blue on with this post.

I recently received a shipment of lily bulbs from eflowergarden, that were bought through a co-op. They are excellent quality. I got Asiatics, Orientals and some specialties and a 'Black Beauty' Tiger Lily.

I also received an order from Van Borgondien. I got the large flowered Coreopsis collection, which included 'Full Moon', 'Red Shift' and 'Sienna Sunset'. 'Full Moon' looks a bit sad, but I think it will do fine, and the other 2 are looking great. I also got a mix of 3 double flowered Oriental lilies, and they look great also. I will have to give them a good rating. Their packing was great, too.

Tonight I went to a place in Brockton called Lambert's. They had tons of plants out, so I came home with 2. One is a pink Verbascum, whose name escapes me now, and the other is Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate', which has dark blue flowers and chartreuse foliage.

About Spiderwort (tradescantia), I have found the fuchsia purple one to be highly invasive, but the other kinds are quite well behaved, staying in clumps and spreading only by seed, so that I get clumps coming up here and there, but not a problem to remove them if need be. The former kind I have been trying to eradicate, and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I have found that the best way to dispose of the plants that I've dug up, is to bag them up in black plastic trash bags. I did that last year, and now I have nice compost from them. They're good for something, at least.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

Karen it's funny you mentioned the weeping cedar because my husband pointed out to me tonight, that there are some new green buds forming on the main branch. So I think it may slowly come back. I'll have to watch and see what happens with it.
I just realized I posted about a daylily order I got on the wrong thread! It was supposed to be here in my mind. I guess I had too many tabs open at once. Here are the posts http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6494863 & http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6494882

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Karen! I bought Dwarf Iris from
Snowpeaks owned by a DG'er
Mid-America had the stripe Three's.
Snowpeaks dilivers in july and Aug.
Waiting is so horrible

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.