"R" We ready

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Dusty

Welcome to the Michigan forum and to Michigan. We welcome you into our little family of gardeners.....If you need any seed, or "babies" I know I can help you out, and there are other Michigan gardeners who can also....just let us know when your ready.....I am on the east side of the state a little better then half way to the bridge and about 3 miles from Lake Huron..... As a matter of fact Loon (Brenda) lives a few miles from me......

Deann

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

Welcome Dusty

I'm as east as you can go in MI without falling into the Lake. I live within a few blocks of the shore. I'm fairly new at gardening but am learning a lot. Right now I'm busy getting ready for winter. I love the fall in MI even though I know the snow is not far behind. I'm trying to plant things that give me berries in the winter as I love bird waching also. I just bought a Beautyberry bush for my mothers garden. I've never seen berries so pretty. I hope it makes it through the winter. Anyway, welcome back to MI. Hope you settle in easily.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

I HAVE IRIS BLOOMING! I can't believe it, one of my iris from Spring is blooming and another has 2 buds. Notonly did I not know iris were reblooming, they usually don't do it in the Fall, do they? I have mallow, obedient plant, lavender, and lots of other things blooming, too. What a Fall!
Just heard that we are getting a cold front coming in starting tomorrow and gathering steam for the weekend. Still should be in the 50's then, but compared to the 80 we had today that will seem down right cold.
No wonder the plants are all confused!

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

ladydragon5, there are some reblooming iris out there. A white one called IMMORTALITY is one of them. Mine bloomed last year, but I don't remember seeing any rebloom on it this year.
Look out east sideres, there's a front coming through and the wind is really blowing hard along with some rain.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I just knew I should have cut the grass yesterday darn darn darn...but thats ok I need to get 1 last bag of fertilizer down so the rain is good...I guess I should have checked the weather yesterday for today...It's a little breezy here this morning but still nice out. Oh here comes the rain.....

Happy Fall to Ya All ;o)

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

E-gads, darn cold temps ! I too have not been able to get everything covered or moved! This is the first summer I started in the GH all of the japanese MGS. and Yep, the got the big freeze!! Even a few weeks before that I had a datura that I could never see the blooms open? But it got the steak in the heart too :( Darn! Guess I got the Canna and a few other plants out a lil late this summer. Geesh, they were all growing great guns too, sniff, sniff

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh sorry about that tootsie I know the feeling with the new pup and work I'm a little behind too !!!! any chance your comming to my neighborhood this week end??? I have it off and I'll even be home for once ;0)
Gloria

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

52* and Sunny here in OH...Thankfully... I am in the process this weekend of putting plants coming with me to MI into humus filled bins for the winter...Hopefully they will winter in the fruit cellar, and survive til Spring...I have some magnificent Daylily fans that I would kill myself if anything happened to them...I am repotting houseplants that I'm going to bring, and finding homes for those that I can easily replace like Pothos...
I also have Orchids to strip and soak and re pot into new bark now that the blooms are over...

I have been sifting and sorting and paring down like crazy...Lots yet to do...and I am anxious to get this over with and get HOME!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

hey dusty
hope things go well in your move. My sister use to live in bronson -now in gaylord.
I have been down that way many times over the years.

what kind of daylily do you have thats magnificent!
i have several myself and will be planting the last of my newest daylily order
this weekend hopefully with all the peony's and bulbs i have to get planted yet!!!

this is the end for me this year-i have been transplanting my bunz off this week
but im DONE after these last things arriving this weekend!

welcome HOME

Most of what I have are from Curt Hanson, the Hybridizer here in OH...

I will have to look at the labels, but some of the small fans go for $250 each, and are VErrrrrrrrrrY rare...They were shared with me by a very dear friend...Needless to say that alone makes them all the more precious, rather than the monetary value...

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh i have some C hanson daylilies also! some of D hanson too!
the past couple years i have really been drawn towards the blue eyed ones!!!
Can understand why you dont want to lose any!

Thumbnail by notmartha

Have:
Enchanting Esmeralda
High Art
Kissed Off
Joan Derifield
Stolen Treasure
Jerry Hyatt
Allisons Wedding
Zazu Pitts
Jack Spratt
Velvet Ribbons
Maymont Double
Lindy Twirl
Legendary Stardust Cowboy
Bali Watercolor
Sara Christine
Ascension by Fire

and a couple others the tags are tucked and I can't see them very well..

This message was edited Oct 18, 2008 6:18 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

dusty
nice list there
i know i dont have any of those ones
I have several that just say Hansen
then some that say Hansen-D
and this is what i have under Hansen-C
Gollum
Snake Eyes

I have a link to most of my daylilies-will be updating this winter when the snow is falling
and the winds are howling and the drifts are drifting and im bored to tears waiting till spring
As i looked over my page i sure saw some names over and over again--those blue eyes! and weird eyed and toothy and ................................

Thumbnail by notmartha
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well hello there dusty. I have not been on to much. Getting the yard and house for the cold winds blowing. Planting bulbs, and bulbs, and bulbs!!! Not sure how many I have planted. My back is aching knees aching and legs aching. Did I mention back??? LOL. Isn't it fun getting older? Most of the plastic is up 0n the windows, I've insulated some things. Just having a gay "ole time!!! The sun has been out the past few days. really nice out today kinda windy. But thats okay. We can still look at the beautiful colrs. Well unti the wind blows them all off the trees. Well gotta go. Honey is home time for some chow!!! Have a good week everyone! Ronna

Traverse City, MI

It's been a wonderfully beautiful autumn in Traverse City. We got our first touch of frost last night in the lower part of the garden, but still have roses blooming. The leaves are falling but there's still lots of color. My husband has been chopping up the leaves for the compost pile - it really makes things break down faster. The apple orchard was harvested last week, but we had them leave a few trees for ourselves and friends. Great crop this year, even though the late spring freeze took out my peaches and some of the sweet cherries. I've spread all this year's compost, cut back the perennials, and stashed in 4 yards of shredded bark to winterize the roses in November. Planted over 200 bulbs yesterday. Aired out the quilts. Looked up some recipes for green tomato sweet pickles, so they don't go to waste. My husband's been busy with leaves and winterizing the boat, but he took out time to put in a zip-line for the granddaughters in the woods. What a great hit, and they can use it this winter as well. I've started a stash of novels and gardening books and a little brandy to warm up the winter. Like you, I'll miss the garden like crazy, but will enjoy the down and 'dreaming' time of winter too. I'm sure I won't be as mellow about it all by the end of February though!

Hello Karen and Ronna!! Nice to meet you both...

I awoke to 29* when I got up at 6am and 32 by 9am...It made it all the way up to 59* here today, so I got a good dose of what is yet to come...

I have roses trying to send new leaves, one has a bud on it...Everything else that I am bringing home to MI with me, seems to think it's Spring, and trying to grow...I keep saying **DOWN BOY** but it isn't working!!!

I have lots of books, and ordered my seed/plant catalogs so I hope I'm okay for reading material, but I do have a winter project to start on that I am looking forward to...A lovely afghan in a box kit I got brand new unopened at the Goodwill for $2...The Big shot is Knitted, and the small is crocheted.. I can't knit worth a hoot so I will attempt the crochet....LOL
Apparently this came from Kmart for a nice price and was donated...
Tha Kiddo is stocking firewood for me, so hopefully I will be able to nest in very nicely... LOL

If you all don't mind, I would love to show you Peaches.. our Barn cat rescue kitten...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone.

It is a rainy day here in AuGres. I don't mind. I need a break from all the fall chores. We're almost done. We finally got the boat out of the water, winterized and backed up into the pole barn. We've been steadily working on the leaves. I think one more round with the mowers will take care of what's left. The one good thing about ash trees is they lose their leaves early and don't hang on forever. I had to drive to West Branch to buy rose cones. Nobody around here had any. When the rain stops and it warms up a tad I'll go out and cut all the roses back enough to fit under the cones and spray them with the waxy stuff I can't think of the name of and will wait till November to cover them and put a rock on top. I wouldn't go to all this trouble except the rabbits and deer will eat them all up if I don't cover them. They're planted next to the driveway too and I'm afraid hubby will run over them scraping the snow with the tractor this winter. It's hard to tell where the driveway is when it's covered with a heavy snow.

Some of my yard ornaments need repainting. I'm hoping I can do some of that in the basement this winter. I also have a ton of books to read that I haven't dug into yet. Hopefully I will this winter. I'm not crafty so I'll probably play on the computer and watch a lot of TV.

I'd like to see Peaches the barn cat.

Have a great day everyone.

Brenda

Good Morning Brenda!!

It's only 49* but sunny still here in SW OH...It is actually warmer in MI at my Sons, than here.. LOL

I have an unplanned day off today, so I am getting a few more things done.. Bringing in the porch furniture and getting it all cleaned and ready to go..

Okay.. Here is the rescued Barn Cat...now House Cat... LOL
She, along with her newly pregnant Mom, and 7 siblings were dumped here at the farm...Only 6 of the 8 survived...They all had upper respiratory and eye infections...

The first 2 are the Before pics...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

You can see how pitifully thin she was...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

This is the Fat Cat now....Look at the smile on her face... LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Ooooh, how sweet she is!!!!!

Traverse City, MI

She is so sweet. We have two cats we got at the pound who are now spoiled happy inside cats. But we also have two outside feral cats that would never agree to coming inside. They are finally tamed enough to come on the porch for food (even if I'm on the porch). We were able to trap them and have them spayed,and then we re-released them. I thought they'd be pretty upset and never come back after that trip to the vets, but two hours later they were back on the porch for dinner!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

awwwwwwwwwwwww........... the cat is so cute. It looks so much healthier now that it's put on weight.

I don't have any cats now. PJ died at the ripe old age of 22 and PJ died at 16. We do have two spoiled retired showdogs that are mother and son. They are bichon frises. They don't shed. I admit I don't miss all the hair and cleaning the litter box. Kitties are sweet though.

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

nice looking kitty Dusty I bet all of them love you in there own cat way !! I had to take puppy Traveler to the vet today for shots he now weighes a whooping 36 lbs hes gaining over 1/2 lbs a DAY Karen ( vet ) said that was good I'm not sure I think in 2 years he will weigh 200 lbs SCARY hope you have a great day ;0)
Gloria

Good Evening all...
Loon...I didn't want a cat at all, but I couldn't stand by and watch her die without trying to help....I guess it is just the old Army Nurse in me...I used to raise and show Ocicats in the 80's, and I agree.. I was glad to be rid of the litter pans...My Daughter had a cat that was 27 when she finally died.. I know, because it was dumped in the trash, at a truck stop in OK younger than 6 weeks old...I brought her home, and she was daughters baby from then on till she crossed the Rainbow Bridge...

Gloria... what breed is your Traveler?? I had a Great Pyrenees male that was 230 pounds at 3 yrs old, and his littermate sister weighed in at 187...
Neither had an ounce of fat on them....When I get home, I am going to be on the hunt for another pair to guard my stock....They are magnificent dogs, and very popular here in OH for sheep and goats...

My 14+ yr old rescue Mini Poodle Pilar is starting to have serious bladder issues, and no disease causing it...She was so embarassed last night, she wouldn't come and get in the bed...(all my dog are rescues) My 8 yr old Maltese/Westie cross has cancer that is currently in remission...But I doubt that is going to last very much longer...I see far too many markers telling me things I don't want to see...She was almost dead when I got her, and nursed her back to health as a tiny puppy...
I have a 5 yr old Standard Poo that is now a service dog, and a little white Mini that is about 3 that I rescued out of the middle of I-75 just before Halloween a year ago...Dumped in the rain, and matted to the bone... His name is Boo....LOL Our newest addition is another Chinese Pug named Rudy that one of my patients gave me for my Hubby who lost his 17 yr old Pug back in June...

And the Answer to the Question Miz NOT is NO!!!! It was 39 here this morning, and will likely be 29 or less tomorrow morning..They are calling for a hard freeze tonight, and I have to be off to work by 5:30 tomorrow... I have the heater turned on to HOT in the Wheelchair van and ready for me to run out and start it up while the coffee is brewing...It should be nice and toasty when I leave here, but it won't be for long, once I have to open the back doors and drop the hoist to load my first patient.... ;-((

I am SOoooo Not ready for this weather with the impending move...I just hope it holds till we get there...Still no news on a date yet....:-((

I hope you all have a wonderful tomorrow, and sleep tight and stay WARM!!! LOL

Dusty

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dusty Traveler is a yellow lab who weighes 36lbs and is in my lap right now we have to do our a.m. cuddle won't be long be for hes to big for that so have to do it while I can ;0)
have a great day every one I'm off to get ready for work and walk the dog
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

glevey how is the "little" guy doing? Sounds like he is wonderful for you.

Dusty you have quit the house full. Wow your kittens are so cute. I would have a couple more cats but my hubby is allergic. We do have two cats and a rescued dog from the spca. We've had him one years and three days. What a joy he is a very nice companion. He is now 4 years old. A far cry from our 17 year ols we just had to put down. Max is his name. We also have a 15 year old cat named pepper. A 9 year old cat oreo. Guess what colors she is! I really enjoy all the animals. Max just loves to walk and so do I so we go on lots of long walks together and just soak in the beautiful day. Good luck on that afaghan. Nice. Have a great day everyone. Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Well...ice on the windshield...finally got here...wowow...am I ready...lol..heck no...the flowers will be mush very soon...and the leaves are coming down..Oh well I have lots of plans for the winter.....lol...but I am sure it will be long...lol

have a good one everyone....smiles..Diana

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 27 here last night. Frost on the ground this morning. Sun is out nice and bright now. I still have a few things to do before the snow flies which according to the weather report I heard this morning will be this weekend.

I was able to save my geraniums but never did get around to saving the sweet potato vines. I wonder if they're dead? I'll have to go check and see today. I have to plant my mums in the ground too.

Today is dog grooming day. I have two to do. That will take me 5 hours or more. It's the only thing I don't like about having dogs. They look and feel so much better after a nice bath and haircut.

Have a great day everyone!

Brenda

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Frost hit here too...all my dahlias are toast...drat...why didn't I pick more of them last night! Oh well...time has come. They are saying the nasty "S" word for this weekend. Our furnace went south, so a repairman is coming this afternoon...always something!

Ohhhhh Sarv!!! Tell me it isn't troooooo!! Not the *S* word already!! I think you are closest to where I am going to be moving...

It was 28* here this morning at 4am...Moon shining over the newly cut cornfield looked like the *S* word was already here too...some serious frost...Even had a couple patches of froggy fog on the way to my patient... :-((

Ronna...That looks alot like my sons dog Qtip aka Q-E...She is a Spitz...Also looks like my bratty Maltese mix only she is much smaller...

Gloria, I DO hope you were just kidding about that Lab weighing in at 200 when grown...

Well, I am off to bed....4am comes early!!

Have a wonderful day tomorrow!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dusty I am I think !!!! hes in my lap right now and I'm hoping he dosent he loves Daves ;0)
Gloria

Good Afternoon Michigan!!! 45* here in the Buckeye State....Sunny and windy, and I refuse to go out in it... LOL
That's a lie, I have to go to Lowes and exchange an Infrared electric heater I bought last night on the way home from work, that I don't like...Looks like a flat panel TV but it doesn't put out heat worth a hang...I am going to get that oscillating Ceramic tower I think instead...
I absolutely refuse to spend $500+ for 150 gals minimum order of fuel oil when I don't know how much longer we will be here...So far, heaters in every room we use, are working just fine...and I'm sure we can use them over there, or if not, I can give them to someone who needs them...

I have all of my plants done and ready to move, so that chore is over with...I brought in most of my porch furniture last weekend and got it cleaned and stored away in the library/office that I am now using to put packed boxes in, the extra beds, etc...I am trying to get everything we don't use daily, packed up and/or brought down from the upstairs, and stored in that room ready to load up in the truck...The pic below is what I am moving out of, so you can see I have my hands full...The 2 rooms in the back wing upstairs, are empty and unused, as is the 3rd floor in the main house, so that helps...The far back one WAS going to be my winter plant room, but Oh well... LOL....
I am getting rid of alot of things, including some furniture, so it won't be as bad as it looks...
I still have no word on a move date, but as long as it isn't in the middle of a blizzard in Feb., I don't care... LOL

I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

Dusty

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Nasty here....cold, windy, rainy and just plain rotten. Sat out in a football game and froze my lower half off. But now I'm home in a warm, toasty room with the woodstove blaring.

Snow is coming on Monday...but then it is forecast to warm up to 60 - just right for digging up my dahlia tubers. Our trees are full of leaves, so I'm praying that the snow holds off. One winter we lost the leaves and had snow on top of them and then our grass died....what a mess.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Gang
Just in from planting two beds of garlic for next June. Thats about 400 garlics in for the season.
I planted even some from last years crop! and, thats a first. I was so hoping to get out inbetween
the rain drops, and thank god, thats what I did.
While I was working, our corn was being harvested-everyone was busy! LOL
I put our turkey into a small confined spot and now he is going to get the fat on him and soften
up for the turkey day. yum!

Everyone around us is shooting off their shotguns, BOOM! Its sounding like Iraq here! LOL
those deer don't have a chance in heck with being surrounded by gung ho huge hunting
hoards of hunters. Say that 10 times fast ! I thought I might have DH get me a few deer to
even out the winter food bill, but we cannot afford the chopped beef to mix with it, and I
am not fond of just straight deer meat, even if its ground. It needs some beef in it to make
it go down without gagging. If Lou got a deer, I could skin it and chop it up nicely. Need
a meat grinder, but our friends would have one we could borrow, so I am just kinda
wondering if anyone here had some recipes or something that would make it worthwhile
to have deer meat in the house?

sarv-its not too bad today, I also have been outside all day. I think you need one of those
portable tents to take with you to the game! LOL! I think you might be getting Florida blood
in your veins! Ack! Shoot, we were outside today sunbathing!

No furnace this year. Just the woodstove, and we have 3 cords stacked up right by the
back slider to pop the wood in when we need it. Its going to be easy on the fuel bill
by far this year. thank god!

okay, save some dahlia tuber pieces for me please Sarv. Do you have any pink ones?
Sheri

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello gang,

It was cold and rainy here in Au Gres today. Very dreary. The sun was out for a while this morning then it just went away. I was going to plant my mums but didn't get around to it. I thought I'd wait till it wasn't so cold and wet. I still need to cut back my roses so they'll fit under my rose cones. It's supposed to be around 60 next Friday so I'll wait to do it then. We've got everything else done pretty much. Just need to put the garden hose away and turn off the spigots to the outside.

I don't think gun season for deer starts here till November. I haven't heard any guns going off. When we get venison we have pork put in with the ground meat. Hubby and son both like jerky so we have some of it made up into that.

Our friend goes through 17 cords of wood for winter. We have a wood burning furnace but we don't use it. We use the propane one instead. If the price keeps going up we'll go back to using wood. We have twenty acres in wood we can burn. It's a lot of work though.

I predict we'll have lots of days ahead to drink tea or coffee and chat online about our gardens.

Have a great weekend.

Brenda

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, wowow. you too are busy...Aw, deer is great..we also put pork in it..not beef..wowow beef is a lot of money...if you clean your own...make sure all the tallow is off...makes it better for sure...We cook it as we would beef...same way...getting rid of all the tallow is the secret I think..

well stay warm..all..better days ahead..not today..brrrr....windy here..too and damp...stopped raining though..so now let mother nature..give a long Indian summer..lol....kkkkkk....have fun..

smiles..Diana

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very chilly here today also. Wind is blowing stitting here in my comfy robe and flannels!!! I like sweater weather. But not windy rainy cold miserable. Can not take Max for a walk and he really misses it. So do I. Nice home dusty! Very big. Would like that alot. Now I forgot are you moving to Michigan for a job? Wow what a chore to move in the winter. I have done that a few times also. Good luck to you. I do love the stove dinners. The scent in the house is wonderful. Hardy stick to your ribs meal. Have a great weekend. Ronna

WP.....I have one pink that is huge...I don't know how it will do in the tuber production though. Oh I do have several 'orfeo' dahlias. They do not grow very tall - maybe 36 at most...but flower non stop!! Bet glad to share if they make it through the winter.

We don't cut wood anymore...just buy it and it even went up!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Everyone seems to be ready for Ole Man Winter. I have a few more things to do also.

Wiggley Paw.......Rifle season for deer does not start till November 15th. You must have some pretty noisy Bow Hunters there. If your hearing hunters shoting deer right now then they have to be violating and with that I would call the police. You many want to get some more wood in if that is the only thing your gonna be heating your home with this winter. Do you have one of those outside wood burner furnace the kind that look like little houses.....

Loon, did ja get those tree sees planted??

Deann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.