Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Northeast Gardening: What have you ordered for 2009 - Part7, 1 by nutsfordaylily

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nutsfordaylily

In reply to: What have you ordered for 2009 - Part7

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What have you ordered for 2009 - Part7
nutsfordaylily wrote:
Victor, so sorry to hear about that big JM of yours. How sad! And Meredith, you too, with your weeping cedar. Tragic!

Those are gorgeous dwarf iris, Jo Anne. My faves are Stripe Three and Aurora Sea. Where did you order them from? I need to get more. I love the ones I have. Right now I have baby blue and black-purple ones in bloom. They are NOID's. I'm posting a pic of the baby blue on with this post.

I recently received a shipment of lily bulbs from eflowergarden, that were bought through a co-op. They are excellent quality. I got Asiatics, Orientals and some specialties and a 'Black Beauty' Tiger Lily.

I also received an order from Van Borgondien. I got the large flowered Coreopsis collection, which included 'Full Moon', 'Red Shift' and 'Sienna Sunset'. 'Full Moon' looks a bit sad, but I think it will do fine, and the other 2 are looking great. I also got a mix of 3 double flowered Oriental lilies, and they look great also. I will have to give them a good rating. Their packing was great, too.

Tonight I went to a place in Brockton called Lambert's. They had tons of plants out, so I came home with 2. One is a pink Verbascum, whose name escapes me now, and the other is Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate', which has dark blue flowers and chartreuse foliage.

About Spiderwort (tradescantia), I have found the fuchsia purple one to be highly invasive, but the other kinds are quite well behaved, staying in clumps and spreading only by seed, so that I get clumps coming up here and there, but not a problem to remove them if need be. The former kind I have been trying to eradicate, and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I have found that the best way to dispose of the plants that I've dug up, is to bag them up in black plastic trash bags. I did that last year, and now I have nice compost from them. They're good for something, at least.

Karen