What have you ordered for 2009 - Part7

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I made that same mistake with the spiderwort NFD.... thank god I got them out before it got real bad.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh no I have a spider wort a friend gave me! Should I rip it out?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Allison, yours were the purple spiderwort too that gave you problems? I planted white ones last year, they just starting coming up, hopefully won't be a problem. Where I put them I wouldn't mind them spreading some(or a lot).

Thomaston, CT

Spiderwort is one of the invasives in my garden---it comes up everywhere! The original clump is by the roadside where it doesn't mind the salt & sand, & I'd like it to stay there----guess I'll just have to keep digging out the volunteers.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL I dug out a purple spiderwort yesterday. Full sun and really flops, so, out it came. I do have some other places, but seems more tame.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

lollipop gerba daisy got me at lowes today

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love gerbera daisies they're such a "happy" flower.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I think gerber daisies are a natural companion for baby's breath. ^_^

I went to a local place called Lake St Garden Center and got some stuff.
Paeonia Pink Hawaiian Coral (which I already ordered from VB for fall delivery that claimed it was an exclusive!)
Paeonia Coral Supreme
Trillium grandiflorum
Chrysanthemum 'Sheffield'
Dodecatheon meadia
Montauk Daisy
Iris cristata
Lilium tigrinum 'Salmon' (Which was right next to a few lilies getting chomped on by lily beetles- I told an employee and he said he had just dusted with ?rotodone? spelling?
And a wonderful Pineapple Sage
This place is huge and I didn't have time to look at the trees and shrubs, I had my little ones with me and I was there for at least two hours. They have two big greenhouses and tons of perennials. Which is awesome because this time of year most places have a very limited selection of perennials.
Some more pictures will follow : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Here's the Pineapple Sage - I was so excited to get one blooming because I've ordered these two years in a row and have never had them flower for me.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I ordered 4 clems today. Thought I was done.

Looks nice, Meredith.

Which ones, Deb?

Here are the Peonias

Thumbnail by Meredith79

I almost forgot about this very interesting Ironweed Vernonia lettermannii.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Hagley Hybrid
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/51498/
I got them to go with the arctic kiwi I have all along a fence
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/208228/
I thought about using different varieties, but went with all the same. This wasn't my first choice, but Debbie only had 2 of my first choice. I actually emailed Debbie and asked for suggestions to go with the kiwi, either pink or white. I'm hoping I like it together.

Thanks Victor. :)
Debilu - yes do tell... which ones?
Victor, Did I tell you that my Josephine has made it after all. I am very happy. Now hopefully she doesn't get wilt again!

Very Pretty!

Good news, Meredith!

I like Hagley, Deb. I'm sure you will too.

I think I will like it, just not sure about growing it with the kiwi. Sometimes things look like they do in your mind, and sometimes not so much.

Do you have a photo of the kiwi?

it was the 2nd link above
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/208228/

Oops - sorry. Here is Hagley from last year.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

That's nice.

South Hamilton, MA

Re irises--I. cristata is a native American plant & likes dappled shade.

Okay great! The tag said part sun to sun and moist soil. So I thought I should do shade because my soil does tend to dry out. I'll be sure to keep them watered well until they are established. I only got one of everything because I like to try stuff and see how it does before I invest in a lot of them. It seems the natives are always the most temperamental! It figures because their the ones I want the most of. : )

Having problems with my keyboard.

This message was edited May 3, 2009 9:22 PM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Meredith, nice collection of plants. We have similar taste. I have not seen that Vernonia lettermannii, but love crested iris and would love that Lilium tigrinum 'Salmon' too.

I planted an order from Avant today between the rains.

Hakonachloa macra 'Beni Kazi'
Cornus sanguinea 'Arctic Sun'
Geranium 'Sweet Heidi' PPAF
Geranium x monacese 'Muldoon'
Geranium cantabrigiense 'St. Ola'
Aster lateriflorus 'Lady in Black'
Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eilers'
Thermopsis chinensis 'Sophia'
Albizia julibrissan 'Summer Chocolate'
Deutzia gracilis 'Chardonnay Pearls' TM Quart Pot
Cornus stolonifera 'Silver and Gold'

And an order from Seneca Hills

Aconitum Red-Wine
Asclepias hirtella
Chrysogonum virginianum Norman Singer's Form
Deinanthe caerulea Fred Mcgourty
Dictamnus var. caucasicus
Dodecatheon meadia Goliath
Filipendula camtschatica
Filipendula purpurea
geranium psilostemon Jenny archibald
Hepatica nobilis Lithuanian blues
Kniphofia typhoides
Rabdosia longituba
Symphytum x uplandicum Axminster Gold'

Here is a shot of the Seneca order. Avant was excellent, but I forgot to photograph it.

I also planted 5 double white hellebore from a coop. Nice big plants. No picture. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Thank you Patti, I always love your selections too. I am happy you got your Seneca Hills order - maybe I will be getting mine shortly too. I am glad to hear Avant is good - I've been wanting to order some things from there. Maybe I can still get an order in soon. The Ironweed is supposed to tolerate hot dry conditions which is unusual for Ironweed. The foliage looks like a Threadleaf Blustar (Amsonia hubrichtii) I remember seeing it on this website in the winter and thinking that I'd love to get my hands on one of those. Did I mention I have a huge butterfly garden? I try to have one of anything that is supposed to attract them. If they do well and actually attract them, I grow more. http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/468/index.htm

Meredith, I often do the same, try one, and if it does well, grow more. I started buying groups of 3-5, only to have 3-5 not do well.
I love the ironweed, would see it along the roadsides in PA in the fall. It is such a pretty purple. Tried collecting seeds, but no luck. Didn't know til now that it was available for purchase!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good morning Debilu!
Nice pictures everyone

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

BB I like that they put the shredded paper on top of the containers... a lot of places don't do that... can get a ton of spillage during shipping

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like that too.
GC tapes their small pots.
Seneca hill uses wet shredded paper.Plants arrive in moist shape.

Thomaston, CT

I have the geranium 'Sweet Heidi', Patti, & I like it better then 'Rozanne' which gets all the hype. Jo Ann, I loved the iris you ordered so much, I ordered a bunch for myself---I also got 'Aurora Sea"----the others were TB iris---also got a few DLs---hoping DH won't notice, since they'll be shipping late!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I also have Aurora sea and wished I had ordered Blue Moss, but I didnt.
Cant wait to see you in Aug.the garden has really changed since last year.
Its cloudy with some sun, I'm waiting for 4o'clock the mail will bring Iris from Siberian Iris Gardens.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Jo Anne, I bookmarked Snowpeak for future reference. I'm sure I will be ordering from them soon.

Jen, Meredith and Robin, only the fuchsia purple tradescantia is invasive. The other kinds are much more well behaved.

Your Hagley looks very nice, Victor.

Woa!!!! Patti, you are one ambitious woman there! You have planted so many thing this year. Nice! I look forward to seeing you place sometime this summer. I just bought that Axminster Gold symphytum yesterday for $15 at Tower Hill Botanic Gardens. I don't know what they normally run. It was in a quart size pot. How much did you pay for yours, and what size was the pot? I'm just wondering if I got a good price. My friend Karen thinks I paid too much.

Here is what I bought at Tower Hill yesterday:

Symphytum 'Axminster Gold'
Buddleia 'Santana' (variegated foliage)
Erodium reichardii
Corydalis flexuosa 'Purple Leaf' (this one has blue flowers and is supposed to be hardy for this area, whereas many other blue flowered ones have not proven to be hardy here)
Primula 'Francesca' (has green and yellow frilly flowers)
Stachys officinalis 'Nana' (a dwarf variety)

My Dad, my friend Karen and I had a great time at Tower Hill, and we ran into boojum and her husband there as well. Can't wait for her RU! I took tons of photos. Will have to go through them soon.

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey Karen
Snowpeaks is a DG 'er
I talked to her on the phone, for a long time,in case you need to talk to her.
She likes talking to her customers and Loves her Iris.I found her very sweet.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti I read that last list as order placed not planted...I thought you ordered more!!!! hee hee

Good to know the spidewort I planted won't be getting out of hand.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Flowerjen, I caught up today, and planted all the shrubs and the rest of the perennials. Well, I have one big hamemalis 'Jelena' that is heeled in, as it started pouring when I was just about to plant it. I will do a proper job when the rain lets up, maybe not until Weds. Tired and wet when I came in a few min. ago. Hot shower helped and some pain pills! I didn't stop to take one picture today. Dang. Here are the shrubs I planted along with a few of the perennials that I didn't plant yesterday. DH helped some, but he had agreed to do a talk at the school mid day today, so he was like a blister and showed up when most of the work was done!

1 Ilex verticillata Jim Dandy
2 Ilex verticillata Earlibright
1 Ilex verticillata Southern Gentleman
2 Ilex verticillata Maryland Beauty
2 Ilex verticillata Oosterwijk
2 Ilex verticillata Sunset
2 Ilex verticillata Shaver
1 Ilex Apollo
1 Ilex Sparkleberry
1 Hamamelis mollis Wisley Supreme
1 Hamamelis x intermedia Sunburst
1 Hamamelis x intermedia Jelena
1Malus Cranberry Lace

nutsfordaylily, You didn't pay too much. You paid tax, but not shipping. I love the list that you got, I wish I had gone too. I think I just lost my Primula 'Francesca' as it was showing leaves last month and now it is gone or I am blind. I love that one. Boojum got some great Primula too. Please remind me next year. Patti

Quoting:
Seneca Hill Symphytum-x uplandicum-'Axminster Gold'Pot size: 1.1 qt (1.06L) 16.99
zone 5 ~ Height: to39in ~ Sun to part shade, rich well-drained soil

A stunning variegated symphytum with grey-green leaves widely banded in yellow. It has bigger leaves and a much more vigorous growth habit than S. x uplandicum ''Variegatum'. We can never propagate enough of this wonderful plant to meet demand.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti, you are my hero!!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

great job today with the planting patti

i broke a promise to myself - had one more plant to buy, the hydrangea incrediball that still has not arrived at the garden center. still i came home with -hydrangea "let's dance moonlight" something d-nut should look into, red and blooms on new growth
dwarf hinoki cypress
and chamaecyparis "fernspray gold" this one was on my must have list

and i still have to go back for the incrediball - help

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

oh i almost forgot - 10 yds of hemlock mulch - does that count?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.