"R" We ready

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Gloria I live 10-15 min. away from there....have fun! ;o)

Delane

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Today is my 3yr old great nephews birthday! I have daylilies from that daylily king!!

Its sunny with a warm WIND today and i got a box of tropical hibiscus to pot up and
keep me company this LONG winter!

Dusty hope the packing is coming along!! you will be home SOON

everyone have a great day! go outside its nice!~

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It sure was a beautiful day. I had to spend the afternoon in the hospital with my mom. She had a bowel impaction. Didn't get it taken care of there so I had to come home and do some things to help it along. :) I did rush out and start whacking on my roses. Hubby jumped in to help since he knew I had so many to do. I cut and put the cones on and he came after me and laid rocks on top. We got them all covered up . I put air holes on the top. I know it's hot now but not for long. I hope they survive.

Yes, I have to cover them because I have such a large deer herd here who won't leave them alone and if it's not the deer it's the dang rabbits. Covering them is my only hope of getting them through winter. I used to cover my roses up years ago when I lived in the city and had good success with it. It's a lot of extra work but I sure don't want to have to replace them. You never really know what kind of winter you are going to have and we get so much wind here as well. This will give them a little added protection. I jus thope the heavy rocks will hold them down. I'm debating about dumping some bagged mulch around the outside of them to help hold them down more. I have the mulch out in the pole barn. I bought a whole skid of it. We'll see how the weather is. If it's cold they'll have to fend for themselves. :) I won't work outside if it's cold and windy.

We dumped the rose trimmings in the woods for the animals. Driving through I saw a small herd laying down. They got up and just stood and looked at me. I told them they better lay back down because in the morning there will be people out there shooting at them. I think gun season starts tomorrow doesn't it? Or is it the 15th?

Well, I'm beat. The granddaughter is coming here to spend the night after she finishes up her trick or treating. I can't wait to see her. She is going to spend the night. Yippee!! She is Cinderella for Halloween

Brenda

Thumbnail by Loon
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda......

Gun season opens November 15th...........What a cutie pie your GD is......I know you must enjoy having her...

Deann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

AAAWWWW Brenda she is the cutes little cinderella I have ever seen! Do you know anything about how to "root" a rose plant? My dad has one he really likes and every year it get a few less blossoms on it. He does not want to lose it. He would like to start another one. Any help would be appreciated. From anyone. Thabks Happy Halloween. Have fun with your granddaughter! Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Deann,

Thanks for setting me straight on when gun season starts. :) You can tell we don't hunt. I bet you have a housful of hunters at your house.

Ronna,

My mother used to take cuttings and stick them under a fruit jar and they'd just grow. She had a real green thumb. I looked up the directions for you. Here you go.

Grow A Rose Bush Easily
You can grow a rose bush from a single stem rose or cutting and enjoy a whole garden of memories with little effort!
Growing your own collection of rose bushes from cuttings is very easy and takes little effort.

Materials Needed:

Quart-size canning jar or mayonnaise jar
Garden gloves
Hormone growth powder such as Root Tone
Large knitting needle
Hammer
One fresh 12” or longer single stem rose or 12” cutting from an admired bush that has five or more leaves at the top
Sharp gardening shears that have been sanitized with alcohol

The best time of year to propagate roses is in early spring or late fall. Select the area in which you wish to grow your rose bush. Make sure that your rose bush will receive plenty of sun and adequate drainage from water.

Place the tip of the large knitting needle in your selected spot and hammer it all the way into the ground. Pull the knitting needle out of the ground. This makes a nice, neat hole for your rose cutting or stem to be placed.

Wear gardening gloves to protect your hands from thorns and to protect your cutting from germs. Make several small cuts along the stem of your cutting. Keep the gloves on while you cover all the fresh cuts with the growth hormone powder.

Immediately place the cutting into the hole you prepared with the knitting needle. If you are propagating from a rose stem, push the stem all the way into the hole until the bottom of the flower head touches the ground.

If you are propagating a cutting with leaves, push the stem down far enough that at least five of the leaves are NOT in the ground. It will look like a tiny plant.

Place the jar over the cutting and water. In approximately nine months, the cutting will have taken root and will be a new baby rose bush for your garden.

Note: If you are propagating during the summer, it’s important to water the cutting regularly, as you would a normal rose bush. However, if you are propagating in the fall, simply leave it alone until spring and remove the jar when you see new growth and there is no more threat of frost.

This is a great way to collect a wide variety of roses.

http://www.allsands.com/gardening/rosescuttings_zry_gn.htm

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi all.. Hope you all had a beautiful day today...It made it to 64 here down in Dayton where I spent most of my day...
I got home late as I had to hit the bank before 7pm, then the Dollar store for laundry things and dog cookies...(They get 2 animal cookies for their breakfast with Dad and his coffee) Also had to get some Puppy Pads and Chow for our new arrival...Please meet Lily below....DH lost his 17 yr old Pug to heart disease back in June, and he has been devastated without her...We got Rudy from a Veteran friend of mine, and that seemed to help him alot...but today, one of my coworkers had these pups that he was trying to home for his neighbor...No Way was I gonna pass up that lil smushed in face...LOL

Hate to leave good company, but I need to hit the shower and my bed.. I am off to the VA in the early morning to take a dear Nam Brother home to Murfreesboro, TN...He has been there for 5 months now after having his right leg amputated...I am planning to do a down & back, since it is only a 5 hr drive 1 way...I would like to get home so I can relax a bit Sunday to get ready for next week..

The packing here is pretty much at a halt until we have a move date...
I am just doing the extra things, good china etc...Still getting rid of alot of things too...

Have a great weekend everyone!!! See you tomorrow night , I hope...

Dusty

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Traverse City, MI

Oh my gosh! Just look at that little face. That little girl will bring you both lots of smiles and happy times.

Thanks Karen...She is a real holy terror...Likes to chase feet as you walk, so I am having to be very careful not to stomp on her...

It's 59* here today, and sunshine...I would rather be outside, but I am doing laundry, and cleaning the kitchen and dining room today...I cleaned out the linen closet and packed up a bunch for the Salvation Army...along with a bunch of other things.. I am getting brutal with the paring down...

I hope you all have a terrific day!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dusty,

That is one cute little dog. I hear ya on the getting brutal with pairing down. We moved for the first time in 30 years and downsized into a tiny house. I just did not have room for so much stuff. I remember putting a contractor bag inside a garbage can and dragging it into the house. I just closed my eyes and flung stuff. I had a huge linen close with so many tablecloths and placemats and sheets, towels etc. At the tiny farmhouse I have a small linen close so I just got rid of practically all of it. I kept the towels and put them in a big bag that hangs in the basement. The rest is history. :) Donated tons of stuff. Got rid of all kinds of knick knacks too. No room. I still wound up moving more stuff than I should have. I need to do another "perging" of stuff down in the basement. Maybe this winter. I don't know how I collected so much. Well, I know...............ya get new sheets and don't throw out the old ones................get new tablecloth and placemats and don't throw out the old ones. After you do that enough you don't know what you have any more. :)

So, go ahead and be brutal. You'll be happy you did in the long run. We really don't need so much stuff to live.

I did bring all my outdoor furniture and cutsey stuff. I have 28 acres now and lots of room to display anything I want. I fulfill my rat-packing by buying stuff for the outdoors. :)

It got down to 25 here last night but it's sunny and warm out now. There won't be too many more pretty days like this.

Brenda

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

If I had been there I would have been right behind you for taking a puppy from your co-worker! I have a granddoggie that is a pug and they are so cute. Ruby thinks she is a german shepard, though. Nobody dares get in HER yard!

What about this weather. I am in St. Louis, Mo. for the weekend and enoying 80+ degrees and sunny skies. Beautiful colors still here, too.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Dusty how old is she? My best friend has 4 all together now she just adopted 2 more from rescue I guess there tiny she says...My aunt breeds dogs and she gave me a "kennel dog" which meant it wasn't house trained and it was an adult I named him pugsley but unfortunately I had to give him back and she found a good home for him, my husband wasn't going for the messes in the house :o(... here is a picture of my girlfriends 2nd pug she got...."major tongue defect" but they love buddy anyways!

Thumbnail by detheo

She is 8 weeks old today... and rotten to the bone!!! LOL

The Pic below is Rudy, the male we took in from my Vet friend, but he may be going back too...He WAS supposedly housebroken, but not anymore, and I won't tolerate that either...He hikes on everything...He is large for a Pug...Lilys Dad & Mom are quite a bit smaller than he is, and our old one was too...

It is 67* here now, and I am stuck inside... LOL I just got back from town with a few groceries, animal food, cat litter and laundry stuff...Geeesh...Costs more for that than my groceries... LOL
I got a HUGE boneless pork loin at Krogers on sale for $1.77 a pound.. I am going to divide it in 3 parts and freeze 2 and cook the other for supper...
Now I need to get busy on the kitchen, and finish up the laundry...

Thanks for the encouragement Brenda....I told my son I don't care what the house looks like as long as I have a place to hang my porch swing and put my 2 Oak rockers...I have bird baths etc that have to go, not to mention my tubs of plants...I have been boxing up more Chatchkies to dispose of too...I'm with you on the dusting deal...I think I am going to adopt and adapt that old saying of **My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy** once I am retired, and change it say ** My house is clean enough to allow me to Garden and dirty enough to still be healthy**
My son tells me I will likely be doing alot of dusting because of the hay, wheat and corn fields around me...and I will have a wood stove, so that creates dust too...Time to get rid of the Junque...LOL
I am surrounded by fields here as well and it hasn't been bad at all, but then again, this old house has all new windows and doors, so it is pretty well sealed...

Off to the Kitchen... Have a good one!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I just came in from "hopefully" the last mow of the season....and I sucked up some leaves with my leaf sucker upper...I just love that thing it's my blower too! I pulled all the dead stuff out of the pots and tucked them in...took my hose carts in just need to get some patio furniture in to I'll save that for this week as it's "sapposed" to be nice a couple days. I'm still in my capri's it's hard to give them up....but being only 5 ft they kinda look like floods cause I didn't hem them...LOL the colors are still nice here...I wish my japanese laceleaf was always this red through the summer...it's beautiful.
It started sprinkling here just as I got finished just in time...I'll have to check out the 10 day forecast for this week. Do any of you feed the birds all winter?

I do ... ;-))

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i do too!!!

we went out to the woods and cut up a couple
loads of wood for dh's workshop! The grandbabies
were helping too! it was really a nice afternoon!!

I have in the past made my own Suet for the birds...I usually make it around Thanksgiving...because I add cranberries...Rendered lard from pork and beef, (You can buy this in the grocery too) Good bird seed, sunflower seeds etc. cranberries and peanut butter...Heat lard on low, add the rest, mix well and pack into a plastic dish, and freeze until hard, then pop out from dish and store in quart size baggies in the freezer until needed...I grow sunflowers for the seeds, add thistle seed, and cracked corn to a decent quality bird seed to put in my feeders...

Good Heavens... Where is everyone?? Are you all having 70+ degree weather there too and out playing in the gardens??

I only had 2 patients to transport today, so I got home early...Good deal so I could actually get something cooking for supper...I hate short order meals, even if they do come from my freezer... LOL

Speaking of freezer... they are predicting the *s* word for Possibly Sunday AM here...Rain due in on Friday AM.. :-(( I am hoping for a 3 day weekend, so I can get more tossing and packing done....I just keep saying get brutal.. noooo, get MORE Brutal!!! LOL

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank you for those directions Brenda!!! Very sweet of you my dad will be happy. So how is everyones winterizing going? seems almost sereall that it has been so nice outside. Really enjoying this weather. Cute doggie pictures everyone! I like seeing people walking there dogs. It always makes me smile. The dog looks all happy. I like walking my good ole boy! He smiles. My poor daughters dog had some kind of a skin rash she had to go to the vet. Why are they so expensive??? Wow. Well Im tired I have worked for eleven days in a row. We have a couple of people out right now. One broke her hip and the other is in the hospital very sick! So we are getting overtime! Yehawww!! Well have agreat weekend. I have three days off! Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I mowed the leaves today into nice rows(twice i did this)then we picked them up tonight when dh got home and dumped them out back,after we had a lil fun jumping and hiding in the piles!!!
Then i planted 80 bulbs that arrived from bert while i was mowing!!!! he has a great sale in the classifieds
I couldnt say NO>....i never can!!
Plus 2 plants the mailman brought that i got off daves market place!!!

Well it looks like we got it... I have to go over Saturday to finalize everything....It will be in Kalamazoo in the Milford area...Easy to get to Battle Creek VA Hosp., so that is a good thing... :-))

Edited to remove link.....

This message was edited Nov 9, 2008 11:58 AM

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Love the porch!! Good luck with the pool...we closed ours in Sept and I'm glad...a lot of work!! I'm about 45 min north of you...hollar if you need any plants!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

cute little sugar shack...lol ;o)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes nice place-i like the POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dusty,

Thanks for shaing the pics of your new how. How exciting! Congratulations. It is a lovely home and I'm sure you will be very happy there. You were smart to take pics of everything for reference so you can plan ahead of time how you want to place your furniture and things you wish to do.

THe sun is out here in AuGres. We had some rain this morning but it's drying up. Sure was pretty yesterday and the day before. We're going to get spoiled. I hope that snow misses us this weekend. Not ready for that yet.

My son's friend does landscaping and yard cleanups. He brought me over a whoel trailer full of leaves to put in my compost pile. I love cruched up leaves. Nothing better for your soil.

I bought some driveway markers yesterday. We have a large turnaround cement driveway and when it's covered in a heavy snow it's hard to tell where the driveway is at for plowing. Last winter hubby got off the cement and plowed the grass. :( I'm thinking ahead this year and have it all marked for him with those refelctors on metal stakes. Hope this helps. Drained the big compressor in the pole barn and blew leaves off the porch. Still finding little things to do around here. I think I'll bring my bucket of icy melt up by the back door. Might as well get ready. We all know it's coming. :)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Chat later,

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow Dusty!!! I will have to come over and see you!!! I grew up in Kazoo! Where is the Milford area? I was off of East Main. I like the photos of your house congrats. Quick trip huh? Well like others have said let me know if you need any plants. Or help with anything. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

dusty i took some more time tonight and looked at ur house again
I noticed the outdoor fireplace this time! cool
I also really like the third bedroom and the way the arched door leads off
the soon to be dinning room!!

Are you going to make a garden between the pool and garage?
Is there any path ways between them?
Fun Fun!!!
good luck with the moving

It was a nice day here and this morning I washed the bedroom windows and screens
so now i can look out and see my garden all WINTER!
I did go outside and do a little weeding and clipping, but came in to make dinner
and never got back out there

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Great house and I love the side porch. I hope I have as good a luck when I get ready to move to the Toledo area.
Was out in the garden all morning putting the beds to bed. It felt so good to be out in the sun and getting my hands dirty. Planted 15 bulbs for spring; hope the squirrels don't dig them up. Japanese maple is in full red and looks beautiful. Rain the next few days will bbrng them all down but at least I got a pic.

Thumbnail by ladydragon5
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I hear you I have raked twice now. Yuck. I do not even know how many bulbs I planted last week. I was so sore for days!!!!! But the front yard will look so lovely in the spring. Can't wait. I planted tulip, crocuses, giant snow drops, dutch iris, daffiodils, on and on. It is suppose to rain here for the next few days also. Maybe even a little snow mixed in. But we all know thats inevitible. Have a great weekend. Ronna

Good morning all...

The little Kazoo house is now out and off the list...The Listing agent lied to my agent (both from the same office)...She told my agent she had talked to the seller, and they had agreed on a monthy rent, but apparently all she did was tell the seller that we would be there at 2pm... According to the seller, who showed up minus her listing agent, she never discussed the rental rate with her...My agent was floored when the girl told us the rate, as was I...
It was alot more than we are paying here, so I told her thank you but I could not afford that especially as I was retiring, and would have no job to support that rate...The Seller lives in East Lansing, and was no more amused than I was to have made that drive expecting a signed lease, and cash exchanged for the deposit...Her agent even told my agent that the seller had agreed to allow me to split the deposit in 2 payments... NOT SO!!! I think I will be filing a complaint to the Board of Realtors...

We headed back to Sons house, and stopped to visit an Amish friend, and Son told him what had just hapened...He may have a house for us that is still English...It was just bought by the father of a 22 yr old boy who was married to a girl from the KY Amish community...The boy and the Father are from Wisconsin community, but have family ties to the Nottawa community...The boy and his wife have 3 small children, and they were given this house by the father...They have 1 year to make it Amish, which is to remove the A/C unit, convert the heat and hot water to propane, wood and deisel, and remove the electricity, and build a shed for the phone so it is outside the house...The Community built them a huge Barn with 6 horse stalls, an area for the family buggy and the buckboard, and a huge room for Sunday Meeting in the winter or rain, and a loft that will easily hold 1000 bales of hay...There was also a stall for the milk cow...

Long story short...The Youngins get a certain time period to taste the English ways, and then they have to make the decision to join the Church, or leave the community...The boy apparently tasted a bit more than he needed to and got involved in the drugs...Supposedly he decided to join the Church, get a bride and go on with his life, but the lure back got to him and he was selling drugs including Meth...
The wife called the boys father in secrecy one Sunday after meeting at the neighbors, and told him what was going on...At great inconvenience, the father showed up on the doorstep from Wisconsin and caught the boy in English clothes, and the house was searched by the county sheriff...He was smart enough to have them out in the barn and there was enough there to supply the town of Nottawa for a year...The Father Shunned him with the local Churches Elder, and the sheriff took the drugs, and the Father took the boy back to Wisconsin, and Shunned him in front of the home Church...He is now an outcast...
The ladies from the community came and got the wife and the babies and packed up their clothing and the Elder had my son drive, the Elder and ladies to escort her home to KY...The Ladies will come and pack up the rest of her belongings, and the Elder will rent a Budget truck for my son to drive to KY...He drives them around in his van alot, and has been very close in the Amish Community for many years...

Since the property has not been converted to Amish yet, the Senior Elder contacted the boys father to see if Jim and I can have it to rent through the winter or longer if we want it, and now we wait and see since they will do no business after sundown Saturday...We may be able to buy it from them because of the drugs...No Amish will be permitted to live there now, and if we can buy it, it would be on Land Contract only as they will not deal with the banks or mortgage or title companies...They go to the owner and pay cash money for what they buy...They have trusted English handle the paperwork for deeds, titles etc...
It is a lovely home, and I feel so bad for the poor girl..Here she thought she was going to die of old age in that house, and barely lived 5 months in it...
If we are blessed to get that house, I would likely be boarding horses there...Quite a need for it, and it is good income...My son has my sulky hanging in his barn...I haven't seen that thing in 15 yrs...I couldn't believe he still had it...LOL

Off to get some chores done, and keep from going nuts waiting on a phone call tomorrow...If the answer is yes, then I will be going back over there tomorrow...Only a 3 hr drive one way... LOL

Dusty

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dusty,

I'm so sorry the deal fell through on that house. I tried to follow your story on the Amish house but got kind of lost. I do hope it works out for you to get it though. It would be great if you could get to buy it instead of rent it also. I don't blame you from being frustrated.

There is no shortage of homes for rent. There are so many that aren't selling and people are turning to renting them out instead. I'm sure you will find something before spring.

It's cold and gloomy here in AuGres. I think winter is here to stay this time. At least we aren't buried in snow quite yet like some out west are.

Brenda

Hi Brenda....There are not that many houses in the area that we need to be, that are renting...at least not for a price I can manage once I am retired and no other income...OR will take Pets, OR they are non smoking...The girl wanted $950 a month for that house in Kazoo...That was way out of my budget...I can buy a house for less payment than that...

The Amish owned house is where we need to be, (near Nottawa/Colon), and was not converted yet to Amish ways...The Church or Parents often buy houses with land for young families to start their own farms that were formerly built and owned by Non Amish known as English to them...They give the young people 1 year to get the house converted to Amish ways...such as removing the electricity from the house...This house we are hopefully getting, has not been adapted in any way other than to add a windmill to pump water from the pond up to the garden area and the new barn...Sorry it was confusing...

Dusty

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Dusty that is so nice that your son helps the Amish people!
I've always found them so interesting....in a good way.
My sister once had a lttle piece of land in "sugar springs"?? I'm thinking thats the name of the place
I could be wrong...anyways it's an Amish community as well...so we went to the grocery store and my son was 6or 7 a
at the time and there were two Amish women in the store as well... my son says really loud
"look mom there are real live pilgrims" everyone around us started giggling and
I was so embarrassed and he wouldn't be quiet about it...he had never seen or heard of Amish people before. So we had to
tell him and all his cousins about the Amish people and there community.

I'm hoping the Amish will help you in your quest for a home ;o)

Delane

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Sugar Springs is mostly retired senor citizens near Gladwin here, if that is the one you are thinking. But many Amish in the area, so it could very well be the place you are speaking of.

They are pretty used to surprising people that have never seen the like of them before. I am still surprised by their knowlege of cars, use of calulators, cell phones, generators, and power equipment. And awed by the sight of their grains stacked in bundles in the fall making the landscape so serene.

Speaking of landscape. Woke to about a half inch of snow this morning. Let me see, Yup, still there. Wasn't dreaming.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes thats the place then we were by gladwin....and it's so beautiful there!!
thanks for the conformation cpartschick
My memory is just not as good as it used to be...arghhh...
Sorry to hear about the snow :o(....I so dread it...ughhh...

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Its ok, it is gone. People were coming into work today complaining about the cold. I told them that come Feb, they would think this is a nice day...they didn't seem to feel any better. Ha.

I'm sorry all...I didn't mean to complain or rain on the parade...I am just very frustrated at the moment....I am trying to beat the weather, and my retirement...I just wanna be *Home*.....

DH just got laid off and probably won't get another job...I'm trying to look at the upside...he can finish jobs around here, no more working in a place where there is no heat...but we are both kinda in a funk... wish I had canned more veggies this summer!!

OHHH Sarv... I am sooo sorry!! What kind of work does he do??

Over 30 yrs in tool and die (lost that job 5 yrs ago) ...then he worked in an agricultural place building 'weeders' for farms. He loved doing it, but it was run by his stupid brother who ran the businesss in the ground...they are out of money because of 'stupids' poor business skills. He just turned 60 and no one wants someone his age when they can get youngsters with more stamina.

We would have been ok except the stock market taking a dump and taking our savings with it! We are both just staring at each other...thinking what next?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.